Whats The Big Deal With Saying Your Wife Is...

cognos

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to my farangspeak dictionary "My wife is Thai-Chinese" when uttered out-of-context and unprompted actually means: "I am a respectable person because my wife is not and never was a bargirl since she is clearly not from Isaan".

Also in same dictionary "My wife was a cashier at Big C", again when uttered out-of-context and unprompted means: "I am a respectable person becasue my wife, who cannot pass as Thai Chinese on account of her very dark complexion, is not and never was a bargirl eventhough she is from Isaan".

In my Manual of Afflictions Affecting Farangs in Thailand, when someone spontaneously says "Hello, this is my wife Noi...she is Thai-Chinese and by the way, she used to work as a cashier in Big C for many years" such a person is suffering delusions and is especially serious when accompanied by said wife and her "sisters" who are all dressed as if they are about to start a busy night at Pattaya Soi 6. Apparently the cure is constant reassurance from friends and strangers that it really does not matter what the wife does. Some introductions to happy and respectable men who are indeed married to ex-bargirls would alleviate symptoms.

i lived overseas with my thai wife for many years, and one thing that annoyed the hel_l out f the Thai Chinese ladies... to the average aussie, canadian, or german, if you're from thailand,you are Thai. End of story. In other words they wouldn't see any distinction between thai chinese and isaan-ese.

Flip side of that is that it creates a lot of resentment among the young wealthy thai-chinese women studying abroad at universities - word gets out that they're from Thailand and all of a sudden 60 year olds are hitting on them assuming they are available and cheaply priced. :)

Ask your self a question if you where in your home country would you even be talking about what race your wife is ??? Myabe yes but no where near as much as in Thailand. Thailand is a racist country. Who cares what race your wife is. As long as you are happy together. To be honest Thai people in general are very boring people. They think to much about race .They all want to be as white as they can ... whats that all about... Yes i know they think dark skin people are poor and work in the fields.. But that is bull shit in this day and age. For a start on the world seen middle class Thai's are poor... 30000 or 40000 baht a month does not make someone rich !!!

If you and your wife are happy. Then thats the only thing u have to worry about.

Another very good post

I have seen big changes in some thai women who live with farangs,then the gold comes out,then the racist comments come out about the poorer thais,then the critisism of other thais hair,weight,nose etc etc,just because they have had a piece of plastic stuck up there they think they are frigging hi-so

Yes but they forget the old adage........the people you walk over on the way up......are the ones you pass on the way down!!!

Ask your self a question if you where in your home country would you even be talking about what race your wife is ??? Myabe yes but no where near as much as in Thailand. Thailand is a racist country. Who cares what race your wife is. As long as you are happy together. To be honest Thai people in general are very boring people. They think to much about race .They all want to be as white as they can ... whats that all about... Yes i know they think dark skin people are poor and work in the fields.. But that is bull shit in this day and age. For a start on the world seen middle class Thai's are poor... 30000 or 40000 baht a month does not make someone rich !!!

If you and your wife are happy. Then thats the only thing u have to worry about.

Another very good post

I have seen big changes in some thai women who live with farangs,then the gold comes out,then the racist comments come out about the poorer thais,then the critisism of other thais hair,weight,nose etc etc,just because they have had a piece of plastic stuck up there they think they are frigging hi-so

Yes but they forget the old adage........the people you walk over on the way up......are the ones you pass on the way down!!!

I understand and i have heard this saying but i cant see how it fits into this topic ??? I mean you will have to go very very far down in life to pass a thai living in some some shack or shiit room in Bangkok .. I think i would go back home before i went that far down in life. :) hahaha

Just happen to know a couple who fell a long way out of a relationship......after becoming quite the lady.....for a time.......disappeared in debt and persona non gratis.......

Edited by 473geo

What's the big deal with Chinese girls at all? There are 500,000,000 of them in China alone. Granted, many are too young, and some may be too old for most tastes, but that still leaves a hel_l of a lot for the Sinophile to play his little pretend she's upper class games with. Grab yourself one of the many bar or "massagee" girls over there, teach her Thai, and you too can strut around Bangkok looking down on the farangs with Thai girls.

What's the big deal with Chinese girls at all? There are 500,000,000 of them in China alone. Granted, many are too young, and some may be too old for most tastes, but that still leaves a hel_l of a lot for the Sinophile to play his little pretend she's upper class games with. Grab yourself one of the many bar or "massagee" girls over there, teach her Thai, and you too can strut around Bangkok looking down on the farangs with Thai girls.

..from my perspective it has NOTHING to do with farangs with Thai chinese looking down on farangs with Thais..(I would be just as happy with either)..

..its partially about WHY so many assume you are full of it ( lying ) when you mention in passing that your gf/wife is thai chinese..

.. with about 60% of women in Thailand of partial or mostly Thai Chinese origin...about 60% of farang should, statistically speaking..on average..give or take a little.. be with thai chinese women...no??

.. if you assume this..then why do so many on TV get riled up at what should be typical and normal ( farang with thai chinese woman), its not some EXCLUSIVE club

.. if any group of thai women seems to be more in demand.. it is the bg's, no?? ( made up up thais, thai chinese, etc..)

..btw.. my wife's family is from Phuket..that place is a former HUGE Chinese trading area ( check your history), so you will find that the locals are comprised MOSTLY of Thai Chinese heritage

signed: they all have trouble pooping, so what???

What exactly is thai chinese? I'm confused.

Are second generation chinese living in thailand included in the group? How about 3rd generation?

Take for example, a family I know the father (64) and mother (61) from mainland china immigrated to thailand when they were kids.

The parents speak little chinese and the offsprings (our friends) now (29) and (33) dont speak a lick of chinese.

My wife says they (the kids) are thai-chinese.

To my understanding there isnt an ounce of blood in them that are thai which means they are chinese.

Yet they feel offended if I call them chinese. They identify themselves as thai.

Maybe thai nationals but I think they are chinese. Okay I guess you can call them Chinese-thai. But I never heard it in that order before. It's always Thai-chinese

Did I not get something right?

Oh and it seems to me that the younger generation thai-chinese rather omit the chinese identity or culture and rather take on 100% of the thai culture.

Isnt it a shame to be part chinese?

Edited by tangcoral

never known it to be a big deal :D who told you it was ?? your wife :)

..its not a big deal to me, and it should not be to others either, as about 60% of Thai women could be Thai Chinese... however it SEEMS to be a big deal to some, as when you mention you are (one of millions) with a thai chinese partner.. many on TV seem to assume you are lying.. why they think that is the million satang question, hence this post

signed: strange days indeed

never known it to be a big deal :D who told you it was ?? your wife :)

..its not a big deal to me, and it should not be to others either, as about 60% of Thai women could be Thai Chinese... however it SEEMS to be a big deal to some, as when you mention you are (one of millions) with a thai chinese partner.. many on TV seem to assume you are lying.. why they think that is the million satang question, hence this post

signed: strange days indeed

I have noticed this as well.

My wife constantly has to mention it because she doesn't look like a typical Thai. And constantly hears "why do you speak Thai so well?" and then she replies she is Thai, most Thais think she is Korean or Japanese.

The funniest incident was when we were walking through the night bazar in Chiang Mai and my was was talking and said "Baa-saat" (crazy) and as we walked past some Thai/Burmese guys said to eachother "Baa-saat pen passa yipon mai?" (Is baa-saat a Japanese word?) :D

Date and marry who you love and find attractive and ignore the BS from others. A lot of people are never happy unless everyone around their either adheres to all their expectations or no one is happy.

According to my farangspeak dictionary "My wife is Thai-Chinese" when uttered out-of-context and unprompted actually means: "I am a respectable person because my wife is not and never was a bargirl since she is clearly not from Isaan".

Also in same dictionary "My wife was a cashier at Big C", again when uttered out-of-context and unprompted means: "I am a respectable person becasue my wife, who cannot pass as Thai Chinese on account of her very dark complexion, is not and never was a bargirl eventhough she is from Isaan".

In my Manual of Afflictions Affecting Farangs in Thailand, when someone spontaneously says "Hello, this is my wife Noi...she is Thai-Chinese and by the way, she used to work as a cashier in Big C for many years" such a person is suffering delusions and is especially serious when accompanied by said wife and her "sisters" who are all dressed as if they are about to start a busy night at Pattaya Soi 6. Apparently the cure is constant reassurance from friends and strangers that it really does not matter what the wife does. Some introductions to happy and respectable men who are indeed married to ex-bargirls would alleviate symptoms.

Spot on. Its just an indirect way of saying that their gf/wife is not, and never was, a brass. As we all know, no Thai Chinese woman would ever do such a thing, it is only those low class Isaan women who sell their bodies :)

TO them, the idea that blacks have lived in ENgland for over 400 years is less likely than the idea that their child could get a scholarship to Hogwarts!

Perhaps they're more educated than you think...

"In 1596, Queen Elizabeth issued an "open letter" to the Lord Mayor of London, announcing that "there are of late divers blackmoores brought into this realme, of which kinde of people there are allready here to manie," and ordering that they be deported from the country. (1) One week later, she reiterated her "good pleasure to have those kinde of people sent out of the lande" and commissioned the merchant Casper van Senden to "take up" certain "blackamoores here in this realme and to transport them into Spaine and Portugall." (2) Finally, in 1601, she complained again about the "great numbers of Negars and Blackamoors which (as she is informed) are crept into this realm," defamed them as "infidels, having no understanding of Christ or his Gospel," and, one last time, authorized their deportation. (3)"

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1...eportation.html

It was only 4 years before this that my one of my great, great.... uncles was Lord Mayor of London, hahahah. Not very nice people!!!

BTW, nice OP trolling statement, either that or just being a jerk. When you find out she ain't got any Chinese in her what you gonna do?

Edited by jayjayjayjay

My wife constantly has to mention it because she doesn't look like a typical Thai. And constantly hears "why do you speak Thai so well?" and then she replies she is Thai, most Thais think she is Korean or Japanese.

we get this situation constantly and it's a source of irratition to my partner, I just think it's funny which makes it worse. Whatever 'typical Thai' is, she doesn't fit that picture. People often think she's from 'somewhere else'.

On a holiday in KL locals would start chatting as they somehow decided she was Malaysian (She wants an 'I am Thai' t-shirt for Singapore later this month).

On Makha Bucha day we met my dentist at Wat Chalong (I can call him 'my dentist', think I'm paying his mortgage lately) he said hello to me then both he and his wife put their hands out to shake hands with Nok and said "Hello pleased to meet you" in their best practised English. Not a wai or sawasdee to be seen.

It was only 4 years before this that my one of my great, great.... uncles was Lord Mayor of London, hahahah. Not very nice people!!!

BTW, nice OP trolling statement, either that or just being a jerk. When you find out she ain't got any Chinese in her what you gonna do?

ahhh.. call ghost busters??

actually..she doesn't have any Chinese in her right now, as she's doing the dishes..but perhaps she slept with one in the past

signed: maybe the whole family lies about being part Chinese to give themselves a false "status symbol"

"If my wife was from Japan, India, wherever.. I would be proud of her. "

That is an incredible admission. Since she can't change her heritage, will you ever be proud of her

well i am proud of you for taking the time from your busy day, where you obviously have important things to do, to so aptly pointing out my incredibly stupid faux pas..

should read..".. I would ALSO be proud of her." btw..while we are at it, lets get this straight.. bg's are probably primarly made up of Thai chinese, whether from Issan or wherever. It makes sense, if 60% of the total Thai population has some sort of Chinese blood in their heritage..

signed: chinese are everywhere, like it or not

What is this fixation with Chinese and why do you think their blood is somehow better? My wife is 100% Chinese blood, born in Vietnam, reared most of her life in Thailand. Sometimes she's a pain in the ass and sometimes she's saintly. She is Thai, as is you wife. Take your eugenics thread elsewhere.

These countries are all artificial constructs anyway, so get the @* over it.

What is this fixation with Chinese and why do you think their blood is somehow better? My wife is 100% Chinese blood, born in Vietnam, reared most of her life in Thailand. Sometimes she's a pain in the ass and sometimes she's saintly. She is Thai, as is you wife. Take your eugenics thread elsewhere.

Actually she'd surely be Chinese Vietnamese taking heritage from her parents and the country she was born in.

It's simple. Thai Chinese have a reputation that differs from the indiginous. Some like them, some don't. Some find them attractive, some don't. Here are a few honest generalisations as to why they are perceived to be "better".

Fewer Thais make the assumption that a girl looking more Chinese/white is a bargirl or farang-hunter. There's a good reason for that.

Thai Chinese make an interesting and attractive physical mix to Thais.

Thai Chinese girls are less likely to make a play for men, especially foreigners, even if they like them. They are in demand already.

Thai Chinese are brought up with some of the stricter moral codes of their parents.

Thai Chinese are in the top jobs. They have more intelligence passed down in the genes and parents can often afford to give them better/further education.

Thai Chinese often live with their parents until marriage (referring to Bangkok), study in Bangkok and then work in Bangkok. They're on a tighter leash when it comes to nightlife and relationships.

Thai AND Thai Chinese men find Thai Chinese girls more attractive and more eligible as partners for the above reasons. Darker-skinned indiginous Thai girls know this. Draw your conclusion. Pure Chinese are generally not as appealing.

Thai Chinese girls are more difficult to attract.

A few foreigners think it's more worthwhile (especially after being here for a while) others prefer a possibly lower-maintenance option. Whatever social and communicative level you seek depends on who you end up with. Thais assume that foreigners will only be with the lower classes...who happen to mostly be dark/country/indiginous because that's what they always see, it's not the Thais' fault, but expect to be ridiculed for it. Thais are surprised when they see a foreigner with a girl whom they perceive as much more attractive, higher social grade and intelligent. A few foreigners are also surprised when they see this phenomenon!

Actually she'd surely be Chinese Vietnamese taking heritage from her parents and the country she was born in.

Both her parents were killied in the Vietnam War. At the age of 2 or 3 her Chinese grandmother who emigrated to Bangkok with another son took a ship from Bangkok to Da Nang to rescue her in the midst of the Vietnam War. Because of their cold blooded nature they could not care for her, but they placed her with a highly placed Thai family who were relatives of a sort. She assumed the identity of one of their children that had died and thus became Thai. The Chinese family who are quite rich only marginally acknowledge her to this day, but I'll always be grateful that there was a culture that was willing to attempt the almost impossible to spare my wife's life. I would never expect that a Thai would do such a thing. Still, they're hard to warm up to, so materialistic and all.

[/quote

I do not think that Chinese blood is better..blood is blood is blood is blood..AGAIN, for about the fifth time.. this post was written because I cannot understand when I or anyone for that matter mentions in passing that their partner is thai chinese.. more often than not people on TV do NOT believe it..and get real choked..WHY??? What is the big deal?? Why do people get so upset at what is probably the norm?? Believe me, thai chinese are no better or worse than thais without chinese blood.

signed: its not my problem

Carl BKK may be right, he may be wrong, and there may be a grain of truth to what he says..but he perhaps shed some light on why many get pissed and indignant when you mention your partner is Thai chinese

It's simple. Thai Chinese have a reputation that differs from the indiginous. Some like them, some don't. Some find them attractive, some don't. Here are a few honest generalisations as to why they are perceived to be "better".

Fewer Thais make the assumption that a girl looking more Chinese/white is a bargirl or farang-hunter. There's a good reason for that.

Thai Chinese make an interesting and attractive physical mix to Thais.

Thai Chinese girls are less likely to make a play for men, especially foreigners, even if they like them. They are in demand already.

Thai Chinese are brought up with some of the stricter moral codes of their parents.

Thai Chinese are in the top jobs. They have more intelligence passed down in the genes and parents can often afford to give them better/further education.

Thai Chinese often live with their parents until marriage (referring to Bangkok), study in Bangkok and then work in Bangkok. They're on a tighter leash when it comes to nightlife and relationships.

Thai AND Thai Chinese men find Thai Chinese girls more attractive and more eligible as partners for the above reasons. Darker-skinned indiginous Thai girls know this. Draw your conclusion. Pure Chinese are generally not as appealing.

Thai Chinese girls are more difficult to attract.

A few foreigners think it's more worthwhile (especially after being here for a while) others prefer a possibly lower-maintenance option. Whatever social and communicative level you seek depends on who you end up with. Thais assume that foreigners will only be with the lower classes...who happen to mostly be dark/country/indiginous because that's what they always see, it's not the Thais' fault, but expect to be ridiculed for it. Thais are surprised when they see a foreigner with a girl whom they perceive as much more attractive, higher social grade and intelligent. A few foreigners are also surprised when they see this phenomenon!

What a complete crock. You may have to rethink a few of your "honest generalisations" if Thailand gets another regime like Phibun Songkram's.