Owning A House

If the lease is genuine then it would seem to me all you need to return to them is the land that you leased once the 30 years are finished. If it is bogus for whatever reason then the same reasoning stands. I have read stories backed up with photographs of new houses being demolished because some greedy local was trying to steal a house. The police came and were powerless to stop it, you own every part of the house, make sure you keep those receipts safe.

If they try any funny business tell them that in no uncertain terms that if they fail to purchase the house off you at the end of the 30 years you will take it with you when you leave the land and all they will get back will be the empty land that you leased from them.

If they have registered the ownership in the daughters name it does look like they are preparing for ownership of this house before the thirty years is up, take any steps required to make sure they don't borrow money against the value of this house as you own it and not them, as someone else said you don't own the land but you do own the house, every part of it.

I would scrutinise the lease documents carefully, I'm not sure how these leases work in Thailand but I have had long term (25 year) commercial leases in Europe before, are they fully paid up for the full thirty years from the beginning or is it more like a western lease where you pay monthly or quarterly with five yearly rent reviews ? If it's the latter you could be in for a surprise at the first review if they try to con you.

As it's a fellow Dutchman who arranged this for you in the first place - what does he have to say about all of this ?

My " fellow countryman " replyed : I did worned you before -you knew it- I don't know - she does not know etc.etc.

Returning the house to us after 30 years ??? My wife will be 89 and I 95 years !!!!! nice he ?

Do you have a private land lease agreement and building contract or is it all in good faith and you just went to the land office and registered the standard land office lease form? If this is the case you are not allowed to sub-rent, not allowed to assign the lease and it will end at death. Ownership over the house is not relevant as there is nothing to leave to your heirs upon death as you do not have any rights to pass on.

If you do not have a proper lease you go back to the owner and agree to terminate the current lease and register a proper new land lease.

Josef

I think you might be getting worked up over nothing - assuming you do have a legal registered lease as you claim. Calm down and spend a few hours doing some serious reading to increase your general knowledge of these issue before you buy or invest in anything else. You might like to start with this ... www.burning-bison.com :)

You asked whether you can sell your rights under the lease - it depends on the wording of the lease and only you know that.

You asked if a change in ownership means your rights are no longer protected and/or you need a new lease: the new owner is still bound by the pre-existing lease.

Enjoy your new house and enjoy your life in Thailand

Why are you relying on TV to help you, get a good lawyer.

without a threat and attempt to throw them out, I think there is no lawyer needed. I'd have somebody to take care if this couple can't move in for whatever reason at the moment.

LATEST DEVELOMENT !!!!!

The owner ( Thai wife of Dutchman ) has given and registerd the blue book on the daughters name !!!

This happenend yesterday!Is this legal !!! or.................

I don't know what the blue book is, but I think it's the land deed.

I think you have to come here to sort it out for once and forever. Is someone living on that property now?

Check the papers and with the land department if any changes have been made. If so it could be a scam together with a corrupt official in the respective department.

I personally don't think there's anything to worry or a scam yet, but one has to be on alert all the time, better to play safe than sorry. I actually see it like chiangmaibruce.

Cheer up and enjoy

I don't know what the blue book is, but I think it's the land deed.

The blue book has nothing to do with the ownership what so ever! It is only a registration of the house, and in case of Thais, registration of who lives there.

A foreigner can get a yellow book.

note to self ; continue to NEVER buy/build property in Thailand

You must have a hard time keeping yourself from buying property in Thailand because half your posts are "note to self; don't buy property in Thailand." :)

[Obviously, I'm being sarcastic]

On a side note, I hope you are not living in Thailand if your last name is Dawson. If you don't know what I mean, then ask a Thai friend why that name is so funny to them.