What To Do When The Relationship Becomes Platonic?

ThailandLovr

Your relationship with your girlfriend has been very good to excellent for more than two years, but has turned platonic for the past six months. She had been a great girlfriend, taking the best possible care of you in the most attentive manner, and 100% loyal. You want a romantic relationship again, but can't handle the thought of leaving your gf devastated emotionally and without means of support (except with the help of her already poor or financially stretched family). You now love her more like a sister than the girlfriend she was in the beginning. You don't have the financial means to support the two of you living separately. She has a paid for home which she had prior to meeting you, but no means of income other than a few baht for part time work. Get a mia noi? Never done anything like that before. What would you do? Assume the gf is 49 y/o, previously a widow, uneducated.

Edited by ThailandLovr

To cut to the quick, are you saying you don't fancier her anymore?

Does she still fancy you?

If you are the softie you claim to be, the answer is be a long suffering partner because the pain of anything else is too much.

If you can man up to feeling a little pain, tell her you love her deeply and like a sister but you want to go get your freak on with some crumpet. If she loves you back she might understand and accept it.

Of course there is always the chance she might react badly, but Thailand has an excellent rep for re-attachment surgery.

Alternatively, just break up with her. If you want to give her a little going away money to help her in this transition, it might help but you want something else now so tell her. If she is as lovely as you she will be understanding and gracious. I suspect at 49 its not the first relationship that has come to an end for her... Losing a boyfriend is probably not as big a blow as hubby dying.

Always look on bright side of life...

To cut to the quick, are you saying you don't fancier her anymore?

Does she still fancy you?

If you are the softie you claim to be, the answer is be a long suffering partner because the pain of anything else is too much.

If you can man up to feeling a little pain, tell her you love her deeply and like a sister but you want to go get your freak on with some crumpet. If she loves you back she might understand and accept it.

Of course there is always the chance she might react badly, but Thailand has an excellent rep for re-attachment surgery.

Alternatively, just break up with her. If you want to give her a little going away money to help her in this transition, it might help but you want something else now so tell her. If she is as lovely as you she will be understanding and gracious. I suspect at 49 its not the first relationship that has come to an end for her... Losing a boyfriend is probably not as big a blow as hubby dying.

Always look on bright side of life...

She still fancies me, but as stated, my feelings are more like love for a sister now. We get along very well still, enjoy each other's company, but beyond that the rocking the bed days are over.

Not all are idiots and it might help some other guys.

I personally think platonic relationships with THai women are as good as it gets. I have two friends I have been GOOD friends with for 2 years plus (takes a while to be a GOOD friend). I think "boffing" them would just ruin it. Either way I am not going to take the risk. Friendship is a valuable gift.

6 months is an awful long time to be in a 'Platonic" relationship , Can we assume you aren't getting any ? .

I'm often told its about Sex; Its always about Sex. I don't know... I couldn't go a couple of weeks without it impacting my relationship .

Romance I can live without.

It should work both ways though, maybe she feels the same way.

What would you do in your own country ? Its your Life, I'm often told you only get one Lifetime. .... I don't know the answer to that either.

6 months is an awful long time to be in a 'Platonic" relationship , Can we assume you aren't getting any ? .

I'm often told its about Sex; Its always about Sex. I don't know... I couldn't go a couple of weeks without it impacting my relationship .

<snip>

I could "get it" if I wanted to, but the relationship became sister-like from my perspective and therefore feelings of lust are (unfortunately) no longer there.

lazygourmet...you may have a point but I sure hate to go there unless I can no longer resist.

Not sure I've quite grasped your problem here. If SHE doesn't want to play bedroom Olympics and you do, then maybe you should ask her (nicely!) what the problem is.

If it's YOU that's lost interest in HER body, and now want an alternative bedwarmer, then it's time you thought VERY SERIOUSLY about how much this could hurt your girlfriend. You say you love her, but like a sister. Would you want to inflict a load of emotional grief on a real sister?

She's a real live human being, not a car to be traded in after a couple of years.