Macbook Pro Logic Board Repair

PETDCAT

My 17" Macbook pro has a bad logic board. I went to Mac zone in Chiang Mai and was quoted 24,540 for the repair. Since I don't have apple care I will be paying out of pocket and I don't find this cost effective.

Does anyone know of any shops doing component level troubleshooting on Macs?

Thanks

Bill

Even if someone can troubleshoot at component level and has the skill to replace the part with soldering iron how do you go about sourcing the part? I've paid close to 30,000 baht when I replaced the logic board of my PowerBook years ago. I'd say save that money for a new MBP.

another option is to find a used logic board on Ebay. Just be careful to get the exact board or one very compatible. The downside of this is of course your new used board could fail but a heck of a lot cheaper than paying new retail.

The main CM apple shop will install it for you for a reasonable price.

I needed to replace my MBP fans and speakers and bought used ones on Ebay and they installed them well for 250 baht.

Otherwise saving for a new one is a good idea and you can part out your old machine and sell them on Ebay.

In my opinion, quality in Mac Computers has dropped to almost normal Pee Cee failure rates in recent years as Apple has been forced to use (the usual Pee Cee) cheaper components to get their computer prices down to that approaching pee cee prices. I use a lot of Macs in my work and I now buy AppleCare for all our new Macs. Although I haven't analyzed it carefully, I think I'm using AppleCare for warranty needed repairs in about half of the machines approximately.

The good side of the way Apple manages repairs is that often when you bring in a machine needing repair, they will simply switch out the motherboard or other major component which contains the problem part and you end up with an almost like-new machine. So if in your case if you had AppleCare and you took your 17" MacBook Pro into the service center at Panthip, they would probably swap in a new motherboard and you would have your machine back within a few days. So probably in hindsight, AppleCare would have been a bargain for you.

For myself I'd prefer that Apple had kept the higher machine prices if they would use premium components like in the past.

I recommend AppleCare.

• Like 1

• 10 years later...

2020 update - I am at the moment trying to find a apple tech shop, that will refurbish parts for Mac Pro 6.1 (2013) A1481. Needed to refurbish Logic Boards, D300 GPU and CPU Riser card.

On 10/13/2020 at 3:16 AM, roskruge said:

2020 update - I am at the moment trying to find a apple tech shop, that will refurbish parts for Mac Pro 6.1 (2013) A1481. Needed to refurbish Logic Boards, D300 GPU and CPU Riser card.

http://www.machomeservice.com

You have nothing to lose by calling this guy, his English isn’t great but he’s used to dealing with us.  Try using LINe. For me he has the mark of a true pro - he isnt afraid to give you a rough price without seeing your kit, whereas a lot of other Mac repairers will ask you to drop it in and spend 3 days deliberating before giving you an uneconomical repair bill.