Harleys

gharknes

I once worked with a guy who was a HD lover (he was an electrician & he owned a HD). One day, I asked him what the attraction was. His reply was that HD's are very easily customised to suit your "personality". He stressed this "personality" part. Further to this, he also advised me not to rush into the purchase of a HD. Of course, I asked why. He told me that if you didn't have the money to keep up with the maintenance, you'll have a useless bike.

Another guy, with whom I'd worked, was a former Harley owner. His advice was simple, "If you can't afford to buy a Harley shop, don't bother buying one (a bike) because the spare parts purchases will send you broke."

Yet another friend of mine, who spent most of his time riding around the world, said very simply, "Harleys are complete crap. They were designed for use in WW2 & the engineering has changed very little since. They cost a fortune in spare parts & your whole body vibrates for an hour after you get off one. If you're serious about road touring & not "showing off", buy a BMW or another well engineered & well balanced bike."

Fortunately for me, I've only ever raced motocross, done enduro & trial. If I buy a bike in Thailand, it will not be a stepthrough, scooter or a road bike. It will certainly not be a Harley! Since I would only do the speed limit (max 100kph), a 250 Enduro will be perfect. At least on one of these things, I have a lot of control over balance & steering at lower speeds.

Never have been a Harley owner, always the motocross, endure and dual sport rider similar to yourself (the 250 Kawasaki’s would be the bike choice you’d enjoy the most), but have known a tremendous number of owners. One point about 12 plus years ago either all my friends had one or were planning to get one, and the parts train you mentioned was all a matter of choice. Some fit the crowd you mentioned without a doubt, spending insane amounts of money on what should cost less – for what bought my last two motorbikes for you spent on a paint job on your fuel tank? One shopping trip for new HD threads for your wife cost double what I spent on full body protection? Those dangly bits on your handlebars cost WHAT? You spent over 3000 baht on a official HD, leather gear shift cover for your truck? (many many more..)

Yet other friends rode stock bikes for several years with nothing but excepted maintenance costs, with of course yearly Canadian mileage being what it is for a full time working man in a seasonal climate. And of those unmodified bikes two things; they are quite smooth to ride with a satisfying exhaust note and (not sure why) easy, fun, to handle at low speed. Seriously u-turns at slow speeds on a neighbor’s newish softtail was almost addicting in the fun factor. Easy, high initial stability with the underlying fact that it’s a massive bike with costly big bikes bits makes it enjoyable for some wacky reason. Sure the HD owners could explain why, but I’ve never wanted to own one.

Maybe when my hearing goes I'll get one with straight pipes :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not sell my Harley for 10 Japanese Bikes! I love the sound, I love the brand and I don't care which bikes others are riding. What a senseless thread!

Cheers

Yes you are right and I agree, but just pisses me off with all these HD haters, who only writes bullsh!t and never rode one them selves and some aren't even bike riders but 4 wheel drivers (me too by the way).

I could write for a long time why I prefer a HD anytime, but whats the point, they still don't get it. I never slam other brands, all bikes and brands are good in their own way depending on what you want to use the bike for and where in the world you live.

Ohh one last thing, why don't you HD haters take a look at this excellent web-site: http://horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/

Cheers to everybody. :)

I would not sell my Harley for 10 Japanese Bikes! I love the sound, I love the brand and I don't care which bikes others are riding. What a senseless thread!

Cheers

sound and brand....................two good reasons to by a bike....are you serious

how about - pure performance, comfort (including ride, vibration, noise, especially on long journeys, passenger comfort) pure enjoyment....handling....looks, value for money and consideration for others i.e. noise pollution

personally my only real beef as mentioned pereviously with HD is when the exhaust is effectivly removed, as a bike wouldn't be my choice but thats just me and personal preference which I am entitled too as are HD owners, and the only person thinks the noise is cool is the person sitting on it, and being in motorsport myself the sound of a nicely tuned engine really rocks my boat, had a few myself.

Edited by gharknes

Cheers

Agree but I had to sell mine last year which pissed me off a bit.

:)

:D

Cheers

sound and brand....................two good reasons to by a bike....are you serious

how about - pure performance, comfort (including ride, vibration, noise, especially on long journeys, passenger comfort) pure enjoyment....handling....looks, value for money and consideration for others i.e. noise pollution

personally my only real beef as mentioned pereviously with HD is when the exhaust is effectivly removed, as a bike wouldn't be my choice but thats just me and personal preference which I am entitled too as are HD owners, and the only person thinks the noise is cool is the person sitting on it, and being in motorsport myself the sound of a nicely tuned engine really rocks my boat, had a few myself.

I'd buy another Harley just for the noise and the brand for sure, I rode mine all over Thailand including to trips to KL and it was very comfy and I liked the handling, it did about 200kph which was also quick enough. :D

No need to like just one type of bike or car. Japanese, American, Euro, all have some dam_n nice rides.

But something about a gurgly engine bored and floored just makes my heart sing. This is especially true in Thailand where there is a serious lack of V8 rumble.

In my 3 years of living in CM, Bigbikes were never a problem, sure there might be a meet up once every few months, but it wasn't the constant whine of Honda sonics and Yahama Mios racing until 3am.

what ever you ride guys just be safe and enjoy and try not to intrude on others

intruding on others is exactly what some loud Harleys are for. The riders want attention, and the only way to achive it is to remove baffler.

I used to have a large v-twin, 1800cc, not a tiny Harley. Quiet exhaust, but giving throttle it made the air move and almost the ground vibrate. same feeling as a big block V8 or V10. small V-twins with loud pipes is for attention seekers. No power, just intruding noise.

Edited by katabeachbum

you must not be an American. Harleys are a part of our culture like mom and apple pie. Harleys are a way of life. A life statement if you will. If you can't understand what it's like to ride a Harley, you probably never will. :)

Motorbikes sure are an emotive subject! Much of what has been said above about Harley's (maintenance costs, comfort, noise) is simply not true anymore as a lot of development work has taken place in recent years. However, it is true that a Harley is generally not the equal of a large Japanese or European bike for acceleration and handling - but it is not designed to be like that. Just look at an HD Fatboy or Roadking - clearly not designed to be cornered low on a racetrack. On that subject are the HD Touring bikes really so different from, say, a Honda Goldwing? No, they're not. To compare a typical HD to, say, a KTM or Ducati is like comparing a orange to an apple - both perfectly acceptable but different.

Why do I own a Harley? Simply put, it is a hobby - I enjoy both the riding and also the cleaning and accessorizing. Some people have stamps, art, music or jewelry as a hobby. I (and my wife) have a Harley.

As for noise, there is a very simple reason for having a loud bike when riding in Thailand - self-preservation! Sorry, but I would prefer to stay alive and riding a loud bike does indeed help. However, in reality, it is nowhere near as intrusive as the morning Tannoy announcements (especially the hour of music), the "becoming a monk" parties and the wakes - just look at the speaker stacks that accompany most parties in Thailand and the fact that they continue day and night - the transient sound of a passing HD is nothing by comparison.

As an earlier post mentioned, a stock HD is really not that loud and even the real aftermarket pipes (Vance & Hines etc), while loud, are not ear-splitting like some of the small bikes with aftermarket pipes that race around Thailand.

So, if you like mangos then eat them and if you don't like guava then don't buy them! Wouldn't it be boring if we only had one choice (like we used to with Internet Explorer for example)!!!

well said... :)

Lookee her garkness,

I don't go around trashing your kind of jap scrap,jap scrap,or rice burner or whatever it is you call them.

One thing Harley Davidson is A motorcycle not A bike.Just because you can't come up with A million baht to own one,

you shouldn't put the people down that do.As far as loudness goes,you can make any engine loud,or quiet.don't put down the machine,maybe put down the owner/operator.So many syereotypes today.

Harley not a bike? I guess that is why so many of you HD riders refer to yourself as Bikers? And you are right of course that it is the rider who makes the bike loud i.e. removes the muffler or replaces it with straight pipes. Question is why so many Harley riders do this? Because you are afraid people won't notice you on your thumping penis extension otherwise? And being noticed is important to Harley riders, have they told me. Well, some have, gives them a kick, they say. Well when I rode my first 125 Ducati fourstroke, I also changed the exhaust to open. Sounded good to me. Still think so. But since then (a long time ago) I realized there are other people around who also want to live their lives and they may not share my ideas on engine sounds. It is called consideration. So now I limit the more open exhaust to the racetrack. Oh and if you want a real Bike, not a tiny one like HD, try a BossHoss. You might be surprised. And you don't need to change the exhaust.

Yep, your getting old. Bosshoss, 350 Chevy, open hedders, now your talking, but more noise than a Harley, You don't know your stuff. No way you can fit a quiet muffler on a 5.7 ltr V8 bike. :D God, I'm not looking forward to getting old like you, oh, l am old now, somethings gone wrong, l like the sound of Harleys, V8's reving at six grand, have l been reborn, l hope so.

v8's with hollywood mufflers, Harley's and loud old time rock and roll. Heaven... :)

Riding a Harley is a way of life. Its fun. I love the sound of a nicely tunes racy Harley with lopey cams at idle. I guess its different strikes for different folks. Some of those old Brit bikes sound nice too. I get a lot of smiles and waves from people when I ride mine. There seems to be a lot of grumpy old men who are very vocal about Harleys. The good thing is it gives them something to bitch about.

Edited by beammeup

The Harley brand name has been very cleverly marketed, and some people have bought into it - whatever makes them happy!

To complain about the noise of Harleys in Pattaya is being a little pedantic - when you have buses and trucks roaring around with after market exhausts, these I do find offensive, there's not enough Harleys around to be bothered by them, they are usually in the garage being polished!

I was talking to a friend today at an outdoor cafe when one of those sound trucks idled down the street and wiped out or conversation for a while.

I thought to myself, do the owners of loud bikes enjoy that sound too? There is very little difference between the two. as they are equally intrusive and annoying.

what ever you ride guys just be safe and enjoy and try not to intrude on others

intruding on others is exactly what some loud Harleys are for. The riders want attention, and the only way to achive it is to remove baffler.

I used to have a large v-twin, 1800cc, not a tiny Harley. Quiet exhaust, but giving throttle it made the air move and almost the ground vibrate. same feeling as a big block V8 or V10. small V-twins with loud pipes is for attention seekers. No power, just intruding noise.

"Tiny Harley"? most Harleys are now 1584cc as standard with specials at 1800cc.

Motorbikes sure are an emotive subject! Much of what has been said above about Harley's (maintenance costs, comfort, noise) is simply not true anymore as a lot of development work has taken place in recent years. However, it is true that a Harley is generally not the equal of a large Japanese or European bike for acceleration and handling - but it is not designed to be like that. Just look at an HD Fatboy or Roadking - clearly not designed to be cornered low on a racetrack. On that subject are the HD Touring bikes really so different from, say, a Honda Goldwing? No, they're not. To compare a typical HD to, say, a KTM or Ducati is like comparing a orange to an apple - both perfectly acceptable but different.

Why do I own a Harley? Simply put, it is a hobby - I enjoy both the riding and also the cleaning and accessorizing. Some people have stamps, art, music or jewelry as a hobby. I (and my wife) have a Harley.

As for noise, there is a very simple reason for having a loud bike when riding in Thailand - self-preservation! Sorry, but I would prefer to stay alive and riding a loud bike does indeed help. However, in reality, it is nowhere near as intrusive as the morning Tannoy announcements (especially the hour of music), the "becoming a monk" parties and the wakes - just look at the speaker stacks that accompany most parties in Thailand and the fact that they continue day and night - the transient sound of a passing HD is nothing by comparison.

As an earlier post mentioned, a stock HD is really not that loud and even the real aftermarket pipes (Vance & Hines etc), while loud, are not ear-splitting like some of the small bikes with aftermarket pipes that race around Thailand.

So, if you like mangos then eat them and if you don't like guava then don't buy them! Wouldn't it be boring if we only had one choice (like we used to with Internet Explorer for example)!!!

Agreed. :D

When a Harley drives by everyone usually looks as its a thing of beauty. The distraction is about 2 or 3 seconds. Usually in a noisy urban setting. When those speaker trucks role by its more like a 20 or 30 second distraction. By the time they are gone you have forgotten what you are talking about. Totally different. You go down to any beach in Thailand and you will get constant longtail noise that is suppose to be a quiet tranquil setting. Now thats annoying!

There will always be a faction within the Harley, scooter, and sportbike crowds that would rather annoy the world with noise but live to ride another day.

I think Harley guys do it because they know their bike can't handle for crap so they need to alert others of their presence through massive noise.

The scooter and sportbike guys are going for less weight, more power, and to be annoying.

So I don't blame any biker for loud pipes (to a point) but there's no need to sit there and rev the engine.

If the noise is too loud for the rider (earplugs) then you know you're just being a jerk too.

I do get annoyed by the loud tuk-tuk noise because they don't need the extra attention being pretty big and covered in lights.

If the police did their job this wouldn't be an issue, but we know how that goes.

Some people would like to see all bikers gone, but I consider those people ignorant morons.

In 2005 there were ~15.5 million bikes registered in Thailand vs. ~3.5 million cars. http://www.cleanairnet.org/baq2006/1757/docs/SP6_4.ppt

If there were no bikes, traffic would be so insane you'd never leave the house.

Harleys are old school simple and their laid back posture is different, but that's their charm.

When I get older I can see myself with a chopper, I think its part of the evolution of bike ownership.

Granted I'd get a Japanese chopper since I'd prefer to ride it rather than fix it.

Noisy Hardly Rideables :D .

Noisy Autos ridden by thai suicide nutter :D .

These TWITS give motorcyclist a bad rap.

For those that go on about how these loud motorcycles save lives, perhaps you could provide some supporting DATA? Sorry you can't because its a RUBBISH STATEMENT! If you learnt to ride properly & stayed out of blind spots you would see that SHATTERING peoples eardrums had no bearing on safety, theres much more appropriate ways of being noticed. :)

For those that go on about how these loud motorcycles save lives, perhaps you could provide some supporting DATA? Sorry you can't because its a RUBBISH STATEMENT! If you learnt to ride properly & stayed out of blind spots you would see that SHATTERING peoples eardrums had no bearing on safety, theres much more appropriate ways of being noticed. :)

I don’t think you see that many big bike accidents mostly its small bikes, for me that proves that people on big bikes drives more safely, i know a lot of guys with big bike and only a very small numbers have had an accident and in most cases it has not been their fault. (i don’t count the tourist been drinking 10 beers and hire an R1)

When a Harley drives by everyone usually looks as its a thing of beauty.

More like in the same way that if a Hippo were to waddle down Sukhumvit everyone would stop and look. Over weight, loud, guzzling and outdated. And the bikes they ride aren't much better. I was sitting in one of the open bars in Hua Hin last month. In the bar across the soi three men were playing pool. They were dressed identically in their leather singlets with the same large patch on the back. Lined up in front of the bar were three identical Harleys. No concern of mine what people want to ride or wear, but it does seem strange that people wanting to stand out will dress exactly the same, including just to go down the bar on a weekday evening. Anyway, when the time came to leave they waddled out front, put on the same black lids that didn't even reach their ears and fired up their bikes. PUTTA PUTTA POP POP POP PUTTA PUTTA POP POP POP LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME POP POP POP. In the narrow soi it was ear painfully deafening, and they wobbled off leaving cries of "Dickheads" "F*ckwits" and other obscenities aimed in their direction as they passed each bar. So, now I know why their bikes are so loud, they can't stand to hear just what others really think of them.

When a Harley drives by everyone usually looks as its a thing of beauty.

More like in the same way that if a Hippo were to waddle down Sukhumvit everyone would stop and look. Over weight, loud, guzzling and outdated. And the bikes they ride aren't much better. I was sitting in one of the open bars in Hua Hin last month. In the bar across the soi three men were playing pool. They were dressed identically in their leather singlets with the same large patch on the back. Lined up in front of the bar were three identical Harleys. No concern of mine what people want to ride or wear, but it does seem strange that people wanting to stand out will dress exactly the same, including just to go down the bar on a weekday evening. Anyway, when the time came to leave they waddled out front, put on the same black lids that didn't even reach their ears and fired up their bikes. PUTTA PUTTA POP POP POP PUTTA PUTTA POP POP POP LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME POP POP POP. In the narrow soi it was ear painfully deafening, and they wobbled off leaving cries of "Dickheads" "F*ckwits" and other obscenities aimed in their direction as they passed each bar. So, now I know why their bikes are so loud, they can't stand to hear just what others really think of them.

Who care's what OTHERS think of ME when I am riding my Harley?

There is one Harley in my neighborhood that is so loud that it nearly uproots the buildings in my neighborhood. My guess is he has straight pipes or an after market muffler that allows the maximum decibel level to be heard. I do question whether stock Harleys are nearly this loud. AS to having a better chance of survival if your bike can be heard, I don't think we need any evidence on this one. It's common sense.

As to why one might prefer a Harley even though it is not nearly as fast as most other bikes, is very heavy and so on, I prefer BMW's myself. That being said, I still can easily understand why someone might see a Harley as the quintessential bike. It's American. It has a long History. So there's a lot of nostalgia here and that cannot be measured. A Harley is also big. My last BMW had 1000 c'c's and had four cylinders but the newest Harley's are 1600 c'c's. That's the same displacement my first Miata sportscar had. And there's a lot to be said about the feel and sound of large displacement engines. And as for people here claiming Harleys are poor quality machines, they were. Harley nearly went bankrupt and soared to undreamed of heights after nearly putting itself into the grave. And when I had my last BMW while subcribing to the BMW owners' magazine I kept reading from BMW owners how many of them regarded the "new Harleys" as being better motorcyles than their BMW's. Look....I hate the idea of being a slave to cleaning all that chrome and I don't like the idea of all that weight. But one thing I'd never do and that would be to call a new Harley a shabby piece of machinery.

I don't think you see that many big bike accidents mostly its small bikes, for me that proves that people on big bikes drives more safely, i know a lot of guys with big bike and only a very small numbers have had an accident and in most cases it has not been their fault. (i don't count the tourist been drinking 10 beers and hire an R1)

HDRIDER,

I agree with you & what youve said here, BUT, lets not confuse the issues here, I was addressing the issue often raised by people with overbearing exhaust mods.

Interesting that you delete the idiots that have been drinking and hiring R1's, but didnt think to extend that to all idiots that drink and ride (including scooters).

There will always be a faction within the Harley, scooter, and sportbike crowds that would rather annoy the world with noise but live to ride another day.

I think Harley guys do it because they know their bike can't handle for crap so they need to alert others of their presence through massive noise.

The scooter and sportbike guys are going for less weight, more power, and to be annoying.

So I don't blame any biker for loud pipes (to a point) but there's no need to sit there and rev the engine.

If the noise is too loud for the rider (earplugs) then you know you're just being a jerk too.

I do get annoyed by the loud tuk-tuk noise because they don't need the extra attention being pretty big and covered in lights.

If the police did their job this wouldn't be an issue, but we know how that goes.

Some people would like to see all bikers gone, but I consider those people ignorant morons.

In 2005 there were ~15.5 million bikes registered in Thailand vs. ~3.5 million cars. http://www.cleanairnet.org/baq2006/1757/docs/SP6_4.ppt

If there were no bikes, traffic would be so insane you'd never leave the house.

Harleys are old school simple and their laid back posture is different, but that's their charm.

When I get older I can see myself with a chopper, I think its part of the evolution of bike ownership.

Granted I'd get a Japanese chopper since I'd prefer to ride it rather than fix it.

Fix what? Ever ridden with a group of mixed bikes? They all break down out of the blue,something electrical usually. Have ridden a few thousand k in Thailand with small and large groups,very few breakdowns. Especially the HD's.

In my Thailand the loud noises are many (Speaker loaded trucks, "racing" 125's, tuk tuks, street lamp mounted loudspeakers, and 24 hour karaokes ect ) and there are very few Harleys around. If you want to live in most places in Thailand you probably should try to let the loud sounds pass without raising your blood pressure too much or you will drive yourself nuts.

I love all motorcycles and anything with an engine really but as a guy who is on motorcycle forums all day I can tell you riders this..... In general the guys who have and ride both Jap bikes and Harleys to any reasonable degree prefer the agility and acceleration of their Japanese bike but say they love their Harley's and generally when they outgrow the need for speed they usually give up the Japanese bikes before the HOG.