Problems With Firefox & Ie.

Pattayatony

I use firefox most of the time but I keep getting "Firefox has en-counted a problem & must close, so I started using IE and Im getting the same problem.

I had this same problem a few months ago & fixed it by re-installing Firefox, but i should not have to be doing this every few months.

I have scanned for malaware and also my anti virus but nothing is showing up.

Im now trying to D/L Opera Browser.

Can someone help with this.

Cheers Tony

Edited by Pattayatony

Scan your hard disk for errors. I had a similar problem not too long ago and ended up having to repartition / reformat due to file system corruption.

I just clicked on that link & it closed down again, This is driving me CRAZY :)

cdnvic>>>> He always was around to help me out as he knows Im not the Sharpest knife in the draw when it comes to computers and Im just an OLD giser. :D

so come on cdnvic stick your nose in & help me out here please.

About the only thing that Firefox does well is CRASH and a lot of it. It CRASHES often especially if a web session times out and if you had Bangkok's adsl "service" you know how aften that happens. If that CRASH occurs when your screen is locked then your entire computer is CRASHED requiring powere off to reboot.

I never use Firefoz or IE. My notebook's manufacturer'rs tech website only for IE doesn't work requiring PAGES of fixits out of the box to do to access privileges and other such troth and I'm just not going to bother with that crap. For those websites that I used (the Firefox problem started in Wimdows 7) to use in Firefoz I use Chrome or Safari now. My entire online life centers around Opera browser since the beginnings. Every new Opera feature, many of them, have been copied into all the other browsers making Opera the leader of the pack, still. It just doesn't crash like FF and IE OFTEN do.

You're headed forward!

About the only thing that Firefox does well is CRASH and a lot of it. It CRASHES often especially if a web session times out and if you had Bangkok's adsl "service" you know how aften that happens. If that CRASH occurs when your screen is locked then your entire computer is CRASHED requiring powere off to reboot.

I never use Firefoz or IE. My notebook's manufacturer'rs tech website only for IE doesn't work requiring PAGES of fixits out of the box to do to access privileges and other such troth and I'm just not going to bother with that crap. For those websites that I used (the Firefox problem started in Wimdows 7) to use in Firefoz I use Chrome or Safari now. My entire online life centers around Opera browser since the beginnings. Every new Opera feature, many of them, have been copied into all the other browsers making Opera the leader of the pack, still. It just doesn't crash like FF and IE OFTEN do.

You're headed forward!

Echo problems I Think. :)

You're headed forward!

I have D/L Opera but each time I try to open or run it i get this message>>>Error Reading set up initialization file... Any advice???

I have D/L Opera but each time I try to open or run it i get this message>>>Error Reading set up initialization file... Any advice???

This isn't a good sign... It seems like you're experiencing file system or partition corruption (judging by the symptoms you've described in your posts). Have you tried running other programs to see if they function normally? When I had this problem, many programs started to exhibit strange behavior, while some just stopped working for no apparent reason. If you're having similar issues, backup your data and be prepared to repartition your C: drive.

Tony Hi. Open my computer. Right click on your C drive and select properties, tools and select error check, scan now. Tick the fix and repair option. It will then ask you whether you want to schedule a check. Select yes. Simply do a restart and the disc will be checked prior to starting. It may take a while depending on how big the disc is. If that fails then try a virus and malware scan in safe mode and see if anything is picked up. Good luck

PS you can always try Google chrome.

I have had glitches in Firefox for a LONG time. I think Firefox is by far the best browser available, BUT, the glitches are irritating.

When it becomes too much trouble, the only way I have found to fix it is to uninstall the program and all the settings. The only thing I save is my bookmarks. It then works fine for a couple of months. I really think the problems are somewhere in the add-ons because if I don't do a complete uninstall the problems are still there.

It only takes ten or fifteen minutes to uninstall and reinstall. It's worth it to me.

I have had glitches in Firefox for a LONG time. I think Firefox is by far the best browser available, BUT, the glitches are irritating.

When it becomes too much trouble, the only way I have found to fix it is to uninstall the program and all the settings. The only thing I save is my bookmarks. It then works fine for a couple of months. I really think the problems are somewhere in the add-ons because if I don't do a complete uninstall the problems are still there.

It only takes ten or fifteen minutes to uninstall and reinstall. It's worth it to me.

How do I save my bookmarks in firefox ?

Cheers Tony

I was having alot of problems with Firefox that sound very similar to what you are experiencing. The problems were always associated with Yahoo mail also. I finally ditched Firefox and tried the Google Chrome browser. Never had a problem since. It's a very basic browser. Does everything I want, and nothing I don't. Try it if you like and see what you think. It's free and fast to download.

http://www.google.com/chrome/?hl=en

How do I save my bookmarks in firefox ?

Cheers Tony

Open bookmarks, click on organize bookmarks, then click on Import and Backup. Backup to wherever you want to save the file. After reinstalling Firefox, follow the same procedure except use restore rather than backup.

Next time if you have a problem in firefox, try loading it in safe mode to troubleshoot the problem. You won't have to uninstall/reinstall this way. More info -->

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode

First of all I would like to thank everyone who has offered advice & Help.

Here is an up-date>> Fire Fox works fine in Safe Mode.

I have D/L Google Chrome it works great, I wish I had changed over long ago.

Now If I use IE it crashes straight away.

I have uninstall-ed FF and doubt I will use it again after using Chrome.

So where is the Problem? I think its in all the add on's.

Please give me your thoughts and advice on this.

Thank You.

Tony

Why uninstall Firefox? Just disable all addons via Safe-Mode (start Safe-Mode, then in the dialog window choose the option to disable all plugins upon next start), takes 5-10 seconds, and you're done. Enjoy your refreshed and lightning-fast surf experience.

During the next hours/days, when you miss any feature that one of your addons has previously provided, I mean if you REALLY miss it and can't live without it, re-enable that addon.

If you can live with Google Chrome you can surely live with Firefox and a reduced set of addons.

I agree that Firefox' selling point as well as maybe its downfall is the number of addons that make Firefox both feature-rich but sometimes also unstable and sluggish.

So it's up to the user to no go crazy on installing addons.

I don't have any problem with Chrome, and it's Javascript engine is surely superior to Firefox right now, but comparing a Firefox bloated with addons with a (nearl) non-expandable Chrome is not fair.

Of course that assumes that your Firefox troubles were really due to a large number of addons.

welo

Why uninstall Firefox? Just disable all addons via Safe-Mode (start Safe-Mode, then in the dialog window choose the option to disable all plugins upon next start), takes 5-10 seconds, and you're done. Enjoy your refreshed and lightning-fast surf experience.

During the next hours/days, when you miss any feature that one of your addons has previously provided, I mean if you REALLY miss it and can't live without it, re-enable that addon.

If you can live with Google Chrome you can surely live with Firefox and a reduced set of addons.

I agree that Firefox' selling point as well as maybe its downfall is the number of addons that make Firefox both feature-rich but sometimes also unstable and sluggish.

I don't have any problem with Chrome, and it's Javascript engine is surely superior to Firefox right now, but comparing a Firefox bloated with addons with a (nearl) non-expandable Chrome is not fair.

Of course that assumes that your Firefox troubles were really due to a large number of addons.

welo

What about the Problem with IE ?

I dont like all of the ad-on's, I just like to Keep it Simple but every time you up date FF you get more add-on's.

Whatgggg

welo

I dont like all of the ad-on's, I just like to Keep it Simple but every time you up date FF you get more add-on's.

What i woudl do is open firefox in safe mode then got to tools addons then extensions and disable all of them.you shoudl then be able to open firefox normally then enable the extensions one at a time so example enable 1 extension then restart firefox, enable one by one until you find the cuplrit and delete it.. the first place to start is google toolbar which crashed my firefox everytime so i uninstalled that extension and it was fine.

• 2 weeks later...

IE supports addons/plugins as well, though they are not as common as on Firefox. Toolbars (Google, Playcity, ask.com) can usually be disabled in the plugins section.

Tutorial for IE 6 and 7: http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/ht/ieaddons.htm

Maybe a toolbar or some other browser addon for both Firefox and IE got installed and causes these issues - sometimes free programs will include browser addons such as the ask toolbar so the company/programer can make some money. Of course this is just one of various possible reasons.

Firefox doesn't install addons on its own. After upgrading the browser core to a new version it will check all installed addons for compatibility and search for updates to this addons. It doesn't install additional addons.

Chrome is a good choice if you don't need the flexibility of Firefox' addons. Nothing wrong with switching.

The reason why I posted was that I suspect that one of the Firefox addons is causing the issues. And I pointed out a simple way howto 'fix' your Firefox install instead of abandoning a good web browser.

welo