Thai Police Arrest Trio For Mass Pills Haul Worth One Million US$

webfact

Thai police arrest trio in north for mass pills haul

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thai police arrested two men and a woman in northern Thailand Sunday found with 300,000 stimulant pills worth nearly one million US dollars.

Officers followed the trio for several days as they travelled to Chiang Mai province, where they detained the group and found the amphetamine pills in boxes in a truck, thought to be destined for Bangkok.

Police estimated the street value of the drugs to be 919 million dollars.

The suspects from the ethnic minority Hmong group were charged with drugs possession.

Drugs trafficking officially carries the death penalty although executions are rare.

Amphetamine-type stimulants are now the leading drugs in terms of use in Southeast Asia, according to a report late last year from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-03-07

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Oh my goodness me, not another bust of some bathtub made drugs so what else is new in Thailand, bring back the good old Heroin days. When everyone let it flow and it was not a danger to anyone involved, in fact it was supported it was allowed to cross the border and everyone was happy to make money. It flowed freely out of Don Muang Airport, with the knowledge of the D.E.A. who worked in the airport and Thai customs, When they did not kill suspected drug dealers. What has happened to Thailand in the past 35 years? Money for nothing, drugs for free.

Edited by Colabamumbai

Are these drugs ya ba? Or they a "type" of amphetamine?

919 million dollars? Or is the total nearly one million dollars? The article seems to contradict itself.

Do the math: If the street value is 919 million dollars, then EACH pill would be around 3,000 dollars!

If the street value is around 1 million US, each pill would be a little over 3 dollars. Thats more like it.

The U.S. government used to ship heroin into the U.S. in the dead bodies of U.S war vets during and at the end of the Vietnam war. Through their flag ship Air America they helped support troops in Vietnam with their heroin smuggling. Read "The Politics Of Heroin in Southeast Asia" I forget the authors name, but I lived here in those times and will admit that I was lets just say that I knew very much about the subject, to keep it short and not to incriminate my self any more than I already have.

More nonsensical conspiracy allegations. Criminals, not the government did that. The United States government never sanctioned the import of heroin. Everyone knows that the drug smuggling business generates considerable money and that the money is used to corrupt officials. Just as corruption is present in Thailand it also afflicted some U.S. officials during the Vietnam war. The fact that there was smuggling or that some U.S. officials were implicated does not mean that the activity was aanctioned by the U.S. government.

If you wish to hint at your prior experience in the drug smuggling business, that's your business, but there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that your activities were considered legal or approved of by the U.S. federal government, or the military. Drugs were one of the biggest causes of insubordination and ill discipline and the military command was not going to encourage anything that led to the breakdown of discipline and good order. The conditions of cargo transit were considerably different 30-50 years ago. No one checked anything coming in or going out of airports or portts. The US FAA only ordered that passengers and luggage be screened starting in 1973.

The garbage text you cite by Mr. Alfred McCoy also alleges that prostitution and heroin trafficing was introduced by "jewish" gangsters. (Apparently, there was no drug dealing or prostitution in the USA prior to Meyer Lansky linking up with the "evil" Italians.) Mr. McCoy's fanciful allegations have been raised previously and outside of the usual nutters that buy into the crap, no one else of any substance has bought into it. I know it's hard to believe, but criminals can exist and thrive without encouragement or support from governments.

And if you have "done the crime and the time" what are you doing in Thailand? Immigration officials are supposed to keep out anyone with a prior drug smuggling conviction, no matter how long ago.

many here are bunch of a babies... :D are you so bored

of course it is not 919 milion dollars. you can't count or what 300 000 pills would make each pill worth 3000+ dollars :) well have you ever seen or heard of any pill, even if it is made of gold, costing 3000+ dollars??

I must be crazy to even react on these kinda remarks, some of you very frequently have

Edited by aras

Police estimated the street value of the drugs to be 919 million dollars

Ah yes the accuracy of the Nation at its best.

That was not reported by The Nation, that was reported by AFP. However they do seem to have the same standards as the Nation.

More nonsensical conspiracy allegations. Criminals, not the government did that. The United States government never sanctioned the import of heroin.

What like Ollie North never did guns for coke and Taliban / Afghani warlords not tolerated in poppy heroin production for their support ??

The U.S. government used to ship heroin into the U.S. in the dead bodies of U.S war vets during and at the end of the Vietnam war. Through their flag ship Air America they helped support troops in Vietnam with their heroin smuggling. Read "The Politics Of Heroin in Southeast Asia" I forget the authors name, but I lived here in those times and will admit that I was lets just say that I knew very much about the subject, to keep it short and not to incriminate my self any more than I already have.

More nonsensical conspiracy allegations. Criminals, not the government did that. The United States government never sanctioned the import of heroin. Everyone knows that the drug smuggling business generates considerable money and that the money is used to corrupt officials. Just as corruption is present in Thailand it also afflicted some U.S. officials during the Vietnam war. The fact that there was smuggling or that some U.S. officials were implicated does not mean that the activity was aanctioned by the U.S. government.

If you wish to hint at your prior experience in the drug smuggling business, that's your business, but there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that your activities were considered legal or approved of by the U.S. federal government, or the military. Drugs were one of the biggest causes of insubordination and ill discipline and the military command was not going to encourage anything that led to the breakdown of discipline and good order. The conditions of cargo transit were considerably different 30-50 years ago. No one checked anything coming in or going out of airports or portts. The US FAA only ordered that passengers and luggage be screened starting in 1973.

The garbage text you cite by Mr. Alfred McCoy also alleges that prostitution and heroin trafficing was introduced by "jewish" gangsters. (Apparently, there was no drug dealing or prostitution in the USA prior to Meyer Lansky linking up with the "evil" Italians.) Mr. McCoy's fanciful allegations have been raised previously and outside of the usual nutters that buy into the crap, no one else of any substance has bought into it. I know it's hard to believe, but criminals can exist and thrive without encouragement or support from governments.

And if you have "done the crime and the time" what are you doing in Thailand? Immigration officials are supposed to keep out anyone with a prior drug smuggling conviction, no matter how long ago.

Air america, the secret war in loas, CIA funding their exploits through drug smuggling, its all well documented, we even learnt about it as fact in GCSE history! i saw a documentary on the discovery channel about it just the other week.

Dont try and deny the good old USofA hasn't done all sorts of horrible things all over the world to attain/ maintain their economic interests. Anyone who follows pollitics or read history can clearly see US ready to support friendly dictators and armed millitias when it suits them,; Democracy and freedom is just PR bullshit, a useful excuse to bomb people who dont conform.

I'd still rather be on Americas side than china or the muslims but no point denying the obvious- everyones out for themselves and will do whatever they can get away with.