Gaysorn Plaza

TheJoker12

Been there a few times. It's full of (very) overpriced stuff. Most shoppers bypass it and go to Central World Plaza instead. Only the hi-hi-sos go shopping in Gaysorn. If you're having a boring afternoon and in the area. watch the people who do shop there and compare them to those who shop in Central World.

The only times myself & the missus entered it was to go from the BTS skywalk from Phloen Chit station and down to the 1st floor to cross the bridge to get to Central World. Even that's not neccessary now since they connected the skywalk directly to Central World a couple of years ago

It does have a food court of a sort, on the lowest floor, but I would expect you'd pay through the nose for a coffee and bun there.

Unrelated trivia, but I guess the plaza takes its name from the old Gaysorn Arcade that used to be across the road where Central World is now. The corner of that block, where Zen is, used to be Thai Daimaru, an exciting place because it had an escalator. Next to Daimaru, as you walked along the road towards the canal and Pratunam, was Gaysorn Arcade, a nice little arcade with Manich Jumsai's bookshop, the Chartered Bank (just a shopfront branch) and Whimpey's Burger Bar, the only burger bar I can remember from the late 60s to mid-70s. Can't remember what else was there.

^there was a large car park, a money changer and some shophouses, one of which housed a bar owned by a Swiss guy.

This is going back to 1987 when I first came to Bangkok.

On the present Gaysorn site or the old one? (I didn't come to Bangkok between 1976 and 1996, so am curious about the changes over that time.)

PH left years ago.

The mall in question IMO is nothing more than a talking point for puffy haired people with too much old money and nothing to do with their time - it's not about P&L, it's about bragging.

What it is good for however is an air con walk on your way over to Central World. Bathrooms aren't bad either.

Nice clean washrooms on the basement floor. A very pleasant experience when you need to do #2.

Of course it would be. You wouldn't expect hi-sos to slum it for the bathroom breaks would you?

However, the washrooms in Central World leaves a lot to be desired. last time I needed to do a #2 there a couple of years ago, there was no bog paper. In any of the stalls. Either the attendant was neglecting his/her duties or I was just plain unlucky to pick the one toilet that had just run out at the wrong time. :)

Luckily the missus gave me some tissue paper beforehand "just in case".

Nice clean washrooms on the basement floor. A very pleasant experience when you need to do #2.

Of course it would be. You wouldn't expect hi-sos to slum it for the bathroom breaks would you?

However, the washrooms in Central World leaves a lot to be desired. last time I needed to do a #2 there a couple of years ago, there was no bog paper. In any of the stalls. Either the attendant was neglecting his/her duties or I was just plain unlucky to pick the one toilet that had just run out at the wrong time. :)

Luckily the missus gave me some tissue paper beforehand "just in case".

Maybe you just chose a "lucky" cubical for #2s

• 4 weeks later...

It has had at least one or two make-overs since opening in 1992/3 with limited success, and as Hong Kong Land are a major shareholder I doubt very much there is free rent involved - in fact quite the opposite.