My Month On Living On Samui

ongoing

I have just spent a month on Samui. I live in Thailand ( but not Samui ) full time and have done for the last 15 years. I spent my month in Lamai. Its a nice and more relaxed place than chewang i think. Samui is a nice place for a holiday. But i dont think i could live there. A few things that stood out to me and a few questions i have for the local expats of samui. First the bar's in Lamai the ones on the same road as the old boxing stadium. I sent quite alot of time in them. Most of them seemed to be owned by british guys and most of them all seem to be friends with eachother. What i cant understand is how they all stay in business ? and why are all there prices the same ? Surly if one of these bars started to offer cheaper beer they would have many more custmers. There seems to be a few bigger bars owned by the popular guys then other guys come and open up smaller bars and try to become friends with the guys who owner bigger bars. Another thing about these bar owners they alwasy seen to tell me ( not that i ever asked ) what a decent girl there wife / gf is. How much they trust them . Which i could never understand why would they want to tell me this so much ?? But i did like most of the guys there they all seem like a good bunch of guys just maybe the sun has gone to there head a bit ! :)

Also another thing that struck me about the local expats on samui. Is its rather like school grond rules. Everyone seems to claim to no someone of ' power ' ot they are very ' good friends ' with the local police ( which i find very hard to belive ) But alot of talk always seems to be about who knows who. and about how they try to impress by knowing local thais. Rather like at school when everyone trys to impress the most popular kids.

I know this goes on in other places like pattaya but not as much as i seen it on samui. On samui it seems to be a contest to see which farang expat ios the most ' thai '

Yawn

no need for that is there , the guys just airing his views , if i remember correct screaming eagle you were warned in a previous post about flaming people, if youve nothing constructive to say then maybe you should go join pattaya addicts :)

Yawn

no need for that is there , the guys just airing his views , if i remember correct screaming eagle you were warned in a previous post about flaming people, if youve nothing constructive to say then maybe you should go join pattaya addicts :D

I've not been warned about flaming anyone. Ask Rooo. I notice you have nothing constructive to say about the original post! :)

If one dropped there prices then others would have to follow and none of them would make any money. Better to agree a price whereby they can all make a decent marjin.

Regarding your other points, without sounding rude, maybe you should have spent more time talking to people who are not permanently in the bars, and you might have gotten a slightly different perspective. :)

Sorry Dmax but have to agree with the birdman. The guy spent a month on Samui and all he has to say is the bars in Lamai all sell their beer at the same price and the bar owners wives / GF are great. A real great insight for a month on Samui! And considering where he spent his month is it any wonder he was told tales of BIG MAFIA ? No doubt he also met lots of ex SAS, Delta force, MI5 /6 CIA and professional hitmen in the very same bars ? :) Unless of course they only drink in Bangrak :D

Another big YAWN. And if posting a big YAWN is flaming ROO take me away " Its a fair cop " :D

Yawn

no need for that is there , the guys just airing his views , if i remember correct screaming eagle you were warned in a previous post about flaming people, if youve nothing constructive to say then maybe you should go join pattaya addicts :)

Show me. :D

Sorry Dmax but have to agree with the birdman. The guy spent a month on Samui and all he has to say is the bars in Lamai all sell their beer at the same price and the bar owners wives / GF are great. A real great insight for a month on Samui! And considering where he spent his month is it any wonder he was told tales of BIG MAFIA ? No doubt he also met lots of ex SAS, Delta force, MI5 /6 CIA and professional hitmen in the very same bars ? :D Unless of course they only drink in Bangrak :D

Another big YAWN. And if posting a big YAWN is flaming ROO take me away " Its a fair cop " :D

Now you forgot Navy Seals. :)

Sorry Dmax but have to agree with the birdman. The guy spent a month on Samui and all he has to say is the bars in Lamai all sell their beer at the same price and the bar owners wives / GF are great. A real great insight for a month on Samui! And considering where he spent his month is it any wonder he was told tales of BIG MAFIA ? No doubt he also met lots of ex SAS, Delta force, MI5 /6 CIA and professional hitmen in the very same bars ? :D Unless of course they only drink in Bangrak :D

Now you forgot Navy Seals. :)

Not to mention beavers :D

A bit of a dry argument ongoing :) Not that silly you know.Now since you decide to discuss moderation in public, let that be a warning , that it will be your last time.

Trolling is against forum rules.

lamai long-term expats do tend to claim ownership of the area - nice enough people in general but the clique thing is something lamai could do without.

it's not in your face but it is noticeable if you spend alot of time there.

funny thing is, alot of them can barely speak a word of thai and think by drinking 15 bottles of singha a day they are partaking in the thai culture.

lamai long-term expats do tend to claim ownership of the area - nice enough people in general but the clique thing is something lamai could do without.

it's not in your face but it is noticeable if you spend alot of time there.

funny thing is, alot of them can barely speak a word of thai and think by drinking 15 bottles of singha a day they are partaking in the thai culture.

I don't think people vusut Lamai for its cultural appeal. The beach is still lovely though. :)

you will find it all over thailand they know big police, know big iimigration, genearally means they no nobody, or they are just out of the SAS is a good one. i have seen many a bar owners wife girlfirend nip off for short time when he is not around, when they do there visa runs way hay. should they go back to country for a while they can be the busiest girl in the bar. some times it rely gripes as the guy is a mate and you see his mises hoaring araound. you can take the girl out the bar but never the bar out of the girl. having said that some of the cops are ok, one i know quite well gave me his number and said any time you have problem call me. twice i did and twice there was a cop there in minutes. no tea money either. a lot of people on here will know him he plays in local pool league

Ban Rak is better type of ex pat but you may tend to get i own this i made this much money today etc, which usually means they are on the way out, Lynx, sabai properties being to good examples.

Its an interesting point..i recall going to a well known Irish Bar on Samui to watch a premiership game, and getting in to a discussion with a longtime expat, who claimed he was the British soldier that raised the union jack above Port Stanley in The Falklands conflict, and had lost 2 of his brothers on the Sir Galahad after it was hit by an exocet missile...a quite remarkable claim..he gave me his business card, i of course checked the facts off the internet, and of course, none of his story held up.. I do think the 'Too much sun' diagnosis is a good shout :)

Its an interesting point..i recall going to a well known Irish Bar on Samui to watch a premiership game, and getting in to a discussion with a longtime expat, who claimed he was the British soldier that raised the union jack above Port Stanley in The Falklands conflict, and had lost 2 of his brothers on the Sir Galahad after it was hit by an exocet missile...a quite remarkable claim..he gave me his business card, i of course checked the facts off the internet, and of course, none of his story held up.. I do think the 'Too much sun' diagnosis is a good shout :)

Sir Galahad was bombed by A 4 skyhawk, not exocet Brithish army incompetence at its best leave ship full of troops in small bay in broad day light for hours on end. jerks like that really annoy me,a few weeks ago one idiot told me he was ex SAS and started to have a go, i just walked away. little did he know many eyes were upon him itching to drop a bottle over his head.