UK Pound Collapse 47.99 against the Baht

cavelight

Because it's money that was designed to be spent creating wealth in UK and not going out the country in such a marked and permanent manner.

The last time I looked the freedoms gained, partly through being on the side of 'right' in 2 World Wars, allowed ME to spend MY money wherever I choose.

Oh shut up!, I won't report your post but I dare say others might.

Did you read Tigs post just before yours about where the wealth of the UK service industries is going to?

Yes spend your money where you want just be aware that it aint doing Blighty any good that's for sure. Your choice as you say.

I agree with both Bagwan and Chaimai because like them I have also done my bit for Queen and country at a time when Queen and country meant something.

It gives me the right to spend my money and not the governments money in a manner of my choosing where, how and when I want to spend it.

I don't remember anything in English law that says money I earn over the years has to be spent in the UK and if you can find anything written down in the laws of the UK that states that then please quote chapter and verse and I will then consider what to do with my money that I pay income tax on and have earned through 50 years of working.

Oh shut up!, I won't report your post but I dare say others might. quote

Why should people shut up because you don't like what they say.

Possibly you should do the same.

You make an assumption that all OAPs living in Thailand will return to the UK for medical treatment for free and come back here.

Is there a reason why they should not as the money spent on their treatment will stay in the UK?

If you have all of these problems why don't you go to the UK and stand in the parliamentary election coming soon and do something about it?

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's just the concern that money is flowing out the UK in such a marked manner. Modern economies rely on money flowing around internally, especially UK at the moment. It's got nothing to do if someone has faught in a war or not, or interfering with fundamental rights.

But secondary to that, I don't think people quite understand the scale of what has to happen in the future to readdress big financial problems in UK, nor have taken on board the fact that they may not have been as productive financially as they might think.

I just see things as they are, eg, one glaring inequity is all of us expats to a man do not actually qualify for free NHS treatment anymore, now that's deplorable, and how many who have argued with me will get caught up in this trap, because they did not see my warning but rather chose to argue with me on one quite trivial point.

Clearly you old soldiers really don't know how to pick your battles wisely! Get real will you! and don't make me out to look like a pariah for simply talking a bit of sense.

In no way is this a smug comment or whatever, but for my solution I,ve taken the following stop gap re withdrawing / changing / transfering funds

The baht I got at a time when it came out as at 75 to the pound sterling, instead of leaving them untouched as I usually do. I,m utilising them and topping up additonal funds needed for my next visit back home.

Instead of using my Nationwide Direct Debit card to provide addition funds as I usually do, I,m keeping my Uk funds where they are until the rates go back up a bit.

I have a few weeks before it needs topping up to 800K so I have bit of time to play with.

Eiher way re up or down, it,s no problem as 75 against what it is now equates to ( as and when I time it ) a win win situation.

I only need a bit anyway to re establish the magic 3 month qualifying sum and deposit period.

Only posted and shared in case it may offer an alternative stop gap for anyone in a similar position.

Good luck, whatever your own personal circumstances may be, especially those who are finding it a difficult period.

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

For me it's just the concern that money is flowing out the UK in such a marked manner. Modern economies rely on money flowing around internally, especially UK at the moment. It's got nothing to do if someone has faught in a war or not, or interfering with fundamental rights.

That may well be the case but also you must also factor into the debate that the UK is awash with workers from overseas, some legal and some not, some paying taxes and some not, many if not most are only in the UK to send money to their families in their own countries, though some are happy to make their new home the UK and will benefit the economy, though there are many "native Brits" suffering from the influx of foreign workers, maybe some of the affected are too lazy to work, but not all.

The UK spends more than seven billion pounds a year on overseas aid, now whilst I am not suggesting for one moment that this is cut I wonder how it compares to the cost of paying pensioners the pensions they have worked all their working life to receive.

All I am really saying is give the pensioners a break.

Collapse my arse, OK not great if you need to buy baht now but it's only a 9 month low against US$...

dailymail readers, all of you :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1...-1-20-rate.html

(from 23rd January)

Yes unfortunately the Daily Mail has descended to a middle class version of the Sun,doom and gloom every day.No doubt GBR is being partially talked down,with an election looming,hence the exchange rate is strong for the Baht.

I wish to assure all posters and readers that in the event of being struck by serious illness I shall retire to Bumrungrad and let them deal with it. It will be probably be a dam_n sight cheaper than flying back to the UK and paying AGAIN for any treatment afforded me.

Ever hear of the NHS Catch 22? In my early thirties I suffered quite severe chest pains and it was diagnosed as an hiatus hernia. The surgeon told me to lose weight as if I didn't, the problem would recur after he sewed me up. 6 weeks later and 2 stones lighter I met the surgeon again and told him I was feeling great. Off you go then he said. But what about my operation I asked? You don't need one now he countered. The problem will probably return in your 60's or 70's he added. It immediately dawned on me - Catch 22. You've got it, he said. You'll be too old to spend valuable resources on. The corollary being that even if I returned home for treatment for a complaint, it is likely that I should be turned away.

I venture that the money I spend in Thailand does more to foster relations between the UK and Thailand than the millions spent by Embassy and Consulate staff wining and dining a bunch of Thailand's Hi-Sos. Most of the people in my village up country are now aware of the UK, some even know roughly where it is and a very small percentage actually believe me when I tell them we have an honest police force and practice free speech.

For this very insignificant subject matter to have reached the dizzying heights of 12 pages in such a short time, this must be driven by what the Aussie's call 'wingeing poms'...

Now we know what country they live in AND their online forum of choice.

Isn't a pom just English people - I'm Scottish and never get called a pom when visiting OZ? I can't understand people posting in threads they find insignificant - the only real reason would be that they feel inferior in some way.

Yup, poms are English and winge about having one of the most unstable currencies; couldn't shut the buggers up a couple of years back when they were getting 20% more than they are now. You on the other hand are a canny Scot. So what's your point?

That may well be the case but also you must also factor into the debate that the UK is awash with workers from overseas, some legal and some not, some paying taxes and some not, many if not most are only in the UK to send money to their families in their own countries, though some are happy to make their new home the UK and will benefit the economy, though there are many "native Brits" suffering from the influx of foreign workers, maybe some of the affected are too lazy to work, but not all.

The UK spends more than seven billion pounds a year on overseas aid, now whilst I am not suggesting for one moment that this is cut I wonder how it compares to the cost of paying pensioners the pensions they have worked all their working life to receive.

All I am really saying is give the pensioners a break.

Look mate! good luck to you! and what I would want done to those feeding off UK is unprintable. And personally, I'd cut that budget for overseas aid to a tenner, or get the Aussies to foot the bill, after all they are so full of themselves :) , but look at what I saidd as it stands.

For this very insignificant subject matter to have reached the dizzying heights of 12 pages in such a short time, this must be driven by what the Aussie's call 'wingeing poms'...

Isn't a pom just English people - I'm Scottish and never get called a pom when visiting OZ? I can't understand people posting in threads they find insignificant - the only real reason would be that they feel inferior in some way.

Yup, poms are English and winge about having one of the most unstable currencies; couldn't shut the buggers up a couple of years back when they were getting 20% more than they are now. You on the other hand are a canny Scot. So what's your point?

Hey Skippy, why don't you go stick yer boomerang where the sun don't shine, do it sideways should be plent of room!

Clearly you old soldiers really don't know how to pick your battles wisely! Get real will you! and don't make me out to look like a pariah for simply talking a bit of sense.

You are a Pariah, sir.

WHY? TWXT

Ooooh!

The Internet Warrior flames again.

(I thought you were leaving "this shitty site" in December :) )

Edited by Chaimai

Hey Skippy, why don't you go stick yer boomerang where the sun don't shine, do it sideways should be plent of room!

But mommysboy... they don't use boomerangs in Scotland either (but you knew this already of course).

Please try and keep up. You are beginning to look (even more) inferior.

Mommysboy

I would be very grateful if you would go back and do me the service of reading my post to you on page 12, and then answer my points. My £1000 that I take out every month IS NOT the governments money, do you understand that? It is money that I have been paying in to a fund via my salary every working month of my life. Non of my money that I am paid is the governments money, it is my money, and contrary to what you believe, the government actually made lots of money oin interest off my pension savings!! The reason the country is now in the shit is that the government miscaculated with how to invest all the pension money, and they thought, just like any pyramid scheme, just take the money and pay it back with other peoples money later. Sadly there are now lots of people, but also lots of people who do not earn money, they sponge money. Are you getting it? My money is not a drain on UK resources, it is my money! Full stop! Read my previous mail and think about it! I will give you another chance.

Mommysboy

I would be very grateful if you would go back and do me the service of reading my post to you on page 12, and then answer my points. My £1000 that I take out every month IS NOT the governments money, do you understand that? It is money that I have been paying in to a fund via my salary every working month of my life. Non of my money that I am paid is the governments money, it is my money, and contrary to what you believe, the government actually made lots of money oin interest off my pension savings!! The reason the country is now in the shit is that the government miscaculated with how to invest all the pension money, and they thought, just like any pyramid scheme, just take the money and pay it back with other peoples money later. Sadly there are now lots of people, but also lots of people who do not earn money, they sponge money. Are you getting it? My money is not a drain on UK resources, it is my money! Full stop! Read my previous mail and think about it! I will give you another chance.

Tigs - don't waste your time on him. He is only trolling and I suspect that this topic will have less than an hour to run :)

Tsk tsk, play nicely now MMB and don't go upsetting the neighbours. :D

Who me :)

:D

Also what do you mean?? I have not upset one single Cambodian as far as I am aware. :D

True, but you seem to have alienated half of the UK ex-pat population, not your usual style, you usually manage to get them all in one sitting, you must slipping!

Tsk tsk, play nicely now MMB and don't go upsetting the neighbours. :D

Who me :)

:D

Also what do you mean?? I have not upset one single Cambodian as far as I am aware. :D

True, but you seem to have alienated half of the UK ex-pat population, not your usual style, you usually manage to get them all in one sitting, you must slipping!

Do I care? No. I am a real patriot. I really want a strong UK .

I share the reservations of earlier posters about the changes that have restricted access to NHS care for citizens returning from abroad. I wonder though in practice how easy it is to exclude a returning Brit who plays his/her cards cannily.

The current NHS guidance says:

You can receive free NHS hospital treatment if you:-

- have been living legally in the UK for at least 12 months when you seek treatment, and did not come to the UK for private medical treatment. Temporary absences from the UK of up to three months are ignored

- have come to the UK to take up permanent residence, for example, if you are a former UK resident who has returned from abroad, or if you have been granted leave to enter or remain as a spouse[/b]

(other criteria omitted)

See: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_f...from_abroad.htm

So if you maintain that you intend to take up residency and can back this up with an address, I would say you are quite a way down the path. The problem may be that this will affect some people's tax status and make things very difficult, but that would be less of an issue for an older person who had returned after falling on hard times.

Furthermore British GPs have discretion to register overseas visitors for primary care services. It seems to me that, once registered with a GP, a returning expat would again be quite a way towards getting back inside the safety net. Getting registered is done locally at the GP surgery, so you probably have more than one chance (especially with the new system in England that will enable patients to register with any GP regardless of address).

I accept that the overall position is still tricky and to me unfair, but people in distress shouldn't slit their wrists without testing the water. In my experience there is still a strong public service ethic in the NHS that will lead a lot of staff to be sympathetic to returning Brits in trouble.

I share the reservations of earlier posters about the changes that have restricted access to NHS care for citizens returning from abroad. I wonder though in practice how easy it is to exclude a returning Brit who plays his/her cards cannily.

- have been living legally in the UK for at least 12 months when you seek treatment, and did not come to the UK for private medical treatment. Temporary absences from the UK of up to three months are ignored

- have come to the UK to take up permanent residence, for example, if you are a former UK resident who has returned from abroad, or if you have been granted leave to enter or remain as a spouse[/b]

(other criteria omitted)

See: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_f...from_abroad.htm

So if you maintain that you intend to take up residency and can back this up with an address, I would say you are quite a way down the path. The problem may be that this will affect some people's tax status and make things very difficult, but that would be less of an issue for an older person who had returned after falling on hard times.

Furthermore British GPs have discretion to register overseas visitors for primary care services. It seems to me that, once registered with a GP, a returning expat would again be quite a way towards getting back inside the safety net. Getting registered is done locally at the GP surgery, so you probably have more than one chance (especially with the new system in England that will enable patients to register with any GP regardless of address).

I accept that the overall position is still tricky and to me unfair, but people in distress shouldn't slit their wrists without testing the water. In my experience there is still a strong public service ethic in the NHS that will lead a lot of staff to be sympathetic to returning Brits in trouble.

Charging for treatment can happen. There was a quite famous case a couple of years ago, when an OAP got ill in Turkey and had to be flown back to Blighty. Obviously, there was no hiding it and she had to pick up the tab, or was at least billed.

If they don't know don't tell em! And Bagwan could be in for a terriblre shock. this guy really needs to take a rain check.

Officially, if you've lived outside the country more than 6 months, you do not qualify for treatment, although I'm not sure if that applies to people still demonstrably paying tax in UK.

The key word being "current."

I would lay a dollar against a dime that the original NHS legislation was not originally written as such. This is a phenomenon called the law of unintended consequences. The government formed NHS to provide equal healthcare to everyone. Then they found out that not only does the bureacracy produce a substandard product, it also cannot sustain the original promises. So the only choice to start cutting out the very people the original law was intended to help.

I worked and paid taxes in the UK for several years and had an NHS number. It is a substandard program with substandard service. Having seen the boondoggle that was the NHS new computer system program, it's no wonder that the organization is in the state that it is. The NHS is the largest single employer in all of Europe and the third largest in the world. When a government controls that much of a country's infrastructure, there will be problems. The problem in this case is that the citizens serve to feed the insatiable government bureacracy, rather than the bureacracy serving the citizens. Eventually the bureacracy becomes unsustainable and people start getting screwed.

I think the government's refusal to provide service to expats returning from Thailand is criminal. You see, the law was originally intended for UK CITIZENS. Now the wording is all in reference to RESIDENTS. For a nation to classify its citizens in terms of residents and non-residents and refuse to provide services that were promised, well it's just criminal.

Can someone please explain what the NHS an hospital treatment, entiltlement to pensions has to do with the title of this topic?

You expect the odd off topic post, but this thread has been hijacked!

Not hijacked, just drifted - from how the exchange rate may make it difficult for Brits on a fixed income (pension) to stay in Thailand, then to the problems they may face on return to UK. These problems include access to NHS etc.

J.

The key word being "current."

I would lay a dollar against a dime that the original NHS legislation was not originally written as such. This is a phenomenon called the law of unintended consequences. The government formed NHS to provide equal healthcare to everyone. Then they found out that not only does the bureacracy produce a substandard product, it also cannot sustain the original promises. So the only choice to start cutting out the very people the original law was intended to help.

Probably won’t interest many, but the original Act was not very precise regarding citizenship versus residency. The introduction to the Act stated, “The NHS Act 1946 provides a complete and medical service free of charge at the time it is required for every citizen.” But the wording of the key provision was as follows:

It shall be the duty of the Minister of Health (...) to promote the establishment in England and Wales of a comprehensive health service designed to secure improvement in the physical and mental health of the people of England and Wales and the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of illness...

(National Health Service Act 1946, s1(1). (N.B. Scotland and N.Ireland were dealt with in separate Acts).

In practice the Act was interpreted as covering the entire population, and people who were not citizens were treated without charge. So I suppose that what you say is right on that point.

The latest 2006 legislation uses similar wording for the general provisions.

(1) The Secretary of State must continue the promotion in England of a comprehensive health service designed to secure improvement—

(a) in the physical and mental health of the people of England, and

(:) in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of illness.

(...)

But this Act also contains the following section:

175 Charges in respect of non-residents

(1) Regulations may provide for the making and recovery, in such manner as may be prescribed, of such charges as the Secretary of State may determine in respect of the services mentioned in subsection (2).

(2) The services are such services as may be prescribed which are—

(a) provided under this Act, and

(:D provided in respect of such persons not ordinarily resident in Great Britain as may be prescribed.

(3) Regulations under this section may provide that the charges may be made only in such cases as may be determined in accordance with the regulations.

(4) The Secretary of State may calculate charges under this section on any basis that he considers to be the appropriate commercial basis.

National Health Service Act, 2006, s 175

What terms such as ordinarily resident means is explained here.

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/resea.../snsp-03051.pdf

Some of us Brits quite like the NHS, warts and all, and would not agree with your assessment that it is substandard (given its modest cost). We look at things like life expectancy and infant mortality and notice that these indicators are better for the UK than for the USA.