Heineken, Is It Bit Sweeter Then Normal?

tangcoral

I had a couple of friends from the US visit, and the first thing they noticed was that the Heineken is a bit sweeter than the US version.

I understand soda like sprite and coke is definitely sweeter and has a less carbonation sting to it than US version.

But did they add sugar to my Heineken?

Anyone notice the difference or is it their imagination?

Edited by tangcoral

Sorry, didnt notice any difference, still tastes like horse piss.

Second that. It's disgusting no matter where you are, although, to be on-topic, it's considerably more disgusting here than elsewhere. :)

Heineken taste is always all over the place. I don't know if this is to do with the way it it stored/transported or some special ingredients during the brewing process, but this has always been the case in Thailand.

Heineken taste is always all over the place. I don't know if this is to do with the way it it stored/transported or some special ingredients during the brewing process, but this has always been the case in Thailand.

It is brewed locally so perhaps slightly different ingredients. :)

I seriously doubt that.

It is a product known all over the world, so I doubt they knowingly add something, or change it during the process.

I normally drink Heineken and have noticed slightly different taste here and there.

One reason is the fact that many of the establishments are cooling the beer down to just above freezing temperature, as they seem to think this is how it is supposed to be stored and prepared.

This will very soon start to make the taste change fast.

Any beer lover knows that beer is not supposed to be on freezing temperature, as it will quickly destroy the beer.

Anyhow, I have found out that the big bottles with Heineken taste better than the smaller ones.

Have no idea why.

The recipe doesn't change from country to country - that's a constant. What does change is the water used, and that can affect the taste profoundly. Ever noticed the difference between Guinness brewed in Dublin and Guinness brewed in England under license? It's a different drink.

Also, as Travel2003 points out, the temperature at which it is served has an influence. Personally, I like lager beers served very cold, just above freezing. Ales, however, are another thing, and should be served at cellar temperature.

I have noticed that regular Heineken is frequently "skunked" and that happens when it is exposed to the sun somewhere along the trip to your table from the brewery. For those who are not familiar with the term 'skunked" it smells and tastes a lot like a skunk. I personally prefer dark to black beer including :):D Heineken dark but hard to find at times. It is always good.

I have noticed that regular Heineken is frequently "skunked" and that happens when it is exposed to the sun somewhere along the trip to your table from the brewery. For those who are not familiar with the term 'skunked" it smells and tastes a lot like a skunk. I personally prefer dark to black beer including :):D Heineken dark but hard to find at times. It is always good.

You are absolutely correct regarding the sun exposure results.

You are absolutely correct regarding the sun exposure results.

The tragedy is that many people think that skunkiness is a normal attribute of "good" beer. I suppose that's because they were raised to believe that Heineken is the quintessential good beer. Fine for them if they like it that way, but unfortunately it encourages other brewers to use green bottles (which increases the chances of the beer getting skunked upon beiing light struck).

Sorry, didnt notice any difference, still tastes like horse piss.

Haven't drunk it for at least 20 years, would be pleased to know the taste has improved.

+1!

Laygar in this country, as in most countries . . . is like rgs says . . . horse piss.

I like a nice cup of tea. Another rarity round these 'ere parts.

I think 'skunked' means spoiled.

In any case, I don't care about any variations in the taste of it. To me, drinking Heineken is like having sex in a canoe.

'skunked" refers to the smell & taste of a sulfur compound that forms due to a reaction that is catalyzed when the the hops in beer are exposed to light. If you've drunk Heineken, Becks, Stella, etc then you've no doubt tasted skunked beer at one time or another.

Edited by OriginalPoster

If I say to someone, "I think my beer is/has been skunked!", I'm sure the following replies could result:

1] Did a skunk pee in your beer?

2] How can a skunk affect your beer?

3] Do you have a skunk in your beer?

4] What's a skunk?

5] Don't you mean 'shrunk'?

Spot on, I've been saying this for years, but it's not just the sun, its when its been in a chiller that gets turned off and on, Corona's are the same, you only have to smell it to know its gone off, i stopped drinking Hein when Sam Mig lite came out in Thai, best thing to hit the market, i used to be unable to drink 1 in 4 Hein's before. Your right it smells like skunk, and will have an after taste for hours cant believe i never realized what the smell was.

If I say to someone, "I think my beer is/has been skunked!", I'm sure the following replies could result:

1] Did a skunk pee in your beer?

2] How can a skunk affect your beer?

3] Do you have a skunk in your beer?

4] What's a skunk?

5] Don't you mean 'shrunk'?

Obviously you and your friends are not very knowledgeable about beer then. At least your not embarrassed by your ignorance, that's to your credit.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Spot on, I've been saying this for years, but it's not just the sun, its when its been in a chiller that gets turned off and on, Corona's are the same, you only have to smell it to know its gone off, i stopped drinking Hein when Sam Mig lite came out in Thai, best thing to hit the market, i used to be unable to drink 1 in 4 Hein's before. Your right it smells like skunk, and will have an after taste for hours cant believe i never realized what the smell was.

I reckon this is very likely since most cheaper bars don't have fridge, just ice boxes. However, I did meet the boss of Thai Asia Pacific Brewery a few years ago and he reckoned that heat and sun does not affect Heineken beer. For sure something does. I have rarely had off beer anywhere but Thailand.