Why Is It Called 'the Dark Side'

laura1c

.... when it comes in terms of pattaya,

we are thinking of slow internet and low infrastructure.

the dark side of the black planet :)

I think that a certain amount of "patience" is required for living anywhere in Thailand -- things here move more slowly and are less reliable than in the west (and the cost/price reflects that). Friends in Bangkok tell me of slow internet and internet problems during the heavy rain seasons. And while the lack of infrastructure may have been a problem in the past, that problem (at least on a relative scale) has been largely remedied and will, I believe, continue to improve over the coming few years. If you like peace and quiet, yet reasonable proximity to the "madness" of the Bright Side, then the "Right Side" is by far the better choice. If there children involved in the decision, then the Right Side is, I think, the only choice. When I see people say that Jomtien is a more "family oriented place", I am in shock. No one could reasonably describe Pattaya (including Jomtien) as "family oriented" -- just look around. Except for the beach front, which will always be seen as "permium" living, within 5 years the Right Side will be generally viewed as the best place to live in the greater Pattaya area--it is certainly moving in that direction.

hahaha. like Ice Cube says... "if you've never been the ghetto, don't come to the ghetto, because you wouldn't understand the ghetto".

anyway, thanks for staying away and please, do NOT drive your motorbike up here as we have lost over 10,000 good expats who dared to do the same. people are dying left and right over here! save yourself!!!

There's a few good Brits over here, some nice Germans, met some really great Danish guys,

For a family, it is best to live in one of the secure communities that have houses and bungalows to rent...there seems to be over 20 of these guarded farang communities in the "dark side" since land is cheaper there. On these compounds, you can easily walk around and use the community pool and such. With a 15month old, you and your husband could rent an apartment in Jomtien or Naklua and have a beautiful sea view for a few months while you are looking for the right house to live in. Even without the go-go bars and ladies of the night in your face in Pattaya, the sidewalks are not made for pedestrians...only for vendors, telephone booths, electric poles, and sleeping dogs. And then there is the speeding cars, coach busses, and motorbikes that are free to go as fast as they want. So the untamed, unplanned Pattaya City is difficult to just walk around in with a baby in a stroller. Then when the children get older, where will they play? EAst Pattaya will be fine for you but do your research once you arrive.

• Like 1

For a family, it is best to live in one of the secure communities that have houses and bungalows to rent...there seems to be over 20 of these guarded farang communities in the "dark side" since land is cheaper there. On these compounds, you can easily walk around and use the community pool and such. With a 15month old, you and your husband could rent an apartment in Jomtien or Naklua and have a beautiful sea view for a few months while you are looking for the right house to live in. Even without the go-go bars and ladies of the night in your face in Pattaya, the sidewalks are not made for pedestrians...only for vendors, telephone booths, electric poles, and sleeping dogs. And then there is the speeding cars, coach busses, and motorbikes that are free to go as fast as they want. So the untamed, unplanned Pattaya City is difficult to just walk around in with a baby in a stroller. Then when the children get older, where will they play? EAst Pattaya will be fine for you but do your research once you arrive.

I think you will find there is over 200, yes 200 guarded communities/moo baans/villages or whatever you want to call them over this side, as well as many many lovely individual houses and villas. Plenty of choice to suit any type of family and any budget.

• Like 1

I download at 1.4MB/s here on the "darkside" .......Plenty fast enough for what I do.
as we all know - Dark side of the moon - Pink Floyd,

when it comes in terms of pattaya,

we are thinking of slow internet and low infrastructure.

the dark side of the black planet :)

http://www.blackplanetcitizen.com

Where I used to live, on the Pong side, I had a faster Maxnet connection through TT&T than I have been able to obtain here in Pattaya through TOT. The key is to get a land-line. If not, the second best choice is one of the cable TV providers.

If money is no object, then you have IPStar, or at the other end of the scale, many are quite content using an AIS/DTAc Edge connection for their daily emails, surfing and a bit of downloading.

I think Thailaw is correct in predicting that East Pattaya can only get better and better. The infrastructure has already improved beyond all recognition during the past four years, and I am sure it will continue to develop as ever more people take up residence on the Dark side.

I predict that one day the Darkside will be considered the "right side of the tracks" (literally), and West Pattaya, the "other side of the tracks", as far as long term residents are concerned.

I predict that one day the Darkside will be considered the "right side of the tracks" (literally), and West Pattaya, the "other side of the tracks", as far as long term residents are concerned.

It is considered that already by many of us!! :)

Hi,

I just wanted to thanks everyone for all the responses. My only concern will be the travel - we plan to rent a car on a long term basis but my husband will be using this to get to work. Motorcycle taxis are out of the window as I don't want the little fella on one of these! I guess it will be far clearer when we arrive what is feasible and what isn't.

Thanks again to all who were helpful.

Laura

You really need two cars if you live on the Dark Side and your husband uses a car for work.

Bikes are far too dangerous IMHO, and without your own transport it's pretty hard to get around.

Maybe you should think about buying a used vehicle for the second car. There's plenty available, and they hold their value when it's time to re-sell.

It is considered that already by many of us!! :)

all young boys

praise their toys.

:D

disclaimer: i too live east of Sukhumvit. but just 1½ km away and not in the wilderness of Maprachan Lake or Horseshoe point et al.