reginaldsnoo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blade 900...

Not a huge amount of visual work done.. Bit its mine..

Cool throw up a pic sometime. I love the look of a good streetfighter

I will do a LOT of visual work on my Sporty to the point even most Sportster owners would hardly recognize it's pedigree.

I am looking forward to a UPS truck pulling up tomorrow and you bet I will post my final tally of costs then :)

then we start the whole thing again for the engine

Since the USPS stopped ground shipping overseas, your best bet is their largest Priority Mail flat rate box for small parts like pistons. $ 56.96, I think. Declared as a gift of low value, they should go through ok.

VIN and engine numbers are two things, right? Maybe you can use a new cylinder head and keep using the part of the old engine with the engine number stamped in.

Ideally, you will find someone paying for a whole container to be shipped.

Since the USPS stopped ground shipping overseas, your best bet is their largest Priority Mail flat rate box for small parts like pistons. $ 56.96, I think. Declared as a gift of low value, they should go through ok.

VIN and engine numbers are two things, right? Maybe you can use a new cylinder head and keep using the part of the old engine with the engine number stamped in.

Ideally, you will find someone paying for a whole container to be shipped.

I'm having the same trouble trying to get VW's and VW parts in.

USPS dropping surface mail is a big headache. I got a good deal on bringing my household goods in a 20 foot container, but looking for a shipper to bring in parcels and smaller crates at less than air mail rates has been frustrating.

I'm glad for the reference to Sea Fly Shipping. I'll check them out.

I saw DHL is good on air too. A UK supplier of VW camper interiors quotes only 250 GBP to bring it here by DHL air.

A friend in the VW club suggested sharing a container to split costs to bring my parts, engines, and maybe my last camper here.

Why not just get a Thai VW camper.. I know a Thai guy who can find vans and bugs and parts..

Really.. Attempting a vehicle import is a great way to lose the vehicle.

Lost my job the other day.........Well, I still know where it is but every time I go there there's this new guy there.

Even worse I lost my girlfriend too............Well, I still know where she lives but everytime I go there there's this new guy there.

Losing a vehicle seems awfully harsh. :) Wouldn't they just make you pay to return ship it or to ship it to a port like Singapore where there might be less entanglements in getting access to it? Even when I have been told "mai dai" by customs it was never suggested that I might not be able to at least have it forwarded on to another port.

I was told with Thai customs once it lands to them they will not release it to ship out without payment in full.. And as no quote is firm, it means playing Russian roulette.. They keep raising the price until you walk away and the chief of the customs dept has a nice new toy..

Read the guys thread about having his supra nicked off him.. Exact same story..

If you in business you ever do custom clearance at your home country yourself? I'm from a European country and I can remember that I had high hopes and was sure that I was up-to-date with all rules and regulations to import my H-D from the USA. O what did I made mistakes, it was a nightmare... it was almost send to the demolishes-yard because I was to late with papers.....

Trust me Thailand is much more relaxed, and in Thailand you can always find a way to find a solution... My best advice, if you want to import anything, is using a official shipping and clearing agent... saves you huge amounts of money and things move so fast you hardly can believe it...

Edited by Richard-BKK

If you in business you ever do custom clearance at your home country yourself? I'm from a European country and I can remember that I had high hopes and was sure that I was up-to-date with all rules and regulations to import my H-D from the USA. O what did I made mistakes, it was a nightmare... it was almost send to the demolishes-yard because I was to late with papers.....

Yes all the time.. Must have done it 10 or 15 times..

Never more difficult than filling in a couple of forms and sending it away.. Never spent 1 penny on taxes or bribes.

Just bought cars, shipped or drove them to the UK, put a MOT (road test) on them (including stickers on the headlights for LHD / RHD) and the papers came in my name..

Simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...
Be well worth bringing in a used engine then.. 10% + VAT is only about the same as VAT in Europe.. Just need to find th echeapest shipping method. Not in any hurry so guess it can come by sea..

Well as of today I have received a Harley frame and 2 separate boxes with motorcycle parts bought off of ebay. Shipping is a bit expensive but the price and shipping and customs all together seem to still be about half of what I get quoted for buying the same items local.

If anyone is interested I have started a build/assembly thread to keep track of my expenses and experiences building a motorcycle from the frame up in Thailand.

Visit My Website

Edited by vision

Dont mean to steal your thread but I'm looking to get a set of aftermarket cams sent over for my HD from either the US or Canada. Would DHL be the way to do it. What kind of problems am I expected to run into?

Thanks

Dont mean to steal your thread but I'm looking to get a set of aftermarket cams sent over for my HD from either the US or Canada. Would DHL be the way to do it. What kind of problems am I expected to run into?

Thanks

I wouldn't expect any problems but you need to expect the DHL customs clearance agent will charge you or as LOS has said overcharge you a bit for customs, but in my experience you will get the cams faster and cheaper and have a higer % chance of getting the right part the first time by doing it yourself then by having a local shop order for you.

Send em regular air parcel (registered / recorded / to be signed for) with a value of under 20 USD..

Every time I send something courier it becomes a major hassle.. Air mail just arrives and I sometimes pay a 7 baht processing fee..

• 5 weeks later...
Thai post.. 7% VAT and probably 30% engine parts on the declared value..

DHL usually add processing fees, clearance fees, handling fees, etc.. They once managed to turn a 120 usd item into a 12k tax bill !!

Actually the correct customs tax on an engine is 10% of CIF (Cost + Insurance + Freight). My 2007 HD engine was just delivered to my doorstep this morning via Fed Ex. The engine valued at $1012 because that is what I paid from the ebay auction I won it on.

Cost 1,012 USD (Declared value)

Insurance 10.12 USD (1% from Cost)

Freight 29,931 THB (90.7 kilogram x 330 THB per kilogram)

CIF 63,119.08

10% of CIF was 6312baht

VAT was another 4200 and so I paid the Driver 10,000 baht

Total engine cost to arrive at my feet was 34,000 for engine, 16,000 baht for shipping and 10,00 baht for tax.

Total = 60,000 baht

I am pretty happy right now :)

Edit- the reason for discrepency in shipping cost is that for purpose of CIF Fed ex applied the standard shipping cost but becuase I am frequent shipper I was then credited 45% so that only the 16,000 was charged to my CC.

Edited by vision

Blade 900...

I will do a LOT of visual work on my Sporty to the point even most Sportster owners would hardly recognize it's pedigree.

I am looking forward to a UPS truck pulling up tomorrow and you bet I will post my final tally of costs then :)

heres a pic of my old blade streetfighter ...pics were in street fighter magazine fan mail...so sorry for por quality pics...just copied them from web cam

post-70166-1272419108_thumb.jpg

post-70166-1272419129_thumb.jpg

post-70166-1272419150_thumb.jpg

Blade 900...

heres a pic of my old blade streetfighter ...pics were in street fighter magazine fan mail...so sorry for por quality pics...just copied them from web cam

That paint job is off the hook! I bet that bike gets a lot of attention eh? Personally I love the look of an aluminum fame just left in bar metal form like that but I know it is kinda a pain to maintain it looking nice. What ever happened with the bike?

DHL usually add processing fees, clearance fees, handling fees, etc.. They once managed to turn a 120 usd item into a 12k tax bill !!

Actually the correct customs tax on an engine is 10% of CIF (Cost + Insurance + Freight). My 2007 HD engine was just delivered to my doorstep this morning via Fed Ex. The engine valued at $1012 because that is what I paid from the ebay auction I won it on.

CIF 63,119.08

10% of CIF was 6312baht

Total engine cost to arrive at my feet was 34,000 for engine, 16,000 baht for shipping and 10,00 baht for tax.

Total = 60,000 baht

Edit- the reason for discrepency in shipping cost is that for purpose of CIF Fed ex applied the standard shipping cost but becuase I am frequent shipper I was then credited 45% so that only the 16,000 was charged to my CC.

The 30 + 7 is I understand what they charge on new parts..

Yes full used engine was 10%.. Seemed important to show it was older also, no idea if recent ones get different charges than older ones.

CIF 63,119.08

10% of CIF was 6312baht

Total = 60,000 baht

The 30 + 7 is I understand what they charge on new parts..

Yes full used engine was 10%.. Seemed important to show it was older also, no idea if recent ones get different charges than older ones.

Hope this info helps anyone considering importing and engine.

Obviously this is the first of many steps on the way to a green book but I prefer knowing that I can absolutely prove #1 that this engine is mine and #2 that import duties have been paid on THIS engine.

Blade 900...

That paint job is off the hook! I bet that bike gets a lot of attention eh? Personally I love the look of an aluminum fame just left in bar metal form like that but I know it is kinda a pain to maintain it looking nice. What ever happened with the bike?

i sold the bike ..bike picked up prizes at every show and rally i ever brought it too ...u cant really see the details on tank n tail unit from pics but its still on the go but looks really rough now ..sold it to a guy who doesent take pride in keeping a clean bike if u know what i mean

• 4 weeks later...
Hey vision, do you register the new frame already? Get in trouble with this, or it was easy?

As I understand it I will need to have the bike complete before i apply for that. Right now I have a folder with a receipts, shipping, info and customs taxes all in my name for each piece.

If you want to follow the build I have a blog here..... http://flyinpiston.blogspot.com/

I bookmark the blog already, i really interest on how easy is the way to "change" the Frame" resp. the number.

Today i talk with some friend at the govt, she told me its absolutly no problem, cost about 1600 baht and they need only to see the original bike an picture(that surprise me a little) or the original bike and the new frame...

Im little bit confused, that something importend like that, change a frame number from the original frame to a custom frame, will be a easy and cheap process in thailand? :)

I bookmark the blog already, i really interest on how easy is the way to "change" the Frame" resp. the number.

Today i talk with some friend at the govt, she told me its absolutly no problem, cost about 1600 baht and they need only to see the original bike an picture(that surprise me a little) or the original bike and the new frame...

Im little bit confused, that something importend like that, change a frame number from the original frame to a custom frame, will be a easy and cheap process in thailand? :)

If you already have the book and you are changing only the frame number I wouldn't expect it to be too hard or expensive since many times there is cause to change a like for like or like for similar frame in the case of a cracked or bent frame for example.

The difficult job is getting the whole new bike "booked" so that you have a single document of ownership, so that you can register and insure the bike, and so that you can later transfer the bike someone else name.

The difficult job is getting the whole new bike "booked" so that you have a single document of ownership, so that you can register and insure the bike, and so that you can later transfer the bike someone else name.

Im not sure, maybe i misunderstand something. But if i have a frame number from the original bike, insured, booked everything clean and perfect, if i get this number on my custom frame, build this custom cycle complete new, and drive with it, sale it or whatever, where is the problem? Why i have to "booked" it again?

I guess, Thailand dont has an institution like TÜV or DEKRA in germany, so why should i go there again, and show the finish cycle?

Im confused :)

Edited by giletto

Im not sure, maybe i misunderstand something. But if i have a frame number from the original bike, insured, booked everything clean and perfect, if i get this number on my custom frame, build this custom cycle complete new, and drive with it, sale it or whatever, where is the problem? Why i have to "booked" it again?

I guess, Thailand dont has an institution like TÜV or DEKRA in germany, so why should i go there again, and show the finish cycle?

Im confused :)

As I understand it (and my understanding is far from complete I will admit) If you have the bike booked, registered and insured and all the numbers (ie.... CC's, engine number and maker, frame number and maker and licence plate) match then you are golden. f you are holding that then i would say "Dont trouble trouble until trouble troubles you"