Cloud Seeding

LeungKen

Does anyone know if cloud seeding is at the stage whereby the current government would consider it as an option to reduce numbers at the upcoming demonstration, or am I reading to much sci-fi conspiracy theory stuff ? :)

This report from 2005 from the BBC seems to indicate the idea works

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4358535.stm

However from what little I know the cloud conditions would have to be right for it to work, but in the last 10 mins it has started raining here in Nth Phuket........ :)

Now all they need to do is fine tune the target range........... :D

This cloud seeding business is actually true. There are those who believe it has been used by a certain Australian timber company to get more rain in the areas where they own forest plantations.

I dont think it will even be needed in BK though..correct me if wrong but i believe it rained on nearly every occasion the reds had a gathering last year

This cloud seeding business is actually true. There are those who believe it has been used by a certain Australian timber company to get more rain in the areas where they own forest plantations.

I dont think it will even be needed in BK though..correct me if wrong but i believe it rained on nearly every occasion the reds had a gathering last year

Maybe they have already thought of it then.

Was there not a hailstorm on a yellow protest once?

:) Te Chinese used a bit to much and got a bit to much snow the last time they tried it. I don't know what else they have put inside but it seemed as if some chemicals used do no good to the plants and the people.

It's an interesting idea, but I think you are reading to much sci-fi conspiracy theory stuff.

Cloud seeding to create rain is a real science Garry and is used, His Majesty is accredited with it.

Yes. I know, it's been done in Thailand for years and HM is a great supporter of it. But cloud seeding so it would rain on demonstrators, that's a bit far fetched.

It's an interesting idea, but I think you are reading to much sci-fi conspiracy theory stuff.

Cloud seeding to create rain is a real science Garry and is used, His Majesty is accredited with it.

Yes. I know, it's been done in Thailand for years and HM is a great supporter of it. But cloud seeding so it would rain on demonstrators, that's a bit far fetched.

I think that Ken's OP was a tad tongue in cheek mate.

Actually some Reds have put forth this conspiracy theory already. They have complained that it rained on their events too often! (looking at the 10 day forecast never ocurs to them before a rally, apparently!)

hmmm I think you only really need humidity and the chemicals :)

Cloud seeding is the process of spreading either dry ice (or more commonly, silver iodide aerosols) into the upper part of clouds to try to stimulate the precipitation process and form rain. Since most rainfall starts through the growth of ice crystals from super-cooled cloud droplets (droplets colder than the freezing point, 32 deg. F) in the upper parts of clouds, the silver iodide particles are meant to encourage the growth of new ice particles. The history of cloud seeding has seen uncertain results because even if a cloud rains after seeding, it is not known whether the cloud would have rained anyway.

cloud_seeding.jpg

source http://www.weatherquestions.com

I think that Ken's OP was a tad tongue in cheek mate.

From what little I understand of the process it seems that is more than possible to achieve maybe a 50/50 success rate, however I suppose I was looking at whether it perhaps came up as a topic of discussion at one of the Government Discussions on how to control protester numbers at the forthcoming rally.

Whilst it is a teensy-weenie bit "T.I.C.", I think the idea has merit as a crowd control tool and thought I'd post it as a topic for discussion without it getting too heavy, we have enough threads of slagging-off already thanks.

Cheers & Don't forget your "Brolly"

Unfortunately it was not HM who discovered cloud seeding.

Quote..Vincent Schaefer (1906–1993) discovered the principle of cloud seeding in July 1946 through a series of serendipitous events.

i think many here are overlooking the fact that the heat, dehydration and hypoxia were the biggest threats the protesters faced. the rain has made life easier in many ways today.

i think many here are overlooking the fact that the heat, dehydration and hypoxia were the biggest threats the protesters faced. the rain has made life easier in many ways today.

Exactly! If the government had the power to do this, don't you think they would have started it on the first day of protests? Keeping them wet would make for a more miserable time for them. This was probably refreshing for them, but it makes it difficult to make a statement with liquid, when it's raining...

Maybe the red shirts have the power to make it rain! They should protest in the drought areas!

Edited by Meridian007

• 2 weeks later...