Switched Double Thai Sockets

JAS21

I really want to use double wall sockets, three pin and each socket switched. Simular to those used in the UK. I have only been able to find, on double sockets, one switched three pin and one un-switched two pin.

Has anyone come across three pin sockets and both switched. Suppose if I could find non-thai ones I could use a adapter, not too unsightly as they will be going inside a unit.

clipsal make them and are sold here, and they are quite aesthetic , do you have an earth? for the 3 pin, if not then why bother?

Thanks..I have just googled 'Clipsal sockets in Thailand' and found that they are not far from where I live so will go and look on Monday. I could actually get away with a switched 3-pin and an un-switched two pin. I actually saw these at the Home Pro Fare in Muang Thong Thani earlier this week.

They are to go inside cabinates, one for the TV and one for the satallite box. The satallite box can stay on s/by but I want to switch off the TV when it's not in use.

I thought that only Thais bought houses without an adequate earthing system!...thanks for the 'pointer' though...but I do just have a little idea about system earthing as part of my job was switching and earthing of systems up to 400kV as well as running up that 'big rotating thing' that makes the electric in the first place.

clipsal make them and are sold here, and they are quite aesthetic , do you have an earth? for the 3 pin, if not then why bother?

Because if it is switched off it's not live when you put the plug in.

Never experienced arcing across the prongs when you put a plug in a socket?

No my point was, if there is no earth wire, why do you need a 3 pin plug, as the the 3rd pin (earth) will not be doing anything towards safety aspects.

also arching happens all the time here in thailand, and if you had a good earth then then the MCB will trip, most common though is that NO earth is present, in which case RCD's are required for safety!!!! so I echo if you have no earth then why install a 3 pin socket outlet!

......but I do just have a little idea about system earthing as part of my job was switching and earthing of systems up to 400kV as well as running up that 'big rotating thing' that makes the electric in the first place.

Unless you are a member of a line maintenance crew and earth the line for safety reasons, dwelling electrical systems are grounded (earthed) for entirely different reasons than the neutral point of that 'big rotating thing'.

No my point was, if there is no earth wire, why do you need a 3 pin plug, as the the 3rd pin (earth) will not be doing anything towards safety aspects.

also arching happens all the time here in thailand, and if you had a good earth then then the MCB will trip, most common though is that NO earth is present, in which case RCD's are required for safety!!!! so I echo if you have no earth then why install a 3 pin socket outlet!

OK to finalise Mr 666 and thank you, yes I live in a new house..well about four years old now... It's got a SAFT-T-CUT, I have checked polarity on all circuits (got one of Crossys little testers..very useful... and that the earth wires are continuous between the sockets and Dist Bd..surprised me that they actually were!!. I even managed to get the SAFE-T-CUT people to come and check their unit...free of charge... I met them at a show and we had a bit of a chat.

Our area has MEN but I found that 'someone' had forgot..or didn't know that you should install an MEN link. When I asked for the electrical test results...I got the Thai smile and he said 'O I lost them but they were ok'. The 'electrical expert' even ran all the wires short so had to extend them to reach the Dist Bd MCBs (he just twisted them together !)...I made him re-do with crimps.

So thanks to all contributers. I THINK THAT WE CAN CLOSE this now as I have found what I wanted. Thanks guys.

Because some appliances have 3-pin plugs on them?

OK to finalise Mr 666 and thank you, yes I live in a new house..well about four years old now... It's got a SAFT-T-CUT, I have checked polarity on all circuits (got one of Crossys little testers..very useful... and that the earth wires are continuous between the sockets and Dist Bd..surprised me that they actually were!!. I even managed to get the SAFE-T-CUT people to come and check their unit...free of charge... I met them at a show and we had a bit of a chat.

Our area has MEN but I found that 'someone' had forgot..or didn't know that you should install an MEN link. When I asked for the electrical test results...I got the Thai smile and he said 'O I lost them but they were ok'. The 'electrical expert' even ran all the wires short so had to extend them to reach the Dist Bd MCBs (he just twisted them together !)...I made him re-do with crimps.

So thanks to all contributers. I THINK THAT WE CAN CLOSE this now as I have found what I wanted. Thanks guys.

Are you quite sure that the MEN system is implemented in your area? Test results- LOST? Did not know if a MEN was to be fitted? Do you have a main earth and electrode? Were polarity tests carried out on the incoming supply?