Rabbit Casserole

millwall_fan

Our Sunday Lunch special here at The Olde Bell Today (Sunday 14th) is Rabbit Casserole.

I made one last week as a try out and it was aroy maak Todays will also be made by my own fair hand as my chef - not usually a squeamish woman'- cant stand the sight of a rabbit!

It'll be served from 1pm until its gone!

If you con't fancy rabbit there are the usual Sunday lunch staples of Roast Beeg, Roast Pork or Roast Chicken. They usually last into teh early evening so why not check us out to wathc the Bahrain Grand Prix?

I had polenta and rabbit at a grotto in Mendrisio (Switzerland) on Thursday. Delicious.

Didn't I read that Australia is overrun by rabbits? The Aussies should learn to eat rabbits.

--

Maestro

Sounds delicious. My mom used to make rabbit with mushrooms when I was a child (hey, we were poor; we ate anything that drew breath) I hope to be able to get in to try it! Oh and no bad luck befell us (except for being poor, but that wasn't the rabbit's fault)

Evil to eat rabbit. Worst of luck to anyone who tries it as well as this establishment whereever it is. Not a place I'll be going.

if eating rabbit is worst of luck i'd be one of the most unlucky man walking this planet. growing up as a poor boy in a poor family in post war Germany i did not see any other meat than rabbit meat on my plate for years.

p.s. last time i checked (a couple of minutes ago) i wasn't unlucky at all even though my wife buys rabbit for me in Makro and our cook prepares a variety of delicious meals (crumb fried, charcoal grilled and rabbit curry indian style).

pps. eat your heart out Jumbo! :)

ppps. my dogs have some good time fighting over the rabbit's head. he who cracks it first gets the brains.

Funny rabbit story, a friend and I were talking about the various game we'd eaten and I said I hadn't ever tried rabbit (just a normal middle class suburban American girl Naam) and my friend said he had eaten it when he was young. My husband looked at us with a horrified look on his face and said, "You eat BUNNIES?" :)

Funny rabbit story, a friend and I were talking about the various game we'd eaten and I said I hadn't ever tried rabbit (just a normal middle class suburban American girl Naam) and my friend said he had eaten it when he was young. My husband looked at us with a horrified look on his face and said, "You eat BUNNIES?" :D

SBK,

having been exposed many years to the dos and don'ts of the Greatest Nation on Earth™i am well aware that its citizens don't eat "bunnies" or "bambis". the list is actually much longer and includes (amongst others) pigeon and eel. when my son sent me years ago smoked eel (an expensive delicacy in Europe and Japan) as a Christmas present by courier to Florida one of my neighbours was horrified when i wanted to share with him. but the other batch of my american friends wouldn't have minded as they enjoy to eat squirrel, turtle, gator, copper heads and raw deer liver after we gone huntin' and similar out of range goodies. they 'is' all down to earth rednecks (northern Florida, Georgia and Ahlabahmah). i always look forward to enjoy their company once a year for a couple of weeks and my favourite pasttime is the proverbial count how many cars on cement blocks in front/backyard and how many white goods on their porches. :)

Funny rabbit story, a friend and I were talking about the various game we'd eaten and I said I hadn't ever tried rabbit (just a normal middle class suburban American girl Naam) and my friend said he had eaten it when he was young. My husband looked at us with a horrified look on his face and said, "You eat BUNNIES?" :D

SBK,

having been exposed many years to the dos and don'ts of the Greatest Nation on Earth™i am well aware that its citizens don't eat "bunnies" or "bambis". the list is actually much longer and includes (amongst others) pigeon and eel. when my son sent me years ago smoked eel (an expensive delicacy in Europe and Japan) as a Christmas present by courier to Florida one of my neighbours was horrified when i wanted to share with him. but the other batch of my american friends wouldn't have minded as they enjoy to eat squirrel, turtle, gator, copper heads and raw deer liver after we gone huntin' and similar out of range goodies. they 'is' all down to earth rednecks (northern Florida, Georgia and Ahlabahmah). i always look forward to enjoy their company once a year for a couple of weeks and my favourite pasttime is the proverbial count how many cars on cement blocks in front/backyard and how many white goods on their porches. :)

I grew up in S. Louisiana and we had rabbit frequently during the winter rabbit season. My Thai GF was shocked when I pointed to some rabbits for sale on Sukhumvit 77 as if I would eat someone's pet. Same as Isaan, protein is protein; and tasty at that. Cheers.

lapin moutarde - baked in foil - bloody delicious! Its the only way IMO! boiled rabbit is too stringy.

lapin-moutarde.jpg

Didn't I read that Australia is overrun by rabbits? The Aussies should learn to eat rabbits.

Sure should, although not sure if I'd want to eat :) myxomatosisised bunny.

Kangaroo meat is delicious - the bangers were a bit too gamey, but the steaks... oh bloody lovely. no fat. true super food.

now for some otters noses, and wolf nipple chips. yum.

Edited by whiterussian

SBK,

My husband is Thai, Naam. and I am not from the southern part of the US :D

I bought a bunny for my 8 year old daughter at Easter. Bugs was a house pet for 9 years. They make good pets, she paper trained it so no problems with the little marbles. They are like cats without the attitude :-) The thing is they are not meaty

they are a big ball of fur. You can feel their bones when you pat them. Other than the talking experience I can see no need

to eat one unless it is for survival. :-)

cmdream.

re .... They are like cats without the attitude :-)

the attitude of this 8 month old tabby cat ( whos just been steralised ) to the rabbit which was bigger than she was .

how do i attack this thing ?

in the end she decided not to tackle something bigger than her

both survived .

dave2

What an interesting range of comments. Of course there is a diiference between your pet bunny and the rabbits I cooked today. The general concensus was positive: The red wine and garlic infuse into the rabbit during cooking creating a lovely flavour. Add roast potatoes and Yorkshire puds and the taste was great!

Next Sunday, we are not going to be quite so adventurous! Roast Garlic Lamb (slivers of garlic pressed into the lamb prior to roasting) is the special. Of course we still have our regular offerings of Roast Beef, Roast Pork or Roast Chicken, so there's really something for everyone at

The Olde Bell for Sunday Lunch!

What an interesting range of comments. Of course there is a diiference between your pet bunny and the rabbits I cooked today. The general concensus was positive: The red wine and garlic infuse into the rabbit during cooking creating a lovely flavour. Add roast potatoes and Yorkshire puds and the taste was great!

Next Sunday, we are not going to be quite so adventurous! Roast Garlic Lamb (slivers of garlic pressed into the lamb prior to roasting) is the special. Of course we still have our regular offerings of Roast Beef, Roast Pork or Roast Chicken, so there's really something for everyone at

The Olde Bell for Sunday Lunch!

Good on ya !!!

Cymru am bath...........

I'll be there for another breakfast soon ( best in chiangmai by the way......)

Thanks for the music..........

phil