Looking For Surfboard Manufacturers

As surfboard shaping is a skilled business, usually done by ex-surfers, there pretty much aint none in Thailand.

Star Board make Airush kiteboards, theres a big industry in that here due to natural conditions.

I wish you look in finding what you are after. Ill be interested to see what you find.

As surfboard shaping is a skilled business, usually done by ex-surfers, there pretty much aint none in Thailand.

Star Board make Airush kiteboards, theres a big industry in that here due to natural conditions.

I wish you look in finding what you are after. Ill be interested to see what you find.

FYI

I found a company called Cobra who seem to produce about 75%(!) of the world market....not bad for Thailand huh.

Thay have been taught by the professionals as in every trade has been done throught he years; that's why the copycat image of Thailand.

In reply to a later mail on where to surf in Thailand; they are made for export mostly..... :o

thanks for all your input

Jumbo

75% of the world market is unrealistic. Surfers usually get their boards from suppliers that they know and in most cases can name the shaper that they want for their equipment. For example when I used to surf Phil Becker shaped all my boards from the time that he worked for Natural Progressions up 'till the time that he had his own business. He had some characteristic 'touches' like the tail contour that were unmistakeable.

Surfing is a difficult sport and requires a degree of dedication from enthusiasts that insist upon custom made equipment. A 'mass market' as you describe as in mass produced surfboards doesn't sound credible.

75% of the world market is unrealistic. Surfers usually get their boards from suppliers that they know and in most cases can name the shaper that they want for their equipment. For example when I used to surf Phil Becker shaped all my boards from the time that he worked for Natural Progressions up 'till the time that he had his own business. He had some characteristic 'touches' like the tail contour that were unmistakeable.

Surfing is a difficult sport and requires a degree of dedication from enthusiasts that insist upon custom made equipment. A 'mass market' as you describe as in mass produced surfboards doesn't sound credible.

Well I am always eager to learn..

Please look at google and keyin surf board manufacturers and read what I read as well and than tell me where I misintepreted the 75%??

I am not sure, but I am definately not a surfer myself, but it seems to me that the average retailer in a shopping mall doesnot buy from Phil Becker types, but it could be that the majority of the surfers buy at PB types. I really do not know.

I just read the information and much to my and probably your surprise Thailand DOES manufacture surfboards on a large scale (be-it 75% or not)

take care

Jumbo

From http://www.bangkokpost.net/56pe2002/cobra/cobra.html

Quote:

Established in 1985 with a registered capital of 100,000,000 baht, Cobra International Co., Ltd. is a leading OEM manufacturer for high-end windsurf boards, surf boards and accessories for renowned windsurf brands worldwide.

Office and factory:

Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate

700/478 Moo 7, Don Huaroh

Muang, Chon Buri 20000

Tel +66 (0) 3821 3121-31

Fax +66 (0) 3821 3110

3821 3120

Email <[email protected]>

Most of Cobra’s valuable customers are companies located in Australia, Austria, England, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, The Netherlands, Switzerland, the U.S.A. and Western Samoa. This enables Cobra to hold 55% of the worldwide windsurf board market share.

Cobra’s modern production plant is located in Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate, with a total working area of 55,000 sq. m. Through constant R&D and a highly skilled work force of 2,400 people, Cobra can introduce new technology and produce products to meet its customers’ individual requirements.

Unquote

Patrick

Yup, Phuket. Karon and Kata beaches have small swells for a couple of months a year. It sux as far as it goes though. No real surfer would come here for it.

Evo, which mth's do the swells come in?

Anywhere closer to Pattaya?

Man, I'm missing waves...at this point I'll take anything...

The time for waves is right now. Theres about a meter to 2 meters to play with on Karon beach right now.

Samui and Pha Gnan (sp?) get some small waves at this time too, but they are hit and miss. Not a lot up near Pattaya im afraid, though i'm not 100% sure on that. Never heard anyone talk about it.

Yup, Phuket. Karon and Kata beaches have small swells for a couple of months a year. It sux as far as it goes though. No real surfer would come here for it.

Evo, which mth's do the swells come in?

Anywhere closer to Pattaya?

Man, I'm missing waves...at this point I'll take anything...

The time for waves is right now. Theres about a meter to 2 meters to play with on Karon beach right now.

Samui and Pha Gnan (sp?) get some small waves at this time too, but they are hit and miss. Not a lot up near Pattaya im afraid, though i'm not 100% sure on that. Never heard anyone talk about it.

Crap, this next month is crazy busy for me. How long do the waves last for? Anything in July?

From http://www.bangkokpost.net/56pe2002/cobra/cobra.html

Quote:

Established in 1985 with a registered capital of 100,000,000 baht, Cobra International Co., Ltd. is a leading OEM manufacturer for high-end windsurf boards, surf boards and accessories for renowned windsurf brands worldwide.

Office and factory:

Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate

700/478 Moo 7, Don Huaroh

Muang, Chon Buri 20000

Tel +66 (0) 3821 3121-31

Fax +66 (0) 3821 3110

3821 3120

Email <[email protected]>

Most of Cobra’s valuable customers are companies located in Australia, Austria, England, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, The Netherlands, Switzerland, the U.S.A. and Western Samoa. This enables Cobra to hold 55% of the worldwide windsurf board market share.

Cobra’s modern production plant is located in Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate, with a total working area of 55,000 sq. m. Through constant R&D and a highly skilled work force of 2,400 people, Cobra can introduce new technology and produce products to meet its customers’ individual requirements.

Unquote

Patrick

Thanks Patrick

seemed I was off track with my 75%, ead it too hastly I think.

Anyway it should confirm to anyone they are doing a ###### of a lot of surfboards

More than some people might want to believe :o

Jumbo

Hi Thaiboxer,

Surf season here in Phuket is from April to November....with occasional freak swells during off season. Actually, the waves are always hit or miss but last July was a highlight month for me at Nai Harn....anyway.....also about the boards being manufactured here....yup they are for export....you can buy a board here but its got the export duty on it so not really that cheap. Decent shop in Chalong for NSP and Cobra boards B13K and up depending on epoxy/fiberglass, size etc....

• 4 years later...

I have surfed all my life (shortboards) East coast USA, west coast, spain, france, bali, south america, lived on Oahu, Hawaii for 11 years and regularly surfed south and north shores, sometimes makaha. Eukai, sunset, velzland, etc etc. I admit I was not interested in life and death BIG waves, but to 8-10 maximum.

Phuket gets some fun waves, chest to head high, decent power, don't worry about helicopter rescue.

Sorry I am not a "real surfer"