World Cup 2010 Viewing?

lostboy777

Just called UBC. They confirmed no English commentary on their HD channel 111 nor is there English commentary available on free to air channel 3, 7, 9 or 11. RS bought the right to show picture only.

Apart from clearer picture what is the point of upgrading to True HD?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just called UBC. They confirmed no English commentary on their HD channel 111 nor is there English commentary available on free to air channel 3, 7, 9 or 11. RS bought the right to show picture only.

Apart from clearer picture what is the point of upgrading to True HD?

So you can come on here and brag about how much more clearly you see England lose in the quarters on penalties?

Does anyone know if, as a pub, I have to pay 10,000 baht for my venue or for each of my 3 TV'S? and do I have to pay that regardless of whether I show the True HD pictures or show the games on Thai TV? And the general consensus seems to be no English commentary in any case (apart from using Astro which I don't think i can get in Chiang Mai).

the statement i read from the RS head honcho was that bar and restaurant venues must pay 10,000 baht license fee per screen, irrespective of whether it's showing true or terrestrial.

his statement also pointed out that streetside som tam stalls didn't have to buy a license for showing it on a small portable telly. which is nice of him.

UBC also confirmed to me today that there will be no English commentary on HD or any other channels.

Absolute piss take,have emailed Head office.Maybe if everyone rang in to complain,they might do something,then again..............

PST.

People mention that Astro are showing the World cup games live with English commentary. I would imagine that this would be on the supersport channel, but this is going to dissapear on the 1st June isn't it? What channel if any will world cup games be shown on , if this is the case? Any astro viewers out there can shed any light?

Like others, Tuskers were 'guaranteed' an English commentary option on first enquiring about the HD Box. This guarantee was repeated no less than 5 times right up to and including at installation. In retrospect I now wish I had written 'Subject to promised English commentary' on the contract (Doh!). In my view True Visions have deliberately misled the English speaking public in order to get sales of their HD system. I am sure there are many that would agree with this.

I would be interested in hearing by PM from anyone that feels they have been equally misled and has purchased the HD box. I know we probably won't get anywhere with it but there are still steps that can be taken and the more subscribers we have prepared to complain the better chance we have of getting something back. Also I would like to lobby True to have a game noise but no Thai commentary option played on their second audio channel. That way we can get the atmosphere of the games without having to listen to Thai commentators.

Almost certainly there will be no English commentary. C'est la vie there is still a World Cup to watch and I can't wait.

Like others, Tuskers were 'guaranteed' an English commentary option on first enquiring about the HD Box. This guarantee was repeated no less than 5 times right up to and including at installation. In retrospect I now wish I had written 'Subject to promised English commentary' on the contract (Doh!). In my view True Visions have deliberately misled the English speaking public in order to get sales of their HD system. I am sure there are many that would agree with this.

I would be interested in hearing by PM from anyone that feels they have been equally misled and has purchased the HD box. I know we probably won't get anywhere with it but there are still steps that can be taken and the more subscribers we have prepared to complain the better chance we have of getting something back. Also I would like to lobby True to have a game noise but no Thai commentary option played on their second audio channel. That way we can get the atmosphere of the games without having to listen to Thai commentators.

Almost certainly there will be no English commentary. C'est la vie there is still a World Cup to watch and I can't wait.

disgraceful behaviour on their part that is. it's essentially theft isn't it? or at least obtaining money through false pretenses.

i suppose it's too much to expect there to be a thai tv regulator, an ofcom sort of thing, to complain to? i'm just being silly aren't i?

As I have prev suggested, withhold 2mths sub payment, in that time find another provider in time for the new footy season. (yes I know True will have English commentary for the EPL, but after this they can go swivel!) Astro, ESPN India etc.... Then dump the HD boxes on mass at the same office! 30-50 dumped boxes and dishes on their premises all on the same day should make them take note that they can't <deleted> about anymore with customers!

We can still get Dreambox, it has exactly the same UBC platinum package but 6 times cheaper. Its 'not' legal but at least the price you pay for it doesnt make you feel ripped off & they also have Dreambox HD.

Does it have all the English premiership matches :) .

As I have prev suggested, withhold 2mths sub payment, in that time find another provider in time for the new footy season. (yes I know True will have English commentary for the EPL, but after this they can go swivel!) Astro, ESPN India etc.... Then dump the HD boxes on mass at the same office! 30-50 dumped boxes and dishes on their premises all on the same day should make them take note that they can't <deleted> about anymore with customers!

I am of the thinking that the 3 year contract they had to show the EPL has now finished and they have not yet published the details of their new contract.

We can still get Dreambox, it has exactly the same UBC platinum package but 6 times cheaper. Its 'not' legal but at least the price you pay for it doesnt make you feel ripped off & they also have Dreambox HD.

Does it have all the English premiership matches :) .

Yes, its exactly the same as UBC Platinum package that connects through internet connection. Its like IPTV. (& no it does not interfere with your internet speed)

i suppose it's too much to expect there to be a thai tv regulator, an ofcom sort of thing, to complain to? i'm just being silly aren't i?

Office of the Consumer Protection Board

you can make complaints via that body. I cant say how prepared they are in dealing with complaints in English (couldnt find a button to switch the web to English version - either it doesnt exist, or I missed it)

but still worth getting in touch with them.

an easier way, though, would be to contact your cable provider, let them know you are not satisfied, and they do something, else you intend to take this matter up via the consumer protection board. if they still do nothing, then proceed with the complaint :)

ohhh, and perhaps this Consumer Protection Act might be handy? (in english - but do bear in mind it is NOT an official translation of the Act)

I asked a few days ago but got no reply - what is Astro?

Do you need an Astro satellite dish?

What does Astro cost?

Do you need an internet connection?

I'm in Korat - is it available here?

We're running out of time to prepare for kick-off - is Astro the only option for English?

I seem to remember a satellite shop trying to sell me a Sky dish/system - would Sky have the WC in English?

think a company called J-sat offer Astro, it's about 20k, search through this forum or the footy posts on CM forum as someone offered a way of getting the service recently on here. Korat isn't far from BKK as you can get the overspill of the signal from Malaysia. They broadcast via Ku Band which gives a footprint of the signal over a specific area. However up here in Chiangmai we're too far out to get the overspill.

Sure glad I read this thread as I was just about to order to HD package. I previously talked to a UBC rep who assured me the matches would have English commentary. Luckily I have access to the supersport feed from Malaysia so I will just stick to that.

I am not 100 % sure if Astro Supersport is showing the WC but Astro Supersport HD is showing it. Just check it before the WC starts.

And cook answer to your questions

Q.I asked a few days ago but got no reply - what is Astro? -A. Malaysian Cable similar to True Visions.

Do you need an Astro satellite dish? -A. Yes, you would need an astro satellite Dish and Astro subscription

What does Astro cost? -A. Astro cost around 11,000 or 13,500 if you want HD for installation & Subscription depending on package paid yearly.

Do you need an internet connection? -A. Dont think you need an internet connection.

I'm in Korat - is it available here? A. I am not too sure. Check out the website www.satthai.tv and call them up and find out. The guy can speak in English so no problems there.

We're running out of time to prepare for kick-off - is Astro the only option for English?

Atm, yes Astro is the only option or worse to worse watch the WC online which is free and has English Commentary. Connect your computer to your TV and ........

You can always hope for English commentary in the local channels here

you can make complaints via that body. I cant say how prepared they are in dealing with complaints in English (couldnt find a button to switch the web to English version - either it doesnt exist, or I missed it)

but still worth getting in touch with them.

an easier way, though, would be to contact your cable provider, let them know you are not satisfied, and they do something, else you intend to take this matter up via the consumer protection board. if they still do nothing, then proceed with the complaint :)

ohhh, and perhaps this Consumer Protection Act might be handy? (in english - but do bear in mind it is NOT an official translation of the Act)

thanks for that migsy, it's not for me but for a friend who owns a bar. i'll pass that on though.

I am not 100 % sure if Astro Supersport is showing the WC but Astro Supersport HD is showing it. Just check it before the WC starts.

And cook answer to your questions

Q.I asked a few days ago but got no reply - what is Astro? -A. Malaysian Cable similar to True Visions.

Do you need an Astro satellite dish? -A. Yes, you would need an astro satellite Dish and Astro subscription

What does Astro cost? -A. Astro cost around 11,000 or 13,500 if you want HD for installation & Subscription depending on package paid yearly.

Do you need an internet connection? -A. Dont think you need an internet connection.

I'm in Korat - is it available here? A. I am not too sure. Check out the website www.satthai.tv and call them up and find out. The guy can speak in English so no problems there.

Atm, yes Astro is the only option or worse to worse watch the WC online which is free and has English Commentary. Connect your computer to your TV and ........

You can always hope for English commentary in the local channels here

Supersport will show the wc on multiple channels, you can check out the fixtures here,

http://www.supersport.com/football/2010-world-cup/fixtures

I get this channel through my local cable TV operator. Not sure how you would get it directly but I guess Jsat http://www.jsat.tv/ can help you out.

Supersport will show the wc on multiple channels, you can check out the fixtures here,

I get this channel through my local cable TV operator. Not sure how you would get it directly but I guess Jsat http://www.jsat.tv/ can help you out.

Those channels will not be available by the time the world cup is one. Nothing your cable operator can do about it. The link you provided with the schedules is from the South African Supersport channels, they are completely different then the Malaysian supersport channels!

The Malaysian (Astro) regular Supersport channels will not have the WC on, as all the games will be on the regular Malaysian channels (in English).

They will only have it on Astro Supersport HD.

thanks bangkok blue, vicksajnani, tompa and monty.

I'm looking at a list of Astro channels I downloaded from http://www.jsat.tv/satellite-packages/the-astro-network.html.

In the Family group of channels are RTM1 and RTM2, which I read on

http://www.limsimi.com/leisure-entertainme...ia-rtm-network/ as the channels having all the games. I think these are the regular (free) Malaysian channels mentioned by monty.

I also went to a satellite shop today and yes, we get Astro footprint here in Korat, and I can buy the system for B20,000.

What I don't know is if this is a legal system or not.

More questions :

Can anyone recommend the best online internet service to watch the WC? There are quite a few advertised when you google.

Has anyone had experience watching football online? Which service?

Are there buffering or picture quality problems?

Do you need the fastest broadband connection?

When you connect to the TV (mine is a 42 inch LCD) does the picture deteriorate?

thanks again

thanks bangkok blue, vicksajnani, tompa and monty.

I'm looking at a list of Astro channels I downloaded from http://www.jsat.tv/satellite-packages/the-astro-network.html.

In the Family group of channels are RTM1 and RTM2, which I read on

http://www.limsimi.com/leisure-entertainme...ia-rtm-network/ as the channels having all the games. I think these are the regular (free) Malaysian channels mentioned by monty.

I also went to a satellite shop today and yes, we get Astro footprint here in Korat, and I can buy the system for B20,000.

What I don't know is if this is a legal system or not.

More questions :

Can anyone recommend the best online internet service to watch the WC? There are quite a few advertised when you google.

Has anyone had experience watching football online? Which service?

Are there buffering or picture quality problems?

Do you need the fastest broadband connection?

When you connect to the TV (mine is a 42 inch LCD) does the picture deteriorate?

thanks again

The Astro that you get in Thailand is pirated and the dealer is just a middleman. It will work as long as payments up the ladder are made. You have no recourse.

Edited by gotlost

you can try the-streaming-lounge.co.uk many of there streams are via veetle, which means you need the latest veetle programme to run the streams

Very clear when working, but over the last few mths the server here to there is shit and the ping needs to be 100-150m/s mine is often 300+ which causes buffering, failiure to connect or dropping out. I have 8MB, which I would say is minimum, but if the servers don't communicate properly you're uo shit creak no matter what your connection is.

The most reliable one is myp2p.eu main programme I use there is sopcast, however Thai gov have blocked it as worried about red shirts televising things.

fingers crossed it'll be unblocked in time for world cup.

you can make complaints via that body.

thanks for that migsy, it's not for me but for a friend who owns a bar. i'll pass that on though.

sure thing

and from what im reading, there are others on here who might want to make a complaint.

just threaten with the option of complaining befor actually going to that board. see if you get any response

and stevie - if your friend gets compensation, i want free drinks on the house :) (and perhaps tickets to get to wherever the 'house' is :D )

Those channels will not be available by the time the world cup is one. Nothing your cable operator can do about it. The link you provided with the schedules is from the South African Supersport channels, they are completely different then the Malaysian supersport channels!

The Malaysian (Astro) regular Supersport channels will not have the WC on, as all the games will be on the regular Malaysian channels (in English).

Sorry, I was probably not clear enough of what I meant. The supersport we get here is the South African one. The local cable TV gets it from a Malaysian feed. I think you can get the south african supersport through jsat.

Tompa,

Sorry, I was probably not clear enough of what I meant. The supersport we get here is the South African one. The local cable TV gets it from a Malaysian feed. I think you can get the south african supersport through jsat.

Tompa,

As of tomorrow the satellite that reaches Asia will be changed so no one will be able to pick up Supersport SA.