Money Order In U.s. Dollars - Pattaya?

SurfRider

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a Money Order payable in U.S. Dollars anywhere in Pattaya?

I've found references to a Western Union office, but a search of the W.U. website turns up only an "agent" in Rayong and nothing in Pattaya.

I've also found information claiming that Thai Post Office Money Orders are not reliable.

Thanks in advance for any information.

"Go to the Bank of Bangkok and get a cashiers check"

Thanks for the suggestion -- This is for a Driver License renewal in the States and unfortunately, they'll only accept a Money Order or Certified Check written on a U.S. Bank.

I'm working on trying to have a U.S. Money Order sent here so I can send it back with the required documentation, but so far, no luck.

Thanks for the suggestion -- This is for a Driver License renewal in the States and unfortunately, they'll only accept a Money Order or Certified Check written on a U.S. Bank.

I'm working on trying to have a U.S. Money Order sent here so I can send it back with the required documentation, but so far, no luck.

Off topic a bit but you can renew a DL in the USA with just sending a check? Most states want you there for a new photo and signatures to the new license.

Off topic a bit but you can renew a DL in the USA with just sending a check? Most states want you there for a new photo and signatures to the new license.

In California, you can renew by mail/internet as long as you haven't had any tickets or accidents. I think you can do it twice. They just use the old picture.

Isn't there a Western Union office right next to the post office in Pattaya?

Edit: Actually I found a website with a picture and it's a Bank of Ayyudhya next door. However both the bank's sign and the post office sign seem to have a Western Union logo on there, so that's what I had noticed. Not sure what that means.

Edited by Carmine6

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I have the Renewal-by-Mail-Packet with specific instructions-- no checks other than "Certified" and they use whatever photo they have on file or they issue without a photo. The Packet has to be submitted via mail with the payment enclosed, as well as an eye exam, medical exam, and notarized License Possession form.

"Isn't there a Western Union office right next to the post office in Pattaya?"

If there is I haven't been able to find any reference to it anywhere and it's not listed on the W.U. website, but I'll check next time I get into town.

Found this photo of a Pattaya Western-Union -- The background looks like it's at Big-C ( North? - South? )

Given that it's a "booth" type venue, I suspect it's only for cashing W.U. money orders sent from overseas by the local girl's "one and only" many boyfriends . . . :)

post-53404-1267847753_thumb.jpg

There are Western Union shops all over town. I use them a couple times every month to have old fat girlfriends in the states send me money. Seriously just look for the yellow signs. They are in many places....Bangkok Bank upstairs in Carrefour, just past the carpark entrance for Royal Garden, Big C north, so many. But they do not provide the service you seek. They are for sending and receiving money for individuals. I use them to send money monthly to my sister-in-law attending a useless university in the Philippines. Since 1996 I have used their costly service maybe 500 times. Cost you the service fee plus they nick you a few points on the currency conversion rates, but they are always reliable and the money transfers in seconds. Your best option is to have a U.S. Postal Money order sent to you from someone in the states and have it sent Fedex,UPS,etc. Costly yes... any other method stands a 99% chance of being stolen. Thanks for the info on renewing California licsenses.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I have the Renewal-by-Mail-Packet with specific instructions-- no checks other than "Certified" and they use whatever photo they have on file or they issue without a photo. The Packet has to be submitted via mail with the payment enclosed, as well as an eye exam, medical exam, and notarized License Possession form.

"Isn't there a Western Union office right next to the post office in Pattaya?"

If there is I haven't been able to find any reference to it anywhere and it's not listed on the W.U. website, but I'll check next time I get into town.

I understand your problem. I work all over the US and have had similar problems while away from home. I was able to renew my license in FL while away from home. Luckily, FL also has online payment for registry type of stuff.

But, to the point. I will be glad to help. I have been to Thailand and Pattaya 9 times. I am willing to help a traveler. I can't believe the renewal packet is too expensive so let me know if you want some help. If you forward me the mail packet, I will put a check in and will send the packet on to your State agency. Or, I will mail you a check or money order, to Pattaya. I don't recommend that because Thai mail is less than reliable. Or I will mail a check or money order to somebody else in the states that you trust, and they can forward the mail packet. Oh, maybe the US embassy has a way to help? By the way, one of my banks is Etrade bank and they do NOT take checks from non-USA banks, so I am not surprised your state does not accept them either.

Let me know if I can help. Send me a message and we can work out the plan. You can catch up with me at some other time and settle up, either when I am in Pattaya or send me a cashier's check from a Thai bank. I also use Wachovia and I am sure they will accept the funds. Heck, the reason I opened an account at Wachovia, is because Etrade stopped accepting even US Postal Office money orders. Nuts, but that's the way it is.

GK.

Can't you just send the renewal documentation to a friend Stateside and have them get the postal money order and mail in the whole package for you?

They way you are trying to do it from this end in a dollar denominated negotiable instrument will be difficult to near impossible IMO.

Edited by FarangBuddha

GK, thanks for your very generous offer -- the world needs more people like you!

FarangBuddha, I'm starting to work on the state-side solution -- Didn't want to impose on anyone if I could do it here and the DMV in an eMail says that others have been able to get US$ Money Orders here -- they think it's as simple as walking into a bank and buying one, but I checked with TMB and SCB and, believe it or not, they didn't even know what a Money Order is! ( one response "Maybe Bangkok" ) They DID know Money-Gram, but that's not acceptable to the DMV.

I even contacted the U.S. Embassy and they suggested Western Union, so now we know their level of expertise! :)

bunta71, Just to be clear it's not a California license, it's Hawaii, so I don't have a clue what Arnold's requirements are. ( maybe a photo of Pamela Anderson? )

Just as a point of information, if anyone ever needs a document notarized and acceptable in the USA, the only place is the U.S. Embassy and the cost is currently 1020 Baht ( increasing next month to 1700 Baht and subject to varying Exchange Rates ).

I found a Notary source here-- it's 1300 Baht and done by a Thai Lawyer -- Questionable validity and acceptance in the USA. Fortunately, the Embassy is having an Outreach Event in Pattaya on March 24, so I won't have to go to Bangkok just to get a stamp on a piece of paper.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions!

The only other suggestion I would have is maybe check with the USPS website and maybe you can order a US Postal money order online (using Pay-Pal or a credit card) and have them mail it to you here in Thailand. Then send it all to DMV from here. Or have a friend get the money order and mail it to you here and again send it all in yourself.

GK, thanks for your very generous offer -- the world needs more people like you!

FarangBuddha, I'm starting to work on the state-side solution -- Didn't want to impose on anyone if I could do it here and the DMV in an eMail says that others have been able to get US$ Money Orders here -- they think it's as simple as walking into a bank and buying one, but I checked with TMB and SCB and, believe it or not, they didn't even know what a Money Order is! ( one response "Maybe Bangkok" ) They DID know Money-Gram, but that's not acceptable to the DMV.

I even contacted the U.S. Embassy and they suggested Western Union, so now we know their level of expertise! :)

bunta71, Just to be clear it's not a California license, it's Hawaii, so I don't have a clue what Arnold's requirements are. ( maybe a photo of Pamela Anderson? )

Just as a point of information, if anyone ever needs a document notarized and acceptable in the USA, the only place is the U.S. Embassy and the cost is currently 1020 Baht ( increasing next month to 1700 Baht and subject to varying Exchange Rates ).

I found a Notary source here-- it's 1300 Baht and done by a Thai Lawyer -- Questionable validity and acceptance in the USA. Fortunately, the Embassy is having an Outreach Event in Pattaya on March 24, so I won't have to go to Bangkok just to get a stamp on a piece of paper.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions!