Thaivisa V Google!

Rags

The combined knowledge and experience of the ThaiVisa membership provides a great source of up-to-date information for Thai related issues, and the opinions, debates, discussions and rants that appear on the website are also very entertaining. :o

There do however appear to be a lot of general questions posted on the forum that one would have thought could easily have been answered by a few mouse-clicks on Google. Yet the poster’s first thought is to ask the members of ThaiVisa!

Maybe this is an encouraging sign that the ThaiVisa community is now considered to be the fount of all knowledge, or are people just getting too lazy to surf the internet by themselves?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rags, ask your visa question on Google and I assure you that 9 time out of 10 it will pop up with a thaivisa.com response...why go the extra click when it is all here? :o

give it a try and prove me wrong?

(disclaimer, when I say 9/10 I mean the first response from google)

Rags, ask your visa question on Google and I assure you that 9 time out of 10 it will pop up with a thaivisa.com response...why go the extra click when it is all here?  :D

Or, when sh1t hits the fan in a breaking situation, TV (ThaiVisa tm;) is the place to be :D . Bots are hours behind (altho I bet one recorded that just now... :o)

Edited by bahtandsold

Rags, ask your visa question on Google and I assure you that 9 time out of 10 it will pop up with a thaivisa.com response...why go the extra click when it is all here?  :D

Or, when sh1t hits the fan in a breaking situation, TV (ThaiVisa tm;) is the place to be :D . Bots are hours behind (altho I bet one recorded that just now... :o)

Holy flip, you're right (just checked). I thought the Googlebot scanned sites on a weekly or monthly basis.

Is ThaiVisa the norm or an exception to the rule?

Maybe, like most, we just prefer to ask our mates first.

So long as we treat all advice with the same scepticism we treat our mates’, what’s the problem?

Anyway, Google is far from perfect - you'll have to search elsewhere on Thaivisa to find out why.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

give it a try and prove me wrong?

(disclaimer, when I say 9/10 I mean the first response from google)

Especially with all the inane questions asked here.... Give it a try and prove me right :o

I'd say there's a much higher ratio of useless garbage than valuable info at both places, so some may choose to minimize wading through the garbage by asking questions directly here, but that certainly in no way can suggest any responses won't simply be more to wade through, in my experience. :D

Like this response. Sorry that some poor sod'll have to wade through this someday :D

Agreed :D . If you want info on Thai Visas, then Thai Visa is the place to come :D

I was referring more to the general topics, where I would personally do a quick Google before troubling the good people of TV. :o

Agreed :D . If you want info on Thai Visas, then Thai Visa is the place to come :D

I was referring more to the general topics, where I would personally do a quick Google before troubling the good people of TV. :o

Can't say I have tried it yet, but I would imagine the same would apply.

Lets give it a shot.

What are we looking for?

and how are we going to word it in google?

Unless I'm looking for something based in the last 24 hours, I use something like this:

google.com/search?q=site%3Athaivisa.com+YOURTEXTHERE

Well okay not literally, I go to my google searchbox and use the "site:" function, but you get the idea. Point is, most people don't know how to use Google. In the future, hopefully schools will teach a practical subject called something like "Information gathering".

Unless I'm looking for something based in the last 24 hours, I use something like this:

Well okay not literally, I go to my google searchbox and use the "site:" function, but you get the idea. Point is, most people don't know how to use Google. In the future, hopefully schools will teach a practical subject called something like "Information gathering".

I agree, I sat a course during my electronic engineering degree that taught us how to search the internet (this is a while ago mind you). It was most useful. I learnt tips that the everyday Joe would not think about.

The internet is a great tool if you know how to search properly.

As you say, most do not, although they think they do. Google for example has a lot more features that we do not regualarly see, or understand.

It really is worth looking into.

As an addition to my previous post, I spent a long time searching the internet for thai visa info, but didn't want to get involved in a forum (chat room as far as I was concerned), I ended up here, and am now a mod.

How many of you were familiar with forums/boards/chat rooms before you joined TV? is this your first, like me?

(btw, for those that wonder why a first timer can become a mod, look at how long I have been a member, and my post count :o )

Every time someone posts praising Google, I feel compelled to write, Google is not the Library of Congress.

Google creates a deal of criticism throughout the web community. Please see:

http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue39/search-engines/ for an academic approach to this criticism.

http://www.google-watch.org/index.html an organisation that monitors Google's activities, particularly on privacy issues.

Should you wish to use a search engine that uses Google but eliminates these privacy issues, try:

http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

Googled for "The Other Mac".

VittlesVamp: The "Other" Mac n' Cheese Recipe

That wasn't the result I was expecting :D

But must be better for you right? :o

By the way, G knows his google stuff. A site cannot get this popular without knowing it.

All hail George :D

Holy flip, you're right (just checked). I thought the Googlebot scanned sites on a weekly or monthly basis.

Bots LOVE TV Insight, highest english traffic in Thailand if I recall. They're doin' their thang as we speak and report in hours (vs days or months on other sites). A webmasters dream to have them practically in residence. You don't have to moderate them and as long as you feed 'em lots, they don't complain :D

PS: Tuky, in answer to your post, was on an alt.politics board in the old days, what a riot! (literally) Moderation? Naaaa :D

Or, when sh1t hits the fan in a breaking situation, TV (ThaiVisa tm;) is the place to be :D . Bots are hours behind (altho I bet one recorded that just now... :D)

Bots LOVE TV Insight, highest english traffic in Thailand if I recall. They're doin' their thang as we speak and report in hours (vs days or months on other sites). A webmasters dream to have them practically in residence. You don't have to moderate them and as long as you feed 'em lots, they don't complain :D

PS: Tuky, in answer to your post, was on an alt.politics board in the old days, what a riot! (literally) Moderation? Naaaa :D

Noted BNS, thanks for the info.

Was thinking that perhaps adding the Google Search facility may also have something to do with it. As it's also promoting Google, Google then have an obligation

to update its indexes of ThaiVisa more frequently...?

Just curious :o:D

From "Advertise on ThaiVisa.com" (http://www.thaivisa.com/576.0.html):

Searches in major search engines which include the word “Thailand” result in access to Thaivisa.com in most searches, from all search engines, because Google carries over 19,000 pages of Thaivisa in its’ database. Thaivisa.com is designed to be user friendly, and at the same search engine friendly.

Relevant content.

A lot of it.

Many referals from other sites.

Constant growth.

That does the job. By the way, how many years does this forum exist?

Edited by ~G~

I agree, I sat a course during my electronic engineering degree that taught us how to search the internet (this is a while ago mind you). It was most useful. I learnt tips that the everyday Joe would not think about.

The internet is a great tool if you know how to search properly.

As you say, most do not, although they think they do. Google for example has a lot more features that we do not regualarly see, or understand.

It really is worth looking into.

I created a very basic page for students about how to do a basic search on Google.

I would appreciate any comments on how to improve it. http://asiarecipe.com/search1.html

Edited by Ajarn

Or, when sh1t hits the fan in a breaking situation, TV (ThaiVisa tm;) is the place to be :D . Bots are hours behind (altho I bet one recorded that just now... :D)

Noted BNS, thanks for the info.

Was thinking that perhaps adding the Google Search facility may also have something to do with it. As it's also promoting Google, Google then have an obligation

to update its indexes of ThaiVisa more frequently...?

Just curious :o:D

Time and Content are the only real 'tricks' to getting in search engines, in my experience. Google is sending bots out constantly, and many sites get googled more than once per day... The indexing is done about once per month, as I understand it. I had two months where my google referrals dropped by a consitent approx 50%.. 60 days later, almost to the day, it changed and went back to normal and expected levels.

Edited by Ajarn

I just googled "Thomas Merton"

Did you really say all this , Tom

Thomas Merton Quotes

A daydream is an evasion.

Thomas Merton

A life is either all spiritual or not spiritual at all. No man can serve two masters. Your life is shaped by the end you live for. You are made in the image of what you desire.

Thomas Merton

Advertising treats all products with the reverence and the seriousness due to sacraments.

Thomas Merton

An author in a Trappist monastery is like a duck in a chicken coop. And he would give anything in the world to be a chicken instead of a duck.

Thomas Merton

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.

Thomas Merton

Be good, keep your feet dry, your eyes open, your heart at peace and your soul in the joy of Christ.

Thomas Merton

By reading the scriptures I am so renewed that all nature seems renewed around me and with me. The sky seems to be a pure, a cooler blue, the trees a deeper green. The whole world is charged with the glory of God and I feel fire and music under my feet.

Thomas Merton

Death is someone you see very clearly with eyes in the center of your heart: eyes that see not by reacting to light, but by reacting to a kind of a chill from within the marrow of your own life.

Thomas Merton

I cannot make the universe obey me. I cannot make other people conform to my own whims and fancies. I cannot make even my own body obey me.

Thomas Merton

I just googled "Thomas Merton"

Did you really say all this , Tom

Thomas Merton Quotes

A daydream is an evasion.

Thomas Merton

A life is either all spiritual or not spiritual at all. No man can serve two masters. Your life is shaped by the end you live for. You are made in the image of what you desire.

Thomas Merton

Advertising treats all products with the reverence and the seriousness due to sacraments.

Thomas Merton

An author in a Trappist monastery is like a duck in a chicken coop. And he would give anything in the world to be a chicken instead of a duck.

Thomas Merton

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.

Thomas Merton

Be good, keep your feet dry, your eyes open, your heart at peace and your soul in the joy of Christ.

Thomas Merton

By reading the scriptures I am so renewed that all nature seems renewed around me and with me. The sky seems to be a pure, a cooler blue, the trees a deeper green. The whole world is charged with the glory of God and I feel fire and music under my feet.

Thomas Merton

Death is someone you see very clearly with eyes in the center of your heart: eyes that see not by reacting to light, but by reacting to a kind of a chill from within the marrow of your own life.

Thomas Merton

I cannot make the universe obey me. I cannot make other people conform to my own whims and fancies. I cannot make even my own body obey me.

Thomas Merton

That's the TM in the avatar, who also died in Bangkok in 1968.

Wasn't such a daft bloke, was he?

You should try reading some of his books.