Drugs Offenders In Thailand... Be Aware...

oz457

According to a high ranking police officer, snr colonel, I interviewed last year, a member of the public has every right to refuse giving a urine sampling.

"Giving a sample is up to you"

However, should the police officer be able to provide any other evidence that that member of public had been meddling in drugs, other ways to substantiate his claim for forwarding to a court of law may be undertaken.

According to a high ranking police officer, snr colonel, I interviewed last year, a member of the public has every right to refuse giving a urine sampling.

However, should the police officer be able to provide any other evidence that that member of public had been meddling in drugs, other ways to substantiate his claim for forwarding to a court of law may be undertaken.

thank you

exactly correct

they cannot force you by any legal means,

and taking it further means more opportunity to pay ones way out

Yep, that's a good one. "He was behaving strangely" says nothing specific but would cover just about anything.

Reminds me of the time I was stopped by California Highway Patrol (contrary to the assumption that they are fleet of traffic cops, they're actually a State militia) for 'stopping in the intersection back there.' Pure bs, but what can you do, tell them they're wrong and drive off? He didn't press the issue, but proceeded with about 10 minutes of trying to prove I was intoxicated (I don't drink). I just went through the motions with a mild sense of amusement. But after he put the breathalyzer away he was suddenly quite courteous, all four and a half feet of him; I was tempted to ask him what the height requirement for joining the force was. Little bastard.

^ On that happy note, a little joke:

One day, a fellow complained to his friend.

"My elbow really hurts. I guess I should see a doctor."

His friend offered, "Don't do that! There's a computer at the drug store that can diagnose anything, quicker and cheaper than a doctor. Simply put in a sample of your urine and the computer will diagnose your problem and tell you what you can do about it. It only costs $10. He figured he had nothing to lose, so he filled a jar with a urine sample and went to the drug store. Finding the computer, he poured in the sample and deposited the $10. The computer

started making some noises and various lights started flashing. After a brief pause, out popped a small slip of paper on which was printed: "You have tennis elbow. Soak your arm in warm water. Avoid heavy labour." It will be better in two weeks. Late that evening while thinking how amazing this new technology was and how it would change medical science forever, he began to wonder if this machine could be fooled. He decided to give it a try. He mixed together some tap water, a stool sample from his dog, and urine samples from his wife and daughter. To top it off, he masturbated into the concoction. He went back to the drug store, located the machine, poured in the sample and deposited the $10. The machine again made the usual noise and printed out the following analysis: "Your tap water is too hard. Get a water softener. Your dog has worms. Give him vitamins. Your daughter's using cocaine. Put her in a rehabilitation clinic. Your wife's pregnant - twin girls. They aren't yours. Get a lawyer. And, if you don't stop jerking off, your tennis elbow will never get better.

Good one!

I will concur with what Oz says. I have been making the trip between Issan & Pattaya for several years now. Normal check points--normal BS concerning driving in the right lane or speeding. Never something a couple hundred baht wouldn't resolve on the spot. Check points are normal up country and I have never had a problem once I suggest donating a few baht for coffee. :D

Sometimes I have staff with me sometimes alone, but almost always at night in the wee hours.

For the first time about 6 months ago as Oz says "Between Khorat & Saraburi" heading toward Pattaya at about 0400 AM I was stopped at some Bo-dunk checkpoint in the middle of no-where. This was a check point I don't remember seeing before on the many trips I have made in the past.

The officer asked my staff to step to the back of the car. He didn't even ask to see "My papers" and left me sitting there behind the wheel wondering <deleted> was going on as my staff walked out of view of my mirrors.

A few minutes later my staff walks up and explains that he failed the "urine" test and the police want 8,000 baht or he goes to jail. He said all he had was 3 thousand on him. :)

I got out of the car and opened my wallet so the policeman could see, and removed what was left in my wallet (about 900 baht) and shoved it into my staffs hand and said "that's all I have" and got back in the car. My staff and policeman walked back to the group of police sitting behind their pick-up trucks and some type of conversation takes place between them.

A few minutes later my staff gets back in the car and says the police accepted the 3,900 baht and he was free to go.

For what it's worth boys and girls, be careful who you have in your car when going up country. I was angry for two reasons. One, the dishonest cops extracting money from people driving on the highway and two, the fact my staff was/is apparently a Yaa Baa user, and I had no idea.

As someone suggested "just refuse to take the test" ----- sounds easy ---- but when you are stopped in the middle of Bum F Egypt at 0400 in the morning with no one around except a half a dozen cops hanging around and in a very poorly lit area on some Thai highway, it just ain't my style to suggest refusing to take a drug test by the police.

Unless you have actually driven those Issan highways alone at night, you really can't feel that uneasy feeling you get when you are stopped at a police check-point.

It is scary for me to say the least in spite of having nothing to hide and all your paper work is in order. :D

edited 4 typo

Edited by just_another_guy