New Passport...transfer Visa...

I wanted to run this situation by the experts on the Board to see if anyone can confirm this is the case.

I recently received a new passport issued by my embassy in Bangkok. The old passport was stamped "Canceled" on the face page and two-holed punched thru from front to back covers. The canceled (old) passport contained my recently obtained (February 2010) Non-Imm O multi-entry visa valid till next year (Feb. 2011). The embassy suggested I have the visa transferred to the new passport and gave me an official letter requesting Thai immigration to do so.

So I go to Pattaya immigration in Jomtien today and inform the info desk lady I want to transfer a visa to my new passport. She gives me a form to fill out entitled "Request To Transfer Visa." I complete it and copy the face and visa pages of both passports. When I am directed to the appropriate desk, the officer examines my passports and visa and says there is no need to transfer the visa. He states that it's a multi-entry visa good for another year and whenever I travel outside the country to just take both passports with me to use at passport control. He further stated that on my first exit using the new passport, the officer will examine both passports and stamp the new passport with the exit stamp and make a "remark" [in the passport] that the corresponding visa is in the old passport.

Has anyone else had this experience before or knows if this is the correct and proper procedure?

My presumption is that for entries and exits from Thailand till the visa expires, I should just have both passports with me to show. Of course, when the visa expires and I obtain a new one in the new passport, then I can safety destroy the old passport. Does this sound about right?

Edited by FarangBuddha

Strange. I got my new passport in Jan 2008 and at my first visit for my "90 days" the officers transferred all things into my new passport such as my entry-card, my ret extension, my last travel into Thailand, and so on. I did not have the embassy request as mentioned by you but I could file this in the Imm Office. I did not leave Thailand since than (and have no intention to...).

Once a passport is not valid anymore it is not valid anymore ! I do keep my old passport since my first non im O is in that booklet. And I keep it in case the Dutch R.D. authorities might question my stay here.

I never throw away any old passports. And I keep a copy and all stamps in my computer too.

The short answer is that the visa is never transferred, [despite the title of the document] only the permission to remain. Therefore the Thai officer is correct, however, often for ease, the permission to remain data is transferred to the new passport thereby obviating the need to carry both. I was once told that if the visa was singular, not a renewal then Thai Immigration preferred the 2 passport route.

Regards

Immigration is correct that a visa cannot be transferred, because it is not issued by Thai immigration but by consulate abroad. The visa in your old passport remains valid for use, but you would need to travel using both passports until the visa expires. I am surprised that immigration did not transfer your current permisson to stay from your old passport to your new passport, because you cannot leave the country using your new passport until that has happened and computer records changed. Yes it can be done at the airport/land border crossing on exit, but may take time when you don't have the time. I would go back to immigration to get it fixed; doing so would also avoid potential difficulties/explanation should you be caught up in a routine police check.

A visa can not be transferred, but the extension of stay and the entry stamp can. I have these things done by the Imm Police here. My non im O is not valid anymore but for that stamp I have many extensions of stay by the Thai Officers. But when I leave Thailand I will take both passports with me. You never know......

The moment you leave the country they will transfer the details of your multi into the new passport at the border no problem whatsoever but be advised it can take up to an hour, they will ask you some questions about your last entry point into thailand and how you travelled there. They also take a photo of you at Nong khai friendship bridge (just like the airports).

However, as the original visa cannot be transferred and only the details of it, I would carry both until the visa finally expires.

I have just done this about three weeks ago at Nongkhai. I was going to do it at Chaengwattana but I was advised by some Thai friends working there it would be much less painful to do it at the border. I guess they were right as it took all of 20 minutes, but The Dutch guy after me had to wait an hour.

As the Thais say, Up to you.

Macanello

Thanks for the replies. I spoke to a friend about this and he confirmed that when he was in the same situation, he received the same advice from immigration. He said the officer actually stapled the two passports together and he would take them like that to the airport whenever he left the country during the validity of the visa. He put it down to the officers being too lazy to do the transfer work.

As an aside, the day I went to Jomtien immigration, the computer system was down and they were directing people with urgent business to the Sri Racha office. Maybe they were just tying to save me the trip as if the system was up they could transfer the entry-stamp over but as it was not absolutely necessary, they just advised to use both passports when traveling in/out of Thailand till the old visa expired.

Edited by FarangBuddha

I think his visa is the key, he has a Non-Imm O multi-entry visa.

The extension is transferred into the new passport, not the visa. He does not have an extension as other posters do.

Good point...I guess the devil is in these details when it comes to these visa entry/exit procedures.

There is no extension of anything in my passports...the old one has the Non-imm O multi-entry visa with the 90-day entry stamp and the new passport is completely blank. When I exit in a couple months I presume the passport control officer will stamp the new passport with the exit stamp and make a notation that the corresponding visa is in the old passport.

I think his visa is the key, he has a Non-Imm O multi-entry visa.

The extension is transferred into the new passport, not the visa. He does not have an extension as other posters do.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Immigration at airport/land border will need to transfer the permission to stay stamp you received on entry in your old passport to your new passport to allow exit and, as already said, that may take time with record locating and computer updating. You will not just get an exit stamp in your new passport on departure. If you choose to go that route make sure you leave plenty of time.

Correct visas cannot be transfered, only the current permit to stay.

Best to get it done at your local immigration office before you leave!!

However the old visa will be accepted by inbound Immigration, just show the old passport and the new one.

Strange that your embassy punches holes through the entire passport. :D

The UK clips the page corners and the Bangkok embassy is careful not to clip/cancel pages containing current Thai visas. :)

I am in the exact same situation as you. got a 1 year multiple entry o, and then had to get a new passport, which i got in bangkok. I never went to thai immigration after getting the new passport and left the country with no problem. I have come and gone from thailand about 5 times always showing both passports and have never had a problem, always get a 90 day stamp. So don't worry too much about it.

Immigration would also transfer a current re-entry permit across to the new passport too.

And what if the new passport is a normal travel passport, whilst the old (which still valid for several years but full of visa's, entry and exit stamps) is an official passport? Meanwhile I am retired and cannot apply for an official passport anylonger from my Government. But I recently received from the immigration police another one year stay permit as I continue to do the same job not as a staff member but as contractual.

Maybe I could get the UK embassy passport clerks to teach the USA embassy clerks some passport handling etiquette. :D

The UK clips the page corners and the Bangkok embassy is careful not to clip/cancel pages containing current Thai visas. :)

Edited by FarangBuddha

In febuary I got my new passport from the British Embassy, I went straight to Choc Chai immigration to have whatever transferred over.

I dont know exactly what they transferred because my passport is in my safe and I am too lazy to get it out for this, but whatever it was it took up four full pages, and took a hel_l of a lot of work and cost zero.

It sounds like your guy was just too lazy.

HL :)

Maybe I could get the UK embassy passport clerks to teach the USA embassy clerks some passport handling etiquette. :D

Note sure that you are talking about as the US Embassy puts holes in cover/bio data pages only. None in visa pages.

Immigration would also transfer a current re-entry permit across to the new passport too.

And what if the new passport is a normal travel passport, whilst the old (which still valid for several years but full of visa's, entry and exit stamps) is an official passport? Meanwhile I am retired and cannot apply for an official passport anylonger from my Government. But I recently received from the immigration police another one year stay permit as I continue to do the same job not as a staff member but as contractual.

That should not be a problem for a normal permitted to stay/extension. Both type of passports are valid for Thailand. However your extension of stay may be invalid. Is your extension of stay based on official job reasons or normal work reasons?

What do you mean with 'an official passport'?

By golly...you are correct. I just took another look and yes, the holes are only punched in the front and back covers (I had assumed they went all the way through) and "Canceled" stamped on the signature page.

It may be the case that they didn't bother to transfer the entry-stamp over at immigration as like I posted, the computer system was down that day. It is obviously a service they provideas they had a form for it which the information clerk gave to me. It was only the desk officer who said it was unnecessary.

Note sure that you are talking about as the US Embassy puts holes in cover/bio data pages only. None in visa pages.
Edited by FarangBuddha

• 1 month later...

Just to add the final piece of information to my op question, I did a visa-run to the border today from Pattaya with my old canceled passport (containing my non-imm O multi-entry visa and entry stamp) and my blank new passport. There was no problem. (My visa service initially advised me to go to immigration beforehand to have the visa/stamp transferred over but I advised that I had been told this could be done at the border [as I related above]. She said okay but to at least bring the embassy letter verifying the new passport and requesting Thai immigration to transfer over the visa.)

At the border, I was directed to the "over-stay" window where a polite officer did the paperwork and made whatever notation was necessary in the new passport and then stamped my exit-stamp in the new passport. It took about an extra 15 minutes. The officer did not request the embassy letter or any other documentation...just the old and new passports. When I made my return entry the officer made a few extra notations in the new passport and proceeded to stamp me back into Thailand :D

So apparently, you do not have to have a visa/entry-stamp transferred over to a new passport at an immigration office...this can be done when you make your next exit. (Of course, local customs and rules may vary :) )However, considering the lines and discourtesy for which the airport immigration officers are known, I'm sure it would still be a good idea to do it beforehand if possible if leaving by air.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Immigration at airport/land border will need to transfer the permission to stay stamp you received on entry in your old passport to your new passport to allow exit and, as already said, that may take time with record locating and computer updating. You will not just get an exit stamp in your new passport on departure. If you choose to go that route make sure you leave plenty of time.

My wife will have a 15 day stamp in her old passport when she receives her new one next month. She will then have to fly to Penang to apply for a non-immigrant O visa. Would you recommend we get the stamp transferred at Jomtien or just have it done at the airport when leaving. I didn't know this could be done at the airport.

Edited by tropo

My wife will have a 15 day stamp in her old passport when she receives her new one next month. She will then have to fly to Penang to apply for a non-immigrant O visa. Would you recommend we get the stamp transferred at Jomtien or just have it done at the airport when leaving. I didn't know this could be done at the airport.

If possible, I would have it done at the Jomtien office before the trip. Less hassle I'm sure than doing it at the airport and if there is any problem, it can be sorted beforehand (and you won't miss your flight).

At the land-border crossing, no pressure of a flight, no crowds, and officers more pleasant.