The 2010 Formula One Season

Deeply frustrating that was. Not so much Lewis going out, but Alonso having not done much besides hold station, taking all the plaudits and waving on the final lap like he had won - how i prayed for a Mansell in Canada like moment!

Well done to Mark.

P.S. Let us know how you get on Mosha. I've had malaria so appreciate how you must be feeling. Get well soon mate.

Edited by rixalex

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am going to stick my neck out and say that if it's raining then I will predict Vettel, Alonso, and Jenson but not necessarily in that order, dry race then I think it will be Sebastion, Lewis and Jenson in that order :) anyone else want to stick their neck out :D

When I read this I thought to myself Webber to win but didn't have the balls to say so.

I didn't see the race live but caught it today on replay. Agreed Vettel is special but Mark proved in this race though he may be under his shadow and somewhat underrated he can nonetheless deliver the goods. He was a class apart in this race.

Deeply frustrating that was. Not so much Lewis going out, but Alonso having not done much besides hold station, taking all the plaudits and waving on the final lap like he had won - how i prayed for a Mansell in Canada like moment!

mmm.........a little churlish considering :

1. He was mostly responding to the plaudits of the highly partisan and vocal crowd

2. As a Spaniard he'd just finished 2nd in the Spanish GP (where was Massa in the same car ?)

Think how Hamilton would behave in the same situation at Silverstone ?

Well done to Mark.

Absolutely, and great for the championship too !

I say good luck to any driver that wins a race, I must confess to seeing a certain similarity between Mark this season and part of last season to Jenson during the recent past, Jenson achieved very little in his career upto the time he drove the race winning Brawn and of course this years Maclaren with Mark sharing the same scenario with his career until the recent jump in performance of the Red Bull car.

I wonder if we will hear from the Jenson detractors in regard to the possible ongoing success of Mr. Webber although I have always believed that any number of drivers could win the W.D.C. given the right car.

I still believe that Sebastion has that little something extra over his team mate.

A little bit disappointed with Lewis feeling the need to ask his crew over the radio to inform Charley that a certain driver was driving dangerously, but of course Lewis has never done that, I am certain that the stewards are capable of seeing what is going on in the race, or was it just a case of Lewis being unfairly {in his eyes} of being held help, maybe others have an opinion.

mmm.........a little churlish considering :

1. He was mostly responding to the plaudits of the highly partisan and vocal crowd

2. As a Spaniard he'd just finished 2nd in the Spanish GP (where was Massa in the same car ?)

Think how Hamilton would behave in the same situation at Silverstone ?

I don't know how Hamilton would behave in the same situation but i do know that waving to the fans before the race has ended is a daft thing to do. I was a Mansell fan when he did it in Canada and yet felt no pity for him when his car pettered out on the final lap. A reward for arrogance. Finish the race first, then worry about the fans.

I must confess i do also habour bad feelings about some of the Spanish fans. Firstly because before Alonso came on the scene, many Spanish motor enthusiasts were only interested in Moto GP (where Spanish riders have enjoyed a degree of success) and looked down on F1 as being boring. F1 races in Spain were poorly attended. Then Alonso becomes famous and all of a sudden they love F1? In footballing terms these fans are what we call glory hunters, or fair-weather fans. Of course every country has them, i don't dispute that, but perhaps there are more in Spain. I certainly feel that in England support for F1 has remained pretty high even during the lean years in terms of English drivers (of course English teams have always been quite successful, but that's not quite the same as having a successful English driver to cheer on).

Anyway, when you combine the glory-hunter mentality with the racism that i have seen not only at F1 events, but also football matches in Spain, and you have a group of people, albeit a minority of that group, for whom i have little time and for whom i won't be sad to see the back of when Alonso's time ends.

I still believe that Sebastion has that little something extra over his team mate.

For me there is no doubt.

A little bit disappointed with Lewis feeling the need to ask his crew over the radio to inform Charley that a certain driver was driving dangerously, but of course Lewis has never done that, I am certain that the stewards are capable of seeing what is going on in the race, or was it just a case of Lewis being unfairly {in his eyes} of being held help, maybe others have an opinion.

Disappointing, yes i agree. A bit like in football when a player mimicks holding up a card to try and get the ref to card someone. In terms of the incident itself, i think Lewis had a good point - it was a daft bit of driving and i think had evasive action not been taken in time, or had the evasive action taken Lewis and Vettel out, i think a penalty would have been given. Still, either way, drivers should concentrate on what they are doing and let race stewards sort out this sort of stuff.

I don't know how Hamilton would behave in the same situation but i do know that waving to the fans before the race has ended is a daft thing to do. I was a Mansell fan when he did it in Canada and yet felt no pity for him when his car pettered out on the final lap. A reward for arrogance. Finish the race first, then worry about the fans.

I must confess i do also habour bad feelings about some of the Spanish fans. Firstly because before Alonso came on the scene, many Spanish motor enthusiasts were only interested in Moto GP (where Spanish riders have enjoyed a degree of success) and looked down on F1 as being boring. F1 races in Spain were poorly attended. Then Alonso becomes famous and all of a sudden they love F1? In footballing terms these fans are what we call glory hunters, or fair-weather fans. Of course every country has them, i don't dispute that, but perhaps there are more in Spain. I certainly feel that in England support for F1 has remained pretty high even during the lean years in terms of English drivers (of course English teams have always been quite successful, but that's not quite the same as having a successful English driver to cheer on).

Anyway, when you combine the glory-hunter mentality with the racism that i have seen not only at F1 events, but also football matches in Spain, and you have a group of people, albeit a minority of that group, for whom i have little time and for whom i won't be sad to see the back of when Alonso's time ends.

Yeah..........on reflection you're right, what do racist Spaniards know about F1 anyway ?

I tend to agree, but he's struggling to find some consistency so far this season for whatever reason.

Disappointing, yes i agree. A bit like in football when a player mimicks holding up a card to try and get the ref to card someone. In terms of the incident itself, i think Lewis had a good point - it was a daft bit of driving and i think had evasive action not been taken in time, or had the evasive action taken Lewis and Vettel out, i think a penalty would have been given. Still, either way, drivers should concentrate on what they are doing and let race stewards sort out this sort of stuff.

Typical Hamilton stuff, he ain't gonna change anytime soon.

I tend to agree, but he's struggling to find some consistency so far this season for whatever reason.

Yes i agree, although it should also be pointed out that he's had some bad luck to contend with too.

I feel sorry for the drivers of the new cars at the back of the grid. They MUST have been told to get out of the way of the 'top' drivers at all costs.

Until this year, the back markers let a 'lapping' car by as soon as practical (as long as it was within 2 flags). This worked v well, and the lapping car had a pretty good idea what the car being lapped was going to do. This season, they go way beyond this - almost coming to a stop as soon as a 'top' car approaches, even if they are not being lapped! IMO the Vettel/Hamilton/new car (can't remember the details) is a good example of this.

Or is it just me that's seeing this?

I feel sorry for the drivers of the new cars at the back of the grid. They MUST have been told to get out of the way of the 'top' drivers at all costs.

Until this year, the back markers let a 'lapping' car by as soon as practical (as long as it was within 2 flags). This worked v well, and the lapping car had a pretty good idea what the car being lapped was going to do. This season, they go way beyond this - almost coming to a stop as soon as a 'top' car approaches, even if they are not being lapped! IMO the Vettel/Hamilton/new car (can't remember the details) is a good example of this.

Or is it just me that's seeing this?

Now you mention it, yes i think you are right, there has been a change in the way the so called "back-markers" deal with fast approaching front-runners. Whether it's a directive from the FIA, or whether they simply are driving such terrible cars and have one objective: keep the car on the track and get to the finish without incident, i'm not sure.

Well done to Mark.

P.S. Let us know how you get on Mosha. I've had malaria so appreciate how you must be feeling. Get well soon mate.

It's not Malaria, but my white cell count is down. Temp is 37. They don't worry until it's 37.5, I wish teyd start to worry. There is only so much worrying a bloke can do on his tod. :)

It's not Malaria, but my white cell count is down. Temp is 37. They don't worry until it's 37.5, I wish teyd start to worry. There is only so much worrying a bloke can do on his tod. :)

What are they saying it is then mate?

Presumably they have you on a hundred and one little tablets. Are they working?

Webber does it again, pole and out quals Vettel, great job!

Kubica 2nd, Vettel 3rd

Alonso may have taken himself out of the running for a podium, he was quick in the practice sessions

some of those boats look so expensive, arh to dream eh?

Webber does it again, pole and out quals Vettel, great job!

Kubica 2nd, Vettel 3rd

Alonso may have taken himself out of the running for a podium, he was quick in the practice sessions

some of those boats look so expensive, arh to dream eh?

Yeah, Mark's on fire at the moment and didn't Kubica do well ?

I noticed the Renault GP2 car won from 2nd on the grid, could that be a portent of things to come ?

Congrats to Mark. Vettel won't be liking this. Can see him battling very hard today to try and regain the upper ground he once had. Danger is him pushing too hard.

Hoping for a good race. Monaco is always special, if not sometimes processional.

Congrats to Mark. Vettel won't be liking this. Can see him battling very hard today to try and regain the upper ground he once had. Danger is him pushing too hard.

Hoping for a good race. Monaco is always special, if not sometimes processional.

im sure there will be some crashes in this race if practice was anything to go by, a few of them getting twitchy on the backend

im sure there will be some crashes in this race if practice was anything to go by, a few of them getting twitchy on the backend

Indeed. Some nice catches. Only so many times you can catch a loose back end though. Wonder how many times we'll see the safety car?

Alonso might be in for a frustrating day at the office. I do hope so. :)

Indeed. Some nice catches. Only so many times you can catch a loose back end though. Wonder how many times we'll see the safety car?

Alonso might be in for a frustrating day at the office. I do hope so. :D

rixalex, it wasn't that many years ago that another Ferrari driver started in the pit lane at Monaco and guess where he finished at the end.

As a person, I really don't see Fernando as being any worse than a few other prima donnas out there and perhaps that is the secret behind their success, take the top 3 consistant drivers in recent seasons ie; Michael, Lewis , Alonso, all have been in some controversial situations in various forms, most other drivers albeit very skilled and I do have the highest regard for anyone capable of driving a F1 are hardly characters that generate a feeling of loyalty.

Take the last 20yrs and all of the top drivers who readily spring to mind were very confrontational and controversial, Prost, Senna, Mansell and the rest were frequently also rans. :)

rixalex, it wasn't that many years ago that another Ferrari driver started in the pit lane at Monaco and guess where he finished at the end.

It's always possible wacky, but it relies on a very large slice of good fortune.

As a person, I really don't see Fernando as being any worse than a few other prima donnas out there and perhaps that is the secret behind their success, take the top 3 consistant drivers in recent seasons ie; Michael, Lewis , Alonso, all have been in some controversial situations in various forms, most other drivers albeit very skilled and I do have the highest regard for anyone capable of driving a F1 are hardly characters that generate a feeling of loyalty.

Take the last 20yrs and all of the top drivers who readily spring to mind were very confrontational and controversial, Prost, Senna, Mansell and the rest were frequently also rans. :)

I accept what you say in that there most likely needs to be something of a ruthless, selfish streak in a driver, or for that matter any sportsperson, for them to be the best of the best. However, the way that you lumped all the top drivers together in the above, does not seem to be consistent with views that you have previously expressed.

Whilst you have often been very outspoken in your views of Senna, Schumi and Hamilton in terms of what you dislike about them, or should i say what you dislike about their driving styles, the moment that Alonso's name comes up, whilst you admit to some of his failings, there's always something a bit defensive about your view on him. The above is no exception.

I have no problem with anyone who wants to take a stand against prima donnas in the sport, i just think that if they want to do that it shouldn't include exceptions for which they have a soft spot. :D

5th :) had he not parked his car on the race track he most likely would have won. Marshall's are on the ball, lost count of how many 'drive throw' there was yesterday in GP2

I accept what you say in that there most likely needs to be something of a ruthless, selfish streak in a driver, or for that matter any sportsperson, for them to be the best of the best. However, the way that you lumped all the top drivers together in the above, does not seem to be consistent with views that you have previously expressed.

Whilst you have often been very outspoken in your views of Senna, Schumi and Hamilton in terms of what you dislike about them, or should i say what you dislike about their driving styles, the moment that Alonso's name comes up, whilst you admit to some of his failings, there's always something a bit defensive about your view on him. The above is no exception.

I have no problem with anyone who wants to take a stand against prima donnas in the sport, i just think that if they want to do that it shouldn't include exceptions for which they have a soft spot. :)

The simple reason that I lumped Michael, Lewis and Fernando together is because others deem them to be controversial drivers too in their actions, as with Alonso most of the anti spanish feelings appear to emanate from the so called spying case between Ferrari and Maclaren but not having all the facts at my disposal like most people and not actually knowing what is fiction or fact then I will reserve judgement on Alonso's behaviour in that matter.

Your absolutely right in your statement concerning Senna, Shumacher and Lewis but entirely wrong in your assumption of my dislike in respect of their driving style, it is their character that I question, all 3 have appeared to want to win at any cost and often at the expense of a lesser driver, and Lewis has been involved in a couple of incidents in recent races, whereas Alonso has not had such incidents to my limited recollections, of being a driver of that ilk, with the possible exception of him passing Massa on the way to the pits which pissed Massa off but it seems strange that Ferrari changed the tyres on the tarmac from Massa to Alonso so quick so at a guess it could have been down to last minute team orders.

My view is and always will be that any winner of any sporting event should do so fairly and that does include Alonso, although if your asking who I would have liked to support it would have been Lewis but unfortunately I do not like him as a person from what I have read and heard {to a large extent, hearsay} I prefer to support Jenson but feel he is not as talented as Lewis but as a non british driver it would be Sebastion and as I'm sure your aware I have said that he is the driver to watch. :D

5th :D had he not parked his car on the race track he most likely would have won. Marshall's are on the ball, lost count of how many 'drive throw' there was yesterday in GP2

Proof if it was needed of what he was prepared to do to win at all costs, certainly one of the top if not the very best F1 drivers of all time but what a flawed character. :)

The simple reason that I lumped Michael, Lewis and Fernando together is because others deem them to be controversial drivers too in their actions, as with Alonso most of the anti spanish feelings appear to emanate from the so called spying case between Ferrari and Maclaren but not having all the facts at my disposal like most people and not actually knowing what is fiction or fact then I will reserve judgement on Alonso's behaviour in that matter.

Your absolutely right in your statement concerning Senna, Shumacher and Lewis but entirely wrong in your assumption of my dislike in respect of their driving style, it is their character that I question, all 3 have appeared to want to win at any cost and often at the expense of a lesser driver, and Lewis has been involved in a couple of incidents in recent races, whereas Alonso has not had such incidents to my limited recollections, of being a driver of that ilk, with the possible exception of him passing Massa on the way to the pits which pissed Massa off but it seems strange that Ferrari changed the tyres on the tarmac from Massa to Alonso so quick so at a guess it could have been down to last minute team orders.

My view is and always will be that any winner of any sporting event should do so fairly and that does include Alonso, although if your asking who I would have liked to support it would have been Lewis but unfortunately I do not like him as a person from what I have read and heard {to a large extent, hearsay} I prefer to support Jenson but feel he is not as talented as Lewis but as a non british driver it would be Sebastion and as I'm sure your aware I have said that he is the driver to watch. :D

Thanks for your reply and respect as always.

On a more important note, any news on Mosha? Worried about him. :)

rixalex, I emailed Moshe this morning and am waiting for a reply, also tried phoning him but no answer, will try again later. :)

Thanks David. Please let us know when you have some news. Hope wherever Mosha is and however he is feeling, he is in good enough shape to enjoy the race today.

what can you say, Webber looks so good in that Red Bull now, Vettel just couldnt keep up, or is it due to the track with the start stop nature? Webber seems to be getting better with each race

credit to the modern design of these F1 cars, with Trullis car launching right over Chandhocks head!!

great drive/tactics from Alonso up 18 places with the help of the safety car, pity its near impossible to pass when cars are closely matched

did anyone see Barricello throw his steering wheel out after crashing out? Another car came and ran over it a second later.