Any Thai Dishes You Cant Quite Recreate At Home?

ozzieovaseas

Hi there all..

I mainly have good experiences in making my favourite Thai dishes in Australia but the only thing thats got me stumped is the slow cooked beef and noodles in that really nice dark coloured stock.

I think its called Khuay-tiew Nur toon??

I asked a Thai friend how they get that distinct but subtle taste and she says she always understood the differance was from the use of conjealed pigs blood..which ive never seen available anywhere, let alone here in Oz.

Anyway going from my tastebuds I would have thought the stock base originates from a mild star anise/ five spice taste, and id imagine onion cooked until nearly black would add to the dark colour of the stock?

I thought id use beef rib on the bone and slow cook these in the beef stock with all the other essentials..chilli paste in oil,garlic,galangal,green chilli,coriander, white pepper, and maybe a little standard curry powder

maybe add a thick dark soy at some stage and finish with the usual basil leaves with dash of sugar, fish sauce and chilli/vinegar..

Ive tried different variations on this theme and never been able to get that authentic distinct taste...even my Thai international student friends over here havent been able to get it right.

Anyone got any ideas?

The Thai friends say its a secret and only the vendors know how to do it :)

Edited by ozzieovaseas

• 2 weeks later...

Its true that for some dishes buying it ready made save a lot of the hassle... the beef stew is one of them. good vendors will use up to 5 or 6 different cuts of beef to give different textures to the dish. I have a good recipe I an i will create a tutorial on thaifoodmaster.com soonish,

stay tuned