Thai Police Believe Family Massacre A Personal Revenge

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand the story we have a policeman who has been accused of murder, skips bail, then kills most of a family.

I think its reasonable to say that if this policeman had been on in jail, on remand, during his trial, he would not have skipped bail and this family would be alive. I find it rather disappointing that non of the press seem to be asking who granted bail and in light of what happened to this family ask them to justify their actions.

'Betrayal' led to murder

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_10180.jpg

PATHUM THANI: -- A police lieutenant was arrested yesterday for Thursday's murder of a fellow officer and three family members over a personal conflict.

Speaking to the press after his arrest in Pathum Thani province, Lieutenant Montree Kaewrat said: "A friend must be honest to a friend, or else everything must end in death. I would not have done it had he not betrayed me."

Montree said he was sorry for killing the wife and two of the children of Pol Lieutenant Rachan Phanwong, a fellow officer at Bang Khun Non police station in Nonthaburi province.

Pathum Thani police said it was not an extramarital affair Rachan was having with a woman that led to the killing after all.

Luk thung singer Sornthep Sornthong, whose female relative was thought to be the woman involved, appeared at Bang Khun Non police station to confirm the Pathum Thani police statement dismissing the alleged affair.

Police said Montree had been on the run since shooting a woman to death at a railway crossing in Kanchanaburi province last July in a fit of road rage. While hiding in the Northeast, he had borrowed money from Rachan shortly before narrowly escaping a police raid.

Montree believed Rachan had tipped off the police as to his whereabouts.

He said he shot Rachan and his wife Nawarat with a home-made pistol, then all three children with Rachan's handgun. Rawissara, 6, survived but is in intensive care.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Yes, the guy's a real sicko if he said what was printed.

How to be wary of such people? I don't know, they're like landmines, and can explode at any time.

He should have been locked up for life earlier, when he was first convicted of a henious crime. - or if he was alloted bail earlier, then that was a big misjudgment by whomever granted bail. Let's hope the injured little girl is under tight security (by private security officials, not cops). If Montree has any friends who are 1/10th as bestial as himself, she could be in further danger.

Girl, 6, only survivor in killing of policeman, family

By The Nation

Three months ago he was suspended from the service for alleged attempted murder firing his handgun at a person after using his car to chase and ram a group!

Pathum Thani police chief Pol MajGeneral Methee Kasalasang said he learned that Rachan was having affairs with many women!

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-26

Obviously I do not condone cold blooded murder, and I feel very sorry for the young survivor. Gotta say tho' it looks like this guy's time was fast running out, he was playing russian roulette with his own life and definitely his family's by the way he conducted himself both as a cop and as a family man. That's if the media report has any truth to it! who knows?

He has been on the run for quite sometime and the police could nt find him.

Then he takes out 4 in minutes and he was caught within hours?

Only if they had seriously looked for him the first time. Oh wait the first victim was a civilian, probably with no connection.

Sounds like he picked the wrong mia noi! Strange that they did the whole family though, obviously a message.

very tragic. a message for whom?

It could possibly be a message to the fact that the wife knew about the affair but turned a ‘blind eye’ and that anyone who feels like pumping up the mia noi should think twice about it, because if discovered the retribution would be severe.

This guy is a seriously evil head case,

but it's debatable he understands his actions properly.

Killing children in cold blood like this is not the action of a sane mind...

No doubt his time in hiding and in fear of being caught degraded his already

warped mental processes enough to think his 'almost being caught after seeing

the Lt.' is reason to think he was betrayed by him...

He's my friend first and a police officer 2nd... so he must protect me,

even if I tried to kill someone in a road rage incident.. but our friendship

MUST be more important than public safety....

Either way this is a demented individual to think death is the only response for this.

My fear is he will be found not guilty because he is

incapable of understanding how evil his actions are.

The posters here who blame the killings on Thais or Thai culture or lack thereof would better read up on what happens on almost daily basis in our so-called "civilized" western countries.

Austrians keep sexual slaves in cellars, Americans commit serial murders just to conceal the one murder they really wanted to commit in the series, Swiss youth beats an unsuspecting 40 year old man to death in a railway station...

The posters who think they are oh-so-superior make me sick.

Yep every country has sick people.

However:

This was a premeditated "hit" over either "business" Thai style or "Betrayal". I don't believe I have ever heard of anything like it before perhaps with the exception of the "Cocaine Cowboy Columbians" of Miami in the 80's, I believe a 4 year old child was killed by automatic gunfire whist travelling with his father in a car, his father being a target.

So as this was a "hit" it was driven by greed and or gain. I was appaled when I read of a wounded 6 year old so did not take on board that a further two siblings were executed (until it was pointed out). What other culture anywhere in the world values life so cheaply as Thailand? Sorry but the whole Thai culture thing is coming apart at the seams, the place is driven by greed.

Lowest crime I have ever heard of. :)

I agree with Tatt2dude.

For all those defending Thai society and culture by giving examples of crimes committed in other countries, how many of these countries have had the people who are employed to serve and protect the population regularly committed such acts.

I cannot recall any incidents similar to this being made public in Europe, it is fairly common here for the police to be involved in murder, there have been numerous incidents where a falang has been murdered by a serving police officer who normally has been put up to it by some greedy Thai tart.

Like it or not life for the average Thai has little value and as is so often seen can be snuffed out for very little reason or gain. My wife was not surprised that the culprit was a fellow officer.

How many people in Europe get bail or an act of road rage culminating in the senseless murder of a female, the culture here is that money can assist getting bail in such a case.

Either way this is a demented individual to think death is the only response for this.

So I wonder:

- What behavioral testing is conducted before people join the police?

- I guess he would have been in the force for at least 6, 7, 8 years before being promoted as far as Lt. How come his attitudes weren't picked up before he was promoted this far and before this awful tragedy?

- Is this another case of buying promotions, and capability and suitability not even considered?

The posters here who blame the killings on Thais or Thai culture or lack thereof would better read up on what happens on almost daily basis in our so-called "civilized" western countries.

Austrians keep sexual slaves in cellars, Americans commit serial murders just to conceal the one murder they really wanted to commit in the series, Swiss youth beats an unsuspecting 40 year old man to death in a railway station...

The posters who think they are oh-so-superior make me sick.

Yep every country has sick people.

However:

This was a premeditated "hit" over either "business" Thai style or "Betrayal". I don't believe I have ever heard of anything like it before perhaps with the exception of the "Cocaine Cowboy Columbians" of Miami in the 80's, I believe a 4 year old child was killed by automatic gunfire whist travelling with his father in a car, his father being a target.

So as this was a "hit" it was driven by greed and or gain. I was appaled when I read of a wounded 6 year old so did not take on board that a further two siblings were executed (until it was pointed out). What other culture anywhere in the world values life so cheaply as Thailand? Sorry but the whole Thai culture thing is coming apart at the seams, the place is driven by greed.

Lowest crime I have ever heard of. :)

Agree with you.

There was a similar incident in Sydney late last year where an entire family was murdered, although not by the own father....I don't believe there has been an arrest yet, I cant remember the family name, but one family member survived, a young teenage girl, but only because she wasnt home at the time. Shocking.

Can we torture Pol Lt Montree's children (he probably has many) ... s l o w l y ... and make him watch the proceedings. No we can't, but we would love to. :D

I guess they both shared the same 'women' - stupid Thai as usual.

Why does it feel sometimes that I am visiting a tribe that have never been touched by 'human values' before. There are "sick" people everywhere I guess :) - but Thailand "shines" above many places.

In his defence I would say both he and his primary victim's are both victims of warped SE asian cultural values. To whit the arcane rituals and blood-oaths the paramilitaries live and die by. The unquestioning faith in "the system" Social conditioning in childhood of rabid nationalism and adherence to any ideology implanted by social superiors that leaves them open to suggestion and induction.

Then I'd euthanase him according to my warped western ones.

So I wonder:

- What behavioral testing is conducted before people join the police?

- I guess he would have been in the force for at least 6, 7, 8 years before being promoted as far as Lt. How come his attitudes weren't picked up before he was promoted this far and before this awful tragedy?

- Is this another case of buying promotions, and capability and suitability not even considered?

This last line strikes deep at the question I think.

The least moralistic of police, are fastest to grow the richest,

and so buy their way up the chain fastest.

This also is a case study about why this type of system has created such a glaringly bad leadership

at the top of the police. Only the most corrupt and immoral AND smart, make it to the final rungs.

But what destruction do they leave in their paths?

And a serious violent nutcase, like this Montree might have seemed a useful

and disposable tool to some higher up with needs for occasional "wet work"...

This guy may have been useful and protected till his psychosis slipped it's chain totally.

------------------------------

Seri-Thai I think we are on the same page...

I have made many comments before about the overall sociology issues here.

Edited by animatic

Is this another case of buying promotions, and capability and suitability not even considered?
This also is a case study about why this type of system has created such a glaringly bad leadership

at the top of the police. Only the most corrupt and immoral AND smart, make it to the final rungs.

These are 2 of the points I've always considered to be the bane of so many facets of life in LOS. Not what you know but who you know and what you're willing to do (or not as the case may be) to an infinite degree.

So I'm a very high up police general. I've got to the top by deviousness, helping "influential" people, ignoring things that might cause "problems", kissing the right <deleted> and generally being an all round immoral shit.

Now what do I do? Promote aspiring moralistic young officers dedicated to their job to be my team? fuc_k no! Give me equally unscrupulous bastards who want their own slice of the cake and aren't going to rock the boat for my gravy train. People who aren't bothered that on my salary I own a 5 star resort in Phuket. People who'd never question why a junior officer sports more bling than P Diddy. Oinkers like that.

This last line strikes deep at the question I think.

The least moralistic of police, are fastest to grow the richest,

and so buy their way up the chain fastest.

And a serious violent nutcase, like this Montree might have seemed a useful

and disposable tool to some higher up with needs for occasional "wet work"...

This guy may have been useful and protected till his psychosis slipped it's chain totally.

------------------------------

Seri-Thai I think we are on the same page...

I have made many comments before about the overall sociology issues here.

"The least moralistic of police, are fastest to grow the richest, " <---Reminds me of the British Purchase System where they BOUGHT their way to high military rank. Didn't work out too well in the Crimea..."Chaaaarge!"

" till his psychosis slipped it's chain totally."<--- I like that one. :)

Sounds like he picked the wrong mia noi! Strange that they did the whole family though, obviously a message.

very tragic. a message for whom?

Just about everyone thinking of visiting Thailand, added to the other recent news stories this gives a clear message that it is not the land of smiles, who in there right mind could shoot a six year old kid no matter what the father had done.

Don't blame Thailand. This kind of garbage happens all over the world, and is comparatively rare in Asia. In fact, most of the other circumstances are considerably worse.

Germany:

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,1334018,00.html

Brazil:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8590924.stm

Sweden:

http://www.thelocal.se/10610/20080320/

Austria:

http://www.newser.com/story/42588/child-mu...zl-charges.html

South Africa

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1899609.stm

UPDATE

Cop charged over 4 killings

By The Nation on Sunday

PATHUM THANI: -- A police officer arrested on Friday for murdering four members of a family was taken yesterday to Pathum Thani Provincial Court for a custody hearing.

Police opposed his temporary release pending investigation, on grounds that this case was serious and had caught the public interest.

Pol Lieutenant Montree Kaewrat, 38, was charged with killing Lieutenant Rachan Phanwong, his fellow officer at Bang Bua Thong police station in Nonthaburi, on Thursday, along with his wife and two of their children, over a personal conflict.

Only Rachan's six-year-old daughter survived the massacre.

Wardens at the provincial prison were urged to keep a close watch on Montree to prevent the inmate from committing suicide, as he looked very tense, police said.

So far nobody has applied to bail him out, not even his wife, who visited him on Friday evening.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-28

There is an almost unbelievable tide of everyday human stupidity and cruelty available online at the Phnom Penh Post's police blotter, where there are stories of monks executing recalcitrant elephants, domestic disputes settled by hammer, and other craziness. One guy cut his wife's head off and then threw a grenade into her room to make sure she was dead, blowing off a couple of his fingers as he did so and alerting other villagers that something was amiss.

From yesterday:

GRANDMA GUNNED DOWN IN ROBBERY

A 73-year-old woman was shot while walking along the road in Phnom Penh’s Russey Keo district on Tuesday. Local police said that three robbers wanted to snatch a money bag from a schoolgirl, but that they were not successful. After that, one of the robbers wished to shoot the girl, but he got confused and shot the older woman, who happened to be walking by. Police have sent the woman to hospital.

I'm sure the Thai-language press has plenty of this sort of stuff, too.