New Makro ...... Pattaya

Noddy1

To those of you that haven't been , this is first class shopping , a big roomy store , with a huge range of fresh produce , meat , fish , fruit and vegetables , the best range of herbs and spices I have seen anywhere .

Everything the others have plus more and better prices , highly recommended . And no , I am not financially involved , just seem to waste so much time looking for stuff , and now I can find most of it under one roof . :)

But the Pattaya outlet is most probably the smallest Makro store in whole Thailand. I'm a member of Makro since 1980, a long time before Makro entered the scene in Thailand. Lots of things which are available in most others Makro stores, are simply not available.

One thing is true: the store looks nice, better than the rest.

Do you need some sort of membership card to shop at Makro?

If so, can Farang get one, or only available to Thais or Farang with some sort of business. Or is it just a case of paying a one-off membership fee?

I didn'r realise that Makro were so good, so never looked into it.

If so, can Farang get one, or only available to Thais or Farang with some sort of business. Or is it just a case of paying a one-off membership fee?

As you go in the store you can ask at the desk for a day membership .They then give you a number to show the casher .For full membership just fill out a form at the desk and collect your membership card a few days later .You do not need to be a business owner .

About charging for Plastic bags ,just bring your own and help the planet at the same time .

No pay. Just go in and ask for a card. You can use it at any Makro in Thailand.

Nice enough shop and a lot of good stuff, but be careful with some of their prices though........Beers, Coke, and quite a few of the soft drinks i noticed are a bit cheaper at many of the roadside wholesellers.

It's great until you get to the check out and find they don't give out free shopping bags and you have to buy them at 12 baht each.

Savings lost!!

You dont need plastic bags , the checkout chick will scan and transfer to another trolly ,

wheel it out and chuck everything in your car , I did notice beer to be a little more expensive .

Everything else though was cheaper , considerably so in some cases .

It's great until you get to the check out and find they don't give out free shopping bags and you have to buy them at 12 baht each.

Savings lost!!

And good that they start charging for these plastic bags!

You can bring your own bags, re-use and save and additionally protect the environment. No reason to moan.

Savings lost!!

Makro is intended for bulk purchases. You won't see Thais with carrier bags - they will be strapping a months supply of goods for their village shop onto the bag of their pick up.

they do not accept any credit cards other than their own makro citibank card. Bring enough cash...

Are you sure ? They accepted my Irish Credit card for a washing machine purchase in Chiang Mai around 6 weeks ago .I normally use cash though .

You forgot to note that the access and parking are additional plusses for Makro. No traffic hassle to speak of getting to the Sukhumvit location. U-turn just beyond the store, if you're driving south from Pattaya. The parking lot is HUGE, with spaces marked wide enough to allow you to actually open your car door when parked beside another car; and aisles wide enough to easily back out in one swing, even if you're opposite a elongated pickup! Very convienent.

There is one inconvenience about which I actually spoke to the manager. Their bathrooms, while clean and spacious, are about 30 years behind in their "supplies. They have large rolls of toilet paper on the wall as you enter the rows of stalls. There is NO toilet paper IN the stalls! C'mon! As I said, that was Thailand 30 years ago. All of the major supermarkets have TP in the stalls now.

You forgot to note that the access and parking are additional plusses for Makro. No traffic hassle to speak of getting to the Sukhumvit location. U-turn just beyond the store, if you're driving south from Pattaya. The parking lot is HUGE, with spaces marked wide enough to allow you to actually open your car door when parked beside another car; and aisles wide enough to easily back out in one swing, even if you're opposite a elongated pickup! Very convienent.

There is one inconvenience about which I actually spoke to the manager. Their bathrooms, while clean and spacious, are about 30 years behind in their "supplies. They have large rolls of toilet paper on the wall as you enter the rows of stalls. There is NO toilet paper IN the stalls! C'mon! As I said, that was Thailand 30 years ago. All of the major supermarkets have TP in the stalls now.

Not all ,with some you have to use the tried and tested bum gun .

its like going shopping in a warehouse which is fine if you actually own your own business or whatever but I find buying 10 bottles of shampoo to save 20 baht is a bit pointless.. PLUS .. they enforce that retarded rule of the 2-5 no alcohol rule..

much prefer to go to Carrefour, at least you can have a couple of beers downstairs while you send the mrs off doing the shopping..

They have a pretty decent meat selection....seafood also. I found some good stuff there, but a lot is in bulk and not worth the hassle. I just don't need 12 tubes of toothpaste! But other than that, I do like it. Hardly ever a line, unlike Tesco. And I usually bring my own bags anyway...wherever I shop. Dang cashiers really give us the looks when we do this though!

I really cant understand some of these comments.....the place is a cash and carry and is there for the trade to buy wholesale stocks for there business's.

Think yourself lucky that they give you the opportunity to shop there or simply go to a retail store like Tesco's.

HL :)

Nice enough shop and a lot of good stuff, but be careful with some of their prices though........Beers, Coke, and quite a few of the soft drinks i noticed are a bit cheaper at many of the roadside wholesellers.

no other shop beats the quality and the price of Makro's norwegian smoked salmon. one kg now 599 Baht!

It's great until you get to the check out and find they don't give out free shopping bags and you have to buy them at 12 baht each. Savings lost!!

yep! but only for people who shop for less than a hundred Baht :)

Edited by Naam

Savings lost!!

You dont need plastic bags , the checkout chick will scan and transfer to another trolly ,

wheel it out and chuck everything in your car , I did notice beer to be a little more expensive .

It can be said that Makro is for bulk shoppers but there will be those that go there on a motorbike for a look around, buy a few items then find Makro doesn't hand out free plastic bags.

I made the point about Makro not issuing plastic bags to warn those people who might take a trip there on a motorbike.

Be aware that they practice that stupid law about only being able to buy beer after 11am unless you are buying 2 cases or more.

I got to the checkout one morning at 10 with 1 case and was sent back to get another!!

Edited by PattayaParent

and carry the 40 items you've bought 1 by 1 from your car to your house.

Edited by PattayaParent

It's great until you get to the check out and find they don't give out free shopping bags and you have to buy them at 12 baht each. Savings lost!!

yep! but only for people who shop for less than a hundred Baht :)

Incorrect, irrespective of how much you spend no free plastic bags are given out.

Makro does not hand out plastic bags as does Tesco/Lotus....Big C.....Foodland......Carrefour and the list goes on.

Savings lost!!

And good that they start charging for these plastic bags!

You can bring your own bags, re-use and save and additionally protect the environment. No reason to moan.

It was never intended as a moan just a bit of advice to share with the unknowing as that's what forums are for.

Personally, I always carry a number of bags and boxes with me reason being as someone pointed out is that i don't want to unload my vehicle one item at a time.

Edited by nam-thip

and carry the 40 items you've bought 1 by 1 from your car to your house.

No bags or boxes at your house PP :)

I used to own a string of retail bike stores in Singapore and when helping out in one of the shops my standard line to customers when they purchased something was "Would you like a none biodegradable environmentally unfriendly plastic bag that will still be here in 100 years time"? they would always take a step back and say Oh no thank you, I'll put it straight in the car. Singapore has to be the original 'plastic brief case' country but when explained it this way to them they would quickly go without a bag to help save the country.