Racism, Paranoia Or Tit

NALAK

i went to check out some new beaches in Sattahip today, as we got there sore a big sign in Thai and ENGLISH showing the way to 2 beaches, so i turned in knowing it was military area, but so are most of the beaches there. cars ahead were getting waved through and saluted, as i approached window down they looked in horrer to see foreiner in car. came running over waving hands no foreiner here u turn go back, erm sign down road is in English why, what can the Thais see i cannot, what can guys from Yala Pattini etc see that i cant. might i see a navy ship in the distance. so to next beach every thing same had signs pointing to a beach again no foreiner u turn. anyway we found one beuatiful as good i have seen any where and yes we had to go through army check point. but at the time i was enraged inside at what to me is blatent racism, but then after i thought TIT amongst other things

Edited by NALAK

A few years ago our car had a sticker in the window that we got from my wifes cousin in the army in Kanchananburi, any time we went to the beach at Satthahip - waved through no problem, however, after some of the Gulf activity - Saddam and all that <deleted>, even with the military sticker on the window of the car we, or more correctly I, was refused entry but the locals can still enter, dont know how good or bad the guards english was but the reason i was given was because i was white??

Purely a security issue i think.

Edited by LennyW

Your post is a little hard to understand (are you a native speaker?), but maybe those Thai's in cars were military personal / staff and had access to be in a restricted area whereas you didn't.

ok clearer the sign was in English hence one would think english people could go in why put a road sign in English to beaches if forieners cannot go. maybe they told my Thai wife she could go in with her ID card. i thought no forieners was clear enough.

"so i turned in knowing it was military area", ... no need to look for another answer.

read the post the beach we ended up on was a miltary beach, as usual on the forum full of sarcasim b4 reading thread properly.

The reason I asked if you are a native English speaker is because your post is unclear. If you are a native English speaker then you should make more effort to be clear, if not then you should be more patient with those who don't understand you clearly

Edited by Moonrakers

"so i turned in knowing it was military area", ... no need to look for another answer.

read the post the beach we ended up on was a miltary beach, as usual on the forum full of sarcasim b4 reading thread properly.

The reason I asked if you are a native English speaker is because your post is unclear. If you are a native English speaker then you should make more effort to be clear, if not then you should be more patient with those who don't understand you clearly

whats not clear about this statement????

anyway we found one beuatiful as good i have seen any where and yes we had to go through army check point.

whats not clear about this statement????

anyway we found one beuatiful as good i have seen any where and yes we had to go through army check point.

Been on most of those beaches over the years and never had problem, could the issue be to do with the fact that the Cobra Gold boys are in, therefore heightened security ??....

I took my mum and dad down that way for a day out when they was over on holiday. We was also turned around for being foreigners at the Naval base. My mum said "I respect that, it's a blimming shame our country isn't the same" she's British born and bred.

Edited by 101734

The OP is clearly not going to be satisfied with the obvious answers which have been pointed out to him by several posters. Will someone therefore please invent an answer that satisfies his desire to confirm he was discriminated against on the basis of him not being a Thai.

anyway the one we ended upon was just passed u ta pao airport no development apart from food places, walk out as far as you can and still see the bottom, go through the navy check point pay 20 baht and your in. ironickly i did not see any signs in english. still bemused why they put up big roads signs in English directing people to 2 beaches then deny access. in reverse its like putting a sign in thai in England then when Thais go say sorry no foreiners. anyway after 13 years put it down to TIT. thanks for sensible replies will go back and ask is it just for a short period or permenant.

The OP is clearly not going to be satisfied with the obvious answers which have been pointed out to him by several posters. Will someone therefore please invent an answer that satisfies his desire to confirm he was discriminated against on the basis of him not being a Thai.

as a friend of mine said when you read some of the posts chill, remember a lot of the people on here, not here in Thailand but at home in the winter counting down the days to there next 2 weeks in Thailand. if you have never been charged more for something than a Thai purley because you a a farang well your a lucky chappie. thanks to you all now i remember why i dont start new topics, and why i think the mods are heros for having to read through all this.

Bye

p.s if mod reading can you close thread

anyway the one we ended upon was just passed u ta pao airport no development apart from food places, walk out as far as you can and still see the bottom, go through the navy check point pay 20 baht and your in. ironickly i did not see any signs in english. still bemused why they put up big roads signs in English directing people to 2 beaches then deny access. in reverse its like putting a sign in thai in England then when Thais go say sorry no foreiners. anyway after 13 years put it down to TIT. thanks for sensible replies will go back and ask is it just for a short period or permenant.

I have feeling you have mis-interpreted the whole sign thing, could the signs been put in place in English for the benefit of the Cobra Gold mob indentifying the beaches, as the US military boys where not permitted in these areas by their Co's ??....seeing you turning up with a Thai national, the barrier technican assumed you where US Military with a take away from a local bar and prevented you access ??.

Going to cite Occams Razor here....generally the simplest explanation is the correct one...

Foreign is not a race so it can't be racism.

Well done clever clogs.. it's still discrimination though

Totster :D

If it is reasonable, is it still discrimination?  :)

I don't know for sure, but discrimination based on nationality has taken place right ? Reasonable or not.

Totster :D

Which countries do you know of that allow unrestricted access to military areas?

It may be similar to the Wing 41 road in Chiang Mai, a VERY convenient road that however goes straight through the airforce base. Thais and foreigners alike can use it BUT you need to apply for a special tag and put this on your windshield. No tag, no entry.

Which countries do you know of that allow unrestricted access to military areas?

It may be similar to the Wing 41 road in Chiang Mai, a VERY convenient road that however goes straight through the airforce base. Thais and foreigners alike can use it BUT you need to apply for a special tag and put this on your windshield. No tag, no entry.

You're wrong on this one. Completely. Any Thai can go. Any foreigner can't. The Thais are not screened. Clearly, there are no military secrets there. Simple xenophobia. It isn't nice.

Well, In the UK no one is allowed access to a military area (apart from those that need to be there), or everyone is. There is no checkpoint checking your British passport, or turning away those that did not look British AFAIK

However if this area is for use by members of the military only, and that is signposted...

However, that was not what I was commenting on, the Thai Military have the right to do whatever they want with their installations/areas - I don't care.

totster :)

Edited by Totster

Agreed, even going to U-tapo in a private car you need to leave your DL at the barrier and get a tag, and you can drive up and down that road even as an expat and this is a Military airbase........ unaccompanied,

So far as I am concerned this issue has nothing to do with xenophobia/Racism etc etc....most likely a case of increased security for some reason...

Agreed, even going to U-tapo in a private car you need to leave your DL at the barrier and get a tag, and you can drive up and down that road even as an expat and this is a Military airbase........ unaccompanied,

So far as I am concerned this issue has nothing to do with xenophobia/Racism etc etc....most likely a case of increased security for some reason...

And I agree totally.

Why spend any time worrying about double standards? Certainly there is racism, paranoia and discrimination in Thailand. So what? Just get on with life and go to one of the hundreds of places where you ARE welcome. I'm from Canada which is SUPPOSED to be one of the friendliest and non-discrimitory countries in the world, but I STILL see evidence of it in many places. And, most often it comes from non-native born Canadians. Even those that scream the loudest about being discriminated upon are often the ones doing the most discriminating.

Wanted to take a look at the aircraft carrier once, but all my arguments did not convince the soldiers at the pier. I also showed them both Thai driving licences. :D

So I waited until wife and daughter came back from the sightseeing. :)

Edited by Birdman

It is needless, irrational discrimination. It is one thing being accepting of the situation here. It is yet another to INTERNALIZE the more unpleasant aspects of Thai xenophobia to the point of rationalizing and supporting it. If I ever get to that point, I think it will be time to leave this country.

Ok, so you leave your DL and you can drive the road.. even as an expat/foreigner..

But how about if everyone else could do this.. but not you, because you are a foreigner.. as the OP has experienced, would your post be the same ?

totster :)