Rural Thailand Simmers With Anti-gov't Rage

churchill

Most of the folks where I live, seem to just want a government that works for all of the people, not just the "elite".

But I guess that's the view of most people, in most countries.

It is the problem in a Democratic system that a minority is always disappointed .

Not a problem here, the Thai/Chinese minority always end up on top.

chuan, thaksin, surayud, samak,somchai, abhisit.....yes

What I see in my company.....mostly the thai chinese are the better educated harder working.

luckily there is no racism against them.

Even the most uneducated of Tkaksin's backwoods rural rabble are seeing the light and turning their backs on him and his red shirt thugs. He's in for a slow fade into nothingness.

Thaksin's popularity is as strong as ever - the last few bye-elections in the NE have demonstrated that a candidate needs the endorsement of Thaksin to be elected, no matter how strong a candidates.

• 2 weeks later...

If there was any truth in all these stories of gullible poor people wanting to vote for Thaksin and gathering in their thousands at rallies in towns well away from Bangkok I'm sure The Nation would cover the stories - just as any unbiased news source would :)

There again 'What happens in Nakhon Nowhere, stays in Nakhon Nowhere'

Even the most uneducated of Tkaksin's backwoods rural rabble are seeing the light and turning their backs on him and his red shirt thugs. He's in for a slow fade into nothingness.

Thaksin's popularity is as strong as ever - the last few bye-elections in the NE have demonstrated that a candidate needs the endorsement of Thaksin to be elected, no matter how strong a candidates.

Huh? Want to share those numbers and when those 'bye-elections' took place?

I am sure there are SOME areas of isaan where if you do not have the backing of the local political machine that not only can you not get elected, you can't even be a candidate. That doesn't make a case for popularity though :)

Most of the folks where I live, seem to just want a government that works for all of the people, not just the "elite".

But I guess that's the view of most people, in most countries.

It is the problem in a Democratic system that a minority is always disappointed .

Not a problem here, the Thai/Chinese minority always end up on top.

Thaksin is Thai Chinese ... and he sure aint ending up on top these days!

Most of us just have to go on our direct experience and what we can see and hear. No doubt our impressions are highly partial and vary from place to place, but if you live in Isaan it is hard to relate to the accounts coming from the many Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Phuket based-posters (who doubtlessly make their first hand observations too). Where I stay, pro-Thaksin sentiment is still surprisingly resilient. I'd say the picture in central Isaan is similar to that reported by GaryA to the west. Interestingly my wife, like his, was anti-Thaksin for years but has now swung inline with the majority, mainly I think because she sees the present Government/regime as the greater evil. I also think that some of the speeches at PAD rallies had a radicalising effect on Isaan people who heard that they didn't deserve a vote. Are the old provincial strong men still calling all the shots? Is it all money politics rather than calculations of political interest? I dont think so, but we'll see in due course.

Edited by citizen33

We hear so much from some posters that Thaksin's red shirts are losing so much ground and that his base is falling away from under him, yet I have to agree with Citizen 33 above ^^ that this does not seem to be the case in many areas.

Maybe it is more hope than reality for some pro yellows. Get out into Nakhon wherever and you will see Mr. T is as popular as ever.

Call a proper election and see what colour shirt is elected, then we will know for sure, or are the yellow bellies still too scared to do that? :)

They came on the back of more impressive red-shirt support that the UDD

is trumpeting. A rally on Jan. 31 in the north-eastern province of Khon Kaen

drew an estimated 100,000 people, according to sources close to military

intelligence operatives. The UDD, though, boasts that the crowds were twice

that number.

In the province of Ubon Ratchathani, the next day, a reported 50,000 red-

shirted protesters assembled at a UDD rally.

10 days, and still no pictures. This gonzo reporting is sounding increasingly groundless....

Gonzo reporting! <deleted>? The Thai media reports EXACTLY what happens in the provinces!

Just because there's been no red shirt dinners in... Jarg City....?

We hear so much from some posters that Thaksin's red shirts are losing so much ground and that his base is falling away from under him, yet I have to agree with Citizen 33 above ^^ that this does not seem to be the case in many areas.

Maybe it is more hope than reality for some pro yellows. Get out into Nakhon wherever and you will see Mr. T is as popular as ever.

Call a proper election and see what colour shirt is elected, then we will know for sure, or are the yellow bellies still too scared to do that? :)

How should the yellows be too scared? As you may know or don't know the yellow "New Politic Party" is not even in the parliament.

The Democrats are not the yellows.