Ronong Visa Run Denied 60 Day Visa On 2nd Entry

l need some advice as l only got 15 days on my 2nd entry. l went to Ronong and took the boat from the

Andaman Club to Myanmar. l had a 2 entry Tourist visa issued in NY on 21 Sept 2009 with a enter before date of 20 Dec 2009, l entered on 17 Nov 2009. l got a 30 extension which expired on 14 Feb 2010 and

went to KAW THAUNG Myanmar on 13 Feb 2009. Upon returning l was told that my visa was only good for 15 days as l did not use my 2nd entry before 20 Dec 2009 so it was expired. ls this correct that l could only get 15 days, l was under the impression l would get another 60 days on it. l'm checking here as l was going to go to immigrations to try and get it changed to 60 days if l'm right, but now l'm confused as what l can do, any help will be appreciated and thanks for the help. lf anybody is going to use the

Andaman Club for a visa run, be advised do not order any food unless you want to spend 3 1/2 hrs waiting for a return ride.

You needed to make your second entry by 19th Dec 2009 latest to activate your second 60 day period. Your visa had expired and therefore you received 15 day visa exempt stamp on re-entry. Single and double entry tourist visas are issued with 90 day 'use by' period at NY consulate.

I, too, had this happen to me last week, and now I am planning yet another run to Vientiane :)

I had interpreted the "Enter before" date as the expiry of the first entry. Why? Because in the past (looking at the dates in my pp) I was issued a 2 entry in Vientiane 28 Oct 2008. I hung out in Laos a while, and got stamped into Thailand 25 November. Got a visa extension in January 2009, then did the Ranong run 22 Feb, when I was stamped back in for another 60 days. The Enter Before date on this visa was 27 Jan 2009.

It looks like interpretation of that date has changed.

Other countries' visas may have an activation expiry, and that's what I thought this was. (activation expiry: you may have been issued a multi-year visa, but you have until a certain date to first enter the country (like within 90 days of date of issue) to put the visa into play)

Pain in the arse!

There has not been any change in interpretation - a Thailand visa use before date is exactly that - all allowed entries must be used before that date.

The only interpretation is the last day - some officers will allow entry, some will not. As the wording is use before it appears those that do not allow entry are technically correct.

You got lucky in Ranong.

Can you tell me how l can use a 2nd entry to get 60 days if my first entry without extension expired on 29 Dec 2009, there is only 60 days from issue date to enter before date, so l would not be able to get an extension ( which l did and had until 14 Feb 2010) others get 180 days with 2nd entry and extensions.

How can this be done as next yr l do not want to get it wrong. Thanks for help.

Can you tell me how l can use a 2nd entry to get 60 days if my first entry without extension expired on 29 Dec 2009, there is only 60 days from issue date to enter before date, so l would not be able to get an extension ( which l did and had until 14 Feb 2010) others get 180 days with 2nd entry and extensions.

How can this be done as next yr l do not want to get it wrong. Thanks for help.

It would seem that you obtained the visa in NY almost two months before arriving for the first time in November. The trick might be to not obtain a visa until you're about to get on the plane.

The two entry visa is not issued to allow you to remain in Thailand for an extended period - the reason for issue is to allow travel and return. Most tourists would spend a week or so - go elsewhere and then return for a few days so would work for them.

If you want to use for maximum stay you obtain immediately prior to entry - use the 60 days + 30 days extension but prior to visa use before date (not the 30 day extension date) exit/return for second 60 days and extend for full 30 days.