Dual Citizenship Childrens In Thailand

kraxlhuber

it would be interesting to hear how are other parents are faring with one partner Foreigner and the other Thai.

Have two children in the early teenage bracket.

They attend to a private school here in the small provincial town.

Is there any law that the boy has to service in the armed forces when he is 18 ,here in Thailand "And / or"in the foreign country , can he choose?

When has he and his sister ,have to make up their mind what citizenship to retain,good questions eh, .

I like to give either of them a plot of land,intend to build small house on each lease, the house can be in my name??

One post in the past suggested to build a house on rollers to move somewhere,has anybody done that.

A houseboat would be a option.

Where can i buy a complete prefab house(not that one advertised in the BP for 500 Thou.looks like a doghouse to me

I think as far as your children making a choice as to their citizenship when they turn legal age may vary country to country. I have two friends that share dual nationality both US-Thai. My son who is 18 months old is also a Thai-US citizen, holding both a Thai BC and a consular "birth abroad" certificate from the embassy giving him full rights as a US citizen, along with dual passports.

One of my friends lived in Thailand until he was 8 years old then lived in Minnesota for the next 16 years returning to LOS when he was 24 years old. My other friend lived in Missouri until he was 4 years old, moving to The US and returned to LOS when he was 26 years old. One is a business owner given full rights as any other Thai merchant, and the other is a food and beverage manager at a high end hotel in Bangkok given full employment rights as a Thai citizen. The food and bev. manager owns his own home here, and inherited the land when his grandmother died.

Both have family here and in the US and both hold dual passports. They never had to make a "choice". Maybe this has to do with the Treaty of Amity between the US and Thailand, but i am not sure. What I am sure of is that the issue of choosing as to whether to be Thai or American is a non issue for the both of them.

Edited by mizzi39

My son holds both a Thai and UK passport, although the UK passport expired years ago. I assume he would be be able to simply apply for a new one. He is 21 years old and in three weeks time will have to attend the conscription draw. Although this year he has applied for a postponment for educational reasons, he still must show up on the day of the draw.

They will have to serve, if living in Thailand. But they can do military training at school and not be drafted. They will be part of the reserve army though. I don't know if serving in anotehr army will exempt them, some countries have that exemption in case of dual nationality, so they don't need to serve twice.

Under Thai law they don't have to make a decision on which natioanlity they would like to retain, they can have dual nationality. It might be different under their other nationality.

As Thai citizens they can own land, also as minors. If you want to build a house on the land and make a lease, get advise from a lawyer. The parents are the guardians over the property of the children, but will need prior court apporval for certain things. Also when there is a conlfict of interest court aproval is needed.

They will have to serve, if living in Thailand. But they can do military training at school and not be drafted. They will be part of the reserve army though. I don't know if serving in anotehr army will exempt them, some countries have that exemption in case of dual nationality, so they don't need to serve twice.

Under Thai law they don't have to make a decision on which natioanlity they would like to retain, they can have dual nationality. It might be different under their other nationality.

As Thai citizens they can own land, also as minors. If you want to build a house on the land and make a lease, get advise from a lawyer. The parents are the guardians over the property of the children, but will need prior court apporval for certain things. Also when there is a conlfict of interest court aproval is needed.

I had asked the missus to find out if the kids can own land:

The answer;she said from the Amphoe clerk was,they have dual citizenship and can only own land if they revoke the other(foreign citizenship)

I believe you, and thanks, think there might be something fishy on the wifes side of info?

She bought land in different places and names of the family,maybe its already hooked?

How can I find that out, that the land(s) in question are free of dept?(I hold now the Chanut of all the properties and locked them away), as the land plots were previously mortgaged (without me knowing it)and it cost me a arm and a leg to get it back.

I would like the kids have some property and security,as I am not soo young anymore.

Since we are on the family site:is it possible that the kids have seperate bank-accounts in their name?

My wife and I are their guardians,I like to have money for them deposited,which they only can access,say after 18 years of age.

There is no requirement to renounce their other nationality. They are 100% Thai and 100% their other natonaility, with the same rights and obligations as any other person with that nationality.

Remember that the amphur is not about land, that is the land office.

If you want to arrange everythng properly, get a good lawyer. There are some good Bangkok based firms and if you are in the isaan I would recommend isaan lawyers. They have a good article on wills, whcih you can find here:

http://www.thailawonline.com/en/inheritanc...law-living-will

Note that they will update the article soon.

The answer;she said from the Amphoe clerk was,they have dual citizenship and can only own land if they revoke the other(foreign citizenship)

I believe you, and thanks, think there might be something fishy on the wifes side of info?

She bought land in different places and names of the family,maybe its already hooked?

How can I find that out, that the land(s) in question are free of dept?(I hold now the Chanut of all the properties and locked them away), as the land plots were previously mortgaged (without me knowing it)and it cost me a arm and a leg to get it back.

I would like the kids have some property and security,as I am not soo young anymore.

Since we are on the family site:is it possible that the kids have seperate bank-accounts in their name?

My wife and I are their guardians,I like to have money for them deposited,which they only can access,say after 18 years of age.

My daughter has dual nationality, Thai and UK. I had land put into her name when she was 4 years old. No problem what so ever.

Maybe it's just misinformation from the Amphoe clerk?

Quite often 'officials' say the first thing that comes into their head without checking the true situation so that they don't appear to not know what they should know.

The clerk has probably never come across a person with dual nationality before. Unless you have other reasons not to trust your wife?

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to try get dual citizenship with my 6 month old son and put a home I have built into his name. First i must see if he can get citizenship, he should as his mother is Thai; and my infant son and I are Aussie. Hopefully he will be dual in the not too distant future.

Can your children be Directors in a company, would be another question i would ask... I am quessing an age limit applies, not under 18yo, etc???

The land and house one will be an interesting one...

Pretty confident on getting the dual citizenship of Aussie\Thai......

Don't know specifically about directors but Thai family law does specify that you cannot put a minor into depth or create obligations and responsibilities for him.

Section 1574

A person exercising parental power cannot enter into any of the following juristic acts with regard to the property of the minor except with permission of the court;

(1) Selling, exchanging, sale with right of redemption, letting out property on hire-purchase, mortgaging, releasing mortgage to mortgagor or transferring the right of mortgage on immovable property or on mortgageable movable property;

(2) Extinguishing the whole or a part of real right of the minor on immovable property;

(3) Creating servitude, right of inhabitation, right of superficies, usufruct or any charge on immovable property;

(4) Disposing of the whole or a part of the claim the purpose of which is to create real right on immovable property or on mortgageable property, or the claim the purpose of which is to have a real right on such property of the minor relieved;

(5) Letting immovable property for more than three years;

(6) Creating any commitments the purpose of which is to achieve the objective as provided in (1), (2) and (3);

(7) Making a loan of money;

(8) Making a gift, except out of the income of the minor on the minor’s behalf for charitable, social or moral purposes, and suitable to the minor’s condition in life;

(9) Accepting a gift subject to any condition or charge, or refusing a gift;

(10) Giving guarantee by any means whatsoever which may cause the minor to be compelled to perform an obligation or to enter into other juristic act, as requiring the minor to perform an obligation to other person or on behalf of other person;

(11) Making benefit out of the property other than those provided in Section 1598/4 (1), (2) or (3)

(12) Making a compromise;

(13) Submitting a dispute to arbitration.

I am going to try get dual citizenship with my 6 month old son and put a home I have built into his name. First i must see if he can get citizenship, he should as his mother is Thai; and my infant son and I are Aussie. Hopefully he will be dual in the not too distant future.

Can your children be Directors in a company, would be another question i would ask... I am quessing an age limit applies, not under 18yo, etc???

The land and house one will be an interesting one...

Pretty confident on getting the dual citizenship of Aussie\Thai......

Your son has both natonalities all ready, and both countries don't have a problem with dual nationality. I guess he was born in Australia? In that case you have to apply for a Thai birth certificate at the embassy and at the same time you can apply for a Thai passport.

Making him a director is probely not possible, but he can be the owner and his possesions managed by his parents. All possiesions would be his and protected by law. In some cases you would need prior court permission to make decissions regarding his property.