Taxis In Chiang Mai

peanut

Hi

I haven't been to Chiang Mai before but I was told it's not as easy to find a taxi as it is in Bangkok.

So, could someone please help me with this:

- is it easy to find a taxi at the airport?

- how much I should expect to pay for a 30-40 minute ride?

Thanks!

Are we talking about the metered Taxi? From airport they are cheap. Fixed price is 120B (sedan size car) anywhere around the city. 180B for the bigger (small SUV size) car.

If you want to use them after that well...depends on how far you want to go. They may or may not be cheaper then the Red Trucks (rot saong taew) or tuktuks.

Red trucks are everywhere though. :)

Not sure why they call them Metered Taxis because there are no meters used. All prices are pre-agreed before the journey.

Lots of Red Trucks (Song Teaw) taxis and Tuk Tuks of course, but the air-con taxi cars are only allowed to tout for business outside certain venues and are not permitted to stop if you try and flag one down in the street like you can in Bkk.

Quite a convenient service though, even though a little pricey sometimes when ordering by phone. It's my guess they are charging for the picking up as well as the trip which makes short journeys more costly than the 35 Baht quick trips in the capital's cabs.

For anyone interested, here's the number for Chiang Mai Taxis: 053 279 291 (English speaking). But make sure you can pronounce collection and drop off points so that they can understand otherwise you might end up with some unwanted frustrations.

Aitch

Taxis are plentiful at CNX and I've never encountered any of the BKK-type problems with the drivers. My place is about 20 minutes from the airport, and that is a fixed price of 300Bt.

No problems unless you ask them to put the meter on. Outside the airport a while ago an older lady, struggling with 4 bags, asked a driver to take her to the Montri Hotel at Therpae Gate. He quoted her 300 baht.I just happened to be passing her on foot ,she asked was that the right price ? I of course said "no way" This brought an angry retort from the driver and he drove off. While this might be an isolated incident ,why will they not use the meters ? They would rather no customer than do the right thing. In Bangkok that trip distance would have been no more than 120 baht and he would have most likely picked up another fare at that location.

Are we talking about the metered Taxi? From airport they are cheap. Fixed price is 120B (sedan size car) anywhere around the city. 180B for the bigger (small SUV size) car.

If you want to use them after that well...depends on how far you want to go. They may or may not be cheaper then the Red Trucks (rot saong taew) or tuktuks.

I don't know where you got those figures? There is a 50 THB commission to be paid if you catch one from the airport. Outside the airport the fare begins at 150 THB. 120 THB anywhere around the city?? Maybe a few years ago.

There are independent taxis here from Bangkok now which are less than the CM metered taxis. But you have to find one and then get the guy's card for future use. There are also motorcycle taxis here now if you fancy sitting on the back of a motorcycle. Songtaews and tuk tuk's are the way to go unless you want air conditioning.

I Can recommend this guy Mr Anun. Taxi No 65 Speaks English And a good Driver. Tel 08 1883 3249

We pay 450 Baht to Lamphun from the Airport and the other way round. I would think it as got to be 45Kilometers 90 round trip we give him 500 He never lets us down.

Taxis are plentiful at CNX and I've never encountered any of the BKK-type problems with the drivers. My place is about 20 minutes from the airport, and that is a fixed price of 300Bt.

No problems unless you ask them to put the meter on. Outside the airport a while ago an older lady, struggling with 4 bags, asked a driver to take her to the Montri Hotel at Therpae Gate. He quoted her 300 baht.I just happened to be passing her on foot ,she asked was that the right price ? I of course said "no way" This brought an angry retort from the driver and he drove off. While this might be an isolated incident ,why will they not use the meters ? They would rather no customer than do the right thing. In Bangkok that trip distance would have been no more than 120 baht and he would have most likely picked up another fare at that location.

What time of day was that? Was the taxi booth inside the airport closed? When I came to CNX, it was the middle of the day so both booths were open. It should NEVER cost anyone more then 180B from the airport. Those booths are fixed price to anywhere in/ around the city.

Now after youre in the city its a different story to use the yellow meter taxi, red trucks, or tuk tuk. I would not use a yellow taxi in these case.

Inside its normally 20 baht (red trucks & tuk tuk) from one end of the moat to the other / other side of the square. The father you go out from the center of the city, the more expensive it becomes. Also, if you are outside the city center and want to go somewhere else, even if it is not in the city center, or really close by to where you are, its expensive.

example -

I go to Payap. Because it is "far", I'm always charges ALOT. To town for 1 person by Red Truck, I get charged 120B, going back to payap... same thing, another 120B. But to me that is a deal. (In this case, a metered taxi may not be good idea. I'll talk about that in a bit.) Prices goes down ALOT though if you have 2 or more people, which is normally best. But I have no friends here so I go everywhere alone :D!!!

Now from Payap's dorm to Carrefour off the super highway; one would think, "Oh its really close by about 3km, its cheap". WRONG, I'm charges 80B by Red truck for one way and thats after I bargain with them. They normally want 100B. (In this case, metered Taxi is best.) Although I should probably just walk to Carrefour...I hate lugging heavy things back to the dorm by foot especially in the afternoon heat! But it is just down the road and to the right from Payap's gate... -shakes fist at the sun and heat- :)

Metered taxi are best for short distances outside the middle of the city - This is with the meter turned on.

From Payap to Bamrungrad road (where the British consulate is) by red truck for 1 person I'm charged 100B. By metered taxi, I'm charged 50B (although the meter says 56B. I get a rounded down discount. :D).

I've never had a metered taxi take me into town yet, but if from Payap to Bamrungrad road is only 40B a person + 16B for distance, Metered Taxi might be ALOT cheaper, at least for 1 person. I'll have to try that soon.

I would NEVER pre- agree on a price with a metered taxi. Unless youre going very far out or up. Like Doi Inthanon, Doi Suthep, Lampang or something like that. They all have meters, they just might not be turned on. If you have to ask them to turn on the meter, you might not get an honest person. In this case... You should know where your destination is and the shortest route there. It might be best to study up on a map of Chiang mai then.

I dont know if its true for all metered taxi but from the guy I always call, the starting cost is 40B (per person? ) + distance. And nothing is better then a nice cold air conditioned taxi instead of the hot air conditioned red truck. lol

So its pretty much depends on if youre alone or not and how far youre going from the middle of town. You just need to be smart about it and do some math to save the most money.

But over all types of 4 wheeled transportation... if youre not carrying stuff and youre not far. Your own two feet are best. I think its the best way to explore the city. I've walked from Bamrungrad to Thapae before. Personally I hate heat... so I dont walk, but I've felth like walking since I've been here and even though it was hot and I was slightly sweating, I enjoyed it alot.

If youre going to walk or ride tuk tuk... You should wear a dust mask. I keep forgetting mine though. lol

I don't know where you got those figures? There is a 50 THB commission to be paid if you catch one from the airport. Outside the airport the fare begins at 150 THB. 120 THB anywhere around the city?? Maybe a few years ago.

There are independent taxis here from Bangkok now which are less than the CM metered taxis. But you have to find one and then get the guy's card for future use. There are also motorcycle taxis here now if you fancy sitting on the back of a motorcycle. Songtaews and tuk tuk's are the way to go unless you want air conditioning.

I was at the airport last week. As Yunnie says, I was quoted 120 baht, flat fare, for a regular "Metered" taxi and, iirc, 200 baht for an SUV. that's the price from the airport to anywhere within the city. I had too much luggage for a regular car, so I hired a songthiew for a private trip for 80 baht.

Walk all the way to the left, out of the terminal bldg.

There is a small booth there, usually with 1 or 2 ladies.

Say in English: "Airport Limousine".

"Where you want go?"

120 B flat rate anywhere inside Muang (main metro area), air conditioned Toyota Camry's.

If you don't know the drill, and walk out in front (before the far left exit) sure, you'll have a zillion cabs that just dropped off, trying to charge way more.

If you are headed far out of town, of course the price is more.

I've never paid more than 120 B for a perfect ride from CNX, to anywhere reasonable in town.... :)

Quick Edit: I've used this service a dozen times in the last few years, most recently 2 months ago. 120 B flat rate, anywhere to the usual areas.

If you have a reservation at Four Seasons, or Meridien, or another 5 star, or some way out of town place... of course those hotels will be picking you up for free.

If you don't have a clue where you're going, just follow the above recommendation, and say you want to go to "Tapae Gate" or where ever. 120 B.

I was at the airport last week. As Yunnie says, I was quoted 120 baht, flat fare, for a regular "Metered" taxi and, iirc, 200 baht for an SUV. that's the price from the airport to anywhere within the city. I had too much luggage for a regular car, so I hired a songthiew for a private trip for 80 baht.

That's interesting. Things must have changed recently. With this terrible economy I guess they seeing things in a different light.

What time of day was that? Was the taxi booth inside the airport closed? When I came to CNX, it was the middle of the day so both booths were open. It should NEVER cost anyone more then 180B from the airport. Those booths are fixed price to anywhere in/ around the city.

Now after youre in the city its a different story to use the yellow meter taxi, red trucks, or tuk tuk. I would not use a yellow taxi in these case.

Inside its normally 20 baht (red trucks & tuk tuk) from one end of the moat to the other / other side of the square. The father you go out from the center of the city, the more expensive it becomes. Also, if you are outside the city center and want to go somewhere else, even if it is not in the city center, or really close by to where you are, its expensive.

example -

I go to Payap. Because it is "far", I'm always charges ALOT. To town for 1 person by Red Truck, I get charged 120B, going back to payap... same thing, another 120B. But to me that is a deal. (In this case, a metered taxi may not be good idea. I'll talk about that in a bit.) Prices goes down ALOT though if you have 2 or more people, which is normally best. But I have no friends here so I go everywhere alone :D !!!

Now from Payap's dorm to Carrefour off the super highway; one would think, "Oh its really close by about 3km, its cheap". WRONG, I'm charges 80B by Red truck for one way and thats after I bargain with them. They normally want 100B. (In this case, metered Taxi is best.) Although I should probably just walk to Carrefour...I hate lugging heavy things back to the dorm by foot especially in the afternoon heat! But it is just down the road and to the right from Payap's gate... -shakes fist at the sun and heat- :)

Metered taxi are best for short distances outside the middle of the city - This is with the meter turned on.

From Payap to Bamrungrad road (where the British consulate is) by red truck for 1 person I'm charged 100B. By metered taxi, I'm charged 50B (although the meter says 56B. I get a rounded down discount. :D ).

I've never had a metered taxi take me into town yet, but if from Payap to Bamrungrad road is only 40B a person + 16B for distance, Metered Taxi might be ALOT cheaper, at least for 1 person. I'll have to try that soon.

I would NEVER pre- agree on a price with a metered taxi. Unless youre going very far out or up. Like Doi Inthanon, Doi Suthep, Lampang or something like that. They all have meters, they just might not be turned on. If you have to ask them to turn on the meter, you might not get an honest person. In this case... You should know where your destination is and the shortest route there. It might be best to study up on a map of Chiang mai then.

I dont know if its true for all metered taxi but from the guy I always call, the starting cost is 40B (per person? ) + distance. And nothing is better then a nice cold air conditioned taxi instead of the hot air conditioned red truck. lol

So its pretty much depends on if youre alone or not and how far youre going from the middle of town. You just need to be smart about it and do some math to save the most money.

But over all types of 4 wheeled transportation... if youre not carrying stuff and youre not far. Your own two feet are best. I think its the best way to explore the city. I've walked from Bamrungrad to Thapae before. Personally I hate heat... so I dont walk, but I've felth like walking since I've been here and even though it was hot and I was slightly sweating, I enjoyed it alot.

If youre going to walk or ride tuk tuk... You should wear a dust mask. I keep forgetting mine though. lol

I am new to the city and appreciate the information on transportation. If the guy you call speaks English, would you mind posting his number (if that is allowed - I saw a couple of other driver/taxi names and numbers posted on the forum).

They may or may not be cheaper then the Red Trucks (rot saong taew) or tuktuks.

If Red Trucks aren't significantly cheaper than meter taxis then you're doing something wrong. Most rides in town are 15 baht. Different league.

Or THEY (the red truck drivers) are doing something wrong. Unless you are a long term expat, like yourself, the red truck system is pretty difficult to figure out. When I first moved here, the drivers would quote me all kinds of prices for quick trips in town. Oddly enough, my Thai (from Bangkok) girlfriend had an even worst time. Usually the prices they told her were higher than what I was normally quoted!

I also once met an American doctor on holiday here from Hawaii. He was staying off of Neiman and would take a red truck to Kad Suan Gaew or Tapae area. After chatting with him a bit, not once had he ever paid less than 100 THB for the ride. Usually it was more.

Luckily for me, I ran across a timely ThaiVisa thread about the red trucks. I found out that most rides should be 20 baht and that my primary mistake was attempting to ask what the price was beforehand. I learned that I could just tell the driver where I wanted to go and when I got out just hand him a 20 baht bill. Even now I still get some drivers trying to protest and ask for more money. I usually just smile, shake my head a bit and walk away. Seems to do the trick. Additionally, I don't think I have EVER seen somebody only pay 15-baht for a trip. As I don't usually carry coins around with me, I doubt I can expect any driver to give me 5-baht change from my 20 baht bill. I know its probably partially my fault for not being able to speak fluent Thai to the driver and I am OK with that. But there is a huge difference in the driver overcharging me 5 and him overcharging some tourist 80 baht or more.

-Mestizo

They may or may not be cheaper then the Red Trucks (rot saong taew) or tuktuks.

If Red Trucks aren't significantly cheaper than meter taxis then you're doing something wrong. Most rides in town are 15 baht. Different league.

Or THEY (the red truck drivers) are doing something wrong. Unless you are a long term expat, like yourself, the red truck system is pretty difficult to figure out. When I first moved here, the drivers would quote me all kinds of prices for quick trips in town. Oddly enough, my Thai (from Bangkok) girlfriend had an even worst time. Usually the prices they told her were higher than what I was normally quoted!

Fair enough; I meant 'doing something wrong' in the sense that getting clued in will bring benefit. Didn't mean to say that all Red Bus drivers are saints. :)

Luckily for me, I ran across a timely ThaiVisa thread about the red trucks. I found out that most rides should be 20 baht and that my primary mistake was attempting to ask what the price was beforehand. I learned that I could just tell the driver where I wanted to go and when I got out just hand him a 20 baht bill. Even now I still get some drivers trying to protest and ask for more money. I usually just smile, shake my head a bit and walk away. Seems to do the trick. Additionally, I don't think I have EVER seen somebody only pay 15-baht for a trip.

I do. Last time I took one (admittedly a very short trip), 10 baht was enough. That was basically just from Moon Muang Soi 2 to Soi 7 though. (without the need to enter the soi obviously). I don't think I ever paid 20 other than when I don't have small change and am in a good mood. This applies to regular trips around town. When going out to your area I would indeed expect to be asked for more, depending on where I got on. (Perhaps to the point where it would be more cost effective to cut up the trip, with two short 15 baht trips, possibly also using the different colored out-of-town trucks. I think I could get to your place from downtown for 15 baht Red + 10 baht on the out-of-town truck.)

Also at night time drivers tend to ask for more; I have a feeling that most of your public transport consumption is/was at nighttime. :D

Big signs at the airport in English "Taxi to town centre 120bht", this is for any time day or night, the fare is fixed by the city.

(if you don't have a big bag and between 7am and 7pm, walk to Hang Dong road, pay Yellow songtaw 12bht for ride to ChiangMai gate)

Yellow songtaw 20km ride from San Patong to ChiangMai 17bht

Yellow songtaw 20km ride from Doi Sagett to Flower Market 16bht

You give them a 20bht note at the end of the journey, keep your hand out, and they put the change in your hand

Edited by sarahsbloke

I go to Payap. Because it is "far", I'm always charges ALOT. To town for 1 person by Red Truck, I get charged 120B, going back to payap... same thing, another 120B. But to me that is a deal. (In this case, a metered taxi may not be good idea. I'll talk about that in a bit.) Prices goes down ALOT though if you have 2 or more people, which is normally best. But I have no friends here so I go everywhere alone :D !!!

You're paying far too much! Don't even mention price, just get in and give him 15 Baht for a short trip, 20 Baht a bit further and 30 Baht for a long trip. You can get half way to Chiang Rai in a Songtaew for the prices you're paying.

As for the airport, 50 Baht plus the meter. They've usually had the meter running a while by the time I get in so just get them to reset it, or do so yourself if he's buggered off asking where the hel_l Mahidol Road is.