20,000 Monks Tipped To Join Red-shirt Rally On March 12

webfact

Yes, in the last episode of the season, they say, "Abhisit, the tribe has spoken. You are the sole survivor."

People have been predicting his demise "this month" for the past 15 months.

Meanwhile, the economy improves and people tire more and more of the red mess.

Dead men tell no tales.

Are you pleased that the AUD which was buying 22 THB 15 months ago now buys 29?

I'm not sure what you mean by "economy improving". Improving for whom?

For Thailand and Thai people.

There are a plethora of progressive indicators.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wat Thammakai is viewed with disfavour by many Thais. The previous abbot was famous for ordering 5 star breakfasts, the teachings advise that the more you give, the better the next life will be.

Sia Song, the notorious stock market investor is still a frequent visitor, perhaps advising on which stocks or property to buy.

The temple has long been associated with Thaksin, both are obsessed with money.

Thank you for that additional information, Siripon. :)

It certainly can account for their behavior...

5 star breakfasts, indeed. :D

Temple corruption.

Thaksin is making his kharma already worse than it is.

Makes one think of the Medieval church in europe, selling indulgences, papal bulls,

and keeping the coffers filled and robes top shelf, through guilt, coercion and fear.

No hair shirts for the top of the line ecclesiastics back then!

With all the 'thai spirits' and other 'unknowns' out in the national mindset,

it's easy to keep the country side in fear. Thaksin has playing into that web of

hallucinatory deception for mind control many times. Sondhi dabbled too if I remember.

Believe in Big Brother Thaksin and Phi Krasu won't get you!!! ooooeeeiiiiooooiiii

Don't worry Brother Sondhi can counter act his black magic...

I REALLY doubt either of them was even slightly serious, a PR sop for the masses.

Edited by animatic

Dead men tell no tales.

15 months ago would make it December 2008. My wife and I were in Oz visiting our family, at that time and it was around the same as it is now i.e. 29+ to the AUD. So as to make sure my memory was correct I just checked it on line.

Please get your facts right when you want to "blast" like that.

Update:

Security tightened at Bangkok's government offices ahead of planned mass rally

police.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Combined Thai army and police forces have tightened security at government offices in Bangkok ahead of a planned major demonstration by anti-government movement of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) next weekend in a bid to pressure the coalition government of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to bring about massive political change.

Checkpoints have been set up in Bangkok round the clock while suspicious-looking vehicles were searched, particularly those passing Government House, Parliament, the Supreme Court, the horse racing stadium and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Assistant national police chief, Pol Lt-Gen Pongsapat Pongcharoen, as Royal Thai Police spokesman, is to meet with police officials nationwide Sunday afternoon via video conference about the movements of the UDD protesters.

Meanwhile, Bangkok Metropolitan Police on Tuesday will announce traffic measures in effect during the demonstrations in the capital next weekend, when Red Shirt demonstrators say they will bring thousands of vehicles to block the roads.

Red Shirt UDD protesters nationwide will begin moving to Bangkok on March 12 and will gather at Sanam Luang on the morning of March 14. The movement leaders have said that one million protesters would join the protest in an attempt to bring about either the dissolution of parliament, or the departure of the Abhisit government as the political change the movement desires.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I didn't realize you could buy Chang Beer t-shirts at government offices.

Well spotted "Baldrick"...is that because it's "beer o'clock" ?

Clearly this was Sanam Luang, the Night bazaar, in that picture,

as mention in the OP, so they are doing and inspection of the rally site.

It looks more like Suan Lum - opposite Lumpini Park

That's quite a hike from Sanam Luang to be doing an inspection of the rally site ???

Edited by RegularReader

What is undeniable is that there are huge imbalances in Thai society and whether it is this time or another time there will be civil war unless something is done to address the real underlying issues.

At the moment I see nothing other than a determination by those in power to maintain the status quo.

In the long run this is not a viable strategy.

Separation of Church and State? No, it's rather the opposite here in this Kingdom.

By protesting with Thaksin's thugs, the monks are interfering with & are engaged in trying to overthrow the present government. Therefore, their actions are no longer a Church duty but have themselves taken part in State affairs. Separation of Church & State simply means that the prophets of religion not interfere with State affairs and the State not interfere in the affairs of the Church. But, if either the Government or the Church purposefully erases this line, then there is, and should not be "Separation of Church and State." The monks should stay in their temples instead of taking part in instigating violence.

this doesn't sound like it's for real, since when do monks assist in disruptive behavior related to politics? I would think they would be completely detached from that kind of thing.

Not at all! Buddhist monks were at the front and centre of the pro-democracy rallies in Burma as well.

Difference being these protests have nothing whatsoever to do with democracy.

precisely my point. this whole thing is in support of a fugitive and his loot. :)

Monks supporting the same movement that spawned Black Songkran. Its a pure propaganda farce. Shame!

Does it maybe suggest that you have a wrong idea about what happened in the "Black Songkran" incident? No, I forgot, it's impossible you could be misled.

Are you suggesting that the locals that were killed were killed by someone other than the red protesters? I must be reading the wrong newspapers.

I would be surprised if there were not money incentive, if significant numbers of monks march to (appear to) support the Reds.

Not long ago, a large group of monks in Chiang Mai did a protracted and ornate 'gaining merit' ceremony for Thaksin. Do you think there was no money involved? If the guy selling charcoal on the street wandered in to a wat and asked for a grand merit-making ceremony, would the monks oblige? He'd be laughed out of the premises.

I file this 'monks marching for politics' thing alongside a recent story of a bunch of schoolkids getting time off from school to march for some political thing. It's manipulated. Any monks who partake (though they probably have no choice in the matter, having been ordered to do so) should be embarrassed. At least they could fold their robes and put them away for awhile, and don street clothes to participate in a political rally which tries to gain sympathy for an extremely selfish, egomaniacal, power-crazed billionaire felon.

Monks supporting the same movement that spawned Black Songkran. Its a pure propaganda farce. Shame!

Does it maybe suggest that you have a wrong idea about what happened in the "Black Songkran" incident? No, I forgot, it's impossible you could be misled.

Are you suggesting that the locals that were killed were killed by someone other than the red protesters? I must be reading the wrong newspapers.

I was an eye witness to parts of the raging red mad mob here in Pattaya during the outrageous red thug attack on the Asean summit. I don't have to read about it. I could see it with my own eyes. This crowd has nothing to do with peace loving monks.

BANGKOK: -- Up to 20,000 Buddhist monks are reported to be preparing to join the mass red-shirt rally in Bangkok on March 12, threatening to mirror the “Saffron Revolution” in Burma in 2007.

Surely the monks aren't that stupid? Do they really want to support Thaksin? Really?

surely? really? :)

Arisman claims 20,000 Buddhist monks will join rally

BANGKOK: -- Red-shirt leader Arisman Pongruangrong claimed Saturday that some 20,000 Buddhist monks would join the protest organised by the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) next weekend.

He said the monks would come from temples like Dhammakaya, Kaew Fah and many others in the North, Notheastern and Central region of the country.

The monks would provide moral boosters to red shirts, he said, and would pray and chant so the demonstrators can defeat devil (mara). Monks will also remind police, soldiers and government to be mindful and to not harm red shirts.

Aside from monks, Arisman said some 5,000 farming families have began making their journey to Bangkok with stop over areas in Nakhon Ratchasima and Saraburi. He warned Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thueksubhan to not try to stop farming vehicles from entering Bangkok saying farmer would march by foot even if their vehicles were stopped.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-06

If most of the village people go to Bangkok the monks have to follow otherwise no food to collect in the morning.

Maybe the colour saffron is changing to the colour red. In my mind these robbed people have no more clout in society. They have spoilt their copy book as far as I am concerned and I refuse to give up the front or back seat in the public bus to these parasites any more!

Maybe years ago people where a little thick in believing these guys but in todays world they are being used by the elite in Thailand to brainwash the rural population.

Dead men tell no tales.

15 months ago would make it December 2008. My wife and I were in Oz visiting our family, at that time and it was around the same as it is now i.e. 29+ to the AUD. So as to make sure my memory was correct I just checked it on line.

It went to 22:1 around a year ago. You know the truth if you've seen the xe.com over the past year, so let's leave out the technicalities when I referred to 15 months as a reply to another post to which I was responding.

PS: It would be appreciated if you could learn how to quote properly in future.

it's a significant development, if the monks do join in the rally. They migh tip off the change not by numbers, but by giving a moral support to the cause.

If the deputy PM is warning monks against participation, means that temples are really planning to be in Bangkok and warnings, like those, will make them even more determined to show their will.

in reference to some minority monks joining the redshirt.... is really nothing to be alarmed by....

two days ago, a middle aged monk was sacked from the temple for having sexual intercourse with teenage girls on premise....

the majority of monks from what i knew were really not in favour of anything that includes public incitement....

if the redshirt really has a viable social justifiable cause to change the couse of thailand future for the betterment of all concerned .... let them present their case and cause to the national university student body....

if and when the student body decides to move one way or another.... that is the time to be concerned that.... changes are imminent....

as for now.... from what i gathered.... more and more everyday citizens are learning more and more in depth and at length....

that the sole purpose and intention of the redshirt movement.... is the restoration of tuksin.... it has nothing to do with the affairs of thailand at large....

just about 2 hours ago, if you can read thai.... you can see numerous big signs carried by redshirt proclaiming....

เรา รัก ทักษิณ -- we love tuxin....

in my estimation.... as much as i love democracy.... i feel very sorry for the poor esan marchers.... who invested so much of their own life to follow leaders who are mostly arrogrant, self-fish, self-centered and self-interested....

i just hope and pray like so many.... that the british education and influence on the PM.... and his current govt.... would stay on the side of mercy and tolerant.... even though shits might hit the fan.... is my humble prayer.

Edited by nakachalet

Separation of Church and State? No, it's rather the opposite here in this Kingdom.

By protesting with Thaksin's thugs, the monks are interfering with & are engaged in trying to overthrow the present government. Therefore, their actions are no longer a Church duty but have themselves taken part in State affairs. Separation of Church & State simply means that the prophets of religion not interfere with State affairs and the State not interfere in the affairs of the Church. But, if either the Government or the Church purposefully erases this line, then there is, and should not be "Separation of Church and State." The monks should stay in their temples instead of taking part in instigating violence.

Where does it state that there's a separation of Religion and Politics (Church & State) in Thailand? They are entwined. Some posters herein are looking at Thai affairs through the prism of western ideas. Actually, there is a lot of meddling in politics in the US by religious groups - mostly the far right Christians. It's caused some bad policies such as denial of birth control services for Africans, to name just one. Indeed, Right wing Christian groups' heavy influence on Reagan and both Bush administrations

has probably added to the tensions (and saber rattling) in the Middle East. However, it's doubtful you'll ever read a news item about thousands of Christian monks, draped in robes, marching for a political cause in Washington D.C. - or to try and force lawmakers to give Madoff a break from his ponzi scheme conviction.

Dead men tell no tales.

It went to 22:1 around a year ago. You know the truth if you've seen the xe.com over the past year, so let's leave out the technicalities when I referred to 15 months as a reply to another post to which I was responding.

Okay I'll bite and submit to your superior knowledge - when ?

I was in Australia from 23rd December 2008 until 30th December 2008 and from what I remember it was 29+ or - as I said.

I believe that is a median price.

But it appears to correspond with the figures I saw on the FX site.

If you know otherwise - I would appreciate your "educated" explanation, rather than treating me like a schoolboy.

Edited by RegularReader

The difference here is moral authority. It makes sense for monks to get involved in Burma. But wish as he might, Thaksin is no Nelson Mandella, he is no Aung San Suu Kyi. This is the core of the red's problem -- Thaksin. They have attached their hopes to a totally rotten star. The idea of a pro democracy movement led by un-democratic Thaksin just doesn't add up.

Edited by Jingthing

Where does it state that there's a separation of Religion and Politics (Church & State) in Thailand? They are entwined. Some posters herein are looking at Thai affairs through the prism of western ideas. Actually, there is a lot of meddling in politics in the US by religious groups - mostly the far right Christians. It's caused some bad policies such as denial of birth control services for Africans, to name just one. Indeed, Right wing Christian groups' heavy influence on Reagan and both Bush administrations

has probably added to the tensions (and saber rattling) in the Middle East. However, it's doubtful you'll ever read a news item about thousands of Christian monks, draped in robes, marching for a political cause in Washington D.C. - or to try and force lawmakers to give Madoff a break from his ponzi scheme conviction.

Those saffron robbed people (I dont wish to call them Monks.. they have lost the plot!) are just parasites on the community. Hitler had these guys .. he called them the SS... not much difference.

The difference here is moral authority. It makes sense for monks to get involved in Burma. But wish as he might, Thaksin is no Nelson Mandella, he is no Aung San Suu Kyi. This is the core of the red's problem -- Thaksin. They have attached their hopes to a totally rotten star. The idea of a pro democracy movement led by un-democratic Thaksin just doesn't add up.

How dare you quote Thaksin on the same line as the other two Mandela and Aung San Suu Kyi.

Thaksin is a common criminal who deserves what is coming to him..I don't think you could call him the Pied Piper also.. You decide!

How dare you quote Thaksin on the same line as the other two Mandela and Aung San Suu Kyi.

Thaksin is a common criminal who deserves what is coming to him..I don't think you could call him the Pied Piper also.. You decide!

Do you understand English?

ISA mulled to keep lid on red shirts

By THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Invoking the Internal Security Act to pre-empt possible violence during the upcoming red-shirt rally remains an option for the government, top security officials said yesterday.

A meeting of the Security Situation Monitoring Committee will be held on Monday, during which the need to impose the ISA will be reviewed.

The government has declined to comment on the necessity of invoking the ISA, but recent developments, including open threats of violence by pro-Thaksin hardliners, have caused considerable anxiety among the public.

"If we conclude there is a high chance of violence, we may propose the Cabinet invoke the ISA," said General Pirun Paewpolsong, Army chief of staff and secretary-general of the Internal Security Operations Command.

The ISA authorises the government to deploy troops to control potentially explosive situations, restrict the public's movements and regulate the media.

The committee is concerned about possible acts of sabotage aimed at creating chaos, he said, adding that security units were already prepared and on alert.

Army chief General Anupong Paochinda said Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who is in charge of national security, would have the final say on whether to invoke the ISA.

"There are many considerations, such as the possible effect on Thailand's image and the economy," he said.

Meanwhile, General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, chairman of the opposition Pheu Thai Party, cautioned any talk about violence would only hurt Thailand's image.

"If you ask me, the government should not jump to the conclusion that the ISA is needed. But the government must do what it must do. Just don't go around advertising it. The more you talk, the more the whole world knows about it," Chavalit said.

The red shirts have threatened to "shut Bangkok down" during the planned rally in a bid to bring about political change.

However, protest organiser and red-shirt leader Natthawut Saikua yesterday pledged an orderly and peaceful protest and dismissed fears of violence.

"We've mapped out a detailed plan, and our protests will intensify day by day in order to achieve our objective of forcing a House dissolution," he said.

"Thai citizens must decide to shut down Bangkok for a few days if the country is to move forward."

Natthawut said the crowds would be well behaved but relentless in pushing for the collapse of the government. The red shirts do not condone violence as alleged by the authorities.

He said the planned rally would project an impressive show of force and that the prime minister would see for himself the strength of the opposition before departing for an official visit to Australia.

From the main rally site in Sanam Luang, the crowds will surge into Rajdamnoen Avenue, passing the main rally stage at the Phan Fah Bridge on their way to the Royal Plaza, Natthawut said.

The red shirts will install loudspeakers on both sides of the avenue to enable the protesters to follow the speeches from the stages. Guard posts, first-aid tents and food- and water-distribution centres will be set up at designated locations throughout the rally site.

The plan is to confine the rally to the main site, but the red shirts will announce in advance if they decide to hold mini-rallies at other locations.

A week before the mass rally starts, the red shirts have already notified organisers they will bring at least 35,000 pickups to the rally site.

They have also threatened to seize any tow trucks the authorities use to try to remove the vehicles from the streets.

The red-shirt faction, led by Natthawut, Jatuporn Promphan and Veera Musigapong, insists it is not linked to the violence-prone clique of Maj-General Khattiya "Seh Daeng" Sawasdipol and Panlop Pinmanee.

It does admit to an alliance with the Pheu Thai Party but says it maintains an independent leadership.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-06

Well stated! Then could one say that they are not monkeying around this time?

Update:

Security tightened at Bangkok's government offices ahead of planned mass rally

police.jpg

How about actually being useful and shut down the counterfeit clothing stores they're walking around in front of? Or wait ..that would mean no more tea money. And no, tea money isn't corruption ...

Those saffron robbed people (I dont wish to call them Monks.. they have lost the plot!) are just parasites on the community. Hitler had these guys .. he called them the SS... not much difference.

Are you actually comparing buddhist monks to Hitler's SS?

:)

Dead men tell no tales.

I was in Australia from 23rd December 2008 until 30th December 2008 and from what I remember it was 29+ or - as I said.

If you know otherwise - I would appreciate your "educated" explanation, rather than treating me like a schoolboy.

January 1st, AUD Australia Dollars 0.0408491936 24.4802874031

February 1st, AUD Australia Dollars 0.0439423036 22.7571136915

March 1st, AUD Australia Dollars 0.0431742534 23.1619523486

From www.xe.com and the rhs column is THB.

PS: To clarify, these were last year's calculations, not this year's.

Edited by SeanMoran

Are you actually comparing buddhist monks to Hitler's SS?

:)

yes, they both are about the same thing... brainwashing! :D

The idea of a pro democracy movement led by un-democratic Thaksin just doesn't add up.

Well, let's be honest here for a second. Thaksin was democratically elected as the Prime Minister of Thailand. He was then ousted by a military coup. The same military regime that currently backs the Democrats. Now, the Thai people have never directly elected the Democrats. Let's see when (or better said, if) the next election comes, what the Thai people will choose. The Democrats? Or another pro-Thaksin government? And don't even start about vote-buying, because pro-Thaksin parties, as well as Democrats and ship-jumping Newin were all convicted of vote-buying.

Did Thaksin illegally take money for himself while he served as PM? Sure. As did Bush, Blair and pretty much every other head of state. It's how politics works. Everyone that can't see this is either an idiot or living in denial. That's the truth.

Dead men tell no tales.

January 1st, AUD Australia Dollars 0.0408491936 24.4802874031

February 1st, AUD Australia Dollars 0.0439423036 22.7571136915

March 1st, AUD Australia Dollars 0.0431742534 23.1619523486

From www.xe.com and the rhs column is THB.

Thank you.

Therefore we are both correct.

However, the figures you quote were reletively short lived, as it is now up around it's normal 28-30 range and has been for the past few months.

Regarding "quoting", I think you might have been refering to my "editing" your posts. That is because, there were more posts attached to yours, than is allowed. So, I had to delete some of the earlier content - apologies