100 Pheu Thai MPs Boycott House Meeting

webfact

100 Pheu Thai MPs boycott House meeting

BANGKOK: -- Some 100 Pheu Thai Party MPs refused to enter the compound of Parliament to attend the House meeting, saying soldiers must first be pulled out from around Parliament.

The MPs gathered outside the gate on the side of Dusi Zoo and refused to pass through the military line.

They said the deployment of soldiers to be positioned around the Parliament was like a military interference in civilian politics.

Without the presence of Pheu Thai MPs, the House could not make quorum as of 9:40 am.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-24

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opposition to Impeach PM

BANGKOK: -- The Pheu Thai Party has announced its intention to impeach Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva for allowing the military to surround the Parliament compound.

They say they will not participate in any Parliamentary activities until the prime minister is impeached.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-03-24

Are these guys for real? Not much time for discussing these things this week, but...

Lets see. PTP refuses to participate because of soldiers. Demonstrators backed by PTP have threatened the government. Hmmm.... A grenade attack was launched at yesterday's cabinet meeting. Last year Redshirts attacked P.M. Abhisit's driver and who knows what would have happened if he had been in the car. A great politician's contributions ended by a mob perhaps. Hmmm, and they object to the military protecting the governemnt. Wonder why?

Seems to me the PTP politicians should be impeached rather than Abhisit, but that is a nonexistant straw they are clutching at there.

Well have to get back to my tasks at hand.

No work, no pay. Let's see how long they will continue.

Another point: my wife told me there's a law saying if an MP steps down he has to pay THB 10 million, to help with cost of elections...

Are these guys for real? Not much time for discussing these things this week, but...

Lets see. PTP refuses to participate because of soldiers. Demonstrators backed by PTP have threatened the government. Hmmm.... A grenade attack was launched at yesterday's cabinet meeting. Last year Redshirts attacked P.M. Abhisit's driver and who knows what would have happened if he had been in the car. A great politician's contributions ended by a mob perhaps. Hmmm, and they object to the military protecting the governemnt. Wonder why?

Seems to me the PTP politicians should be impeached rather than Abhisit, but that is a nonexistant straw they are clutching at there.

No work, no pay. Let's see how long they will continue.

Another point: my wife told me there's a law saying if an MP steps down he has to pay THB 10 million, to help with cost of elections...

But he gets paid for changing sides. How wonderfully Thai.

The other online news also reported that they were upset since they had to walk to parliament and they would lose their dignity.

Ahhhh, poor PT had their "wittle" feelings hurt.

Grow up!

Edited by frodo

So i guess if the military didn't protect the building and the reds seized it (ala Yellow Shirt Tactics - which the reds did report they 'had not ruled out using the same tactics') the PTP politicians would be lambasting the govt for not coming to parliament, right?

The other online news also reported that they were upset since they had to walk to parliament and they would lose their dignity.

Grow up!

Lose their dignity. :):D

In the grand scale or world politics, I don't think dignified is a word often associated with Thai parliamentarians.

Pheu Thai Refuses to Attend Today’s Parliament Session

BANGKOK: -- Opposition Whip Chairman Wittaya Buranasiri has announced that Pheu Thai Party MPs will not be attending today’s Parliament session.

They are boycotting the session because of the military presence around the Parliament compound as the government heightens security measures in the area due to the red shirt protests.

Wittaya Buranasiri revealed that opposition MPs had asked House Speaker Chai Chidchob to issue an order for all military personnel to leave the area.

They claim that the military presence does not bode well for Thai democracy as there is a distinct interference in the legislative branch of power.

Wittaya claims that military officers are intimidating parliamentarians and civil servants at the Parliament compound by demanding to do vehicle and body searches. He posed a question to the government, asking if this is a new type of coup.

On the other hand, the government insists the security presence is necessary as there is a possibility that the red shirt protesters will surround the Parliament compound when the prime minister arrives to attend the meeting today.

Since the government refuses to order the military to vacate the premises, the opposition Pheu Thai Party have issued a party resolution that its MPs will not attend today’s session.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-03-24

The military are the government so what is the problem?

Why doesn't the Peau Thai Party order the red shirts to vacate the local premises, then everyone can get back to their work/normal life in Bangkok and all of the soldiers can be withdrawn...saving the country a lot of money...and the government can try to deal with the country's other problems...No that won't happen. The opposition has taken their task as the opposition party literally to heart without any thought-maybe because they can't think-oppose anything and everything proposed by this government.

They should charge a fine for every member that skips a meeting (and they should also forego pay) after so many absences-give them a sick leave just like a job.

Edited by orchidlady

This is the real reason.

Without the presence of Pheu Thai MPs, the House could not make quorum as of 9:40 am.

This is nothing more than a maneuver to stop all government law making and functioning,

besides the Ministries and the Cabinet.

This is the logical thoughts of people who would run the country as THEY see fit,

and dam_n all others needs and wants. They will stop government functioning if they can,

because they aren't getting their way, and so harm every citizen of Thailand in the process.

They prove once again that they do not in ANY SENSE deserve to be handed control of the nation.

If they can't be back in power, they will hamstring the nation until they get their way.

They are acting despicably.

Edited by animatic

Grow up!

LOL, I walk a km to the MRT and they are two ggod to walk a short distance...? Actually I suspect that the Redshirts would like to see the Parliament undefended, hence their being upset about the soldiers...

This is the real reason.

This is nothing more than a maneuver to stop all government law making and functioning,

This is the logical thoughts of people who would run the country as THEY see fit,

and dam_n all others needs and wants. They will stop government functioning if they can,

because they aren't getting their way, and so harm every citizen of Thailand in the process.

They prove once again that they do not in ANY SENSE deserve to be handed control of the nation.

If they can't be back in power, they will hamstring the nation until they get their way.

Better if they invaded the airport and closed it down then just like the Yellow shirts did, after all that's not a 'despicable act' is it? If they did that they would deserve to be handed control of the country! :)

This is the real reason.

Better if they invaded the airport and closed it down then just like the Yellow shirts did, after all that's not a 'despicable act' is it? If they did that they would deserve to be handed control of the country! :)

Topic drift, out of order.

This is about the current situation and not the past situation.

Though the one tie in point is Thaksin was central to causing BOTH DEBACLES.

How many more years do you plan to go on using bad acts of the yellows as justification for bad acts of the reds?

Just because you feel that some are selective in what they condemn, doesn't mean you have to sink to their level, does it?

This is the real reason.

Topic drift, out of order.

This is about the current situation and not the past situation.

Though the one tie in point is Thaksin was central to causing BOTH DEBACLES.

Typical! Forget the past, it doesn't matter any more... The Yellow shirts need to be held accountable for their actions in the past and with the current government, that was not elected in by the people, this won't happen. The Red's are trying in some form to restart the political process however the countries elite (including some farangs by the look of it) don't want that to happen... I'm staying neutral on Thaksin's involvement as this is clouding some of the issues that the Red's are striving for...

dictatorial

I would like to see some democracy in this country like the current PM spouts on about... but what I keep seeing is more dictatorial.. Not looking good for the future here.

MNM

Games

yes and as already underlined in another thread both parties are heading to the clash.

(see link: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacifi...iland-protests)

The quorum is not there, so the "house" is stalling... Government cannot pass any more laws....

temperature and pressure are increasing by one more step today.

They have a quorum actually. If the coaltion stick together that isnt a problem plus they can rely on a few PTP MPs who are actually likely to join BJT later.

It is still all games. I think PTP thought government wouldnt achieve quorum. Be interesting to see what happens next but the real decisions and deals are happening behinfd closed doors so we wont really know until it is over if at all.

the current government, that was not elected in by the people

Which MP in the current government was not elected?

All of them.. Trying to 'win' an election by taking out your main competitor is not very democratic... Please tell me, how many Yellows have been convicted so far for besieging the countries International Airport or at all?? I bet the answer is zero. All a bit one sided considering the Red's won 2 elections previously (although I am sure both sides were encouraging people to vote with their $$$ skills).

MNM

The agenda is pushed into top gear, lets see how far all these people are willing to go..

for their Sponsors and their very own benefit!

The show is mind boggling!

But so very, very TiT!

It fit's the fabric of this society by all means!

...he who sowed, will reap...

Edited by Samuian

House convenes despite opposition boycott

BANGKOK: -- The House session has convened this morning after a slight delay due to the opposition's boycott of tight security.

About 245 coalition MPs reported to duty in full force to achieve the quorum. Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva took part in the quorum count as Democrat MP.

House Speaker Chai Chidchob reprimanded the Pheu Thai MPs for trying to deny his entry by to Parliament.

A number of opposition lawmakers lined up in front of a main security checkpoint blocking access to the legislative building for about an hour before agreeing to disperse.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-24

All of them.. Trying to 'win' an election by taking out your main competitor is not very democratic... Please tell me, how many Yellows have been convicted so far for besieging the countries International Airport or at all?? I bet the answer is zero. All a bit one sided considering the Red's won 2 elections previously (although I am sure both sides were encouraging people to vote with their $$$ skills).

MNM

The leaders have been charged and are awaiting trial, so stop telling lies and stick to the truth.

MNM

Please stop posting factually wrong accounts on current events, it is disruptive to the forum debate and will derail the topic at hand.

All MPs in the current government and parliament was elected. That is how one gets into the parliament.