Thaksin's Rural Red Shirts Swarm The Capital

webfact

The National Peacekeeping Command sets up seven steps in preparation for the red shirt protest in front of the 11th Infantry Regiment. They include soldiersand shields, water trucks, broadcasted vocal warning, tear gas, clubs , and rubber bullets.

(Tan Network)

Hmmm...the reds better be careful where there swarm leads them, otherwise, they might end up getting stung by the unnamed 7th Step...hmmm wonder what comes after rubber bullets? Bags of s*it maybe, or maybe a well deserved spanking? Hopefully, they will never have to find out.

I read the army is unarmed. Is that what you have heard? If so, they are being REALLY careful. But whoever shoots first, it's going to be a mess....

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is that the Yellows had good reason to be hold their ground and stage an unwavering protest. The spineless / useless Government that was the ThankSin regime didn't lift a finger to stop the protest. In other words, they were incapable of taking command of the situation. Old wimpy brother-in-law Somchai fled the country (gee, seems to be a pattern with the Shitawatra family) during the time of crisis. Then what actually stopped the protest which nobody seems to remember was the fact that a judgement was given in the ongoing case of vote buying and the then Government was declared illegal. Plain and simple, by the books and I'm sure had the shoe been on the other foot the frikk'n red t-shirt gang would not have been crying "foul".

The ONE AND ONLY reason for succeeding of the Yellows (and the army) in their quest for power was because a higher force" was acting as their protecting angel and nobody wanted to act against their will.

If the RED shirts who are holding a PEACEFUL GATHGERING in Bangkok will be attacked by the military or the police tomorrow, will a renowned hospital doctor in Bangkok protest against the actions of Abhisit and deny the Yellows access to his hospital?

I strongly doubt it......

You are ranting like a horse with eye protections in order to dont have to admit the truth.

Hey, whoever butchered my comment and then put my name to it, I am not amused. If you are going to quote something with somebody's name attached, please quote what he or she actually said. I am asuming it was an honest mistake though, right? :)

Possible something went wrong with the "cutting" of the quotes.

My apologies for that.

I hate Mondays .......

Red shirts to move through Bangkok Monday AM

snip.....

The declaration of a state of emergency will enable the military to take total charge of security in the capital, whereas the ISA only permits the military to assist the police if required.

Earlier today Royal Thai Army spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd said an additional 20 companies of troops had been sent to protect the 11th Infantry Regiment in Bangkhen district against any invasion by red-shirts.

The 11th infantry regiment is located close to 2006 coup maker and former national army chief Sonthi Boonyaratgalin's residence.

snip...

I'm not familiar with BKK's layout, so I have some questions:

1. How long has the 11th been at that location?

2. What are the tactical/strategic reasons for the location of the 11th?

3. Are there any connections between the 11th and Sonthi beyond those of any other unit with the former national army chief?

Inquiring minds want to know.

jeb

Hello as i have said in other post my gf has gone to bkk as she did last time but one thing i have noticed this time in our village is that a lot older thai people have jumped on the bus as well , has anyone made the same observation .

cheers .

hey roo, look at it this way:

1/ no social security as in old age pension

2/ older thais remember when a baht had 100 satang which actually could buy something

3/ plenty of time on their hands if they're not looking after the grandkids

4/ a trip to the big smoke might beat looking at the same boring village for the rest of your life

Fair enough? the alternative is that they are all die-hard Thaksin supporters, which is not as convincing to me

The National Peacekeeping Command sets up seven steps in preparation for the red shirt protest in front of the 11th Infantry Regiment. They include soldiersand shields, water trucks, broadcasted vocal warning, tear gas, clubs , and rubber bullets.

(Tan Network)

Hmmm...the reds better be careful where there swarm leads them, otherwise, they might end up getting stung by the unnamed 7th Step...hmmm wonder what comes after rubber bullets? Bags of s*it maybe, or maybe a well deserved spanking? Hopefully, they will never have to find out.

I read the army is unarmed. Is that what you have heard? If so, they are being REALLY careful. But whoever shoots first, it's going to be a mess....

As much as I like this to end peacefully, being unarmed to defend an Army barracks full or weapons and your National Leader, in my eyes, would be stupidity. A strong defense is the best deterent.

(Sorry about my spelling sometimes, English is not my first language)

Just read this...TAN Network: PM to address the country before noon deadline

I sure hope that PM Abhisit doesn't give in to these thugs. Thaksin is no Che Guevara. Thaksin is a ruthless, murderous, captialist egomaniac and his attempts to take back power must be twarted.

Given the two realities on the part of each of the two major sides, there remains but a scant basis of hope. Sorry to present such a glum assessment and evaluation, but the society has a very high mountain before it to climb and very little mountain climbing equipment.

None the less, I sincerely hope that your analysis prevails 20 or 30 years from now.

I agree with the fact that there is scant basis for hope. The actions which need to occur will probably not happen in my lifetime unless there is some event which rocks the nation and sets it in a different direction.

After all what this is really about is power and greed and who controls it. Those who profess that one side is more righteous than the other are fooling themselves. In the end it is that way everywhere. Even in the West, politicians are driven by things other than altruism and virtue. Even here in the US the peoples opinion of the members of Congress is at an all time low. The public sees them as inept and selfish concerned with their own well being rather than that of the nation as a whole. How do we really expect Thailand to pull itself up when even the western nations have so many difficulties. Wasn't it last year the British politicians were spending money and allowances for personal gain. Can those posting here expect any better in Thailand? As they say: Get Real!

However hope does spring eternal.

An additional comment that I might make here and hope I am not overstepping bounds, is the fact that the person most revered by all is going to leave a great void at some point. Many of these students that I speak with feel that some are more worthy than others to take the helm. I believe there is division among many in this regard and it will be interesting to see how this plays out together with the politics of the nation. I will leave it at that.

It is an interesting process to sit back and watch. It is frustrating for those of us do genuinely like the country and its people to watch this painful process because we want basic rights, prosperity, and happiness for the Thai people. I think sometimes we suffer thru this process more than the Thais themselves.

The difference is that the Yellows had good reason to be hold their ground and stage an unwavering protest. The spineless / useless Government that was the ThankSin regime didn't lift a finger to stop the protest. In other words, they were incapable of taking command of the situation. Old wimpy brother-in-law Somchai fled the country (gee, seems to be a pattern with the Shitawatra family) during the time of crisis. Then what actually stopped the protest which nobody seems to remember was the fact that a judgement was given in the ongoing case of vote buying and the then Government was declared illegal. Plain and simple, by the books and I'm sure had the shoe been on the other foot the frikk'n red t-shirt gang would not have been crying "foul".

The ONE AND ONLY reason for succeeding of the Yellows (and the army) in their quest for power was because a higher force" was acting as their protecting angel and nobody wanted to act against their will.

If the RED shirts who are holding a PEACEFUL GATHGERING in Bangkok will be attacked by the military or the police tomorrow, will a renowned hospital doctor in Bangkok protest against the actions of Abhisit and deny the Yellows access to his hospital?

I strongly doubt it......

You are ranting like a horse with eye protections in order to dont have to admit the truth.

Hey, whoever butchered my comment and then put my name to it, I am not amused. If you are going to quote something with somebody's name attached, please quote what he or she actually said. I am asuming it was an honest mistake though, right? :D

Possible something went wrong with the "cutting" of the quotes.

My apologies for that.

I hate Mondays .......

No problem, it happens. I didn't think it was intentional :D I haven't been drinking for a while and have never used terms like "frikk'n before, so I thought, it was either a new personality of mine, I hadn't discovered yet, or someone had changed my quotes :)

I pent several hours yesterday evening at Red Central near Victory Monument. some observations:

1) Its surprising to me how many of them are older folks. Sure, there are plenty of menacing looking younger males, but the majority struck me as middle aged and up. Not a few clearly middle class as well. The notion that they are all Issan farmers is incorrect.

2) By late yesterday evening condition were already bad. garbage everywhere, and far too few toilets. the majority are sleeping on the roads and sidewalks. I some some water handed out, but most people were paying for their food.

3) Last night everyone was in a good mood, impressed to be part of a large group that, with luck from their point of view, might make a difference. but how will this crowd be feeling after several nights sleeping out, several days sweating in the sun, living in filth and eating badly? add to that the liklihood that their demands will be frustrated?

4) Their numbers arent huge, but given the goverment's unwillingness to confront them, i think these reds shirts have it in them to damage commerce in Bangkok. The real threat of violence may be less between the red shirts and uniformed personnel, and more between reds and yellows. If the government is smart, they will wait for this to happen, and then move in claiming no alternative but to prevent civil strife.

5) The resolution of this affair is entirely unpredictable. but it certainly seems unlikely that the red shirts will go home with nothing to show for their efforts. In the worst case, the mob will separate from its leadership, and go where fury and gravity lead. But the worst case need not happen.

Hello as i have said in other post my gf has gone to bkk as she did last time but one thing i have noticed this time in our village is that a lot older thai people have jumped on the bus as well , has anyone made the same observation .

cheers .

2/ older thais remember when a baht had 100 satang which actually could buy something

4/ a trip to the big smoke might beat looking at the same boring village for the rest of your life

Fair enough? the alternative is that they are all die-hard Thaksin supporters, which is not as convincing to me

thai-baht.jpg

Mrs Norcan has just been telling me about the people from her (up North) village that made the trip to the big city dressed in red to make their stance for democracy.

Oddly enough, the exact same folk were also protesting in town last year...but dressed in yellow instead.

That in itself speaks volumes for this shambles.

I saw the "reds" moving down Sukhumvit yesterday morning, we passed by the whole column.

There were many young children on board the trucks.

Do you think any responsible parent would bring their child along to any event that would put their child in harms way?

I draw the conclusion that they have not come with violence on their minds.

But of course I could be wrong :)

What do you guys think?

In all the planning garbage receptacles were under estimated/forgotten and the troops did as normal, drop it where they stand, when finished. The police seem happy to fine those who litter, why not show their tolerance and hand out trash bags and tells them to clean up the mess prior to moving on to another site to trash.

(Tan Network)

As much as I like this to end peacefully, being unarmed to defend an Army barracks full or weapons and your National Leader, in my eyes, would be stupidity. A strong defense is the best deterent.

(Sorry about my spelling sometimes, English is not my first language)

Just read this...TAN Network: PM to address the country before noon deadline

I sure hope that PM Abhisit doesn't give in to these thugs. Thaksin is no Che Guevara. Thaksin is a ruthless, murderous, captialist egomaniac and his attempts to take back power must be twarted.

Your English is better than many Americans I live around. I read that last night they reinforced the barracks with 7,500 troops in full anti-riot gear. As I understand it, only the frontline (possible contact with demonstrators) soldiers are unarmed. There, also, have been 'flying squads' of SWAT teams scattered around strategically since the beginning. And, just to be extra safe, there are three helicopters, including a Blackhawk, at the ready in case of need of hasty departure. Heads of State have all the resources they need to stay safe.

Personally, if the demonstrators march on the barracks, I think he should just fly away. No reason to protest there anymore. My sympathies are with the undereducated, underserved, unappreciated working poor of this beautiful country. I am sorry they are exploited by those who claim to be their champions. By staying regional, i.e. North and Northeast, the redshirts will always be a powerless minority. Would that some charismatic one-of-their-own could unite all downtrodden in this country into a political force. What I know about power structure in the villages across all regions is that they will never be allowed to progress because the local 'pu yai' need cheap labor to continue to live the high life. These 'pu yai' are not political as in the West but MONEY is their only reason for being in and chosing political parties. I hope I haven't offended anyone; these are my viewpoints.

"I pent several hours yesterday evening at Red Central near Victory Monument." sic

Earthpig, I am assuming that you are not a Thai national, correct me if I am wrong. Was this a wise thing to do? Didn't I read somewhere that foreign nationals attending political rallies would be arrested?

I pent several hours yesterday evening at Red Central near Victory Monument. some observations:

1) Its surprising to me how many of them are older folks. Sure, there are plenty of menacing looking younger males, but the majority struck me as middle aged and up. Not a few clearly middle class as well. The notion that they are all Issan farmers is incorrect.

2) By late yesterday evening condition were already bad. garbage everywhere, and far too few toilets. the majority are sleeping on the roads and sidewalks. I some some water handed out, but most people were paying for their food.

3) Last night everyone was in a good mood, impressed to be part of a large group that, with luck from their point of view, might make a difference. but how will this crowd be feeling after several nights sleeping out, several days sweating in the sun, living in filth and eating badly? add to that the liklihood that their demands will be frustrated?

4) Their numbers arent huge, but given the goverment's unwillingness to confront them, i think these reds shirts have it in them to damage commerce in Bangkok. The real threat of violence may be less between the red shirts and uniformed personnel, and more between reds and yellows. If the government is smart, they will wait for this to happen, and then move in claiming no alternative but to prevent civil strife.

5) The resolution of this affair is entirely unpredictable. but it certainly seems unlikely that the red shirts will go home with nothing to show for their efforts. In the worst case, the mob will separate from its leadership, and go where fury and gravity lead. But the worst case need not happen.

Point 4: I think any violence between shirts is a negative for the government. They will do their best to stop this before it happens. If violence does occur between the shirts, both sides will blame the other for dressing in the opposites shirts.

Point 5: It's most of the red leadership that have been advocating violence. If there is violence from the red side, it will thugs being directed by the leadership. A majority of the reds don't want violence, but it will be the minorities that will start it.

Violence might not be in the minds of some, but it surely is in the minds of some others...

Woe is the parent who assumed this would be a group visit to the big city for the young'uns

and see some history made, and then find them trapped in the street between two intransigent groups

bent on getting their own way come hel_l or high water.

BangkokPundit reporting that Newin is certain to of switched sides, yet Abhisit has said he has the support from coalition partners not to dissolve the house...?

Not exactly. Bangkok Pundit is reporting that Thanong of The Nation blogs is saying Newin has switched sides. Apparently that is based on extrapolation that Newin’s father, the speaker of the house, has unexpectedly scheduled a session for tomorrow.

Note what BP actually says:

BP: Should we take it that Thanong is projecting paranoid Democrat views? BP thinks so. Nevertheless, even a broken clock is right twice a day so should we also take it from the public statements by the Democrats that they are little uneasy what Newin might be up too? Yes, BP thinks we can, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Newin is switching, of course. However, it is certainly plausible as Sanan could be seen as the compromise PM. Newin and Chat Thai Pattana can argue that Abhisit is too divisive. Then again, Newin could just be trying to extract more from the Democrats. Also, a Bhum Jai Thai spokesman has been reasonably clear on TV that the party supports Abhisit.

I tend to agree that Newin and the other coalition parties are going to try and extract more out of the Democrats for supporting them through this.

Keep in mind that both coalition partners have high aspirations for the 2011 elections and any weakening of the Democrats, without them actually losing control of the house, is a good thing.

TH

I saw the "reds" moving down Sukhumvit yesterday morning, we passed by the whole column.

There were many young children on board the trucks.

Do you think any responsible parent would bring their child along to any event that would put their child in harms way?

I draw the conclusion that they have not come with violence on their minds.

But of course I could be wrong :)

What do you guys think?

A lot of the reds think that the army will become violent, so they bring their kids to stop the army and to make the army look bad if they do anything.

Red leaders have told the people to bring their families. So they are bringing their families. The reds also said there would be 20,000 monks (although, there have been no reports of them being here).

Unfortunately, some of the red leaders have also said that they will be violent.

BangkokPundit reporting that Newin is certain to of switched sides, yet Abhisit has said he has the support from coalition partners not to dissolve the house...?

Not exactly. Bangkok Pundit is reporting that Thanong of The Nation blogs is saying Newin has switched sides. Apparently that is based on extrapolation that Newin’s father, the speaker of the house, has unexpectedly scheduled a session for tomorrow.

Note what BP actually says:

BP: Should we take it that Thanong is projecting paranoid Democrat views? BP thinks so. Nevertheless, even a broken clock is right twice a day so should we also take it from the public statements by the Democrats that they are little uneasy what Newin might be up too? Yes, BP thinks we can, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Newin is switching, of course. However, it is certainly plausible as Sanan could be seen as the compromise PM. Newin and Chat Thai Pattana can argue that Abhisit is too divisive. Then again, Newin could just be trying to extract more from the Democrats. Also, a Bhum Jai Thai spokesman has been reasonably clear on TV that the party supports Abhisit.

I tend to agree that Newin and the other coalition parties are going to try and extract more out of the Democrats for supporting them through this.

Keep in mind that both coalition partners have high aspirations for the 2011 elections and any weakening of the Democrats, without them actually losing control of the house, is a good thing.

TH

Understood - Nation going on a complete tangent again. Thanks for the feedback.

cheers .

In my wife's village, they are ALL die-hard Thaksin supporters...everyone of them. And I think the same can be said for most of the rural villages in Issan. He did do a lot for them while he was in office and they love him for that.

Corruption? As they well know, it is everywhere and committed by pretty everyone who can. Example: we had to get a paper from a local office last year for my wife to get a Thai passport with her married name. It should be free, but as soon as they heard she was married to a farang, "tea" money had to be paid. My wife wasn't even there...her mother did it for her.

In all the planning garbage receptacles were under estimated/forgotten and the troops did as normal, drop it where they stand, when finished. The police seem happy to fine those who litter, why not show their tolerance and hand out trash bags and tells them to clean up the mess prior to moving on to another site to trash.

I was just listening to the satellite TVU station 80420 - People's Channel (uncensored) and the red leader was announcing to the protesters just that... "please pick up your own rubbish and help the local govt. clean up as the govt. once again has forgotten the smaller details of the people".

Despite how vigorous the pro-Thaksin supporters claim no money is changing hands for the supporters, we in the capital don't have to go far to hear from people that have been offered cash to attend - the maid of my last workplace for one.

Got fired, eh?

Turnout directly equates cash. Thaksin is going for it this time.

Well, I know a lot more people would have liked to attend, but they aren't well off, like the PAD people. They have to work to put food on the table every day.

Despite how vigorous the pro-Thaksin supporters claim no money is changing hands for the supporters, we in the capital don't have to go far to hear from people that have been offered cash to attend - the maid of my last workplace for one.

Got fired, eh?

Well, I know a lot more people would have liked to attend, but they aren't well off, like the PAD people. They have to work to put food on the table every day.

Come again?

Baseless accusations is your best defence? When are you getting on stage? :)

Edited by Insight

cheers .

Good points. I especially like your last (unnumbered) one. I tend to favor the UDD side against the PAD, but your observation is truly valid. There's a certain amount of /sanuk/ going on here, as indeed there was with the PAD mob. :) In my opinion the PAD were more fanatical, but then I'm an American and my country has become totally polarized so maybe that accounts for it (my opinion, that is).

Got fired, eh?

I do believe all their costs were covered...so no need to worry about putting food on the table. Actually, there are many, many, many reds who profited significantly from these protests...and Mr. T's money....I have a few relatives who participated just to make a few Baht.

Your English is better than many Americans I live around. I read that last night they reinforced the barracks with 7,500 troops in full anti-riot gear. As I understand it, only the frontline (possible contact with demonstrators) soldiers are unarmed. There, also, have been 'flying squads' of SWAT teams scattered around strategically since the beginning. And, just to be extra safe, there are three helicopters, including a Blackhawk, at the ready in case of need of hasty departure. Heads of State have all the resources they need to stay safe.

Personally, if the demonstrators march on the barracks, I think he should just fly away. No reason to protest there anymore. My sympathies are with the undereducated, underserved, unappreciated working poor of this beautiful country. I am sorry they are exploited by those who claim to be their champions. By staying regional, i.e. North and Northeast, the redshirts will always be a powerless minority. Would that some charismatic one-of-their-own could unite all downtrodden in this country into a political force. What I know about power structure in the villages across all regions is that they will never be allowed to progress because the local 'pu yai' need cheap labor to continue to live the high life. These 'pu yai' are not political as in the West but MONEY is their only reason for being in and chosing political parties. I hope I haven't offended anyone; these are my viewpoints.

Agree with you on the substance but its hard to change at that level . Having say that as long as the thai PM will be elected by the parliement , instead of directly by all of the thai people , instability will prevail. Its mainly a constitutional issue

Violence might not be in the minds of some, but it surely is in the minds of some others...

I think that's a correct assessment.The military has murderous form as we know from the way violence was inflicted on peaceful demonstrations in the past, for example in 1992.The good news is that Abhisit seems to be able to hold army thuggery in check, and I think also Anupong knows violence would be very counter productive to elite interests.Fingers crossed and of course the reds should avoid unnecessary provocation.

I do believe all their costs were covered...so no need to worry about putting food on the table. Actually, there are many, many, many reds who profited significantly from these protests...and Mr. T's money....I have a few relatives who participated just to make a few Baht.

Agree but lets remember that country folks often dont have the money on their own to travel to BKK . Should they keep silent ? Or should their leader spend the money on vacation in the Caraibs instead ? And even if the rurals have that money , thats how all political parties , not only Thaksin's , conduct the business , since democracy exist in Thailand . Its a rather imperfect world