A Visit At Tiger Factory

obmx

Just a thought about the brakes. Check if Honda still sells brakes for the original. They are likely interchangable and the Honda quality should be better. I understand that drum brakes simply aren't that good especially with this funny front end but the Honda pads are surely better if they still sell them.

here some local website ( south thailand) that may have those pieces 88part.com ...they ship nationwide and the guy responds to emails in english and swiftly.

xomb

TIGER has 300 staff. The happy workplace environment is striking. Many died in the wool bikers work here, not surprisingly.

IMHO the Tiger Boxer 250 RS has more power than the X-Road.

Here are some of my photos.

Ride on,

Chris

Hi Chris,actually the Boxer has 18 Hp's while the X-road has 21hp. I can't really tell if it was much different as i wasn't testing the x-road myself that day but will do so soon.

Will tell you how i saw it when driving it myself....if they let me on TV :)

xomb

Just a thought about the brakes. Check if Honda still sells brakes for the original. They are likely interchangable and the Honda quality should be better. I understand that drum brakes simply aren't that good especially with this funny front end but the Honda pads are surely better if they still sell them.

here some local website ( south thailand) that may have those pieces 88part.com ...they ship nationwide and the guy responds to emails in english and swiftly.

xomb

There are many companies that sell brakes in Thailand but Honda are pretty much always better and not much more expensive (unless you are talking about some expensive imported ones).

Will tell you how i saw it when driving it myself....if they let me on TV :D

If you would pay some advertising bahts, like everybody else who fairly promote their businesses on Thai Visa, rather than creeping around the woodwork, popping up with a new nic everytime somebody wants to ask a question about a Tiger motorbike, we would not only let you, we would do our best to have as many people see it as possible.

Food for thought...... :)

If you would pay some advertising bahts, like everybody else who fairly promote their businesses on Thai Visa, rather than creeping around the woodwork, popping up with a new nic everytime somebody wants to ask a question about a Tiger motorbike, we would not only let you, we would do our best to have as many people see it as possible.

i actually did so 6 month ago without feedback and fyi i just sent another request...hope i can get a firm membername than...

pick any username of my past

xomb

There are many companies that sell brakes in Thailand but Honda are pretty much always better and not much more expensive (unless you are talking about some expensive imported ones).

Hmm, yes I didn't think about that. The brake pads material is of course of major importance as on a dish brake. I also thinking about the Wave/Dream drum brakes how easily they will be to mount instead of standard Tiger's. I noticed that on my Fino the rear drum is nearly double as big as the Retro's, but this is obviously a hand brake so it has to be more power full at less force applied.

i actually did so 6 month ago without feedback and fyi i just sent another request...hope i can get a firm membername than...

pick any username of my past

Thanx. I'll make sure marketing is on it.

I hope in May to visit the company again and discover, among other things, which tools are needed.

A spanner to undo the mounting bolts (front, bottom and behind the seat) and the brake cable, and a knife to cut the wires to the front and rear lights!

I will not recommend to " disconnect" the side car if you want that set-up. I just bought the side car model, and yes relatively easy to disconnect the side car when looking at the brackets/wires for light, but when attaching later it will have to be aligned properly or the rig will drag.

Yes the brakes are too weak, wish something could be done about it :)

Agreed, 100%. I can't see any point in buying the sidecar model and then taking the sidecar off, and I can't think of any good reason why anyone would want to. Any more comments on the retro/sidecar driving experience since you got it - enough power uphills, any handlebar shake, what about the "funny front end", are the brakes really that much worse than other drum set ups, etc??

Agreed, 100%. I can't see any point in buying the sidecar model and then taking the sidecar off, and I can't think of any good reason why anyone would want to. Any more comments on the retro/sidecar driving experience since you got it - enough power uphills, any handlebar shake, what about the "funny front end", are the brakes really that much worse than other drum set ups, etc??

Hi john, well I started a topic here earlier called, the Retro with side car arrived.

I haven't run the baby in yet so I try to take it easy, but I am positively surprised by the torque on the engine which can easily pull the rig fully loaded. This rig is off course best for short trips, going to the beach-shopping and so on, haven't planned any trips to Chang Mai :D

Yes getting some handle bar shaking now and then but mostly when passing speed bumps and holes, otherwise no problem.

Regarding the brakes, I will try to look into if possible to maybe change the brake pads for something better, or even mount Wave/Dream drums on it. I haven't driven a front drum brake bike for a long time so maybe its just me, but I find the brakes not adequate, incl rear drum brakes. :)

I gave up years ago.

I thought the X-Road was a bit asthmatic but I didn't ride the Boxer. Didn't you guys ride the G-Max?. OK it's a scooter but felt quicker than the X-Road, as did the Kick Ass. G-Max had very good brakes for a scooter.

Are we allowed to mention the skeleton bike with the gas tank as part of the aluminium frame? Will it be bigger than 250?

Edited by VocalNeal

Regarding the brakes, I will try to look into if possible to maybe change the brake pads for something better, or even mount Wave/Dream drums on it. I haven't driven a front drum brake bike for a long time so maybe its just me, but I find the brakes not adequate, incl rear drum brakes. :)

I would think that Tiger could supply a new front end easily as they produce both disc and drum brake front ends for other models. For the sidecar i would go with a disc but without the side car i would look at a drum brake so it still looks a little Retro. I rode a kawasaki 110 for a year with a drum brake no problems. I actually prefer them on the light bikes.

vocal.. NO you cannot mention THAT one!

Edited by thaicbr

Anyone know why modern (non-Japanese) 250cc singles lack power compared to say a 1980 Honda RS250 which had 30hp and could touch a 150-160kmph???

Greg. I might be wrong but were the Honda Rs250's 2 stroke. That in its self would explain the difference.

Allan

Anyone know why modern (non-Japanese) 250cc singles lack power compared to say a 1980 Honda RS250 which had 30hp and could touch a 150-160kmph???

The Japs were notorious at measuring hp figures way back then, even worse than they are now.

No way did the RS 250 make 30 hp, not at the back wheel, crankshaft or even the petcock.

I had mine dynoed when it was well run in and it made all of 20 bhp at the rear wheel and would run up to an indicated 95 mph, maybe a true 86-88 mph, 140 kph.

Having said that, lovely little bike.

The Japs were notorious at measuring hp figures way back then, even worse than they are now.

No way did the RS 250 make 30 hp, not at the back wheel, crankshaft or even the petcock.

I had mine dynoed when it was well run in and it made all of 20 bhp at the rear wheel and would run up to an indicated 95 mph, maybe a true 86-88 mph, 140 kph.

Looks like modern HP are much more powerful. A legendary CBR Driver here gets his CBR 150 (15 HP) up to 140 km/h Makes you wonder :)

Looks like modern HP are much more powerful. A legendary CBR Driver here gets his CBR 150 (15 HP) up to 140 km/h Makes you wonder :)

yep. the cbr150 is a very light bike and if the rider is light then 140km/h is very achievably

Y'all know I'm a CBR whore, but any decently sized expat will hit an indicated 140; going a real 140 on a stock CBR will be downhill fully tucked in with the wind at your back.

And AFAIK nobody has ever produced a dyno sheet for the CBR....thus speculations (which have ranged from the 15 listed above all the way up to 21) are just that; speculations.

How does one go about getting a tour of the Tiger factory?

This would be of great interest to me. Any contact info?

Hi , it was announced on other Bikers website/Forums. Will try to arrange another one in a couple of month's again ( if possible at all) and post it here.

I gave up years ago.

I thought the X-Road was a bit asthmatic but I didn't ride the Boxer. Didn't you guys ride the G-Max?. OK it's a scooter but felt quicker than the X-Road, as did the Kick Ass. G-Max had very good brakes for a scooter.

Are we allowed to mention the skeleton bike with the gas tank as part of the aluminium frame? Will it be bigger than 250?

Hi ,

The aluframe....lets not mention that one ( it is also the reason why no pics were allowed in this room), as it is in developement stage for an overseas Manufacturer . But it looked pretty sexy when we went . I saw it yesterday a bit closer to finish and it has 250 cc ( not+ ) .

I did test the X-road yesterday and must say that i was positively surprised. There are sure certain things that could be "more" but i found the ride comfortable and it took the bumps "ok" for a road bike with "light offroad" abilities....need to add that i am not an offroader so real offroaders as we had in outr group wished for more power and possibly better shock absorbing.

The G-max is a very nice bike and unfortunately i never actually rode it but what i read on feedbacks it seems a great scooter.

happy trails,

Mbox

ah & don't be confused over my usernames...working on a solution on this with Thaivisa.

I am wondering how the registration and clearance of the sidecar is done.. Here on Phuket police seem to say ANY sidecar no matter how well made is illegal.. Not only rebar type samlors but any 3 wheel bike setup. Someone with a goldwing and sidecar was lamenting the issue.

Is it how they are first registered or ??

Hi.

I, too, believe it depends on if the bike was originally made with a sidecar or without it. If it originally was a solo bike then the sidecar counts as a trailer and needs separate registration - indeed i have twice seen bikes with sidecars (one Harley and one Moto Guzzi) where the sidecar had it's own license plate - which, frankly, looks quite ridiculous.

Best regards.....

Thanh

The feedback on the sidecar question & legality from Tiger Motors( edited)

This is because to get the vehicle register as motorcycle with side car, the manufacturer have to go the Land of transportation depart and get it approval on the models + side car that would be used. Other manufacturer do not want to do this, because 1. they do not produce side car 2. they want to have excuse to void the warranty as the vehicle would no longer be standard. Since we are the only one who produce both motorcycle and side car, so this is why we are the only one who can register sidecar.

However, you may ask why there are other side car with motorcycle on the road, technically there are illegal. This is because not many people know about this, even the police themselves, or sometime they just not bothered.

The importer can get the legal but need cooperation from the company that they imported i.e. proved that the vehicle is safe under this condition, etc. However, I doubt any importer would do it since most of the importers here are not really a real appointed distributor.

hope that clarifies things,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Edited by Tigersachsclub

• 7 months later...

? Anyone know of any future Tiger Samutprakarn factory tours that may be happening ?

Mbox? Could make it an annual event?

of maybe a Kawasaki tour.

Why should MBox organizes a Kawasaki tour?

I would do the factory visit another time. Hoping for longer testrides and promo gear, like stickers etc.

Maybe you find more people in the FORUM on: www.tigersachsclub.com

? Anyone know of any future Tiger Samutprakarn factory tours that may be happening ?

I would do the factory visit another time. Hoping for longer testrides and promo gear, like stickers etc.

Right Handong :thumbsup::lol: Maybe we shall change from Tigersachsclub.com into Tigersachskawasakiyamahahondasuzukiktmlifanzongshenstallionbmwducatitriumphharleyplatinum.com and try to make factory tours in all of them??:whistling::rolleyes::lol:

Need to point out , i made some Tiger/Sachs stickers -available for tiger sachs forum members.

I will check maybe sometime next year we can visit Tiger/Sachs Motors in Samut Prakarn again . Will announce this on Tiger/Sachs Forum when the dates are confirmed.

mbox

Who suggested mbox should organize Kawa tour?

They are two separate sentences albeit badly typed.

I would happily do the tour again. That is why I suggested annually.

• 1 month later...
<BR>TIGER has 300 staff. The happy workplace environment is striking. Many died in the wool bikers work here, not surprisingly.<BR><BR>IMHO the Tiger Boxer 250 RS has more power than the X-Road. <BR><BR>Here are some of my photos. <BR><BR>Ride on,<BR>Chris<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>hello from bill at www.moto-scoot.net we are a dealership, and product evaluator for 3 different importers here in the u.s. i have been recently captivated by posts made regarding tiger. seems most of the world, and even in their own country , little is known about them. we have a keen eye for new products, and see the tt150, and the cx135 as very desirable for the u.s. market where there is a void for the small cc bikes. could you please give me some real insder info? cheerz!!! my private email at work is posted on our contact page.....thanks very very much