Sports Drinks

• 1 month later...
711 - gatorade. :)

We used to call it Gatorbarf when I was running ultramarathons. Nasty stuff.

I looked for some real quality stuff and unable to find anywhere in Thailand.

The closest I could find is Hammer Nutrition, which is now located in Austrailia or however ya spell it.

They do ship to Thailand.

And no NFI in the company at all, but used allot of the products during my ultra career with excellent results. They are a US company owned by endurance cyclists.

• 1 month later...

I use a lot of "berdek" for my forest hiking trips - interestingly I tried Gatorade and it left me feeling bloated and unsatisfied compared to the packet salts. Anyone else witness this?

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

Same problem ... I have just run out of the stuff I brought from Australia ...

Gatoraid, and Staminade and similar are not to be trusted .... We had some near death experiences in MTB racing in OZ> One of them was comatose for 4 days, and we only just got him back!

My son in Oz is sposored by Torq .. They make gells and the like, but I think they also have a sports drink mix .. I will find out ... I have a feeling that its British, and they don't realy have electrolytes for that climate. There are numerous drink mixes available in Oz .. and I could import some of those ... I know there are some good ones.

I have tried the above mentioned drink available from drug stores here .. It seems OK .. Orange flavour .. seems to have salt, porassium and magnesium .. I have those in pill form and I usually add quite a bit in this climate. That may be the best solution untill we find something better. I too would like to get a large tub of it instead of small sachets.

The last Bangkok Hash House ride last w/end ... we did about 55 to 60 ks on Sat followed by 30 ks on Sunday .. http://bangkokbikehash.org/ If you want to do a bit with a great crew. Check out the piccies. Next ride will be at the end of August.

Andine !!

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

Same problem ... I have just run out of the stuff I brought from Australia ...

Gatoraid, and Staminade and similar are not to be trusted .... We had some near death experiences in MTB racing in OZ> One of them was comatose for 4 days, and we only just got him back!

My son in Oz is sposored by Torq .. They make gells and the like, but I think they also have a sports drink mix .. I will find out ... I have a feeling that its British, and they don't realy have electrolytes for that climate. There are numerous drink mixes available in Oz .. and I could import some of those ... I know there are some good ones.

I have tried the above mentioned drink available from drug stores here .. It seems OK .. Orange flavour .. seems to have salt, porassium and magnesium .. I have those in pill form and I usually add quite a bit in this climate. That may be the best solution untill we find something better. I too would like to get a large tub of it instead of small sachets.

The last Bangkok Hash House ride last w/end ... we did about 55 to 60 ks on Sat followed by 30 ks on Sunday .. http://bangkokbikehash.org/ If you want to do a bit with a great crew. Check out the piccies. Next ride will be at the end of August.

Andine !!

I've been using the abovementioned orange stuff available from the chemists, for a few bike rides now ... It seems to serve the purpose well enough! It has heaps of salt ( which I need ) and is not too bad .. I use two sachets per drink bottle .. So far have evaded cramps on a 60 k rides with the Bangkok Hash House Bikers .. The stuff is not available ( so they say ) in large tubs .. So Sachets are the go for now.

I find that if I stay on the formula I'm ok ... If I have a few soft drinks at drink stops I get into trouble ..

Andine!!