Marraige Visa Problems

After 3 yrs of relatively hassle free renewals at jomtein i had to change my immagration office as i lived in samutprakan. Last year and this year i have had to renew at samutprakan office which has given me untold problems. This year i made an error and transfered my money late and therefore it was only in my account 6wks prior to visa expiry, they refused to renew and did not offer the 60 day extension and were very unhelpful in their options. As my visa expired the next day i was unsure what to do so to avoid daily overstay charges i did a border run to get an additional 15 days to cover the seasoning of my money, however i think i may have 'shot myself in the foot' with this action and necessated restarting the process with another non imm o visa before getting another 1 yr married. If this is the case where is the nearest, cheapest and most hassel free place to go and obtain this non imm, i'm from UK and don't really want to fly back there. I will visit the samutprakan office again soon to see what they suggest??? but do not hold out to many hopes for friendly and efficient advice.!!

Edited by gunnerterry

The 15 day entry can not be converted into a non immigrant visa inside Thailand as less than 21 days. So you need a non immigrant or 30 day visa exempt or tourist visa. As said with marriage certificate/copy of wife ID card you should be able to obtain single entry (which is all you need) at any Consulate. But be aware they will likely not allow the extension until you have been in Thailand 60 days so your money is going to be tied up for an extra period.

Out of curiosity.......

Para 2.24, which allows 60 day extensions for spouses and fathers of Thai nationals, says nothing about needing a Non Imm visa to do this (as do the paragraphs on retirement, ed, work, etc extensions). And, the immediate paragraph above 2.24, whereby Thai nationals can get one-year extensions, also says nothing about Non Imm visas. And, since I know for a fact that, yes, it is easy for a Thai national (my wife) to get a one year extension -- off a 30-day visa exempt stamp -- my question is:

Can't someone with a Thai wife, but here on a 15 or 30 day visa exempt stamp, get a 60 day extension from Immigration? I would think so, per the above. And it sure would open up options, to include folks married to Thais who just want to come here for 3 months or less -- but don't want to hassle getting a visa ahead of time (if, of course, they don't mind the return airline ticket question, or running into a maverick Immigration officer when they go for their 60 day extension -- both of which make this route questionable).

and did not offer the 60 day extension

Maybe this is peculiar to this Immigration office. Or OP maybe could try again, depending on any positive answers to my above query. A different officer, or a better explanation/understanding of para 2.24, might save a journey outside the country.

The 60 day extension can be given on any kind of entry, including a visa exempt entry.

However, converting costs extra money (2000 baht) and takes more time. Normally you have to return after 1 week to get the conversion approved. In addition, currently many immigration offices are unwilling to convert and will send you to Bangkok to do that.

In all it is often better to just apply for a non-O abroad.

The 15 day entry can not be converted into a non immigrant visa inside Thailand as less than 21 days. So you need a non immigrant or 30 day visa exempt or tourist visa. As said with marriage certificate/copy of wife ID card you should be able to obtain single entry (which is all you need) at any Consulate. But be aware they will likely not allow the extension until you have been in Thailand 60 days so your money is going to be tied up for an extra period.

I was originally on a retirement visa and now on a retirement extension of stay, but just out of curiosity and having a plan in place if I was ever unable to renew my retirement extension of stay "because I had to quickly return to my home country during the renewal window," what would be the basic steps (to include timing) in getting back to a retirement extension of stay by first starting with a 30 day visa exempt (i.e., flying back into country). Is it something like below?

1. Fly back into country and get the 30 visa exempt

2. After 21 days (during the last 7 days of the 30 day visa exempt) apply for a 60 day extension "or" a Non-O?

3. During the last 30 days of the 60 day extension or Non-O, apply for a Retirement Extension of Stay, Marriage Extension of Stay, etc?

Note: I realize income requirement would need to be in-place.

Kinda want to get this straight in my mind if I ever need to start over on the retirement extension of stay (like the OP) but want to get the basic visa requirements accomplished "in Thailand" vs my home country. I've seen various posts on this but most of them still confuse me or seem to missing some key info. Thanks.

Edited by Pib

1. Yes the poster can make a new attempt for a 60 day extension of stay from the current 15 day entry as it does not have to be a visa conversion. But they have lost there non immigrant visa status so would not be allowed to extend there stay for the normal one year they desire - so it would be self defeating to do so at this point.

2. If you wish a visa conversion to non immigrant for retirement you have to apply with 21 days or more remaining on your permitted to stay (not after being here 231 days).

But I thought from your above post you "could" convert/get a non-0 visa "within Thailand" as long as you have a stay within country of at least 21-30 days (ie., the last 7 days of a 30 day visa exempt)? I'm confused. Thanks.

You can convert if you have 21 days remaining on a permitted to stay - that can not happen with a 15 day entry stamp so it not applicable to such an entry.

You must make the application with 21 days or more remaining - not after being here 21 days.

PIP: "I was originally on a retirement visa and now on a retirement extension of stay, but just out of curiosity and having a plan in place if I was ever unable to renew my retirement extension of stay "because I had to quickly return to my home country ...."

If you make your exension of stay, make a reentry visa to. Then you you can left the country and come back at any time.

PIP: "I was originally on a retirement visa and now on a retirement extension of stay, but just out of curiosity and having a plan in place if I was ever unable to renew my retirement extension of stay "because I had to quickly return to my home country ...."

If you make your exension of stay, make a reentry visa to. Then you you can left the country and come back at any time.

You mean come back at any time "before your currrent extension of stay expires." Say I leave two months before my current extension of stay ends and come back 3 months later. That's a month after my extension of stay expired and I would need to start the process over again even having a reentry permit.

You can convert if you have 21 days remaining on a permitted to stay - that can not happen with a 15 day entry stamp so it not applicable to such an entry.

You must make the application with 21 days or more remaining - not after being here 21 days.

OK, so let's say I came back after my retirement extension of stay expired and come back in via air and get a 30 day visa exempt.

Am I understanding it right that within the first 7 days of being in country I could apply to convert the Visa Exempt to a Non-O visa and do this "within Thailand"...wouldn't have to go to another country like most people seem to do. And then doing the last 30 days of the Non-O, then apply for the retirement/marriage extension of stay good for a year. Is this correct? Thanks.

OK, so let's say I came back after my retirement extension of stay expired and come back in via air and get a 30 day visa exempt.

Am I understanding it right that within the first 7 days of being in country I could apply to convert the Visa Exempt to a Non-O visa and do this "within Thailand"...wouldn't have to go to another country like most people seem to do. And then doing the last 30 days of the Non-O, then apply for the retirement/marriage extension of stay good for a year. Is this correct? Thanks.

As long as you have at least 21 days remaining on your permission to stay you could go through the conversion process from visa exempt entry to Non-O visa and then to extension of stay. There is a 2,000 fee for the conversion process, but many immigration offices will not do and direct people to Bangkok (that may not affect you). It is often easier to obtain single entry Non-O visa from consulate in country where you are (which also avoids potential problems of denied airline boarding with no ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival) and within last 30 days of the 90 day permission of stay received on entry go straight to extension of stay. The cost of a single entry Non-O visa is roughly the same as the conversion fee and is simpler process.

A re-entry permit only preserves your current permission to stay. As you say Pib, if you are not back in the country to renew your extension of stay before expiry you will have to start the whole process again on return.

Thanks for all the advice guys i really appreciate it. I'm going back to the samutprakan consulate next week for another go and to try to get some help and explanation as to why the 60 day extension can't be put in place!!? . If i continue to 'hit my head against a brick wall' then i will get a train to Laos and get a non imm o and start again i'm aware my money will be tied up longer but cant really be helped. All said and done i should of had the money in the acc for 8wks prior to renewal and not 6wks and not left the renewal until the last minute! Just a shame a little more leancy could not be shown to foreigners who have a thai spouse and children in Thailand!!

As long as you have at least 21 days remaining on your permission to stay you could go through the conversion process from visa exempt entry to Non-O visa and then to extension of stay. There is a 2,000 fee for the conversion process, but many immigration offices will not do and direct people to Bangkok (that may not affect you). It is often easier to obtain single entry Non-O visa from consulate in country where you are (which also avoids potential problems of denied airline boarding with no ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival) and within last 30 days of the 90 day permission of stay received on entry go straight to extension of stay. The cost of a single entry Non-O visa is roughly the same as the conversion fee and is simpler process.

Thanks to lopburi3 and thaiphoon for clarifying/confirming above info. As I mentioned earlier, I really just needed this clarification in case some event (like a having to go back to my home country triple ASAP) prevents me from renewing my extension of stay because I got pulled out of Thailand unexpectedly and at a bad time.

Personally, I would prefer to just fly back into Thailand and go through the process of converting from a 30 Visa Exempt, to a Non-O, and then to the Retirement Extension of Stay "while not having to leave Bangkok"; versus getting the Non-O in my home country or another country close to Thailand. Getting the Non-O in your home country/country close to Thailand can easily result in a lot of travel costs, delays, other pains, etc.

Thanks again for the info....for the rest of the night, I'm going to concentrate on drinking my Archa beer since Lotus was out of Chang. :)

But they have lost there non immigrant visa status so would not be allowed to extend there stay for the normal one year they desire - so it would be self defeating to do so at this point.

But once he is able to get a 60 day extension of stay, he can -- in theory -- go the TM87 route to obtain a new Non Imm O visa, as he now has the requisite 21 days remaining on his [new] permission to stay in which to apply.

As pointed out, tho', some of these hick Immigration offices get befuddled when they see a TM86 or TM87 conversion form. To add a 60 day extension twist to the process would probably blow their minds.

Nevertheless, worth a try, I would think, before hitting the road to Laos, or wherever.

Lemme see: 1900 for 60 day extension; 2000 for conversion; 1900 for one-year extension; and 3800 for multiple re-entry stamp. Still, the extra 3900 baht for the first two steps might be worth the cost and bother of an unwanted journey.

Just came back from applying for extension of my temporary stay based upon marriage (Non-immigrant 'O') at the immigration office in Chiang Mai. Of course I was told to come back in approximately one month to finalize everything since they have to send the paperwork to Bangkok. The reason for this post is something that occurred that warrants mention.

I noticed that when I went last month to report my staying longer than 90 days (TM47), they only extended my notification requirement approximately 30 days (to the date that my extension of stay for my non-immigrant 'O' visa was to expire). At immigration today, while applying for the visa extension, I had a TM47 included in my paperwork. The immigration officer pulled it out and handed it back to me indicating that it was not required. Following her reorganizing all of my paperwork, she sent my wife and me into an office and about 10 minutes later my passport was returned to me and I was told that we could leave and that I was to report back in approximately 30 days. I checked my passport and the stamp had a date in March, but the 90 day notification date was not changed. It showed the same date (approximately 2 days from today). So I went back to immigration and discovered that even though we were told not to come back until March, the report of my staying longer than 90 days still had to be completed. So I secured a new cue number and had the 90 day notification extended - this time to May.

So be forewarned, if your 90 day notification is to expire prior to the 30 day extension granted for you to return for the application for extension of temporary stay, make certain that you complete a TM47 prior to its expiration and have the new date entered into your passport.

Thought i would update you guys on my visit to samut prakan immigration yesterday!

After waiting for a long time the guy who served me before obviously did not want to see me again as he disappeared around the back knowing full well i wanted to see him. I therefore went to another officer who let me see the supervisor. This guy was very helpful and friendly, he informed me i could come with my wife next week and convert the 15 day tourist stamp to a 60 day marraige extension visa, i could then go to bangkok and obtain a non imm 0 visa which could then be converted to a 1 yr marraige visa in due course. (I was armed with the police rule 2.24 kindly supplied by thaipoon as backup). So it would appear i do not need to go out the country. He did not want to comment on the service the previous guy had given me.... i did not push it!

My question to you guys is this: The Supervisor informed me i would need at least 15 days left on my visa in order to convert to a non imm O can you confirm this is correct or would it be better ( if possible) to go to bangkok and convert the 60 day visa to a non imm 0 almost as soon as i get it?

For example

Next week i get a 60 day stamp ( hopefully)

week after i go to bangkok and change to non - imm o

and then is it possible the following week to change the non imm o to a 1 yr marraige visa?

Thoughts and advice would be appreciated!

Edited by gunnerterry

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Further to my ongoing marraige visa ext i am now at the stage where i have obtained a new non O (3m) which i can now convert to a 1 yr non o (marraige), they tell me i have to do this within the last 30 days which seems to tie in with light beers advice. I thought everything was now ok however i may have now hit another snag! My 'darling' wife has now informed me she changed her name and ID card to a new christian name with her maiden name! ( to do with a change of luck/buddism etc T.I.T) , her id card is something i need for the extension!

1. Will the thai visa authorities be ok with this as her maiden name is on the marraige documents?

2. Her Thai passport is still in her married name will they accept a copy of this?

After all the hassles this year i can't believe she has done this, but Thais do change their names quite often so i hope the visa consulate can understand!

Advice and guidance please. Has anybody come across this scenario before.

I would expect some serious questions on your relationship with your wife as believe the basis of the extension of stay is very much dependent on that in the minds of Immigration - not just being married. So proving your are indeed living together as man and wife may take a higher priority.