Westerners With Amulets

canuckamuck

"Some of them are quite valuable"

Now OP can tell you a story about this, in 2001 management and some staff from Christie's Auction set up there own Auction house called Bangkok Auction house, the copied Chirstie's but got bankrupt within 2 years.

The first year they set up a Amulet auction together with one off the biggest amelet clubs in Thailand, the Auction was held at The Jewelry Trade Center at Silom road.

The most expensive amelut whent for 40 Million Thai Baht, second 28 Million and so on.

I just want to say for many people it isn't just about luck they believe there whole live is writtin in it.

Business wise nothing can't go wrong the wright decision will be made at the right time, and the ultimate happeniss in live will be approached.

As with all trade there are investers as well this pumped up the prices between 1998 and 2002, without a detailed certificate from the official amulet club the more expensive amulets are worthless for trade.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with it at all.

If a fruit cake decides to wear a big badge saying "I'm a fruit cake" I'd say that's a good thing for those of us who like to avoid Nuts.

Reminds me of this Hank Hill quote:

"I'm all for body piercing. It lets you know who's not right just by looking at them."

If a fruit cake decides to wear a big badge saying "I'm a fruit cake" I'd say that's a good thing for those of us who like to avoid Nuts.

:)

Would you call all Thais who move to USA or UK etc, and wear a cross, fruitcakes?

Some of us adapt to our new culture - some of us don't and self-righteously attack those who do.

I don't wear one but used to wear a small one, but of Ganesh, when first living here.

Greater men than you have faith.

Actually I think I would.

I'm sure a lot of greater men than I have faith but then I'm certain many who have faith are fruit cakes.

And I'm absolutely certain great men don't need to wear badges. Nor do I accept that wearing a amulet is with any certainty a sign of adapting to Thai culture.

I'm working with a guy right now, chest full of amulets, been here 8 years and has learned just about enough of the Thai language to order a beer when he wants one.

Adapting to the culture.......!

Would you call all Thais who move to USA or UK etc, and wear a cross, fruitcakes?

Some of us adapt to our new culture - some of us don't and self-righteously attack those who do.

I don't wear one but used to wear a small one, but of Ganesh, when first living here.

Greater men than you have faith.

Actually I think I would.

I'm sure a lot of greater men than I have faith but then I'm certain many who have faith are fruit cakes.

And I'm absolutely certain great men don't need to wear badges. Nor do I accept that wearing a amulet is with any certainty a sign of adapting to Thai culture.

I'm working with a guy right now, chest full of amulets, been here 8 years and has learned just about enough of the Thai language to order a beer when he wants one.

Adapting to the culture.......!

"Heineken Crup" :D

When I see a Thai guy with a load of amulets strung all over himself - I usually think he's a fruit cake too.

Reckon any guy with any sort of jewelry is a bit suspect :) ... though I guess wedding rings are ok if you absolutely must wear one.

:) I have worn one for many years. It was also given to me by the Monk that blesed my marriage, he is very respected and is a very closr friend of mine. I have also embraced the Buddhist philosophy even before I ever dreamed of living or even coming to Thailand. I have gotten a lot of compliments from Thais and Farangs alike and it is supposed to be an ancient one. I never wore it openly displayed.

LL

Based on the very few repsonses to this thread one must conclude then that a vast majority of the esteemed TV members fall into the catagory that "Guesthouse" has so eloquently descibed.

huh?

Oh wait .. yes a lack of response MUST mean that!

Possibly...but im thinking such knobheads would have better things to do then be posting excuses on TV

More likely they are busy out playing golf with their Hi-so, ex army, ex general, ex police commander mates, comparing amulets at some 10,000 baht a day course..

toss€rs :)

I have one that a friend gave to me and I love the way it looks.

I have another that my father in law gave to me which is very rare.

I have not gone out and bought any for myself nor do I foresee myself ever doing this in the future.

Funny how many people look down on others for such a small thing. So go ahead and ignore me if you ever see me and I have one on. Because you are doing me a favor, because while I have something that visably warns you about the person I am, I have no way to tell that you are a bitter pathetic asshol_e.

:) I have worn one for many years. It was also given to me by the Monk that blesed my marriage, he is very respected and is a very closr friend of mine. I have also embraced the Buddhist philosophy even before I ever dreamed of living or even coming to Thailand. I have gotten a lot of compliments from Thais and Farangs alike and it is supposed to be an ancient one. I never wore it openly displayed.

LL

Understand that, but the falangs whearing 12 of them hanging on a chain same size as the ankers chain from the Queen Elisabeth II with there shirt open till there trousers sitting at 09:30 AM drinking leo beer at Sukhumvit and speak 2 word Thai "Boom boom Cheap cheap".

No thank you a disgrase for Thailand and for falangs in Thailand as well.

And sad enough there are a lot them walking around in LOS.

The true meaning about the amulet has nothing to do with appearance it ist a wrapping that make you Thai and /or better person.

The whole meaning isnt easy to understand for falangs but is coming from your inside, soul and mind.

Funny how many people look down on others for such a small thing. So go ahead and ignore me if you ever see me and I have one on. Because you are doing me a favor, because while I have something that visably warns you about the person I am, I have no way to tell that you are a bitter pathetic asshol_e.

Now that's funny right there.

Of course we expats living in a foreign land, really need to convince Thai people that their culture is all wrong and they should act like us, aye?

Edited by fiddlehead

I have not gone out and bought any for myself nor do I foresee myself ever doing this in the future.

I’m absolutely certain that nobody here has bought or been given a Thai amulet - One does not buy them, one borrows or rents them, amulets are not given, they are lent (The difference arises from the belief in the transience of things and people) but then a small point which I'm absolutely sure all these badge wearing oficiados of Thai culture understand.

Going through the Bamboo curtain is not an indication of understanding or being sensitive to Thai Culture

Of course we, as foreigners living in a foreign land, really need to convince Thai people that their culture is all wrong and they should act like us, aye?

I guess its far better to have a personal identity crisis and start styling yourself on the local motorcye riders.

Or as Needforspeed put it...

Understand that, but the falangs whearing 12 of them hanging on a chain same size as the ankers chain from the Queen Elisabeth II with there shirt open till there trousers sitting at 09:30 AM drinking leo beer at Sukhumvit and speak 2 word Thai "Boom boom Cheap cheap".

Respect the local culture..... !

Of course we, as foreigners living in a foreign land, really need to convince Thai people that their culture is all wrong and they should act like us, aye?

I guess its far better to have a personal identity crisis and start styling yourself on the local motorcye riders.

Or as Needforspeed put it...

Respect the local culture..... !

Correct, respect and behave yourself we are guests here.

I’m absolutely certain that nobody here has bought or been given a Thai amulet - One does not buy them, one borrows or rents them, amulets are not given, they are lent (The difference arises from the belief in the transience of things and people) but then a small point which I'm absolutely sure all these badge wearing oficiados of Thai culture understand.

Going through the Bamboo curtain is not an indication of understanding or being sensitive to Thai Culture

Well I understand that you rent them. How do you know - a closet amulet wearer perhaps?

I have 5 that I seldom wear thai friends gave them to me at different times for different reasons. I find when I do wear them where I live many thais stop and talk to me and are pleased to see me wearing them and tell me the history of them and the monk who made them etc. They are great conversation pieces with thais.

What I donot understand is why do fat sloven men wear muscle shirts and shorts or no shirts at all in public. Even in my home country that is very poor taste. To me people who cannot present themselves well in public give me a feeling they are a little unstable.

As I said I was given them, so I did not know about this. Thanks for that, learn something new everyday.

I don't wear mine much but got it as a gift from a good friend.

Do you have something against them?

I don't have anything against them. I certainly wouldn't wear one though so I am trying to see the reasoning behind it. I don't think that the argument that it is a Buddhist thing holds up, I doubt the Dali Lama has got one. It certainly is a Thai thing though

Regarding the OP - do you think they don't work for foreigners?

It's certainly NOT only a "Thai-Thing"!

The Tibetan Lamas f.E. wear little scrolls inside tiny metal/silver/gold drum like containers!

Indside the prayer wheels are "endless" scrolls with sacred/protective prayers!

I am not sure with the dalai lama, he loves old watches and clocks!

I'll ask him next time i see him, will be in Dharamsala/McLoed Ganj in April!

Edited by Samuian

Ms. Brit gave me mine - actually small because never wear anything big/clunky looking. Anyways for good luck and makes her happy that I wear it.

A few more posts like this and I could begin to like brit....Best reason ther can be.

.. it is not specifically a Buddhist thing, it is a Thai interpretation of a Buddhist thing

Many aspects of Buddhism in Thailand are a Thai interpretation of 'the orignal' Buddhism. It's one reason why I find Thai Buddhism pretty distasteful, just like some of the crazy evangelical 'Christian' sects.

But that's a discussion which is better suited for the Buddhism forum :)

Simon

Because they are kn*b heads and trying to show how "Thai" they are....LOL

Kn*b heads are prats who write stupid comments like the above. My wife is Buddhist, when we travel she likes me to wear one, and I'm happy to oblige.

Elwood

I always wanted one of these but because of my Gorilla chest, the thought of having it plucking away at me all day has kept me away from indulging.

My wife says I should just shave my chest if I want to get one, I said, while it takes a good man to grow hair on his chest, it takes a better one to wear it off...speaking of which... :)

Needless to say, I don't think I will be getting one anytime soon. :D

Because they are kn*b heads and trying to show how "Thai" they are....LOL

Kn*b heads are prats who write stupid comments like the above. My wife is Buddhist, when we travel she likes me to wear one, and I'm happy to oblige.

Elwood

And did help you, you arrived faster at your destination than airplane ever arrived before.

You don't pretent by wearing that you know the Thai culture and use it as a wrapping for the devil inside of you.

You just do it for your wife.

Doesn't offence anyone.

My wife gave me a little amulet statue that was blessed (lent it to me :) ) when we were married. She had the amulet that was bronze plated in white gold. The casing is 21 karat yellow gold, but she had this plated in white gold as well. (I am more of a silver man myself).

I like to wear a little body adornment from time to time, and although i do not wear it (amulet) all the time there are times in which I do. It is on a simple black cord . It is not gaudy and almost forgettable.

Buddhism is my wife's religion and it is also part of our son's upbringing. I don't think it has special "powers", but it is harmless all the same.

"Guesthouse" made a comment a few pages back that it is a way of identifying the "fruitcakes". I had to laugh. I have been living in Thailand long enough to spot an absolute falang nutter, and have never personally seen one wearing an amulet. They are usually poorly dressed, (having no concept of matching or coordination) pretentious, and obnoxious. These "fruitcakes" get off on giving their half arsed ad homonyms and probably collect a pension from their home country for having a skin and alcohol problem.

TV is another good place to find plenty of "fruits". :D

Edited by mizzi39

quote:

And while we are here, just think about the coloured folks and certain white folks who like to wear huge crucifixes usually embedded with fake diamonds. Zombies would starve amongst them.

Thinking about those "coloured folkes" 555! Man are you white trash or what???