What Car Would You Suggest For Under 200k?

So, my sister in-law has just gotten a new job that is a little bit too far from her home to be taking taxis everyday. She has 200K in the bank and is determined to buy a car. What would you recommend?

She likes Toyota and Honda (what Thai doesn't?) and has so far focused on 1994/5 Civic hatchbacks, as they seem to run around 180K.

I am trying to see if there are any better deals out there. - Or perhaps that is her best bet?

What about the Nissan NV Wingroad? 2001/2 models are a shade under 200K

Also the Nissan Frontier 2002/3 is also just a bit under 200.

I see some Ford Rangers from 2001 at 200K.

I can already see her not liking the style of any of those 3 suggestions, so anything a little 'cuter' but reliable out there?

Thanks.

The Chinese Chery cars start new about 200k, must be better then a ten year old one. http://www.thaichery.com/

200K Baht would be the downpayment, prices start just below the 400K mark:

http://www.thaichery.com/model.html

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/th/vehic...=CHER&new=1

Yeah you are right - they were launched here around Christams time and at the tim ethe basic QQ model was about 230k. I guess that was just an introductory thing. Also why I haven't actually seen one on the road yet.

yep a 28 year old Toyato would be OK, its only the new ones that have sticking accelorator pedals and poor quality control, eh?

Well 200k won't get her much. If that is the max she will/can spend better buy something that is very common in Thailand. She likes Toyota's and Honda's good, they are cheap to repair here and a lot of second hand spare parts available.

Unless she can find a car that she know is in very good condition for that price, better spend say 150- 160k on the car and have the engine/gearbox swapped with a reconditioned one.

I wish her good luck with the project :)

I'd suggest an 8-10 year old Honda City or Toyota Soluna for a sub 200k budget. Still seeing many on the roads in BK and they don't look too dated; plenty of generic parts still stocked and cheap insurance premiums.

U' ll not find a year 2000 or 2002 Model Soluna or City for that price. The 200'k option would put you back maybe on a poor condition 96, manual, no option model. Mileage can't control on a 10 to 15 year old car. Also engineswap is not important as the swapped engine is never a recondition one. They only import and swap second hand engines from Japan, but mileage isn't sure (never know how long they droved in Japan). If you bad look they just came out from a Tokio Taxi.

Actualy the 3 door Honda she saw, isn't a bad option. nice looking car for a girl, yeas, it's only carburetor engine ,but parts are very cheap for that car. Would go for this one, if the condition is right. Make sure the car has at least power steering and automatic for this price, otherwise it would be difficult for a girl to drive without power steering.

According to me, under 200k......mitsubishi lancer from 93/94 (evo 3 style) would be the best car. It is very reliable car. Parts are easy available and very popular among thais. resale value is really good. modifying kits are still available.

Even they have dedicated garage only for these models and one could be found on rama 9 road near lotus express.

how about this car? it has 4g15 engine which is 1.5 cc.

http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/cardetails...00207&row=2

also within 200k, u will also find 4g93 engine which is 1.8cc. if you can install LPG with this machine, it would be perfect.

This mitsu model offers many engine type which are:

4g13 1.3 cc (i don't suggest this one)

4g15 1.5cc

4g91 1.6 cc

4g92 mivec 1.6 cc

4g93 na or 4g93 turbo 1.8 cc

4g63 na or 4g63 turbo 2.0 cc (evolution 3)

you see the range of engine it can support on this mitsu lancer. all these engines are easy available in Thailand.

According to me, under 200k......mitsubishi lancer from 93/94 (evo 3 style) would be the best car. It is very reliable car. Parts are easy available and very popular among thais. resale value is really good. modifying kits are still available.

Even they have dedicated garage only for these models and one could be found on rama 9 road near lotus express.

also within 200k, u will also find 4g93 engine which is 1.8cc. if you can install LPG with this machine, it would be perfect.

4g15 1.5cc

4g91 1.6 cc

4g92 mivec 1.6 cc

you see the range of engine it can support on this mitsu lancer. all these engines are easy available in Thailand.

I agree about the 90's model lancer, I think until recently Proton based most of its mid size models on this design so that should help with parts. I would not recommend the car in the link posted though, a body kit and other mod's like that one has could suggest it has been ragged by a young Thai guy. I would look for a really standard spec model, even with original radio, and if you are lucky it may mean it was owned by a grandmother who used it once a week to go to the temple.

cheers

4g15 1.5cc

4g91 1.6 cc

4g92 mivec 1.6 cc

I agree about the 90's model lancer, I think until recently Proton based most of its mid size models on this design so that should help with parts. I would not recommend the car in the link posted though, a body kit and other mod's like that one has could suggest it has been ragged by a young Thai guy. I would look for a really standard spec model, even with original radio, and if you are lucky it may mean it was owned by a grandmother who used it once a week to go to the temple.

cheers

A grand mother who never changed the oil and fluids, because she don't know.

Yes that Mistu is "blulled proof", good car but very boring and ALLWAYS the whole dashboard rattles in the idle speed when AC is on.

4g15 1.5cc

4g91 1.6 cc

4g92 mivec 1.6 cc

cheers

A grand mother who never changed the oil and fluids, because she don't know.

Yes that Mistu is "blulled proof", good car but very boring and ALLWAYS the whole dashboard rattles in the idle speed when AC is on.

you can even change the air dashboard which they call "air digital" just for 3000 baht. it doesn't rattle for all car for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of suggesting she inccur debt. (I hate debt!) I would offer this:

Put 100k down on an New Nissan March which cost 375,000.

Its very cool and will hold its value well in the coming years. Paying for it over 3 years or even four would be a modest payment and she could either invest the other 100k in a business or keep it safe, as I am guessing she didn't come buy it over night.

I have a friend who with 3 motorbikes makes 7 - 18k per month renting them out. and that includes a cut to her sister who actually opperates the business, my friend just supplied the bikes and takes an income from them every month. Something simple like that would pay for her "March? payments and maybe top up her savings. that way she can pay for the liability with an asset, not with her job income.

Just my two penneth.

I agree with Loz. One thing to consider about an older Mitsui Lancer (and I agree that is the best choice at this price level) is that they run on 91 Benzene. To fill a tank costs 1500 at today's prices and they do not get good gas mileage. The new Nissan March eco-car gets 20/km/litre, and you could run it all month for under a thousand.

The only drawback is that the 425,000 version of March will cost you 80,000 Down payment and about 5,000/mo. in payments. So, that with a budget of 200k, not sure how that works out for you.

I agree with Loz. One thing to consider about an older Mitsui Lancer (and I agree that is the best choice at this price level) is that they run on 91 Benzene. To fill a tank costs 1500 at today's prices and they do not get good gas mileage. The new Nissan March eco-car gets 20/km/litre, and you could run it all month for under a thousand.

The only drawback is that the 425,000 version of March will cost you 80,000 Down payment and about 5,000/mo. in payments. So, that with a budget of 200k, not sure how that works out for you.

makes 3 of us. pay 100-150k down on a 375k March and get 2% interest. no repairs, cheap on tax, fuel and insurance

with regard to down payment, I think you can put down more if you want. And if you look at my comments on the other Nissan March thread, you will see why I advocate the 375k version. Cars in Thailand never stay the same so if you are going to modify, start with a cheaper blank canvas.

http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/cardetails...00523&row=2

2007 look smart and under 200k + 20+km to 1 lt.

240k Brand New automatic http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/cardetails...76005&row=2

Can't see the point of a Lady buying a 10 to 15 + year old car, just because it has a Toyota badge on the front. Thai lady 2 houses down from me has a 1994 Toyota for the past 4 years, it spends 2+ days a month in a worksop, she takes the kids to school and is always asking one of use in the Village to take them as car broken again.......... Next door had a 1993 Mitsui Lancer, used it for going to work was always breaking down + was very hard to find new parts, he sold it early last year and bought a Toyota Corona 2000 yr but that was over 300k

http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/cardetails...00523&row=2

2007 look smart and under 200k + 20+km to 1 lt.

240k Brand New automatic http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/cardetails...76005&row=2

Can't see the point of a Lady buying a 10 to 15 + year old car, just because it has a Toyota badge on the front. Thai lady 2 houses down from me has a 1994 Toyota for the past 4 years, it spends 2+ days a month in a worksop, she takes the kids to school and is always asking one of use in the Village to take them as car broken again.......... Next door had a 1993 Mitsui Lancer, used it for going to work was always breaking down + was very hard to find new parts, he sold it early last year and bought a Toyota Corona 2000 yr but that was over 300k

Because they using "monkey repairshops" instead ot a good repairshop with good mecanic. The "monkey repairshop" is cheaper then the real mecanic would charge, therefore they using them and therefore the cars allways brake down. "One problem fixed and 3 new problems created" (Ping Pong Effect)

Can see it's a "monkey repairshop", as there is no shortage of parts for a Mitsu Lancer.

Edited by stingray

Thanks to everyone for your informative replies. Would like to update this thread to note that the sister in law has decided not to buy a car because every single person's opinion on the matter was negative towards buying such an old car.

She is now considering a motorbike, which is an even worse idea in my opinion (northern BKK roads)

I'll suggest the March idea, that seems like the best deal around.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to avoid are the old European cars that sell in the sub 200k range, like the old Peugeot 205's. Not only are they far less reliable than the old Japanese cars, but the prices for parts can be ridiculous, if you can even find parts for them at all here. Also, before she even considers one of those Chinese Chery cars, watch the crash test videos on Youtube. They are death traps in any accident and Thai Government is making a big mistake allowing that Chinese crap into the Country.

One more thought; I've seen many old Ford Festivas from the early 90's here and they are quite cheap. They were actually made by Kia. I Had one in the USA as a work can and I drove it 300,000 miles without any major problems. Might be a good choice if she can find one, and probably no less safe than a new Chery.

Edited by Bobr

One thing to avoid are the old European cars that sell in the sub 200k range, like the old Peugeot 205's. Not only are they far less reliable than the old Japanese cars, but the prices for parts can be ridiculous, if you can even find parts for them at all here. Also, before she even considers one of those Chinese Chery cars, watch the crash test videos on Youtube. They are death traps in any accident and Thai Government is making a big mistake allowing that Chinese crap into the Country.

One more thought; I've seen many old Ford Festivas from the early 90's here and they are quite cheap. They were actually made by Kia. I Had one in the USA as a work can and I drove it 300,000 miles without any major problems. Might be a good choice if she can find one, and probably no less safe than a new Chery.

It's absolutely not the truth. Specially Peugeot parts for 505, 405, 306 etc, are cheap, just like Corolla parts. They are made in Thaiwan. Headlights for a 505 or 405, cost about 800 Baht, taillight 600 Baht, used auto gearbox for 306 or 405, 12 to 15'k, etc. Peugeots are very solid cars. Why you see them everywhere in North Africa? Because they are solid and reliable cars. Had many Peugeots. Never had part problems.

BTW. Festivas and Aspires have no power steering, not good choice for a lady