Thaksin's Rural Red Shirts Swarm The Capital

webfact

I would imagine that rather than increase, the number of protesters will begin to decrease from today. As soon as they leave Ratchadamnoen the ones who have found out they got paid less than others will be tempted to take side roads and head home.

By tomorrow it will be the hardcore element left. It is those that the government worry about the most. However, unless there is a very violent clampdown I think it will mostly fizzle out by Wednesday as many predicted earlier.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will get frustrated. They don't have the majority support or the moral authority to pull off what they are demanding. They do have fermented fish. You figure it out ...

You're wrong again dude - they have majority support in the country as far as people i know - tuk tuks up here are flying red flags - I have yet to find any yellow fellows outside of BKK and this forum

if you are so sure you have a majority why not hold an election according to the norms of acceptable governance under international supervision. If you are right the problem will be resolved. The error in not holding an election after the court declared no Confidence of the previous government . That would be a step in the right direction and Thailand could return to peace amongst its people.

It would be great if all the name calling stopped so that rational discussion. Your post implies you believe you have moral authority. Well if you do then an election would confirm that. On the other hand you must swallow your ego if an election confirms that you have not made rational choices.

Negotiate! Don't be part of the Problem! Be part of a peaceful splution!

I find your post bizarre.

There was an election. Abhisit became PM through a coalition quite legitimately. The Thaksin puppet party almost did so, but it failed.

Majority support -- check the recent polls. Google is your friend. The majority of Thais do NOT support the reds goals.

Moral authority -- I mean Thaksin. A corrupt, cowardly, criminal. A reform movement needs a legitimate leader. Thaksin is clearly not that.

Election supervision -- Thailand won't be inviting the UN in, who are you kidding? You don't understand the xenophobic culture here if you think that would happen.

Negotiate? That's up to the government. However, I think it is clear that Thaksin is not a man that can ever be trusted to negotiate in good faith. He has a long record of deception. What you are really saying is that Abhisit should cave in to an angry mob. He may be forced to, but that is hardly desirable, and hardly democracy.

Solution, schmolution -- what a cliche. See above.

BTW, some excellent western coverage of the red shirt circus, with a great picture slideshow --

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0031400543.html

The court did not delcare no confidence in the last government.

It only found that the PPP broke elections laws with knowledge of the leadership

and so that leadership was banned and the party disolved.

No, 'No confidence vote' was taken. Try and understand the facts,

not simply your wishful thinking.

Only the legislature AKA parliament can declare official no confidence in a government.

Oh, yet the CURRENT government has been subject to multiple attempts by opposition to

remove them with no confidence votes, it has not worked....Be cause they have no valid charges.

So now the opposition tries street rallies and force to remove the current government.

The reds are a street branch of the PTP, a pressure group for a failing political party... nothing more.

This is not about Abhisit swallowing his ego if he loses an election,

but about Thaksin not being able to swallow HIS ego and just let it rest.

If you imaging Thaksins plans rest on firm moral authority you are living in candyland.

Thaksin in any form is very bad for Thailand, and the election laws and general situation

on the ground, are not currently conducive to a fair and proper electoral outcome.

It would be quite violent, and Thaksin clearly would fund that violence, since he is OBVIOUSLY

obsessed with getting his face and power back. No, waiting till end of term is much safer for all,

even with street actions like this. The reds discredit themselves with each day they march inchoherently.

Rebranded or not, the 'Red Causes' are not lead by honest individuals, not at all; liars, cheats and bully boys.

They must be replaced, by sincere honest leaders, until that happens they are lost in the wilderness.

One more year is needed to rid the equation of Thaksin's monomanaical bias towards his own revenge fanatsies.

Edited by animatic

We spoke with some family at the rally last night. They were having a blast. Asked us to come and party with them. Booze flowed freely, though they complained they had to buy their own...guess last rally it was supplied for free? They are heading home today as they are out of money. Took them over 24 hours to get to BKK from Khorat. He made a fair amount of money doing it as he provided his truck. Tough to beat for an out of work guy. Easy money and fun. So much for the masses really caring about what is going on...just following the money as they have pretty much always done...

Same here. My relatives in Chiang Mai were offered 3,000 baht to spend the weekend in Bangkok. One person went and she is due back tomorrow and she reports it's just like one big carnival atmosphere with no serious political discussions going on. The only real minus was that she has trouble sleeping at night (she usually sleeps around 9pm) because of so many people nearby and the loudspeakers go on non-stop.

GREAT Thought, but TIT and I doubt that will EVER happen. Thai people deserve better, but have NO power or representation.

Well that's not true. The same thing will happen in Thailand as in many other countries, the middle classes will eventually find a logical coherent voice and legitimate credible platform and they will become a power and will represent all people.

Ahbisit and Korn are in fact the starting point.

But don't forget, the old guard politiciians (read ruthless and incapable leeches and thugs) are not going to let go easily and right now they are in fact using the red shirts to consolidate the old gurard power base.

They will get frustrated. They don't have the majority support or the moral authority to pull off what they are demanding. ((remove)). You figure it out ...

They have the majority support. If an election were held today, Peuah Thai would win again. And the military would dissolve the party. This is not democracy. This is moreless a fascist and/or elitist system. A system where some people's (the majority of the electorate) votes don't count; or don't count as much as other wealthier voting groups.

If an election were held today, they may have a problem explaining why their leader is in Singapore. Perhaps he has a company he'd like to sell?

If you imaging Thaksins plans rest on firm moral authority you are living in candyland.

Pretty much no one thinks that Thaksin is any great moral figure, however, the opposition have nothing to brag about either. This is Thailand.

All of this outrage about Thaksin being corrupt is just the pot calling the kettle black. There are no knights in shining armor in Thai politics. :)

what happen to the million+people that where meant to turn up(did the Thanksin) bribe funds run out heard about 100000 people at the most turned up.

You mean 100,000 people accepted the 2,000 - 3,000 rent a crowd offer, jumped on the bus / pick up, got off at the rally site, had some free food, listened to hours of repetitive hatred speeches without logic from the red shirt leaders plus more hours of taped previous hatred with no logic, got on the bus and went home to their village.

Yes they are

The AFP article is written in a rather demeaning way, making out the reds are a bunch of country bumpkins eating som tam and sticky rice.

No doubt the yellows consumed there fair share of som tam at the airport sit in.

Yes thats about it in a nutshel.

what happen to the million+people that where meant to turn up(did the Thanksin) bribe funds run out heard about 100000 people at the most turned up.

You mean 100,000 people accepted the 2,000 - 3,000 rent a crowd offer, jumped on the bus / pick up, got off at the rally site, had some free food, listened to hours of repetitive hatred speeches without logic from the red shirt leaders plus more hours of taped previous hatred with no logic, got on the bus and went home to their village.

foreigners arguing about things that are none of their business......

Just who are you to tell people what their business is. I have family and property in the LOS and it is my business what happens here. Even without that, anyone is entitled to sit in the 'peanut gallery and express an opinion'. My opinion or you is that you are 'bossy'.

foreigners arguing about things that are none of their business......

Just who are you to tell people what their business is. I have family and property in the LOS and it is my business what happens here. Even without that, anyone is entitled to sit in the 'peanut gallery and express an opinion'. My opinion or you is that you are 'bossy'.

Well put. This definitely effects the foreigners living here. Like you, many of us have family, property and potentially earn our lively hood here. Even though we can't vote, which is understandable, we still have a vested interest. At least our wives and family can vote! Or is that make money voting? :)

This was being discussed on talk back radio in Melbourne (Aust) this morning. One aussie reporter who is apparently in Bangkok says that it is an extreemly peaceful demonstration by mostly common people in the 50's 60's and 70's. He states that it is easy to move in around BKK no problems at all. He did state that there is a growing fear that the government will send in the Army to use what ever force it deems fit to breakup the peaceful demonstration and that includes leathal force. These are not my thoughts but just news being reported in Aust. This prompted a lot of callers who were anti Thai government and pro red shirts. One caller even said that the UN should move in to protect the Thai people. Every caller said that they would never visit thailand as it is an extreemly dangerous country.

Like I said these are not my thoughts. All I can say to the Thai government is tread easy any use of force could blow up in your face.

Pretty much no one thinks that Thaksin is any great moral figure, however, the opposition have nothing to brag about either. This is Thailand.

All of this outrage about Thaksin being corrupt is just the pot calling the kettle black. There are no knights in shining armor in Thai politics. :)

agreed... I am no particular Thaksin fan (but have been painted as such) - actually if they held an election and the yellows won (fairly) I would be defending their right to remain in office - Im just naturally adverse to all this black or white (forgive me Michael) stuff and can understand the feelings behind some Thais wanting a 'wipe the slate clean' election.

I read in Bangkok Post today:

The prime minister said earlier that he was ready to dissolve the House but would not do so under pressure from the protesters

So now even he is thinking about it?

I guess 46 million baht is worth fighting for..... not sure why there are so many people helping to get it back......

By the way, I am not in a position to take sides, and I am in a polka dot pink and black shirt this evening...... not yellow or red

1. It's 46 billion baht

2. Being a red doesn't necessarily mean you're a Taksin supporter, or give a hoots about his dosh - just you disagree with the method in which the latest government regained control of the country, after 5 long years out of power

3. You gotta change that shirt

post-96087-1268617357_thumb.png

post-96087-1268617783_thumb.png

We are the hollow men

We are the stuffed men

Leaning together

Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!

Our dried voices, when

We whisper together

Are quiet and meaningless

As wind in dry grass

Or rats' feet over broken glass

In our dry cellar

Shape without form, shade without colour,

Paralysed force, gesture without motion

post-96087-1268617357_thumb.png

post-96087-1268617783_thumb.png

We are the hollow men

We are the stuffed men

Leaning together

Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!

Our dried voices, when

We whisper together

Are quiet and meaningless

As wind in dry grass

Or rats' feet over broken glass

In our dry cellar

Shape without form, shade without colour,

Paralysed force, gesture without motion

Blimey and its only Monday! bit esoteric for me :)

Why would the PM want to dissolve the house? He has a legitimately elected govt, the coalition is holding, and good things are being achieved given enough time. So you serve your full term, then hold an election.

A question was raised earlier re why Isan pays higher internet fees than in BKK. It's simple economics - in BKK you get 100+ times more subscribers per km of cable. Of course, you could ask your BKK subscribers to subsidise those in Isan, but then a competitor who offers BKK-only service would undercut you. Logical?

:)

Peacekeeping barracks...d*mn it.

I just wish the Reds hadn't chosen that particular place to demonstrate. The site is less than a mile from my family's house.

But the house is not on a main road, that's good.

I just hope it stays peaceful. Or if not the wind is blowing the other way...don't want tear gas in the housing compound.

:D

Hello as i have said in other post my gf has gone to bkk as she did last time but one thing i have noticed this time in our village is that a lot older thai people have jumped on the bus as well , has anyone made the same observation .

cheers .

I admire everyone's imagination and clairvoyance of future events. :)

Meanwhile, political protests can and do happen in any part of the world without the need for martial law and rumors of coups. For example, today in Italy.

And hey, guess what, even color coding a protest isn't exclusively Thai. :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8565265.stm

Back to drama-queening guys.

Winnie the pooh?

do you call Thailand and the red roosters civilized,packing rotten fish and shit in bags to be thrown to other poeples faces,how about e-coli bacteria,how about dignity,the red menace is about as civilized as a monkey in the zoo,fence bangkok in, all the reds are there and dont let them aout again.

As the saying goes, put some reds in a bag,tie the top and hit it with a stick... you always hit the right one

Interesting article from The Nation. Worth a read...

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/...t-30124662.html

Very interesting indeed.

My feeling is, that the reds will not attempt an "unprovoced" attack on the military base. If in fact, such an idea is there, they will probably stage an attack on themselves, in order to justify their actions.

More likely so, is, that on their way over to the base, they will turn to a different target. I think the whole march to the 11th Infantry base, may only be a cover, for a takeover of another, or other locations, that are undefended or poorly defended at the moment. Thereby putting the ball back into Abhisit's court.

Either way, Thaksin made it clear last year, that he wants revolution. I do believe, that this will be their last major stand. They won't be able to continue to bring out this many people every time, even if they pay them. Thai people will eventually get tired of the whole thing, as many of them already have.

agreed... I am no particular Thaksin fan (but have been painted as such) - actually if they held an election and the yellows won (fairly) I would be defending their right to remain in office - Im just naturally adverse to all this black or white (forgive me Michael) stuff and can understand the feelings behind some Thais wanting a 'wipe the slate clean' election.

I read in Bangkok Post today:

The prime minister said earlier that he was ready to dissolve the House but would not do so under pressure from the protesters

So now even he is thinking about it?

What Abhisit is saying is likely aimed at several sides:

It is good to sound compromising for the peopekl in general

Aimed at red shirts too

Aimed at coalition parnters who are utterly terrified of a snap election as it will be basically Dems versus PTP with them totally squeezed and without much cash. Abhisit will probably go for an election rather than see a rejigged government and anyway the protest is calling for election not a new government without elections

Hello as i have said in other post my gf has gone to bkk as she did last time but one thing i have noticed this time in our village is that a lot older thai people have jumped on the bus as well , has anyone made the same observation .

cheers .

Yes it has been reported in Aust that they are the older members of the population so the government should step lightly. Just see the headlines "Thai government uses lethal force against senior citzens"

Edited by moetownblues

The difference is that the Yellows had good reason to be hold their ground and stage an unwavering protest. The spineless / useless Government that was the ThankSin regime didn't lift a finger to stop the protest. In other words, they were incapable of taking command of the situation. Old wimpy brother-in-law Somchai fled the country (gee, seems to be a pattern with the Shitawatra family) during the time of crisis. Then what actually stopped the protest which nobody seems to remember was the fact that a judgement was given in the ongoing case of vote buying and the then Government was declared illegal. Plain and simple, by the books and I'm sure had the shoe been on the other foot the frikk'n red t-shirt gang would not have been crying "foul".

The ONE AND ONLY reason for succeeding of the Yellows (and the army) in their quest for power was because a higher force" was acting as their protecting angel and nobody wanted to act against their will.

If the RED shirts who are holding a PEACEFUL GATHGERING in Bangkok will be attacked by the military or the police tomorrow, will a renowned hospital doctor in Bangkok protest against the actions of Abhisit and deny the Yellows access to his hospital?

I strongly doubt it......

You are ranting like a horse with eye protections in order to dont have to admit the truth.

Edited by coalminer

The difference is that the Yellows had good reason to be hold their ground and stage an unwavering protest. The spineless / useless Government that was the ThankSin regime didn't lift a finger to stop the protest. In other words, they were incapable of taking command of the situation. Old wimpy brother-in-law Somchai fled the country (gee, seems to be a pattern with the Shitawatra family) during the time of crisis. Then what actually stopped the protest which nobody seems to remember was the fact that a judgement was given in the ongoing case of vote buying and the then Government was declared illegal. Plain and simple, by the books and I'm sure had the shoe been on the other foot the frikk'n red t-shirt gang would not have been crying "foul".

The ONE AND ONLY reason for succeeding of the Yellows (and the army) in their quest for power was because a higher force" was acting as their protecting angel and nobody wanted to act against their will.

If the RED shirts who are holding a PEACEFUL GATHGERING in Bangkok will be attacked by the military or the police tomorrow, will a renowned hospital doctor in Bangkok protest against the actions of Abhisit and deny the Yellows access to his hospital?

I strongly doubt it......

You are ranting like a horse with eye protections in order to dont have to admit the truth.

Hey, whoever butchered my comment and then put my name to it, I am not amused. If you are going to quote something with somebody's name attached, please quote what he or she actually said. I am asuming it was an honest mistake though, right? :)

The National Peacekeeping Command sets up seven steps in preparation for the red shirt protest in front of the 11th Infantry Regiment. They include soldiersand shields, water trucks, broadcasted vocal warning, tear gas, clubs , and rubber bullets.

(Tan Network)

Hmmm...the reds better be careful where there swarm leads them, otherwise, they might end up getting stung by the unnamed 7th Step...hmmm wonder what comes after rubber bullets? Bags of s*it maybe, or maybe a well deserved spanking? Hopefully, they will never have to find out.