What Dslr Camera Would You Buy Today?

eurasianthai

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pic, but it would have been better if the boy in light color clothing (and light complexion) could be treated with "burning", if you have a software for it that is. BTW I never liked walking through this gate. A war weapon like .50 caliber machine gun and assault rifles should have no place in a Buddhist temple, let alone pointing at tourists. Good to know it's no longer pointed at people.

What is "burning"?

Nice pic, but it would have been better if the boy in light color clothing (and light complexion) could be treated with "burning", if you have a software for it that is. BTW I never liked walking through this gate. A war weapon like .50 caliber machine gun and assault rifles should have no place in a Buddhist temple, let alone pointing at tourists. Good to know it's no longer pointed at people.

What is "burning"?

Burning is a software technique to "burn in" (or pull back) detail in an overexposed area of the image. In Photoshop (for instance) there are specific tools for burning and dodging, the later having the opposite effect, i.e. lightening the area.

How about Panasonic GF-1 or Olympus EP-1 with a pancake, or Sigma DP1/2, jukapot?

I don't know about these cameras. I better do my research. My daughter now has the whole package of lenses and camera so I have no old lenses to use. FYI, the Neurosurgeon is planning I maybe 2 operations on my back this spring.. DSLR's are out of the picture for the time being. I'll miss the D 80 but it will be necessary to go light for a while.

Thanks for the recommendations.

P.S.

Yes, I am lazy, but how did eurasianhai know that ?

Burning is a software technique to "burn in" (or pull back) detail in an overexposed area of the image. In Photoshop (for instance) there are specific tools for burning and dodging, the later having the opposite effect, i.e. lightening the area.

So does Adobe Lightroom 2. BTW the technique is not limited to digital photography! I've done a lot of dodging and burning in school darkroom when working on B&W prints.

Edited by Nordlys

So does Adobe Lightroom 2. BTW the technique is not limited to digital photography! I've done a lot of dodging and burning in school darkroom when working on B&W prints.

I tried to keep it simple.

As I still have and use a darkroom I'm well aware of dodging and burning prints!

Have an Olympus e-510 using the 4/3 system. It's simplicity to use but to this day I don't understand what 4/3 means relative to "full frame" DSLRs. Pictures look ok for a 10 megapixel camera but I'm disappointed with the lenses supplied. Seems I get better sharpness from my pocket Casio at 3.2 megapixels.

I saw a fellow tourist hefting a Canon 7D yesterday.

It looked quite large alongside my 40D

She had a 16-35 L lens mounted, which prompted me to google to find out how it performs.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/16...performance.htm

Forget either of these lenses (16-35mm or 17-40mm) if you have a Rebel, 20D or 30D (1.6x sensor).

Get the 10-22mm EF-S instead if you want wide

Is in the small print towards the end of the article...........

Have an Olympus e-510 using the 4/3 system. It's simplicity to use but to this day I don't understand what 4/3 means relative to "full frame" DSLRs. Pictures look ok for a 10 megapixel camera but I'm disappointed with the lenses supplied. Seems I get better sharpness from my pocket Casio at 3.2 megapixels.

Take a look Here

and does a 30-40% smaller sensor automatically mean reduced quality or are more receptors crammed into the smaller sensor to compensate for the smaller size ?

Thanks for the link. I think I understand now.

Edited by sibeymai

I tried to keep it simple.

As I still have and use a darkroom I'm well aware of dodging and burning prints!

Of course I knew you knew, but not the others I bet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodging_and_burning

She had a 16-35 L lens mounted, which prompted me to google to find out how it performs.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/16...performance.htm

Forget either of these lenses (16-35mm or 17-40mm) if you have a Rebel, 20D or 30D (1.6x sensor).

Get the 10-22mm EF-S instead if you want wide

Is in the small print towards the end of the article...........

That's the old 16-35L from pre-digital days (that was undeserving of L status), they now have 16-35L II that has addressed the corner fall outs (or falloff?) of Mk1.

Personally I'd stick to 40D if I have to use a cropped sensor camera (for the reason you stated earlier). Conversely if I have to bear with the size and weight of something like Olympus E-3 I'd get a full size sensor camera that is 4 times the size of E-3.

It's simplicity to use but to this day I don't understand what 4/3 means relative to "full frame" DSLRs.

Simply put, it means 1/4 the size of full frame sensor.

Edited by Nordlys

Good bye DSLR's - Hello freedom. I already miss you but its better this way.

I am in total agreement with you.

Having had an Olympus E-420 for almost two years, I need something more compact, I am almost decided on the Canon Powershot G11, one of the cameras that you mention above. It must be good because it has a proper viewfinder :)

Seriously, the G11 has excellent specifications (as well as the viewfinder).

Everytime I take my E-420 out with me is a photo expedition, despite the fact that it is one of the smaller SLR's, it irritates me, and certainly limits the number of photos I take.

I expect to "bite the bullet" and fly with Air Asia soon, another good reason for a camera that will fit inside my laptop bag, rather than requiring a dedicated own SLR bag.

I went into a camera shop at Central World yesterday -- just out of curiosity...really!!! -- just to look at a 7D (I'm hoping Canon does continue the xxD line). I really do like the design of the camera...particularly the buttons and dials on the back). And as you pointed out, it is a bit heftier than, for example, my 50D.

I'm still not very tempted, however. The price remains very high (well over $2,000 USD here in Thailand) and the general consensus seems to be that while it has many wonderful features and functions...well, that it has many wonderful features and functions that are somewhat complicated...very steep learning curve.

Good bye DSLR's - Hello freedom. I already miss you but its better this way.

I am in total agreement with you.

Having had an Olympus E-420 for almost two years, I need something more compact, I am almost decided on the Canon Powershot G11, one of the cameras that you mention above. It must be good because it has a proper viewfinder :)

Seriously, the G11 has excellent specifications (as well as the viewfinder).

Everytime I take my E-420 out with me is a photo expedition, despite the fact that it is one of the smaller SLR's, it irritates me, and certainly limits the number of photos I take.

I expect to "bite the bullet" and fly with Air Asia soon, another good reason for a camera that will fit inside my laptop bag, rather than requiring a dedicated own SLR bag.

I wasn't aware of this - a new ruling?

Limitations on hand luggage taken on board, a Laptop and SLR Camera bag is pushing it.

I even had problems checking in with KLM (a full fare airline) via Amsterdam last month.

Has anybody had bad (or good) experience of flying AirAsia with excess hand baggage?

(sorry if this is getting a bit off topic)

Limitations on hand luggage taken on board, a Laptop and SLR Camera bag is pushing it.

I even had problems checking in with KLM (a full fare airline) via Amsterdam last month.

Has anybody had bad (or good) experience of flying AirAsia with excess hand baggage?

(sorry if this is getting a bit off topic)

I flew AirAsia last September to Cambodia with my DSLR around my neck and carrying my complete camera kit as hand luggage. (pretty heavy believe me) and must have been excess. They didn't check it.

Not the slightest problem!

What is "burning"?

Ah...ok...now I remember. It is also in GIMP, although I have little experience using it. Thanks!

I sure will need to take a decision soon since my wife is not using her Canon Ixus anymore, but "borrowing" my Canon 450D all the time.

And she is pretty good at taking pictures actually.

Being Thai helps taking pictures of Thai people, I think.

4370343852_bbc540ac74.jpg

So I might as well give it to her and buy a new one for me. :)

Actually the photo was taken by my 4 years old son.

The reason the soldier is looking down.

But for a new camera, I'm still undecided.

The Vulcan gave us a nice link that explains the pros and cons of having a full frame and a cropped sensor but with not really a clear cut advice.

If I buy a full frame camera, what do I do with the Canon 10-22mm?

And will the Canon 24-105mm become as bad as Nordlys wants us to believe it will on a full frame camera? :)

And we should not forget the price, the Canon 7D is about Baht 55,000 and the 5DMK II is about Baht 30,000 more expensive.

Anything else you would recommend?

If I buy a full frame camera, what do I do with the Canon 10-22mm?

I'm sure they will trade it in for a new lens at Fotofile. You'd be surprised how good value your old lens holds in Thailand (like cars), so long at least it's Canon.

And will the Canon 24-105mm become as bad as Nordlys wants us to believe it will on a full frame camera? :)

I never meant to convince anyone it's a bad lens on full frame (rather otherwise). Its most apparent problems vignetting and distortion can be corrected with Lightroom and photoshop. I don't see any obvious corner "fall out" with 24-105 on full frame even at wide end (and wide open).

Edited by Nordlys

And I have to say I am pretty impressed by the photos taken by Vulcan with his MK II.

Not sure it is the photographer, the camera, the lens or photoshop but I'm sure impressed :)

He will impress you with any camera!

Either way you should compare the sample shots in full size.

BTW you should also take into account the increase in weight and size when you shift from cropped sensor to full frame. Like Astral suggested, there's a good reason one should stick to cropped sensor body. You might think it's not such a big increase when you hold it in hand with an L lens at a shop. But you will feel a big difference when you have to carry it in a bag with a few lenses for couple of hours. You might need a new camera bag too.

Edited by Nordlys