Thai Women Are Great!

cognos

Back in the day, I would have considered it bad form to rely on a friend, of any rank or position, to 'rescue' me. I didn't get myself into anything I couldn't get myself out of.

It is not just about longevity, either. It has more to do with learning the language and developing your own unique relationship with Thailand. Once you have your own life here, you are on a better footing to share a life with someone else.

You have made the step up from tourist and you are enjoying your increasing knowledge and expanding base of experience. Still you are somewhat limited to the portal that you have chosen. Perhaps when people find Thailand later in life they don't have the luxury of time, however.

As you pass through this phase and the many others that await you, I hope you enjoy continued success. Personally I think a few horrific experiences along the way add to our growth. Life is like learning to surf. It is hard to do without getting wet and wiping out badly along the way.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you pass through this phase and the many others that await you, I hope you enjoy continued success. Personally I think a few horrific experiences along the way add to our growth. Life is like learning to surf. It is hard to do without getting wet and wiping out badly along the way.

good analogy.Having a relationship with someone from a different culture is challenging to say the least,there can be misunderstandings along the way for both and the art of forgive and forget come into play.Any relationship i have had with thai women have been very rewarding and you learn something new about them and yourself every day.

[quote name='cognos'

good communication is at the heart of the matter, as is give and take, and knowing the unique nuances of the Thai lady, like backing off when their famous temper comes to the fore, but that is all part of the package, and noone is perfect eh?

Rather difficult to communicate with illogical, moody and demanding women, which is most Thai women in my 15 years experience of them. Crafty is another good description and I know a few who feel like some of the repliers on here who think their wives are wonderful, while being oblivious of what they really think of them, or how they are being ripped them off every month. In a usual hysterical 'discussion' over money the Mrs asked me did I not realise that 99% of Thai women only marry falangs for money? These days I agree with her they do, and the men they marry are often lonely mis fits in their own countries, so it's a good deal all round.

village farang..that is very true..in terms of time my experience is quite limited..however I have some degree of "street smarts", as i was a peace officer for 7 years and also taught woodwork in the prison system in a protective custody environment.. but wait.. i am NOT trying to blow my own horn..

..I agree I have not the experience of those that have lived in LOS long term, and I certainly do not wish to offend anyone's sensibilities, especially long term expats, who undoubtably have a wealth of experience in a myriad of ways. As my Dad once said, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing..

.. I keep coming back to LOS, and will take early retirement in about 3 years, then live there 6 months, and 6 months in Canada, to keep the medical.. the wife has 3 acres in Phuket, and as I am a carpenter by trade and know a few builders in Phuket, may get a house built there.

..but I am boring..lets discuss why we keep coming back, or staying in LOS.. the lovely women!!!

signed: I still have lots to learn mate

Okay, back to the women. Cross-cultural relationships can be richly rewarding for those with the right temperament.

With the overall odds of a relationship being successful, resting at less than 50%, I somehow doubt that most marriages between Thai and Farang are great. There are just too many additional challenges and many jump in without much common sense.

Again, get it right by picking the right one and life is wonderful. Get it wrong and your life will be a living hel_l.

I think your original premiss is a bit off. The 'VAST MAJORITY' is definitely stretching the believability factor.

Edited by villagefarang

Whatever you say about "Thai women", please bear in mind that there are roughly 40 million of them and they are as diverse as any other nationality.

We as farang (unfortunately) come in contact with only a very very small minority. A minority so small that any judgment as what or how Thai women are, is inevitably wrong. Statistically wrong, but also emotionally and logically.

I met my Thai wife 12 years ago and we decided to get married 2 months into our relationship, and we did. Coming June it's now 12 years that we are together, we have 2 kids and a great life.

She wasn't the first Thai girl I had met, so I guess I had my share of bad experiences already behind me. I know that the most important thing for two people from two different cultures to live together successfully is a constantly open mind and willingness to see and accept the other side. But then again isn't that the key to any successful marriage?

I know she is not the typical Thai woman, because there is no typical Thai woman. I just know she is a great person and I love her (and I wonder how she can cope with me).

BTW, in my circle of friends are at least 10 other mixed couples with a marriage longer than 10 years. So it's not that uncommon.

sweetest thai Chinese girl, have been together coming up 5 years and married for 2 years.

6 years living together for me and she is a thai/double chinese,beat you mate,and got big money

:D ..........can i have a chinese thai wife?Is it possible.Can i have a monthly allowance.If i can how much should she give me?Could this be a new topic please,how much money to give to a farang man who is poor but has a kind heart :)

my take on farang/thai relationships is that it is definitely based "on taking care" which means you have to have the means to do so,and if you do/can, then love will be returned to you for the taking care.However should you fall on hard times or go broke and your better half and here family are poor then she will "have" to move on as the thai govt. do not provide for down and outs like the west does.

Cognos..didnt you make Iike 30 other threads aIong the same Iines aIready? :D IoI..

Guys, "the VAST MAJORITY of them peopIe make the most fantastic platonic friends, gf's or wivesand partners for farang.everyone."

I guess for years to come peopIe wiII continue to bemoan or praise the opposite sex and cuItures based on their own personaI experiences rather than Iooking at the whoIe picture. Of course no one shouId discount their personaI expriences but summing up an entire gender, race, cuIture etc based on just that is, imo, smaII minded and unjust.

Thai women are no different than any other women in the world,there are some minor cultural differences but nothing significant. They all want,is the same things we all want, a little respect, love, some security, happiness for them selves and their family.

:)

I'm 49 and married for the first time last December after dating for over a year. She's Thai of course. She very sensitive and I even wondered if she was too timid but I can't imagine being with a woman with a bad temper. I'm too sensitive for that. I'd pout and hold it against her. She answered my online PM on a dating site a week after she turned 30, her self proclaimed "use by date". Both of us have been alone enough or in unsatisfactory relationships enough to appreciate what we have now. That's mutual respect, affection, sexual attraction, an uncanny similarity in likes and dislikes which of course doesn't include everything, trust, and an very strong desire never to walk through life alone again. My single friends tell me they're watching me (because if I can do this marriage thing anyone can). Actually, that's not true. I've worked through my grosser character defects and am now prepared to be married. Despite this, my hope was flickering before I met her because I just couldn't meet the right one. I had resigned myself to remaining single for life am am so glad I didn't settle. After we met I mentally searched and waited to pounce on reasons not to marry her. Before, they had always appeared but not this time.

I'm happy.

It depends a lot on the age difference (large difference - its obvious the motives involved). A young Thai woman with a young farang man is far more likely to involve genuine attraction on both sides - assuming the man isn't obviously wealthy.

On the other hand, an older Thai woman (from a poor background) knows that she is unlikely to find anyone better and is therefore going to try harder.

Cognos..didnt you make Iike 30 other threads aIong the same Iines aIready? :D IoI..

:) I read the thread title and the sub heading and knew without looking it was a new thread by olde aunty coggers :D

Thai (all) woman are great...when you're not married to her (them) :D

To the OP yes your 100% correct. Thai women by and large make great partners, just follow rules of common sense. If your looking to marry do so around your level, try for someone with a similar socio economic level and age bracket. If you can do that you cut out a HUGE amount of potential problems right there. And unless you would marry a whore from what ever country your from, don't do it here. If you can just keep those 2 simple rules in play your well on your way to a wonderful relationship.

my take on farang/thai relationships is that it is definitely based "on taking care" which means you have to have the means to do so,and if you do/can, then love will be returned to you for the taking care.However should you fall on hard times or go broke and your better half and here family are poor then she will "have" to move on as the thai govt. do not provide for down and outs like the west does.

Correct. But isn't it an aweful reality? To hel_l with one of those"relationships." Isn't your partner supposed to support you when you're going through the hard times! :)

Personally, i prefer to stay single here and bar fine as and when it suits me.

Total clarity :D

I think one of the big questions there should be in this topic is -- are we talking about bar girls or real Thais. The former are in a business. The latter are just people.

The bar girls are people as well; at least, the ones I know are. They're also real Thais. Passports or ID cards and everything.

Please, no racial profiling or other stereotypes.

SC

Thai women are no different than any other women in the world,there are some minor cultural differences but nothing significant.

Please allow me to offer a very different opinion.

Thai women offer good, bad, and in-between.

But American, British, Canadian, Aussie women?

Take a random sample of any of those, and see what you get in the way of attitude.

See if you get any of the love and caring described in many posts on this thread.

Compared to Thai women, you'll find almost nothing worth keeping in that lot.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Thai women are no different than any other women in the world,there are some minor cultural differences but nothing significant.

Take a random sample of any of those, and see what you get in the way of attitude.

See if you get any of the love and caring described in many posts on this thread.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Your opinion would be moronic even for a five year old :)

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Perhaps a pleasant story illustrating the OP's point, or perhaps something about how great other people are? Thai men? laotian women? Vietnamese lady-boys?

Thanks very much indeed

SC

PS

"...Thai women offer good, bad, and in-between...."

"I'll take something in-between, thanks"

Apologies for lowering the tone...

"But American, British, Canadian, Aussie women?

See if you get any of the love and caring described in many posts on this thread."

There's a reason for that - American, Brit, Canadian and Aussie women tend to have the nerve to consider themselves the man's equal :D .

There's another reason why you'll find women happy to give you "the love and caring descibed in many posts in this thread". Clearly it has nothing to do with money. :)

Thanks very much indeed

SC

Cowboy --

You might notice that the title of this thread is a stereotype -- a generalization about Thai women.

It is exactly that stereotype that has motivated millions of men to travel to a far side of the world.

On the other hand, if you want to be a missionary for political correctness, you will find a fertile field in the "Ladies in Thailand" section.

So much stereotyping over there that you'll be busy posting "pleases" for a very long time.

I hope you'll let us know if you have any success in reaching your objective.

Now, please, back to the benefits of Thai Women.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

American, Brit, Canadian and Aussie women tend to have the nerve to consider themselves the man's equal

F1 brings forward an important point.

It's true.

In the past 20 years or so, the concept of woman's equality has spread everywhere in English-speaking countries.

But not here in Thailand.

In the past 20 years or so, millions of men from English-speaking countries have made the effort to travel to Thailand.

Primarily for the Thai women, who don't have the nerve to consider themselves the man's equal.

Thankfully, men have a choice.

The millions of women left behind may not be so pleased about that, but they do consider themselves the man's equal, don't they.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Correct. But isn't it an aweful reality? To hel_l with one of those"relationships." Isn't your partner supposed to support you when you're going through the hard times! :)

Personally, i prefer to stay single here and bar fine as and when it suits me.

Total clarity :D

yes but what if you want more,then you have to take the plunge,take a chance.and yes in a perfect world you think either would take of each other,but if there's no way of putting rice on the table(extreme i know)then one or the other or both has to find a provider.The farang man i would guess would go home and the thai lady find another provider out of sheer necessity.sad fact of life,lets hope for any of us it would not come to that.

Thanks very much indeed

SC

Cowboy --

You might notice that the title of this thread is a stereotype -- a generalization about Thai women.

It is exactly that stereotype that has motivated millions of men to travel to a far side of the world.

On the other hand, if you want to be a missionary for political correctness, you will find a fertile field in the "Ladies in Thailand" section.

So much stereotyping over there that you'll be busy posting "pleases" for a very long time.

I hope you'll let us know if you have any success in reaching your objective.

Now, please, back to the benefits of Thai Women.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

You're right that the title of the thread portrays a stereotype, and that that stereotpye has motivated very many people to come to Thailand. However, the OP was eliciting specific examples to support a counter-claim to negative stereotypes of Thai women based on horror stories which, on deeper study, often resulted from the failings of the alleged victim.

Now, I can see that people might want to come up with posts like "Its not just Thai women who are great: my wife / girlfriend / masseuse / accountant is Vietnamese ? Nigerian / Welsh and she is great / lovely / whatever and go on to explain in more detail.

But to post negative stereotypes of white women neither supports nor contradicts the OP's point of view, nor, really, adds anything to it. I suppose one could infer from your negative stereotypes "we only think Thai women are great because we have a negative image of Western women, and Thai women offer a different image".

I met a Thai lady a few weeks ago, and pigeon-holed her (so to speak); as I learnt more about her, she conformed more and more to that stereoype. We went out for lunch the other day, and she proved to be a charming lady, although communication was difficult, as her English was not great, and my Thai is negligible.

I'm not really a missionary for political correctness, although I have taken a missionary position from time to time to make my point, as it were. I feel that the Ladies Forum tends to be quite broad-minded, although I think a lot of the ladies there resent poorly thought-out or rude postings on that forum, and from time to time, I think that they sometimes mistake good-natured teasing for misogyny or prejudice.

Anyway, credit where credit is due - thanks for an articulate and clearly worded response, which is very much appreciated...

SC