Embassies Issue Travel Advisories : Thaksin Asset Ruling

webfact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On their website (Dutch Embassy) they even suggest not to wear red or yellow clothings!

Der!!!!! I would never of thought of that!..... lets all put our yellow or red shirts on & stand around in crowds ,,,,,great idea.

I have lived here in Thailand 13years & seen a lot. The Thai people by nature & general culture are very placid people.... :D .......but when they kick off..they lose face.... & it all gets very nasty from there on . :D They pack together lose control & use whatever weapons they can.

Think for a moment if you were Thai & your mother got pushed over in a crowd. You are going to go crazy to defend her....an argument, a scuffle & then...mass mayhem! :D

You would be an idiot to get involved & the warnings to stay away are just that...WARNINGS.... its not our business & we have no vote so keep out of their way. & have a nice day. :)

This response is so predictable. How can you not fall asleep as you read it? Blah blah blah. What a joke. Year after year.

How many people, farang or otherwise, has been hurt in any of this Thai political BS? Raise your hand. Thought so. Never has been, never will be.

10.5 months ago stood there 10 meters away from the burning bus... watched it explode. Hooray. Don't give a f&$%. What a joke. I just hope the airports get closed so I can't get back to BKK from USM next weekend.

L8

You would have loved CAMBODIA when that kicked off ............Or maybe NOT!!!! They say ignorance is bliss! you lucky boy!

The advice given is sound and essential by the embassies.some of the hypocrits who seem to subscribe here would jump all over them if they did not do that.however if common street smart sense is applied farangs are not going to be caught in trouble.it is all political as we who have been here for a while understand, The North East general populace are not fanatics and many have changed their opinion re the current govt.When dealing with a generally uneducated population the govt in charge sometimes must make decisions that may not seem totally democratic to us so called informed farangs.corruption and in fighting is apparent in any govt in any part of the world.chill out life goes on and peacefully if one is smart to stay away from ovious potential trouble spots. some of you more radical subscribers need to take up golf where you can vent your frustrations out on a small white ball.we should remember we are only visitors here.

the more various scenarios are discussed the more precaution will take place. Thais are not that ignorant. I'm glad when nothing happens. Some seem to think in the opposite.

When I warned a friend in 1992 he ignored my advice of not to go near the mob and army. He liked to jog in the morning was in a good shape, but got shot in the back and was 3 weeks in coma. The Nation still has the incidence in archive I think. It was headline for many days.

You must mean Brendon from New Zealand. I lost track of him, how is he and where is he now? Is he still teaching? I would appreciate an email if you know how to find him.

Cheers

Jerry Biggs

The Australian government is insane, and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, so ignore them if you want to save your own sanity. As for the others, I can't comment.

really - sounds like another intelligent comment -seems u have a beef with the govt -=- and clear to see that u were not caught up in the airport protests in bkk and phuket by the yellow shirts or the mayhem in bkk last songkran - I think this advisory is a reminder to those coming here on holiday or the expats here to exercise caution - i for one wont be going out over these few days -- got caught up in the problems and bombs a few year ago on new years eve - safer and saner to stay at home -

Mmmmm, how about Chiang Mai? Are we ok up here?

Our family hasn't worn red or yellow clothing for nearly a year now. Our oldest is looking forward to wearing his red t-shirts when he leaves CM for university this year... hopefully they still fit! :)

Looks like the Americans have issued their warning today as well:

February 19, 2010

This message alerts U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Thailand

that there are indications that political demonstrations may take place

leading up to, on, or after the February 26 Supreme Court ruling on the

case of former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's financial

assets. Over the next few weeks, U.S. citizens should pay close

attention to public sources of information, including media reporting

and the U.S. Embassy website, concerning events on the streets of

Bangkok. U.S. citizens should avoid demonstrations and large-scale

political activities.

We wish to remind U.S. citizens that even demonstrations intended to be

peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence.

U.S. citizens are urged to avoid the area of the demonstrations and to

exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations.

For the latest security information, U.S. citizens living and traveling

abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Bureau of Consular

Affairs Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current

Worldwide Caution, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings, and

health-information resources can be found. Up-to-date information on

security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the

United States and Canada or, for callers in other areas by calling a

regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from

8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S.

federal holidays).

U.S. citizens traveling or residing in Thailand are encouraged to

register with the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy. The Embassy

is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok. The American Citizen

Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling

66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after hours

emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

Yellows are much more dangerous..... they actually kidnapped, assaulted, killed people at the airport.... not to mention taking over govt buildings. Total nutters the yellows are when compared to the Reds.

Haha somebody's been hitting the wacky weed early! Nobody killed, assaulted, or kidnapped at airport. Completely peaceful. Unlawful, I 100% agree. But none of the things you just claimed....go smoke another bowl!

Interestingly, I checked in for a flight the day after the yellows left. The agent at the counter told me that she had left quickly when it all began, forgetting her laptop which she left by her station. When she returned, it was placed under the counter at her station. She told me that the yellows had even cleaned the toilets that they had been using before they left. Nothing was stolen from Duty Free either. Real nutters those yellow shirts were.

To be save you need too avoid Thailand in Total. The other day i drunk thai man put a gun to my head, but he was to chikken to use it, after i went to police station and they would not do anything, then i started complaining about the police, then they wanted to arest me. But i just gave them the finger and left and nothing more happent.

Thailand is the wild west, get use to and live with it or get out of Thailand that is the only thing to do.

You're writing from Pattaya I presume? That sort of thing has never happened to me in 25 years of living in Thailand. The Thailand I know certainly isn't the wild west - more of a gentle East ...

The usual red side attempts at turning the debate from their sides violence

to the yellow sides alleged violence and malfeasances.

Funny how there is no reports of this stuff except from red posters.

Certainly taking the airport was a big step too far.

But looking at the airports physical damage in a week+

vs the reds damage in minutes in Pattaya at the ASEAN hotel...

well red apples and orange oranges.

Attempting to turn the argument away only makes it glaringly obvious

the red side doesn't stand up well under scrutiny.

Still, the PAD will have it's day in court and not come out smelling of roses.

Regardless of hyperbole from here, the courts are just bloody slow here.

Here is my simplistic but effective solution to the ongoing Red/Yellow problem in Thailand... :D

Take Thaksins estimated frozen wealth of around £2 billion pounds and divide it amongst the aprox 58 million population of Thailand! This equates to a comfortable life for everyone and prosperity for all. :clap2:

There is only one condition - nobody can wear a red or yellow shirt in the kingdom again. :cheesy:

:)

Erm, I make that £34.48 each. Hardly a "comfortable life".

I might have exaggerated a bit, but hel_l everyone could have a party and make love not warrrrr!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Should be divided between tax payers and pensioners

A big chunk of the 76 billion will be paid to investigators etc.

Commissions on seizures is the norm.

There is lots at stake, for everyone.

Is there a GT3000 device that can detect red shirts, even when they dont wear one?

And maybe the army can buy some submarines (long in the planning) to monitor the red shirts with those GT3000 devices. Or they can just use the submarines to tow the aircraft carrier to BKK to protect against red shirt protesters. The harriers should be equipped with these new GT3000 devices. Of course they cannot fly but who cares.

The Australian government is insane, and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, so ignore them if you want to save your own sanity. As for the others, I can't comment.

Why is the Australian government insane?? It sounds like really sensible advice. Not that it would stop me from travelling to Thailand, but it's a pretty responsible and accurate judgement of the situation.

For us Aussies living here (10 years) this place averages a Coup every 3 years so this is just another to cope with but this type of reporting causes unprecedented losses to Thai (and foreign) business. Yes it is warranted, but try some expose' on what it is about. Blanket press coverages by stringers hardly warrant the true situation.

Many of the Red Shirts are being 'paid' to protest thus not really in their interest and neither is wearing a bullet on behalf of the convicted criminal and former prime minister but the Prime Minister has assured the public no violence will be instigated to control the demonstrators.

There are also many reports that Hun Sen in Cambodia is wooing Thaksin's wealthier supporters to move their businesses into Cambodia - wealth Cambodia desperately needs. And they are being given all types of 'incentives'. Con men and scam artists are many from both sides of the border thus they will join their fellow compatriots. Good riddance.

So hopefully this 'Red' poison will all go away once the poor Thai people realise the only interest Takky has in them is to get back his lost money he scammed. Let's hope the Thai criminal cronies join their fearless leader (sic). Economically Thailand is surviving well in the midst of the Wests induced global financial crisis and this could bode well for those being left in peace to run their businesses and prosper. A country that is not over-governed and has a lot more modicum of freedom means healthier trade and more chance to make a living.

Let's hope the 'warnings' such that they are - are contained within sensibility. :)

Farang should either:

a) Go home now or

:) Arm yourselves with GT200.

Saw an article in the Bangkok Post saying that the police were now using chop-sticks to check for bombs.

Still freely available to buy as far as I know.

The usual red side attempts at turning the debate from their sides violence

to the yellow sides alleged violence and malfeasances.

Funny how there is no reports of this stuff except from red posters.

Certainly taking the airport was a big step too far.

But looking at the airports physical damage in a week+

vs the reds damage in minutes in Pattaya at the ASEAN hotel...

well red apples and orange oranges.

Attempting to turn the argument away only makes it glaringly obvious

the red side doesn't stand up well under scrutiny.

Still, the PAD will have it's day in court and not come out smelling of roses.

Regardless of hyperbole from here, the courts are just bloody slow here.

Well said - and not just in Pattaya - burning public property - buses - does not rate as a passive demonstration and neither does placing LPG trucks with gas bottles and petrol cans on them.

That should have been put down with 'extreme prejudice'. It would have been a warning the Govt will not tolerate acts of terrorism.

To be save you need too avoid Thailand in Total. The other day i drunk thai man put a gun to my head, but he was to chikken to use it, after i went to police station and they would not do anything, then i started complaining about the police, then they wanted to arest me. But i just gave them the finger and left and nothing more happent.

Thailand is the wild west, get use to and live with it or get out of Thailand that is the only thing to do.

BULLSHIT!!!! :)

Yet another topic which has inspired some really intelligent posts. :)

The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office and others are obliged to issue such warnings.

Whatever individuals do after that is their decision. However, it does make good sense to be circumspect as there will be trouble next week.

Edited by Jonathanpattaya

you sound a nice bloke! :)

onnut, I totally agree :D

On their website (Dutch Embassy) they even suggest not to wear red or yellow clothings!

That's ok coz the Dutch like to wear orange for sporting occasions anyway!!

They just like orange, Look what they done to Carrots

:)

Thaksin might be a factor but in the North and North East is absolutely not the main factor anymore. It is about the fact that a large group of citizens are robbed of their votes and about the fact that they are called stupid.

Sorry, this is for the NE absolutly not true!

They know nothing about democracy, they only like to have Tuxin back. They are told that he woud release them from there debts, ..... :) and about there are "stupid", they beliefe things like this.

I will stay away from them, then the most are "stupid" and about this dangerous.