New Tuk Tuk Rates Proposed

fiddlehead

Here is what is being reported after a meeting with the governor and representatives from 16 other countries:

The suggested rates: 80 baht flagfall for Phuket's taxis, with three baht for every kilometer after that, and for tuk-tuks, a 20 baht flagfall, with 20 baht for the first kilometre and 1.5 baht for each kilometre after that.

I believe this would solve a lot of problems on the island.

But, will it happen?

30 baht from Karon to Patong in a tuk tuk???????
My calculation gives 20 Baht (Flagfall) + 20 Baht (first km) + 6*1.5 Baht (addtl. 6 kms) = 49 Baht, which might be rounded up by a generous tip of 1 Baht :)

Either way, that amount sounds really low to me, especially relative to what they gouge charge now for that run.

We all know that tuk-tuks are the far and away the biggest source of complaints by tourists to Phuket. This proposal would be great if it was accepted, but I think it will have as much chance as a snowball out in the Phuket sun. Everybody but the tuktuk mafia would love it, but those thugs have enormous influence with the local government.

A good new article on the 'local news source' with the tuktuk bosses giving multiple shoddy excuses why meters couldnt be used and threatening 'protests'..

I say let em protest.. Then anyone breaking the law in any way to be punished to the full extent of the law.. If they blockade the roads, use a JCB to clear it.. Let them know their power has been broken and alternatives will be started. Enough is enough..

The suggested rates: 80 baht flagfall for Phuket's taxis, with three baht for every kilometer after that, and for tuk-tuks, a 20 baht flagfall, with 20 baht "for the first kilometre and 1.5 baht for each kilometre after that."

Although this was copied direct from the news source, I do really think that it is a misprint and they meant "15 baht for each kilometer after that" instead of 1.5.

It would make much more sense and a decent, fair price for all (except the mafia of course)

I agree it is highly unlikely we will ever see it happen though.

Even double those rates would probably be acceptable.

The suggested rates: 80 baht flagfall for Phuket's taxis, with three baht for every kilometer after that, and for tuk-tuks, a 20 baht flagfall, with 20 baht "for the first kilometre and 1.5 baht for each kilometre after that."

Although this was copied direct from the news source, I do really think that it is a misprint and they meant "15 baht for each kilometer after that" instead of 1.5.

It would make much more sense and a decent, fair price for all (except the mafia of course)

I agree it is highly unlikely we will ever see it happen though.

Even double those rates would probably be acceptable.

That makes no sense when you read it in its entirety..

'Taxis are all right. They need meters and we appreciate your comment to propose 80 baht for the first flagfall then three baht for every kilometre.

''They are air-conditioned, they are comfortable, and they are nice.''

Those are the prices for 'nice' AC taxis..

And he then goes on to criticise them in multiple ways and finish that with

I believe that the tuk-tuks, which are very uncomfortable, very expensive, and I would add very cheap to run, they should not charge 80 baht for initial fee.

''They may start with 20 baht and maybe 20 for the first kilometre and 1.5 baht for each additional kilometre.

why would he praise one at say 3 baht is fair, then criticise another and say 15 baht is fair ??

Never happen ... :)

Never say never,... but in this case it will be most likely never.

Also agree the 1.5 is a misprint and should be 15. Don't get me dreaming; Patong-Karon: 130-150,

staying in Patong: 40-70, Patong-Phuket: 220-250, Kata-Karon: 80-100

Just about right, not too high, not too low.

Nah, don't think so.

"They" will never give in and the local police will never use violence against them nor just arrest them.

A job for the army.

I agree that it's unlikely to happen as things stand now.

A major problem is that the current number of tuk-tuks and taxi's are unsustainable.

I've seen quotes alluding to the legal tuk-tuks apparently accepting the illegals and working harmoniously at the moment because there is enough money to go round - due to the current rip off prices.

We need to get rid of the illegals first. Cut the number of tuks and taxis right down to a sustainable level. Then we can drop the prices for the remaining vehicles. Lower prices = more people using them. More people using the fewer vehicles = MORe money in the drivers' pockets. It also equals less drink drivers on the roads and less vehicles on the roads all round.

I am quite shocked that the legal tuk-tuks even accept the illegals. In most countries, the illegals would NOT be accepted. In the UK they would get their cars smashed in for sure.

I was quite shocked just yesterday to observe at Central Fesival, the official taxi desk, where the drivers are in uniform, uses white plated saloon cars. These are illegal. That's right. The officially franchised taxi desk at Central is using illegal and possibly uninsured vehicles. This needs looking into and stopping.

If we can cut down the number of illegals, we have more chance of managing the legals, and then dropping their prices.

IF the Governor manages to do any of this before he retires, i will join the long line of people who will kiss his feet.

I agree that it's unlikely to happen as things stand now.

A major problem is that the current number of tuk-tuks and taxi's are unsustainable.

I've seen quotes alluding to the legal tuk-tuks apparently accepting the illegals and working harmoniously at the moment because there is enough money to go round - due to the current rip off prices.

We need to get rid of the illegals first. Cut the number of tuks and taxis right down to a sustainable level. Then we can drop the prices for the remaining vehicles. Lower prices = more people using them. More people using the fewer vehicles = MORe money in the drivers' pockets. It also equals less drink drivers on the roads and less vehicles on the roads all round.

I am quite shocked that the legal tuk-tuks even accept the illegals. In most countries, the illegals would NOT be accepted. In the UK they would get their cars smashed in for sure.

I was quite shocked just yesterday to observe at Central Fesival, the official taxi desk, where the drivers are in uniform, uses white plated saloon cars. These are illegal. That's right. The officially franchised taxi desk at Central is using illegal and possibly uninsured vehicles. This needs looking into and stopping.

If we can cut down the number of illegals, we have more chance of managing the legals, and then dropping their prices.

IF the Governor manages to do any of this before he retires, i will join the long line of people who will kiss his feet.

Many illegal taxi drivers are part of the mafia, they just drive a different vehicle. I've often been taken to an aircon taxi sitting in the tuktuk ranks. Some of these cars are more dangerous than the tuktuks!

As for the comments about the UK, there are hundreds of illegal cab drivers touting for business at night in London; the city and the West End are their main areas. They don't get their cars smashed in. I like using them as much as I lke using tuktuks but, like the tuktuks, sometimes they are the only option.