Are Thai Beds Too Hard! :-(

chicowoodduck

Is it just my old bones talking, or are Thai beds way too hard?

I'm wondering if anyone knows the location of a place that sells foam rubber mattress covers or inserts in Pattaya? I seem to recall a place located on the Sukhumvit Road, but can't for the life of my old bones seem to be able to track down the location. :)

In the meantime, I'm making do with some folded blankets under my mattress cover

Edited by sbk
font and color removed--please follow forum netiquette and keep it standard thanks--sbk

Why dont you just buy a decent bed then ?? they are availible .... :)

Offtopic!

Yes, the one in this hotel is like sleeping on concrete. It will do us good in the long run, with the daytime agility, but it takes a monthto get used to it.

No pain, no gain.

<ed: sometimes this software adds an unintended clipboard on Send. Nothing's perfect in this world...>

Edited by SeanMoran

Many places where you can buy a good mattress also there was a post a few months ago about finding a rubber mattress in Pataya.

Just buy a good one, isn't so difficult.

Would you like the address of my hotel so you can send me one, then?

---o0o---

I'm hungry. brb 1 hour or so...

Edited by SeanMoran

Many places where you can buy a good mattress also there was a post a few months ago about finding a rubber mattress in Pataya.

Sure mate, when i am back let you know the price incl transport, you deposite the amount into my bankaccount and i send you the mattress.

And i don't charge any handlings fee.

If buy more than 10 i give you a discount as well and 2 free bedsheets :)

Why dont you just buy a decent bed then ?? they are availible .... :)

Would love to buy a good bed, but I'm renting at the moment! :D

Same same, buy one and give the concrete one back to the landlord

Or better yet, sell it to the guys working on the new apartment complex next door and they can use it for the retaining wall! :D

I bought my wifes mother a new mattress, the type that you put on the floor, they are thin. Thais use them a lot, Cost about 8oobaht for a good one, Believe it or not i use it more than her, i pinch it to sleep on,it has cured My sciatica immensely and i sleep well. Try it, it may just cure you of creaky bones, some times soft mattresses are worse for your sleep posture, causing more dis comfort when you are awake,

Sure mate, when i am back let you know the price incl transport, you deposite the amount into my bankaccount and i send you the mattress.

And i don't charge any handlings fee.

If buy more than 10 i give you a discount as well and 2 free bedsheets :)

That sounds difficult.

I bought my wifes mother a new mattress, the type that you put on the floor, they are thin. Thais use them a lot, Cost about 8oobaht for a good one, Believe it or not i use it more than her, i pinch it to sleep on,it has cured My sciatica immensely and i sleep well. Try it, it may just cure you of creaky bones, some times soft mattresses are worse for your sleep posture, causing more dis comfort when you are awake,

Would be nice in queen size or larger, I have LARGE old creaky bones! :)

I've had a hard mattress for many years, after a back injury. On a night out, a mate of mine, who'd hurt his back, asked me where he could get a paedophile mattress, like mine, (he meant orthopaedic). The rest of us tried not to fall about laughing, and needless to say we didn't correct him. Often wonder what happened when he went to the shop! :D

Careful what you ask for. :) Good luck in your search.

If you really want mattress envy visit the Sealy Mattress worldwide website.

Sealy is represented by Jaspal and Sons Ltd. in Thailand. Although the bulk of sales are to the hospitality industry they do have the ability to make their product available to those that need a decent mattress.

I consider the Sealy mattress to be one of the best quality, best value products out there. Affordable, durable and comfortable.

If you really want mattress envy visit the Sealy Mattress worldwide website.

Sealy is represented by Jaspal and Sons Ltd. in Thailand. Although the bulk of sales are to the hospitality industry they do have the ability to make their product available to those that need a decent mattress.

I consider the Sealy mattress to be one of the best quality, best value products out there. Affordable, durable and comfortable.

I'll let my landlord know of the website, I'm sure he will check it out when he get bored. I'll check it out as soon as "da old bones" crawl off the thing called a bed! :-(

Oh do I ever agree with the OP!!!!!!

Thai mattresses are so hard that IMO they are an utter waste of money since the same effect could be gotten by just sleeping on the floor. Particularly can't understand shelling out a small fortune for spring mattresses that are as hard as the floor.

Like OP, I absolutely cannot sleep on hard beds, I'm awake all night in pain. May have something to do with the fact that I am a side-sleeper. Lying on your side on a hard surface it is impossible to have the small of your back supported, and the hip and shoulder bones areas get painfully sore within 15 minutes.

As for the mattress covers or for that matter even the fold-up foam mattress things, insufficient.

Not to sound like the Princess and the Pea, byut I've tried piling as many as 3 together atop a Thai spring mattress to no avail.

At home I have a thick foam mattress I bought many years ago but they no longer seem to be available in shops. You could try latexinnovations as suggested by prior poster.

This is the reason why I prefer 5 hours of driving to spending the night in a hotel in Bangkok when I need to go into town. It would be a sleepless night.

And also why I have come to dread staying in a hotel anywhere in Thailand as almost all of them likewise have these torture devices for beds.

Luckily in Cambodia, where I have to stay in hotels often, the opposite is true . Foam mattresses are produced locally and are what one usually finds and unless very old (in which case they may sag a bit) they are marvelous -- they give way where they need to accomodate a shoulder or hip while still giving good support to the back. In the 5 star places one may encounter spring mattresses but the management can always come up with a foam one on request and pretty much everything below 5 stars has Cambodian made foam.

So if all else fails, OP, a trip to Cambodia may be your answer.

Thai mattresses are so hard that IMO they are an utter waste of money since the same effect could be gotten by just sleeping on the floor. Particularly can't understand shelling out a small fortune for spring mattresses that are as hard as the floor.

Like OP, I absolutely cannot sleep on hard beds, I'm awake all night in pain. May have something to do with the fact that I am a side-sleeper. Lying on your side on a hard surface it is impossible to have the small of your back supported, and the hip and shoulder bones areas get painfully sore within 15 minutes.

As for the mattress covers or for that matter even the fold-up foam mattress things, insufficient.

Not to sound like the Princess and the Pea, byut I've tried piling as many as 3 together atop a Thai spring mattress to no avail.

At home I have a thick foam mattress I bought many years ago but they no longer seem to be available in shops. You could try latexinnovations as suggested by prior poster.

This is the reason why I prefer 5 hours of driving to spending the night in a hotel in Bangkok when I need to go into town. It would be a sleepless night.

And also why I have come to dread staying in a hotel anywhere in Thailand as almost all of them likewise have these torture devices for beds.

Luckily in Cambodia, where I have to stay in hotels often, the opposite is true . Foam mattresses are produced locally and are what one usually finds and unless very old (in which case they may sag a bit) they are marvelous -- they give way where they need to accomodate a shoulder or hip while still giving good support to the back. In the 5 star places one may encounter spring mattresses but the management can always come up with a foam one on request and pretty much everything below 5 stars has Cambodian made foam.

Marriott/Sheraton/Westin/Fraser etc etc...all have nice mattresses, not too hard. I am not sure where you stay when you come to bkk??

Have you tried Tempur or similar memory foam mattresses? They really are great.

I totally agree with OP,I got spoiled when I bought a Memory Foam Matress and Pillow for my crappy bed in my rented apt at home(they are about the same thickness as the carrefour ones mentioned earlier,but are unbelievably good at adopting to your posture,

so when I visited my GF in LOS at her new apartment recently the bed felt EXACTLY like a concrete floor...solution,next time I come over I'm buying a memory foam mattress for Thailand(I couldnt find them in BKK on my last visit.

We bought a hideous bed on promotion at Home Pro We had them remove the rock from our house & talked them into repurchasing an ultra cushy Seally Posterpedic .We had bought a king size memory foam topper(before & added it to the mattress & bought a a bed frame for the setup . No bottom mattress needed. Now the bed is nice & comfy. The other brand was like sleeping on a ply board sheet . We had to use without the box support to get it minorly comfortable. It was well worth the 17,000 baht for the mattress not to wake up stiff in all the wrong places in the morning!

Edited by Beardog

I'm a side sleeper as well, and because of the hardness of my so called mattress, the pressure points on my shoulders, hips, knees and ankles gives way to a tossing and turning night to relieve the aching. If I do sleep on my back, my snoring keeps half the Soi up! :) Just have to find a decent foam rubber pad in Pattaya. FYI - When living in the US, I was fortunate enough to have a "Sleep Number Bed." Now THAT was like a little wedge of heaven! OP

All you need to do is go to Carrefoure or Tesco and buy "mattress covers". If you have a double or queen sized bed you need to buy 2, they are cheap and soft, about an inch thick and make hard mattresses much softer.

Quite true but for about 150,000 to 200,000 baht you can buy a good western style mattress.