Thai PM To Visit Australia Despite Protests At Home

webfact

The current government is basically unable to rule and I am sorry but that's not the fault of the reds. It's the fault of failing to adhere to democratic principles. The current rule seems to be based on a thousand indecisions:

We're having a holiday on the 12th--we're not having a holiday on the 12th.

We're not imposing the ISA--we're imposing the ISA

etc. etc. etc.

They travel in armored vehicles but can't go anywhere. Oh, except Australia. I hope he takes some tips on how to deal with refugees from Mr. Rudd.

So he is going to hang out with Kevin Rudd wow that should be a good time. Isn't the formular 1 grand prix on at this time also?

No that would be Bahrain and I expect Mr Thaksin will be among his Arab friends, if he has any.

The current government is basically unable to rule and I am sorry but that's not the fault of the reds. It's the fault of failing to adhere to democratic principles. The current rule seems to be based on a thousand indecisions:

etc. etc. etc.

They travel in armored vehicles but can't go anywhere. Oh, except Australia. I hope he takes some tips on how to deal with refugees from Mr. Rudd.

I'm not sure I get your logic.

"we're having a holiday on the 12th -- we're not having a holiday on the 12th" - what does that refer to ?

I recall those things happening several times during the TRT administration, but what does it have to do with this issue?

The TRT was also very good at changing policy on the run - more often than not at the whim of thier self-styled CEO leader.

Whilst the reds are not the only reason this government has had difficulty in doing its job, their parliamentary wing (Peu Thai Party) has an open policy of disruption. As recently as this Thursday parliament could not sit because of a lack of a quorum - particulrly from the PT/Opposition side. I guess they had more important issues to attend to. Maybe they needed t make sure the bagman turned up from Dubai with funds for next weekend.

Look after the needs of their constituents ?

Are you joking ?

These people are politicians...

etc. etc. etc.

I'm not sure I get your logic.

"we're having a holiday on the 12th -- we're not having a holiday on the 12th" - what does that refer to ?

I recall those things happening several times during the TRT administration, but what does it have to do with this issue?

The TRT was also very good at changing policy on the run - more often than not at the whim of thier self-styled CEO leader.

Whilst the reds are not the only reason this government has had difficulty in doing its job, their parliamentary wing (Peu Thai Party) has an open policy of disruption. As recently as this Thursday parliament could not sit because of a lack of a quorum - particulrly from the PT/Opposition side. I guess they had more important issues to attend to. Maybe they needed t make sure the bagman turned up from Dubai with funds for next weekend.

Look after the needs of their constituents ?

Are you joking ?

These people are politicians...

What really terrifies the reds is the good job the government is doing. This time last year they were all on here predicting that it wouldn't last a month or so, they'd be blamed for the effects the global recession had on Thailand, they'd be ostracised by the international community... you name it, they'd be blamed for it. A year on and the government has done a very good job in steering the country out of the worst of the global crisis and is making progress on the internal problems. It made severe misjudgements at the start of last April's riots, but eventually handled the situation with great skill. The reds are worried about this, hence the verbal attacks on any international organisations that recognise its achievements, and hence the attacks on where Abhisit was educated and what he looks like, all rather pathetic attempts to try and support their baseless accusations about the government's performance. This case in particular must be very galling for them for a couple of reasons:

They've threatened to huff and puff and blow down his government, but he's called their bluff and will visit Australia while they're doing it. He's not going to give in to their little blackmail scheme. Hopefully this time the government will be better prepared from the start to deal with the inevitable tantrum the reds will throw when they are ignored again.

He was invited to visit by the Aussie PM. The red supporters have spent pages here telling us that he isn't liked by the international community, and can't bear to see the propaganda that a state welcome to a major western democracy will give him. Why, it might even displace their own pathetic attempts to get on the news.

Instead, they're resorting to increasingly frantic attempts to spread lies and smear him with thinly veiled allegations of corruption, manipulating the courts, and doing nothing for the country, trying to taunt him into holding elections, and the afore mentioned meaningless, childish taunts of where he was educated and what he looks like. Accusations that not one of them has ever been able to post any proof for (other than the meaningless place of education ones).

Edited by ballpoint

etc. etc. etc.

Credo I responded to your other points and Ballpoint added some very pertinant comments, but I missed your comment about travelling in Thailand. I presume you are refering to several up-country provinces where the Reds think they rule and so go about disrupting legitimate government and political precense in "their realm" ?

That sound awfuly "democratic" not ?

Here is a pretend movement who "pretend" to support "democracy".

They want an "election", but judging from this behaviour, when the date is called (as it will be) it is highly likely that anyone competing against any "sanctioned" Red candidate, will be treated with the same sort of intimidation and be hindered from spruiking their candidcy as is normal practise in REAL democracies.

Maybe then people will understand this mob are no more than a one themed body, with no other purpose.

They will claim they are the "truth" and believe in "democracy" - as long as you submit to their vision and don't even listen to the others.

Democracy?

So he is going to hang out with Kevin Rudd wow that should be a good time. Isn't the formular 1 grand prix on at this time also?

No that would be Bahrain and I expect Mr Thaksin will be among his Arab friends, if he has any.

yes your right Aust is 25 to 28 March

Welcome back Fewret.

Prey tell, what is the "Amataya's media" ? Is that something like "Yellow News" ?

I am afraid he has just left the building :D

Alas poor Yorick,

I knew him Horatio...

(ellipses akimbo)

Maybe if he found a less consistent Nick style these 3 Bub names were all to similar.

And content + design is a dead give away.

Well I haven't been called a Yellow Journalist in all my days.

Running dog lacky of the imperialist dogmatics:

Yes, I have been called that! But they smiled when they said it. :)

These diplomatic visits are scheduale WAY in advance,

no doubt around the time of the ASEAN summit this was put in the works.

It would show weakness not to go. If he left after going that's a different issue.

Leaders do return from summits for true national emergencies often weather related.

So by not pulling out it keeps diplomatic gears turning.

As noted above it does show his position is stronger than some believe.

And SHOW is an important element in National Affairs.

They have a year in office, business is behind them, except for the Thaksin clique.

And the economy visibly is improving. Other than the Red/PTP endless whinging on,

things are not near as bad as most had expected now.

ie a stronger position than many believe, or wish to believe.

They have known for some time Thaksin will lose the plot when he loses the money,

and make some sort of real trouble, and MUST have contingency plans in place.

Regardless of SAYING an NSA is signed or not, it in effect will be one signature away

from passing if the reds run amok. Nothing says he can't do a conference call /

video hook up with cabinet and verbally give his voice to a presigned NSA draft.

The wild card is how psycho will his street thugs go.

It benefits none of the Commanding Generals to have a coup, since they have the upper hand now.

They also know the incompetence factor of PTP were it to enter office precipitously.

They need a slow measured response and minimalist actions, this would be obvious to them.

Suthep is able to deal with giving the executive orders on the ground,

and modern communications are such that Abhisit need not be uninformed at all.

Barely any time zone changes, and communications assured across the whole air flight.

But in a way this puts the heat on Suthep as acting PM proxy and isolates risk from Abhisit

if things go very bad. He was gone and didn't give the orders. Suthep falls on his sword

and the government continues.

There are more reasons to go than not to go, and he wouldn't be that far away.

And he has gone before when Thaksin made big threats and he came back.

This is really in many ways putting a big pink thumb in Thaksins eye considering his exits timing.

But Thaksin was over reaching beyond his job brief at the UN making that arrogant speech as an expired care taker PM

and Abhisit is the legislatively legitimate leader of Thailand, and ASEAN head for a few more months.

It's good that he goes and continues his jobs.

Edited by animatic