Dual Pricing Policy

Jai Dee

I have read a lot of discussion on the forum about dual pricing... from buying CD's off the street to admission to Thailand's national parks, but this one really stinks!

On Saturday afternoon I decided to drop into Pattaya Bangkok Hospital to get my eyes checked. I had been experiencing slightly blurred vision in my left eye for just over a month, and decided to check it out.

Well, as expected, I was told that I'm getting old(er) and the lenses harden with age, resulting in difficulties in reading or focusing up close.

Solutions: 1) either wear glasses, or 2) undergo corrective ultrasonic surgery.

Upon inquiring about the costs of the surgery, I was informed that it would be 135,000 THB. (for both eyes in a 20 minute procedure).

I said I'd check the details of my insurance policy before making a decision about the surgery, but in the interim I'd take a prescription for the glasses.

After leaving the examination room, I collected my partner who was chatting with another Thai girl in the waiting room, and left the hospital. In the car on the way home, I told her what the doctor said, and she told me that the girl she had been chatting with had been diagnosed with the same problem, and had been recommended to undergo the same procedure, but the price was 50,000 THB.

I was astounded!

Now I am a genuine worker here, with a valid work permit, appropriate and up-to-date visa, paying Thai tax and social security... do you think it's fair that I should be paying over twice the price as a Thai national pays for the same medical procedure?

I wouldn't trust a doctor with those ethics near my corneas. :o

I'll take bets now as to how long 'till a famous thaivisa double pricing flamewar breaks out. :D

(my bet is 10 min)

cv

I wouldn't trust a doctor with those ethics near my corneas.Β  :o

I'll take bets now as to how long 'till a famous thaivisa double pricing flamewar breaks out.Β  :D

(my bet is 10 min)

cv

less than that! :D

maybe not the Doctor concerned, but Hospital policy?

I wouldn't trust a doctor with those ethics near my corneas.Β  :D

I'll take bets now as to how long 'till a famous thaivisa double pricing flamewar breaks out.Β  :D

(my bet is 10 min)

cv

That is the biggest load of ##### I've heard in years you sheep #####, addidas wearing, L&P drinking kiwi #####!

(Sorry mate, but the 10min was up and I had to win the bet. No hard feelings. :o )

cv

(my bet is 10 min)

cv

That is the biggest load of ##### I've heard in years you sheep #####, addidas wearing, L&P drinking kiwi #####!

(Sorry mate, but the 10min was up and I had to win the bet. No hard feelings. :o )

cv

I'm on kiwi time... :D

Interesting point to note, that a well known LASIK eye surgery in Auckland will charge you approx THB137000 and give you a three year payment plan :D

I know where I would rather have my eyes done.

Now I am a genuine worker here, with a valid work permit, appropriate and up-to-date visa, paying Thai tax and social security... do you think it's fair that I should be paying over twice the price as a Thai national pays for the same medical procedure?

I think it is totally fair. If you are not happy then go to your own country where you would pay a lot more for private healthcare.

I hope your eyes are better now.

Edited by Neeranam

Bangkok Pattaya hospital has a three tier pricing. Thai , resident, and tourist, with the tourist being the highest, and of course Thai being the lowest. The vice govenor of Chonburi said if you work in Thailand, and pay taxes bring your tax reciept to the facility and they will give you the Thai price, and if they don't write him a letter and he will take care of it. He is in charge of taking care of all the forignors that live in Chonburi.

**formatting tags removed to make readable**

Edited by cdnvic

Why not ask and verify before jumping so high?Β  :D

Good advice Ajarn... and I've been informed that the hospital in question actually has a 3 tiered pricing system... one for thais, residents, and tourists. I'll check it out further to see what category they slotted me into... :o

Whoops... just previewed my post and noted that Barry has also found the same info. :D

Edited by Jai Dee

Why not ask and verify before jumping so high?Β  :D

Good advice Ajarn... and I've been informed that the hospital in question actually has a 3 tiered pricing system... one for thais, residents, and tourists. I'll check it out further to see what category they slotted me into... :o

I wonder if there would be a corresponding decrease in quality? :D

(I'm not asking about "a corresponding increase in quality" because, well, it sounds too ridiculous to consider! :D )

The Vice Governor of Chonburi's (My, what specialization nowadays in Chonburi!) words, if true, sounds like a copout. This isn't a tax-supported hospital outside of the SS program, karachakan program, and the 30 baht program, so I would still put this hospital in the 'crocodile farm' category of private businesses that unfairly discrimate to increase profits only... If the tier-pricing is true, of course. TiT, and all that.. :D

BTW, jaidee, what about your options under SS (free health care) program? If your surgery qualifies, that would be another way to go...

Edited by Ajarn

neerenram

I think it is totally fair. If you are not happy then go to your own country where you would pay a lot more for private healthcare.

now now neerenram !!

maybe we should do what you admitted doing a while ago on this forum , and travel to the uk and obtain treatment for free by falsely claiming you were a resident there on a low income or unemployed.

:o

BTW, jaidee, what about your options under SS (free health care) program? If your surgery qualifies, that would be another way to go...

Bangkok Pattaya is a private hospital... with a very good reputation (similar to Bumrungrad's in BKK).

I'm not sure that a government hospital would have either the equipment or the expertise to perform such a procedure.

I am going to do a bit more homework... :D

And I must admit Neeranam, I was very surprised at your comment too... :o

Bangkok Pattaya is a private hospital... with a very good reputation (similar to Bumrungrad's in BKK).

I'm not sure that a government hospital would have either the equipment or the expertise to perform such a procedure.

I am going to do a bit more homework... :D

And I must admit Neeranam, I was very surprised at your comment too... :o

You don't need to go to a government hospital for SS hospital or treatment benefits, in my experience. I spent a week in Ekchon Hospital under the program, including two days in ICU. I lived, so I figure the system works :D

(my bet is 10 min)

cv

The grist of the mill ,never seems to fail .:o

Edited by roscoe

a few of my friends had their lasik done at the following place. check it out. same price for everybody.

http://www.lasikthai.com/allabout/cost.asp

I had my lasik done back in 1997. I went to a place in san francisco to get them done. I paid $5000 dollars to get both of my eyes done back in 1997. best investment I ever made. before the operation, I was legally blind without my glasses. couldn't see the big E on the eye chart.

http://www.laservue.com/index.html

Gentlemen, calm down. It's a way of life over here and not strictly for farangs. When Thais from BKK vacation in Chiang Mai they pay more than the locals, once it's determined their not speaking "North" language. My "North" wife spent a month in Kunming with a group of Thai exchange students and found the local shopkeepers there were charging her and her students double what the Chinese students pay on a regular basis. My only comment to her was, "som-nam-nah". :o

Just point of interest - in the states now, the price has fallen tremendously on Lasik surgery. A friend of my wife's just got it done at a very reputable doctor's office for $600.00 per eye.