Thaivisa V Google!

Rags

The combined knowledge and experience of the ThaiVisa membership provides a great source of up-to-date information for Thai related issues, and the opinions, debates, discussions and rants that appear on the website are also very entertaining.  :o

There do however appear to be a lot of general questions posted on the forum that one would have thought could easily have been answered by a few mouse-clicks on Google.  Yet the poster’s first thought is to ask the members of ThaiVisa!

Maybe this is an encouraging sign that the ThaiVisa community is now considered to be the fount of all knowledge, or are people just getting too lazy to surf the internet by themselves?

some posters views on thaivisa posters.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to agree with the Ajarners...Ajarn, pound for pound is far more entertaining than Thai Visa. Too many petty rules and doddery know it alls here, plus Ajarn lets Dirty Dog post his unique brand of swearing, Harry Palmers just been allowed back for more sock colour threads, and we get to see LDMA's scabby feet...what more can you ask for?

Edited by watchman

The combined knowledge and experience of the ThaiVisa membership provides a great source of up-to-date information for Thai related issues, and the opinions, debates, discussions and rants that appear on the website are also very entertaining.  :D

There do however appear to be a lot of general questions posted on the forum that one would have thought could easily have been answered by a few mouse-clicks on Google.  Yet the poster’s first thought is to ask the members of ThaiVisa!

Maybe this is an encouraging sign that the ThaiVisa community is now considered to be the fount of all knowledge, or are people just getting too lazy to surf the internet by themselves?

some posters views on thaivisa posters.

I read the thread. Some valid points and criticisms, in my opinion, but a lot waaay overboard with mass generalizations and whining, ad nauseam... Very little fair or balanced reasoning, it seemed to me.

Hey, just like here! :o

Every time someone posts praising Google, I feel compelled to write, Google is not the Library of Congress.

Google creates a deal of criticism throughout the web community. Please see:

http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue39/search-engines/ for an academic approach to this criticism.

http://www.google-watch.org/index.html an organisation that monitors Google's activities, particularly on privacy issues.

TM - Some interesting and slightly worrying info :o

Please feel free to replace the word "Google" with the phrase "any popular internet search engine" :D

Every time someone posts praising Google, I feel compelled to write, Google is not the Library of Congress.

http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue39/search-engines/ for an academic approach to this criticism.

http://www.google-watch.org/index.html an organisation that monitors Google's activities, particularly on privacy issues.

TM - Some interesting and slightly worrying info :D

Please feel free to replace the word "Google" with the phrase "any popular internet search engine" :D

With respect, you may replace any word with any word you choose. On the other hand, I write what I write. :o

TM - Some interesting and slightly worrying info :D

With respect, you may replace any word with any word you choose. On the other hand, I write what I write. :o

:D Errr OK :D

Maybe the Ajarns are right after all :D

Edited by Rags

You appear to be right Mr RDN - and a few familiar nicks as well

Yes interesting that Thai Visa's own moderator KenKannif is among the critics.

OP Bangkok Phil, who I don't think is upset with TV, just seems to think TV's a bit naff.

I don't think Dirty Dogs contempt for this forum is that much of an eath-shattering revalation do you?

Yes, that Dirty Dog does indeed seem to be a strange chap.

Got to agree with the Ajarners...Ajarn, pound for pound is far more entertaining than Thai Visa. Too many petty rules and doddery know it alls here, plus Ajarn lets Dirty Dog post his unique brand of swearing, Harry Palmers just been allowed back for more sock colour threads, and we get to see LDMA's scabby feet...what more can you ask for?

They seem to be a bunch of namby pamby babies.

This quote from BankokPhil (Who I used to think was human..)

After an hour or so of reading, you never ever leave that forum feeling a better, happier man
:o

where is the bib?

They seem to be a bunch of namby pamby babies.

This quote from BankokPhil (Who I used to think was human..)

After an hour or so of reading, you never ever leave that forum feeling a better, happier man

where is the bib?

BkkPhil is a respected poster on that forum, and its extrememly hard from what I understand to earn respect on that forum when you are cohabiting with a ladyman, yet the posters there do respect him, or was that marko who cohabited with a ladyman?

Old age catching up with me.

Well to save people reading thru all that rubbish at ajarn i shall try to summarise their criticisms of us.

but you never leave feeling a better, happier man.
It's far more sterile than here
Also, far more so than here, people do seem to take pleasure in telling others they're screwed/######ed.
A little too controlled possibly?
I've gone to that forum and I've never really been interested in the topics. I've never found humour. I've never learned much or gained any info. or insight from it.
One of thaivisa's problems is that they're just too big. If you merely post "It was hot here today," ten people can argue that it was mild.
That ######, Dr. Patpong might not be comfortable here.
old guys giving their bargirl wives and girlfriends 20,000+ baht a month allowances, and constantly talking about how it's all about the love and never about the money.
I posted over there once about my failure to report my 90 day residence for over 4 years (my slack-ars#dness and no other excuse) asking for some advice on whether to throw my hands up when I renewed my non-b. The answers ranged from (roughly speaking) "You will be deported" to " Scum like you shouldn't even be in LOS if you can't abide by the rules" Haven't been back to that site since. Depressing place.
PeaceBlondie wrote:

Dr. Patpong might not be comfortable here.

Home sweet home.

id do my best to make sure of that Smile

Well thats the first page, and they have 5 pages of nasty stuff they have written about us. can we sue them?

Just a tiny disclaimer: post #44 on this thread, last quotation, appears to be a mixture of what I said, and what someone else replied. I think Dr. Patpong is very much at home here, and would not be as comfortable over at ajarnforum. We (especailly since we're expatriates or world travellers) left our original home sweet home and found other most comfortable places in Thailand. That doesn't mean we're not welcome to visit other places in Thailand, or that we won't enjoy it. We have our favorites. If any of us don't enjoy/value a forum, we'll stop posting and viewing. I don't intend to leave, unless you care to hound me off.

Enjoy.

I created a very basic page for students about how to do a basic search on Google.

I would appreciate any comments on how to improve it. http://asiarecipe.com/search1.html

Well do you appreciate constructive criticism? (if not don't read further :o as I have 2 points for ya)

#1, Please choose a background that is easyer on the eyes (mine started to hurt after only reading the first set of lines). I know how it can be when making web pages. You think cool stuff like that will impress people; I used to too. It mainly distracts them from the real content you are trying to provide.

A solution would be to use a table such as this:

<table width="500" bgcolor="#000000">
 <tr>
   <td>
     <font face="verdana" size="-1" color="#c0c0c0">
     your text written here
     </font>
   </td>
 </tr>
</table>

That way you can still use your clouds backgroud if you don't want to part with it, but people will be able to stand to read the content.

You can even use tables in side of tables. Just do a search if you want to learn more. I really enjoy using Macromedia Dreamweaver. Non HTML coders can even use it because it has an easy "Word" style of use (I think much like what you are already using).

2#, A re-arangement of your ads might make for a better viewing experience. They look like they were just thrown in on the bottom (which I am sure they were). A little more time spent on arrangement would be a great benefit to the aesthetics of your page.

but you never leave feeling a better, happier man.

&lt;deleted&gt; does he want, entertainment? What a stupid comment!

Thai Visa : 19000 members

Ajarn.com: 1900 memers.

So, who has the right formula??? :D

I thought both forums were set up to provide info relating to working and living here.

Why not go to the P4P forums if they want "entertainment"?

PS, Phil, if you want to feel better, get some antibiotics.

If you want to feel happy, go see "the Life of Brian"...... :o

Edited by udon

The combined knowledge and experience of the ThaiVisa membership provides a great source of up-to-date information for Thai related issues, and the opinions, debates, discussions and rants that appear on the website are also very entertaining.  :D

Are we on the Air ??? :D

Yeah, we are .... :o

They seem to be a little upset with us. Shame. :D

You appear to be right Mr RDN - and a few familiar nicks as well :D

Very familiar... and some interesting posts by some braggarts too... :o

Up to them... but some that post here on TV as well will not be getting much attention from me anymore. :D

&lt;deleted&gt; 'em I say. :D

I created a very basic page for students about how to do a basic search on Google.

I would appreciate any comments on how to improve it. http://asiarecipe.com/search1.html

Well do you appreciate constructive criticism? (if not don't read further :D as I have 2 points for ya)

#1, Please choose a background that is easyer on the eyes (mine started to hurt after only reading the first set of lines). I know how it can be when making web pages. You think cool stuff like that will impress people; I used to too. It mainly distracts them from the real content you are trying to provide.

A solution would be to use a table such as this:

<table width="500" bgcolor="#000000">
 <tr>
   <td>
     <font face="verdana" size="-1" color="#c0c0c0">
     your text written here
     </font>
   </td>
 </tr>
</table>

That way you can still use your clouds backgroud if you don't want to part with it, but people will be able to stand to read the content.

You can even use tables in side of tables. Just do a search if you want to learn more. I really enjoy using Macromedia Dreamweaver. Non HTML coders can even use it because it has an easy "Word" style of use (I think much like what you are already using).

2#, A re-arangement of your ads might make for a better viewing experience. They look like they were just thrown in on the bottom (which I am sure they were). A little more time spent on arrangement would be a great benefit to the aesthetics of your page.

Thanks for your feedback. I was looking more for feedback on what I wrote, but all other constructive feedback is appreciated , too. :o

Are we on the Air ??? :D

Yeah, we are .... :o

Thankyou :D

I thought it was an innocent enough post, querying whether people prefer to dive in and ask the TV crowd, rather than using a search engine for general queries...

But it sure does seem to have gained a life of its own, and started a minor turf war in the process :D

Thanks for your feedback. I was looking more for feedback on what I wrote, but all other constructive feedback is appreciated , too.  :o

Oh, sorry then.

In that case please add some of this stuff

The fact that the goole search can be used as a calculator ie (5+2*2)

And, useage of the following Commands:

define: (Definition of a word)

filetype: (Find only files with a certain extention as in PDF or JPG)

movie: (Search for films related to a specific actor, director or plot )

site: (Search inside of a specific site)

link: (Find out whom is linking to a particular site)

:D

P.S. If you want some help I can, if it is wanted that is. I understand how recieving unwelcomed help feels like. You don't have to tell anyone about it either, can be a little secret.

The fact that the goole search can be used as a calculator ie (5+2*2)

And, useage of the following Commands:

define:    (Definition of a word)

filetype:  (Find only files with a certain extention as in PDF or JPG)

movie:    (Search for films related to a specific actor, director or plot )

site:        (Search inside of a specific site)

link:        (Find out whom is linking to a particular site)

P.S. If you want some help I can, if it is wanted that is.  I understand how recieving unwelcomed help feels like.  You don't have to tell anyone about it either, can be a little secret.

Thanks, again. That particular page is used mostly by true newbies, and I feel that it's most imortant to keep it limited to the very basics. I'm not trying to teach all about google (which I am quite familiar with), I'm just trying to cut down the emails to me asking me to do their school assignment.. "Please send me recipes from Thailand", and the like. With around 1,000,000 pageviews per month now, I get lots of these kinds of emails and, as a teacher myself, I want to teach them to fish so they don't bug for a lifetime :D

link:        (Find out whom is linking to a particular site)

714 sites linking to ThaiVisa.com

3 sites linking to Ajarnforum.net

29 to bangkokpost.com

339 to thailand.com

1460 to sanook.com

48,000 to google.com

128,000 to microsoft.com

481,000 to yahoo.com

Edited by ~G~

:D !@#$@!$#@!$ popups!!!!!!! :D

another site for the blacklist...

:D

Ever heard of a popup blocker :o

it's a great site with great cooking ideas. :D

Shhh.. Don't mention pop-up blockers. Let the whiners whine. :D

I only wish I could put up more banners. There's good reason for them on my site, in my view. Anyone is free to see it differently :D