What Should I Get?

I have a visa run likely up to Vientienne in mid-March. I will just miss that window of free-visa opportunity, as the news says they'll be free again in April. I can't figure which would be more advantageous to get, pay for a double-entry visa, or just get a single? I'm budgeting these days so it's something to think about.

1) It's 1000baht for each "entry", yes?

2) Please correct me where I'm wrong but if I got a single, I would simply have to do the process again 3 months later, but if I got a double, the only advantage is the border run would be quicker at 3 months (no consulate visit), but would cost more?

3) However if I got a single, this would possibly put me more at risk of getting stamp warnings sooner, no? Is it true that the red-stamp warnings are based on the number of times you applied for visas, not the number of entries?

This will be my third TR visa run, the first two I did in Vietnam and only got singles. If I can save a little extra money then great, but I also have to think about visa runs down the line next year. Please advise, thanks.

Since we are talking about tourist visas the first question is how many more trips you plan to make to Thailand in the foreseeable future for the purpose of tourism and how long you plan to stay in Thailand on each of these visits. Then take a piece of paper and do the calculation.

--

Maestro

If you really want to stay longtime, study might be a better option than tourist visas. There is no certainty how long you can continue to use them.

Yes, 1,000 per entry. Some people get a red stamp, some people don't.

A Thai language course would cost around 29,000 a year and would require you to attend school at least 4 hours a week. You can do any kind of study, as long as the school is officially recognized.

Or consider a trip to Perth and obtain 12 months multiple entry Non-O visa on the basis of visiting friends. Will need to do border run every 90 days; do a final border hop just before your visa expires and obtain new 90 day permission to stay stretching your visa to 15 months. Would need to take with you signed copy of passport/ID card of Thai friend.