Whats The Big Deal With Saying Your Wife Is...

cognos

....Don't get it. If my wife was from Japan, India, wherever.. I would be proud of her. It is the PERSON you marry, not the nationality..As it is , the wife is Thai Chinese, as her grandparents were from China. I did not "choose" her because she was Thai Chinese.. chose her because she has a great heart and attitude, and sense of humour.

From being a kid, reading and looking at illustrated encyclopeadias.. was always interested in things China, reading about all their inventions like fireworks, Conficious, etc.. BUT the fact I married a Thai Chinese is pure coincidence..again.. If she had been from Tim Buck Too I would have been just as happy.

Why do so many on TV assume you are full of it, and probably lying.. when you mention your wife is Thai Chinese?

signed: blowing away the perception

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think to answer the OP question, there is a "feeling" that some people have adopted local opinions about what makes someone desirable. Ergo, one seldom hears of guys bragging that their wife is a splay toed isaan farm girl. Because Thais tend to look down upon such brides. It garners far more "Face" (yes, thereit is again) to say there is some chinese in the bloodlines. Because the locals value it highly.

Like I said, I think its a feeling that some have. How much truth there is in it is open to debate.

Frankly if it says Thai on the passport, they are Thai. Who gives a hoot what their ancestors were? That said. I have Thai's constantly question my nationality. I am black and British. This is incomprehensible to the vast majority if Thais who like to raise this topic. They ask, then go around the houses with a few other questions then come back and ask again and again, as if I have missunderstood the question. TO them, the idea that blacks have lived in ENgland for over 400 years is less likely than the idea that their child could get a scholarship to Hogwarts!

My splay toed Isaan farm girl wife had a nasty accident on her motorbike the other week. It resulted in quite a loss of blood. A miracle awaited, though, as it turned out the donor of the replacement blood was Thai-Chinese! Since having Thai-Chinese blood in her veins, my wife has been a much better person. And her nose even seems to be becoming less flat.

I don't see why your wife is Thai-Chinese, Surely if both parents were born here she is simply Thai.

Why do you choose to refer to your wife as Thai Chinese? Does she actually have Thai and Chinese Citizenship or passports?

If not then I suspect that will answer your own question.

TO them, the idea that blacks have lived in ENgland for over 400 years is less likely than the idea that their child could get a scholarship to Hogwarts!

Perhaps they're more educated than you think...

"In 1596, Queen Elizabeth issued an "open letter" to the Lord Mayor of London, announcing that "there are of late divers blackmoores brought into this realme, of which kinde of people there are allready here to manie," and ordering that they be deported from the country. (1) One week later, she reiterated her "good pleasure to have those kinde of people sent out of the lande" and commissioned the merchant Casper van Senden to "take up" certain "blackamoores here in this realme and to transport them into Spaine and Portugall." (2) Finally, in 1601, she complained again about the "great numbers of Negars and Blackamoors which (as she is informed) are crept into this realm," defamed them as "infidels, having no understanding of Christ or his Gospel," and, one last time, authorized their deportation. (3)"

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1...eportation.html

Edited by edwardandtubs

My splay toed Isaan farm girl wife had a nasty accident on her motorbike the other week. It resulted in quite a loss of blood. A miracle awaited, though, as it turned out the donor of the replacement blood was Thai-Chinese! Since having Thai-Chinese blood in her veins, my wife has been a much better person. And her nose even seems to be becoming less flat.

..but my wife's nose is kind of flat, and she has a fearsome temper :D

..when we are young we are all usually taught from our parents NOT to worry or care what the other person has :)

..i do not believe that certain types of Thai women are better than others: i respect them whether they are bg's, 100% thai, thai chinese.. whatever..

.. I am honest to a fault..so if someone may not believe me when i say i respect Thai women, regardless of race, creed, background, socio economic situation,etc.. well each are entitled to their own opinion

I don't see why your wife is Thai-Chinese, Surely if both parents were born here she is simply Thai.

Why do you choose to refer to your wife as Thai Chinese? Does she actually have Thai and Chinese Citizenship or passports?

If not then I suspect that will answer your own question.

to be honest, i call her thai chinese because she calls herself that..so i am a MIMIC..I am a COPYCAT..she has 6 sisters and 2 brothers.. they ALL have chinese nicknames..they use some chinese words..they have some chinese customs..they celebrate chinese new year as the biggest day of the year..both their mom and dad's family came from china..

Is it a crime to be cognizant of your background?

off topic: heck, i am scottish on my dad's side and ukranian on my mom's, so i could be labelled a cheap, skinflint, drunken perogie - maker..but it may not be accurate

Does it REALLY matter?

When you first met, did you go into lengthy genealogical discussions as to where either of you came from several hundred years back?

I doubt it. It didn't matter then & it's possibly less important now - unless you're looking for the origin of a hereditory disease.

My heritage:

Essentially:- Aussie

Technically:- Aussie / French / English

If asked:- I'm Aussie (sometimes "con Thai, mai farang")

TW:-

Essentially:- Thai

Technically:- Thai

If asked:- Thai (although sometimes she'll say 'Aussie')

Ethnically most Thai are Chinese heritage. I think its over 60% in BKK. That would distinguish them from the smaller, browner hill tribes that are the natives of this region. The Chinese have been emigrating to Thailand for 100's of years now.

The ruling class of Thailand is definitely of Chinese heritage and influence.

My question when someone says Thai Chinese is are they referring to

- Chinese language, culture or traditions

- Chinese ethnic heritage and physical traits

- Thai/Chinese citizenship or past residency

Thai Chinese could mean different things to different people

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I think to answer the OP question, there is a "feeling" that some people have adopted local opinions about what makes someone desirable. Ergo, one seldom hears of guys bragging that their wife is a splay toed isaan farm girl. Because Thais tend to look down upon such brides. It garners far more "Face" (yes, thereit is again) to say there is some chinese in the bloodlines. Because the locals value it highly.

Like I said, I think its a feeling that some have. How much truth there is in it is open to debate.

Frankly if it says Thai on the passport, they are Thai. Who gives a hoot what their ancestors were? That said. I have Thai's constantly question my nationality. I am black and British. This is incomprehensible to the vast majority if Thais who like to raise this topic. They ask, then go around the houses with a few other questions then come back and ask again and again, as if I have missunderstood the question. TO them, the idea that blacks have lived in ENgland for over 400 years is less likely than the idea that their child could get a scholarship to Hogwarts!

You are black and no doubt sensitive to racist comments then you come out with crap like this about someones toes.We can all twist racism around,and i find your post offensive.

THAIS LOOK DOWN ON THESE BRIDES,

<deleted>,most Iassan women marry thais,didnt you know that???

I personaly wouldnt brag if i had chinese in me as they have been one of the most brutal races in history.Did you know my ex wife was saxon english and came from good stock.I dont think anybody says that do they,so to say you married a chinese thai is pathetic.

Ethnically most Thai are Chinese heritage. I think its over 60% in BKK. That would distinguish them from the smaller, browner hill tribes that are the natives of this region. The Chinese have been emigrating to Thailand for 100's of years now.

The ruling class of Thailand is definitely of Chinese heritage and influence.

My question when someone says Thai Chinese is are they referring to

- Chinese language, culture or traditions

- Chinese ethnic heritage and physical traits

- Thai/Chinese citizenship or past residency

Thai Chinese could mean different things to different people

COBRA

It means one thing mate,that farangs are getting racist in Thailand too,due to mixing with racists.Been saying this for years now

..but my wife's nose is kind of flat, and she has a fearsome temper :D

..when we are young we are all usually taught from our parents NOT to worry or care what the other person has :)

..i do not believe that certain types of Thai women are better than others: i respect them whether they are bg's, 100% thai, thai chinese.. whatever..

.. I am honest to a fault..so if someone may not believe me when i say i respect Thai women, regardless of race, creed, background, socio economic situation,etc.. well each are entitled to their own opinion

COGNOS

All it means mate,is you are a nice guy and not a bigot,good on you my friend

Very very good post,

I had an op 6 years ago in Bangkok hospital,so i better check which blood was given to me

Sometimes people are proud of their roots. Happens the world over.

treat everyone with the respect they deserve and if they want to be proud of their roots allow them to be as long as it is not harming others. Personally I just regard everyone as human being regardless of race, nation, religion and all that stuff but each to their own

i think what happens is people sometimes wrongly ascribe generalizations to various groups of Thai women ( and the men/farang who are with them)..example..Issan woman are like this..bg's are like this.. "pure blooded" Thai women are like this.. Thai chinese women are like this.. Thai women from the north are like this..Thai women from the south are like this.. BKK Thai women are like this..Hi So BKK women are like this.. Karen Thai women are like this..educated Thai women are like this.. uneducated Thai women are like this..stunners are like this,Thai Muslim women are like this, Thai Buddhist women are like this, Thai Christian women are like this.. etc, etc.. ad nauseum..

.. when it is probably closer to the truth that they are all more similar than they are different. There are fantastic Thai women, not so fantastic, so so , and quite problematic Thai women in all of the afore - mentioned groups, EXACTLY like everywhere else in the world.

Unfortunately, many people/farang tend to lump certain groups of Thai women into categories, negative, positive, etc., which I feel is often a mistake, and causes no end of misunderstandings on blogs like TV.

I have found that many on TV seem incredulous when you mention your gf/wife is Thai chinese, hence this post..If anyone would lie that they are with a Thai chinese lady when they are not, it would make me wonder what their real motives are for lying, what their ulterior motive really is, and why would some be so quick to assume they are lying when they mention it..

signed: who is without sin cast the first stone

Ask your self a question if you where in your home country would you even be talking about what race your wife is ??? Myabe yes but no where near as much as in Thailand. Thailand is a racist country. Who cares what race your wife is. As long as you are happy together. To be honest Thai people in general are very boring people. They think to much about race .They all want to be as white as they can ... whats that all about... Yes i know they think dark skin people are poor and work in the fields.. But that is bull shit in this day and age. For a start on the world seen middle class Thai's are poor... 30000 or 40000 baht a month does not make someone rich !!!

If you and your wife are happy. Then thats the only thing u have to worry about.

Ask your self a question if you where in your home country would you even be talking about what race your wife is ??? Myabe yes but no where near as much as in Thailand. Thailand is a racist country. Who cares what race your wife is. As long as you are happy together. To be honest Thai people in general are very boring people. They think to much about race .They all want to be as white as they can ... whats that all about... Yes i know they think dark skin people are poor and work in the fields.. But that is bull shit in this day and age. For a start on the world seen middle class Thai's are poor... 30000 or 40000 baht a month does not make someone rich !!!

If you and your wife are happy. Then thats the only thing u have to worry about.

Another very good post

I have seen big changes in some thai women who live with farangs,then the gold comes out,then the racist comments come out about the poorer thais,then the critisism of other thais hair,weight,nose etc etc,just because they have had a piece of plastic stuck up there they think they are frigging hi-so

If not to display oneupmanship, classism, my heratige/up-bringing/station-in-life is better than yours, why does anyone need to make it known that you are Thai-Chinese, or Japanese-Thai etc ???

If anyone was born in Thailand and has a Thai passport/ID then they are Thai...end of story!

In fact when any Thai feels it necessary/important to let me know they are so-called Thai-Chinese, I take great delight in asking them where they were born and if they have a Chinese Passport, and then telling them if not "your Thai!".

These people just make me laugh. They honestly think they are so much better than a non-Thai-Chinese?

Like driving one of those Stuttgart or Munich motors.

The snobbery of the status symbol.

Mine is from the Issan stable, and doesn't need badges to brag about what's under the bonnet :)

It's not a big deal to me... But it seems like its a big deal to other Thai's who I meet for the first time...

i.e.

The common conversation in a Taxi goes like this...

Thailand girls pretty no ? you have Thai wife ? is she from Isaan ?

When I respond no, she is from Bangkok. They then ask if she is Thai/chinese...

As I see it, Thai's from all levels of Society wrongly or rightly hold Chinese origins higher esteem than Isaan origins - So for many I guess saying Chinese or Thai / Chinese is simply a more polite way of pointing out that their wife / girlfriend is not from Isaan which then has other connotations...

For example... how many times on this forum have we read: 'my wife is from Isaan and has a good job / not a bar girl'. Do we ever read 'my wife is Thai / Chinese but not a bar girl' ? - With the Thai / Chinese comment there seems less need for a further clarifier as to her character.

This whole idea is ridiculous - however a quick trip to Pattaya helps us understand why this situation exists.